Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 04-12-2008, 10:28 AM   #1
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Default Instant fuel consumption

I think I read on here that there is a software update to get instand fuel consumption on the non XR5 dash cars.

Is this true?
What do I need to specifically ask to be done?

I've got mine going in for the 15K next week and want to get them to do it, so it means warning them before hand that it hsa to be done.

Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2008, 04:08 PM   #2
TheColonel

You need to them update the software for the instrument cluster, it does exisit and can be done, on my XR5 it took about 30 mins to update via the IDS.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:40 PM   #3
Zippy7

It's such a shame that I will have to *ask* the dealership to do this update for me. I wish they'd just do it as a service to their customers.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:54 PM   #4
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Zippy7, I'm puzzled by your comments. It’s not unusual for running changes to be made as cars develop through their model life. To suggest that any manufacturer should simply apply these changes to older cars is a bit rich. It seems Ford Europe has made a change to the programming of the BCM in recent cars, it also seems this running change can be retro fitted which is nice if you want it, that does not mean that every dealer has been notified by Ford that this is possible. It also does not mean that you will get this upgrade for free.
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2008, 08:00 AM   #5
Zippy7

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulie0735
Zippy7, I'm puzzled by your comments. It’s not unusual for running changes to be made as cars develop through their model life. To suggest that any manufacturer should simply apply these changes to older cars is a bit rich. It seems Ford Europe has made a change to the programming of the BCM in recent cars, it also seems this running change can be retro fitted which is nice if you want it, that does not mean that every dealer has been notified by Ford that this is possible. It also does not mean that you will get this upgrade for free.
Hmmm. Well, I guess this is just a case of different expectations of the Ford brand/service guys. Just for reference - this is my first Ford.

From my experience with other brands, my personal expectation is that any and all software updates would be provided/installed for free/gratis. Normally this sort of this would be automatically done at the scheduled car service. I'd certainly be surprised/offended if they wanted to charge me for them do it, especially since I would expect them to connect up the OBD. If I want a car service without having factory updates, I would consider taking the car elsewhere.

Mind you, if I just went there seeking this update, then I don't think it unreasonable to compensate them for spending time on it. But as part of a car service, I'd expect it done for free without any charges.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:34 AM   #6
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Got the car back from the service. There is no update for the instrument cluster. Must only be for the XR5 Turbo model. The standard display fo rthe rest of us is what it is.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:41 PM   #7
Lord Viykor
XR5 convert

Mine goes in for a service tommrow, I'm askeing them to do this update.
The mods: Window tint | Fomoco alloy pedals | Red painted brake calipers | THB Bury bluetooth | Bluefin | GGR CAI | Bilstein B6 sports dampers | Eilbach lowered coils | 2XS Inhaler (Top Induction Pipe) | EBC Ultimax discs and EBC red stuff brake pads | Mongoose 3" dump with Mongoose 3" 200 cell cat into custom system with Varex mufflers | Forge re-circ valve | Airtech intercooler coming soon
Lord Viykor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2008, 05:52 PM   #8
PedroinTas
Frozen White Mondeo TDCI

Default Instantaneous Fuel readout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1
Got the car back from the service. There is no update for the instrument cluster. Must only be for the XR5 Turbo model. The standard display fo rthe rest of us is what it is.
I'm not sure what you guys mean on this one. My TDCI is a May 08 build and has instantaneous fuel consumption. Put the foot down and it instantly climbs up in Litres per hour consumption.

I'm not sure if this came as standard as a part of the May 08 build, or if the dealer loaded the latest updates before delivery (I asked them to do this but, given that they forgot to do almost everything else, I'm not sure that they did).
Bluetooth
Euro Plates
Towpack
:
PedroinTas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2008, 06:36 PM   #9
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

It’s not something that our dealers here would necessarily (automatically) know about. It seems that at least one dealer (the one The Colonel uses) has investigated this and found the update patch, could well be that they got the updated software themselves.
Knowing how dealers work, I suspect it’s not an official Ford Aus update patch so any dealers uploading an ‘unauthorised’ software modification could actually be in breach of their agreements with Ford Aus.
One could argue that it would be like asking a dealer to flash the FPV F6 tune into your XR6T, perfectly doable and perfectly safe but a reputable dealer would never agree to do it for you, and if they did they could easily loose their FPV license if they were caught.
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2008, 09:26 PM   #10
TheColonel

