Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-04-2020, 08:27 AM   #31
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Dual Cab utes - broken chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
That's the way to go. The little jap trucks are great on fuel and like you say can carry an amazing amount. Mine being a 12ft (3.6m) people ask me why I didn't fit a tipping tray.
Handy as it is, tipping trays will add extra weight to your tare and take away from the payload capabilities.
Looking at some of those dual cab ute chassis, you can see the cheap pressed steel insets and joiners used where as the full C or boxed chassis the proper trucks use are straight and join free along the rear load area.
About to convert a second small truck to a full tray shortly, well worth the money due to it being a fully boxed chassis.

Save your dual cab for the fun offroad vehicle stuff.
I saw the Isuzu NPR has a 5.2L 4 cylinder engine, I reckon that'll wake up with a play

I think my next weekender is going to be a small Jap truck like a Dyna 300
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-04-2020, 08:31 AM   #32
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I saw the Isuzu NPR has a 5.2L 4 cylinder engine, I reckon that'll wake up with a play

I think my next weekender is going to be a small Jap truck like a Dyna 300
I would go with the Isuzu not the Dyna.

roKWiz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2020, 09:20 AM   #33
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The jap trucks are stinking rough to drive though compared to a ute
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2020, 09:29 AM   #34
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon SXR8 View Post
The jap trucks are stinking rough to drive though compared to a ute
Older one maybe but newer ones feature independent front suspension or tapered leaf front ends.

Old 30-04-2020, 10:42 AM   #35
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Older one maybe but newer ones feature independent front suspension or tapered leaf front ends.
If buying a work vehicle you have to compromise load vs ride.The small trucks are pretty hard in the rear susp when empty,but smooth out with a bit of weight.The single cab utes are the same until you put 3-400 kgs on the tray. Some of the twin cab utes are nearly on the bump stops when you throw the toolbox in.So either you carry a load or you drive a non load carrying show pony
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 30-04-2020, 10:55 AM   #36
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
If buying a work vehicle you have to compromise load vs ride.The small trucks are pretty hard in the rear susp when empty,but smooth out with a bit of weight.The single cab utes are the same until you put 3-400 kgs on the tray. Some of the twin cab utes are nearly on the bump stops when you throw the toolbox in.So either you carry a load or you drive a non load carrying show pony
Yes agree,
Even Jap truck chassis rails can break overloaded. I remember a few Isuzu no tilt car carrying trucks breaking. Small size Isuzu's have the wider, wide chassis width of 840mm to compensate for that these days.
One reason the Ford Trader was so popular as a beaver tail car/tractor hauler was the fact it used a full box chassis as opposed to its competitors at the time.

This user likes this post:
Old 30-04-2020, 11:15 AM   #37
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

You're right on the poor ride of the Jap trucks, even loaded up, they throw you around heaps.

If you're a fat bastard like me just pop into Bras n Things and pick up a sports bra and you're good to go
4 users like this post:
Old 30-04-2020, 11:36 AM   #38
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
You're right on the poor ride of the Jap trucks, even loaded up, they throw you around heaps.

If you're a fat bastard like me just pop into Bras n Things and pick up a sports bra and you're good to go
Wuss. That's not the truck, that's the goat track roads here.

Old 30-04-2020, 11:59 AM   #39
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Wuss. That's not the truck, that's the goat track roads here.
Goat tracks? You get the privilege of goat tracks?

Back in my day we only had paddocks laid with mines and punji sticks we had to cross to get to our job sweeping chimneys.
5 users like this post:
Old 30-04-2020, 12:02 PM   #40
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Goat tracks? You get the privilege of goat tracks?

Back in my day we only had paddocks laid with mines and punji sticks we had to cross to get to our job sweeping chimneys.
And you tell the young that today and they won't believe you. Now where did I leave my bullock.