Ok, so the IDS system, the little laptop that plugs into your car and does all the diags and updates, gets update discs set out by ford to update the IDS sytem and any updates for cars that use the system, the IDS is also updated in between times via internet updates, so the only way a dealer can update anything on your car is via the IDS and the updates that ford send or push to it... so yeah the update does exist, it's obviously been released by ford au as it was out in march in the EU and took till like Sept/Oct to be released into the system here, it took about 30mins for the update to be applied to my car. Does it exisit for TDCi and Zetec... well, the first question would be is instant fuel consumption availble on the current models of those varients? From reading the UK forum, from what i remember, yeah it was available for cars with the HMI and those without... anyways, never any harm in asking, it will be interesting to see if anyone else has any luck...

Realistically, the ford dealer isn't going to update anything at a normal service, unless there is a TSB regarding an required update, if it aint broke, dont mess with it but if you ask, they should comply with your request, if they can find it and / or do it, then yay!!!

Thats all...
Old 10-12-2008, 09:53 PM   #11
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Thanks Colonel. Seems as though it won't be done here or to our cars, as the guys can't find it. It is the second dealer I've asked about this, and this is part of thier plan to beat you. If someone else can get it done to their TDCi, then I'll get what they got done to their's done to mine.
Previous:
Old 11-12-2008, 03:17 PM   #12
Lord Viykor
XR5 convert

Torque Ford are telling me that it can not be done on my XR5. They are saying it is only for the builds from april 08 onwards.
The mods: Window tint | Fomoco alloy pedals | Red painted brake calipers | THB Bury bluetooth | Bluefin | GGR CAI | Bilstein B6 sports dampers | Eilbach lowered coils | 2XS Inhaler (Top Induction Pipe) | EBC Ultimax discs and EBC red stuff brake pads | Mongoose 3" dump with Mongoose 3" 200 cell cat into custom system with Varex mufflers | Forge re-circ valve | Airtech intercooler coming soon
Old 11-12-2008, 06:24 PM   #13
GRT046
Mondeo TDCi

I am afraid that I am a great believer that "If it ain't broke don't fix it" Even if it is available for the TDCi I think that it is a feature I can do without.

I would rather have reduced service cost than extra goodies. The TDCi as it comes, with the boxes I ticked (Leather, Sunroof and Bluetooth) is pretty much the complete package as far as I am concerned.
Sunroof
GRT046 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2008, 11:41 PM   #14
TheColonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Viykor
Torque Ford are telling me that it can not be done on my XR5. They are saying it is only for the builds from april 08 onwards.
It came pre-loaded on builds from April 08 onwards... it's to update versions prior... mine is a Nov 07 build... anyways...
Old 11-12-2008, 11:42 PM   #15
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well according to my maths after having the mod done it was approx +14% in error so instead of DTE of 800 km it's now 700 km no wonder I ran out of fuel a few times which gives me a 10l/100km which I think is more realistic in stop start traffic

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2008, 07:25 AM   #16
Lord Viykor
XR5 convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheColonel
It came pre-loaded on builds from April 08 onwards... it's to update versions prior... mine is a Nov 07 build... anyways...
Thanks, I'll try another dealer maybe Byrne Ford at Chermside.

Last edited by Lord Viykor; 12-12-2008 at 07:26 AM. Reason: edit:grammar
Old 17-12-2008, 06:39 PM   #17
Dooby
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Viykor
Thanks, I'll try another dealer maybe Byrne Ford at Chermside.
Good call on going to Byrne. They seem to try harder to make you happy...or at least content.

I hate to say that I haven't had a great experience with any of the Eagers family (Kia, Torque, Metro, etc.). I'm sure there are people that can make testimony to their greatness...I just haven't seen it.

Be sure to post if Byrne helps you out.
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post