4 users like this post:
Old 30-04-2020, 12:33 PM   #41
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Anyone who is going to spend well over 100k for a few year old ute probably could afford a second car.
yep granted, mind you some probably are hocked out anyway and the Mrs's only has her suv or whatever.
The point is your out and about on the job or whatever in your overpriced POS older Ram or FSeries huge pick up, as if your going to go home jump into your 2nd car back to the small tight carparks so moot point sorry Ben.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2020, 12:53 PM   #42
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
yep granted, mind you some probably are hocked out anyway and the Mrs's only has her suv or whatever.
The point is your out and about on the job or whatever in your overpriced POS older Ram or FSeries huge pick up, as if your going to go home jump into your 2nd car back to the small tight carparks so moot point sorry Ben.
Everyone whinges about small car parks yet HSV is so busy pumping out RAM 1500 and Silverado 1500 that their production line is flat out.

There's obviously demand for these vehicles and the people buying don't seem to have this car park disaster that precludes them from the shopping center.

City car parks are so small that a dual cab Ranger doesn't even fit in them properly yet those still fly off the dealership floor.

Personally I don't see the problem,

A Mitsubishi outlander barely fits in my colleagues car stacker at his apartment building yet everyone still has SUVs

I think people are just salty that there's an increasing market for $100,000+ American Utes with big engines and people who can afford them are buying regardless of car park sizes.
Old 30-04-2020, 01:46 PM   #43
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

be interesting how many actually are in the burbs.
My only whinge is that are over rated older POS as well
Old 30-04-2020, 01:49 PM   #44
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
be interesting how many actually are in the burbs.
My only whinge is that are over rated older POS as well
I live out regional - popular out here every builder and his dog has one.

I work in Melbourne, you see them around our freeways on the regular, I don't see it being a problem in suburbia, might have dramas in an apartment complex or some underground car parks.
Old 30-04-2020, 04:36 PM   #45
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

who'd have thought it eh, an aftermarket guy saying it's the base ute's fault it breaks, and not his aftermakret parts?
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2020, 04:41 PM   #46
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
who'd have thought it eh, an aftermarket guy saying it's the base ute's fault it breaks, and not his aftermakret parts?
Nah, I think he has been reading my mail.

Old 30-04-2020, 05:09 PM   #47
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And you tell the young that today and they won't believe you. Now where did I leave my bullock.
A bullock ? Pure luxury !! I had to make do with a donkey.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-04-2020, 05:22 PM   #48
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
I live out regional - popular out here every builder and his dog has one.

I work in Melbourne, you see them around our freeways on the regular, I don't see it being a problem in suburbia, might have dramas in an apartment complex or some underground car parks.
and here in Sydney my areas I see 1, a roof tiler next door to my factory complex.
Anywhere else I drive hardly see them, I've seen more F150/250's than spotting Ram/Sliverados and there dime a dozen as well.
Old 30-04-2020, 06:08 PM   #49
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Some of this might be a marketing ploy by the FCAI https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFlVv9LnRVg
Old 01-05-2020, 02:02 PM   #50
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As a broken chassis on current imported dual cabs appear to be common knowledge, ( there are enough photos around, and the proprietor of a well known outback Qld service centre can attest to ), how has this fault affected Australian built utes in the past.

I have a Crewman, so I am a bit sceptical about the suitability of broken utes that can supposedly can carry 1000kg and tow 3,500 kg. I certainly would not use mine for that purpose.

Both the Falcon and Crewman utes rear chassis is, simplistically, bolted or glued to the cab, and do not extend from the front bumper to the rear bumper, as per imported utes.
Has anybody heard or seen a Falcon or Crewman breaking in the middle ?
Or are Australian built cab/chassis utes better engineered and built with better materials ?
Old 01-05-2020, 02:14 PM   #51
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
As a broken chassis on current imported dual cabs appear to be common knowledge, ( there are enough photos around, and the proprietor of a well known outback Qld service centre can attest to ), how has this fault affected Australian built utes in the past.

I have a Crewman, so I am a bit sceptical about the suitability of broken utes that can supposedly can carry 1000kg and tow 3,500 kg. I certainly would not use mine for that purpose.

Both the Falcon and Crewman utes rear chassis is, simplistically, bolted or glued to the cab, and do not extend from the front bumper to the rear bumper, as per imported utes.
Or are Australian built cab/chassis utes better engineered and built with better materials ?
Nah, proper Aussie built, proportions are right, probably there are a few around with stupid owners who overloaded them but those Thai specials frames are made from chipboard.

Old 01-05-2020, 02:22 PM   #52
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Probably if you carried 400kg on the tailgate of your aussie built ute it would break just like the Thai built.Single cabs don’t have the problem because they carry the weight where it should be carried. Between the front and rear axles and over the rear axle not mainly behind it
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 01-05-2020, 02:24 PM   #53
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There was an AU ute posted on here where the chassis broke upwards. It had a frame bolted to the tray and hit something overhead.

Other ones I've seen bent were from airbags.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2020, 03:19 PM   #54
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

You do realise that most of guys who designed the Falcon ute chassis also designed the Ranger right?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2020, 04:01 PM   #55
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
You do realise that most of guys who designed the Falcon ute chassis also designed the Ranger right?
I don't have personal experience, but a quick google search showed that the Ranger is not immune.
So are you inferring that a Falcon ute can break, or that a Ranger won't ?
I find it a bit 'funny' that TV ads for Raptors showed them flying over jumps, but Ford then recommended that owners don't try to emulate what they had seen in the ads.
A bit like the indestructible "General Lee" that never got a scratch on it despite what the Duke boys did to it.
Personally I think that breakages occur due to incorrect loading brought about by manufacturers over-hype regarding capabilities, plus a little bit of cost cutting after initial designs are approved.
Old 01-05-2020, 05:09 PM   #56
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That's the way to go. The little jap trucks are great on fuel and like you say can carry an amazing amount. Mine being a 12ft (3.6m) people ask me why I didn't fit a tipping tray.
Handy as it is, tipping trays will add extra weight to your tare and take away from the payload capabilities.
Looking at some of those dual cab ute chassis, you can see the cheap pressed steel insets and joiners used where as the full C or boxed chassis the proper trucks use are straight and join free along the rear load area.
About to convert a second small truck to a full tray shortly, well worth the money due to it being a fully boxed chassis.

Save your dual cab for the fun offroad vehicle stuff.
Well, you can always use a 4x4 Jap truck for work & fun too.

I've worked out of a 70 series as a mechanic and we also had dual cab Hiluxs for field service and breakdowns. Before taking the purchase and build prices into account, you couldn't find more compromised vehicles and I'm buggered if I know why companies and contractors persist with them. Poor deck space and carrying capacity, no interior room (dual cabs were ok, at the expensive of deck size. But when fitted with ROPS, pretty much impossible to climb into the back), a dog to drive once loaded at CGM. Rear axle ratings are a joke and only there for marketing purposes.

Our 250hp 10 tonne UD was about $20k more expensive to set up than the 79 series, but 100 times better at doing the job. A smaller N series Isuzu would narrow the price difference to the over priced Land Cruiser. The N series also has cup holders and cruise control as standard aswell

Regarding the dual cabs chassis, how many of them tow off road...
A 1-2 tonne off road camper hooked onto an extended tow bar to suit the larger tray will exacerbate the load placed on the chassis. In particular the push/pull motion of the trailer going over corrugations and road undulations.

Last edited by smoo; 01-05-2020 at 05:14 PM.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 01-05-2020, 05:50 PM   #57
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:

i have seen falcon utes bend their chases, 1 was from airbags and stupid loads and the other peeled where it mounted to the cab. as with all the failures it because they were abused
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2020, 06:06 PM   #58
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I’ve seen photos of one failed Falcon ute, it was T-boned. The chassis tore progressively out the cabin rear box section, in engineering perspective it was a near-perfect dissipation of impact stress - unfortunately not enough to save the wholly innocent driver.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2020, 06:10 PM   #59
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
Well, you can always use a 4x4 Jap truck for work & fun too.

No, I like duals on the back, thanks.

Old 01-05-2020, 08:10 PM   #60
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a front tray mount snap on one of my FG one tonners when I overloaded it, i reckon I had 1400kg of pavers onboard. Ford fixed it under warranty. Some work body utes I see are so clearly overloaded everyday it’s no wonder the chassis fatigues and breaks.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz