Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 04-09-2014, 01:17 PM   #1
garry1434
Starter Motor

Default Bad AM reception 6000CD Mondeo 2014 Model

Hi
Just wondering if anybody has come across very bad AM radio reception in a Mondeo 2014 with a 6000 CD radio?
I have had this car for about 6 months and at the start the AM reception was fine but now l can't pick up anything. I have a work mate that has the same car and he doesn't have any issues with his reception. Even when we are parked side by side l can't pick up anything and his is fine.
I have spoken to the guys at the dealership and they weren't to interested in looking into the issue.
The car is still under warranty, what action should l take to get this fixed??
Any information would be great.
Garry

garry1434 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2014, 01:54 PM   #2
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Bad AM reception 6000CD Mondeo 2014 Model

If it’s under warranty tell the dealer to shove his disinterest up his whatsy and fix it.
LoudPipes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-09-2014, 01:59 PM   #3
garry1434
Starter Motor

That's fine, how would they fix the issue? Is it an auto electric's job?
Old 04-09-2014, 02:02 PM   #4
Trump
bitch lasagne

I read that as an issue with your 6000SUX

Straight to a non-idiot Ford dealer.

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-09-2014, 02:09 PM   #5
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry1434 View Post
That's fine, how would they fix the issue? Is it an auto electric's job?
There could be a number of reasons for the failure, checking the antenna connection would be a good start.

Of cause an auto electrician could fault find it but if it’s under warranty would you really want to pay for the man hours which could include removal and reinstallation?

And what if the unit is faulty, are you going to purchase one as a replacement?

If it’s under warranty it’s the dealer’s responsibly.
LoudPipes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2014, 08:53 AM   #6
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does you car have a separate antennae or is it printed on the glass? If its the glass type, have you had the car windows tinted?

Some window tints with metal film have an adverse affect on radio reception - especially the AM band. I would also check to see if you had tint done, if the printed wire was cut by the tinter when they were trimming the tint or if the connection to the antennae is loose or disconnected.

Unfortunately Ford dealers are notorious for their own self harming ways, when it comes to understanding why they should actually care about customer service. Ford customer care is unlikely to be of any genuine help either. You can go down that path, but just don't get to upset if you hit a brick wall with them.

My suggestion is to take the car to another Ford dealer if possible, otherwise if an auto elec can give you a written report of what the fault is, do that. Then contact Ford Customer Care (their job description) and tell them your local dealer issues and the car fault. If the tinter damaged the aerial, you'll have to take it up with them directly, unless the car was tinted by the dealer as part of the purchase. Any other fault, get a case number and take it from there.

Ford have some great cars, but the customer side of the business is still stuck in another century.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2014, 08:20 PM   #7
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8 View Post
Does you car have a separate antennae or is it printed on the glass? If its the glass type, have you had the car windows tinted?.
fwiw, my falcon has a window antenna and the radio is slowing getting more deaf and something will need to be done soon. (both am and fm affected). I think the problem will be the window antenna itself.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:27 PM   #8
olfella
Cranky old bastard

[QUOTE=LoudPipes;5204408]There could be a number of reasons for the failure, checking the antenna connection would be a good start.
I had a similar problem on my MkII FG from new. First thought it was the metal tint so had it replaced. A bit better reception but still not great. At the 3000k service I asked the dealer to fix it and when they took the LHS kick panel off it improved greatly. It stayed good for a while then started to be more of an intermittent problem that even effected the FM reception in country areas. At the 15000k service I had them look at it again and they decided to replace the cable from the kick panel to the ICC. Apparently this has a small pin as part of its connection and it was bent in install. Been fine ever since. Could be thesame with yours.
olfella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2014, 04:58 PM   #9
cyclone1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8 View Post

My suggestion is to take the car to another Ford dealer if possible, otherwise if an auto elec can give you a written report of what the fault is, do that. Then contact Ford Customer Care (their job description) and tell them your local dealer issues and the car fault. If the tinter damaged the aerial, you'll have to take it up with them directly, unless the car was tinted by the dealer as part of the purchase. Any other fault, get a case number and take it from there.

Ford have some great cars, but the customer side of the business is still stuck in another century.
Absolutely take it to another dealer. I have had to try a couple to find a good one. The first one couldn't fix simple things, which I ended up rectifying and they couldn't even complete a service properly. Ford Customer Service is pretty good however you also have the backing of the ACCC. If the radio doesn't work satisfactorily then it is the dealer's responsibility under consumer law to fix it while under warranty.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:27 PM   #10
garry1434
Starter Motor

Yes factory window tint. The reception used to be fine.

l hope l can get something sorted out but l won't hold my breath.

l might take some video footage of my other work mates car (which is the same as mine) showing them his AM radio reception working fine and mine not picking up anything.

QUOTE=DanielXR8]Does you car have a separate antennae or is it printed on the glass? If its the glass type, have you had the car windows tinted?

Some window tints with metal film have an adverse affect on radio reception - especially the AM band. I would also check to see if you had tint done, if the printed wire was cut by the tinter when they were trimming the tint or if the connection to the antennae is loose or disconnected.

Unfortunately Ford dealers are notorious for their own self harming ways, when it comes to understanding why they should actually care about customer service. Ford customer care is unlikely to be of any genuine help either. You can go down that path, but just don't get to upset if you hit a brick wall with them.

Ford have some great cars, but the customer side of the business is still stuck in another century.[/QUOTE]
Old 08-09-2014, 11:10 PM   #11
11ford11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

is there another dealer around you-there relying on you giving up so they dont have to repair it (time consuming and they dont get same payment for warranty work from ford)

you paid for the warranty as well when you purchased - start talking fair trading if thier not interested in repairing which can be anything from cable undone to the headunit etc. they are able to check signal strengths/fault codes etc. with ford scantool,have also seen headunits fail before ..
11ford11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2014, 03:12 PM   #12
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

If the AM is stuffed and the FM is good then I would be putting money on one of the antenna cables is stuffed. That or antenna isn't grounded properly.

Either way under warranty they need to sort the problem out.
Old 09-09-2014, 03:19 PM   #13
garry1434
Starter Motor

Thanks very much.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:15 PM   #14
Territory2014
Diesel virgin

I have a brand new MC Zetec wagon and had the window tint done by a professional tinter who suggested to use non metallic film on the antenna rear side windows, as incorrect film would cause bad AM reception. It's worked great and I have fantastic reception. I would suggest asking your dealer to investigate what film was used on your car...good luck!
Territory2014 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2014, 11:36 PM   #15
11ford11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes factory window tint. The reception used to be fine.

l hope l can get something sorted out but l won't hold my breath.

l might take some video footage of my other work mates car (which is the same as mine) showing them his AM radio reception working fine and mine not picking up anything.

QUOTE=DanielXR8]Does you car have a separate antennae or is it printed on the glass? If its the glass type, have you had the car windows tinted?

[/QUOTE]

factory tint should have no effect- or are we talking about tint added to vehicle by the dealer prior to delivery to yourself -
do you have a bee sting antenna on roof??
ever way should be covered by warranty so start making some loud noises !!!
fair trading etc.
have you had any work carried out yourself recently eg. towbar etc.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:39 PM   #16
Territory2014
Diesel virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11ford11 View Post
factory tint should have no effect- or are we talking about tint added to vehicle by the dealer prior to delivery to yourself -
fair trading etc.
have you had any work carried out yourself recently eg. towbar etc.

MC Mondeos don't have roof mounted antennas, they are located within rear side glass on wagons and possibly on rear window on the hatches.

Last edited by Territory2014; 12-09-2014 at 11:44 PM.
Territory2014 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2014, 11:47 PM   #17
garry1434
Starter Motor

Hi, yes l have had a tow bar installed at the Ford Dealership which l get my services at. My car had it's 15,000 km service today and the dealership said they checked the antenna cable and earth wire (or something like that) but still no AM reception. What next do you think l should do?

fair trading etc.
have you had any work carried out yourself recently eg. towbar etc.[/QUOTE]
Old 12-09-2014, 11:53 PM   #18
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Quote:
Hi, yes l have had a tow bar installed at the Ford Dealership which l get my services at. My car had it's 15,000 km service today and the dealership said they checked the antenna cable and earth wire (or something like that) but still no AM reception. What next do you think l should do?
Tell them to fix it!! The cause is not your problem - it is theirs to find and fix.
olfella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2014, 01:04 AM   #19
11ford11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=garry1434;5211273]Hi, yes l have had a tow bar installed at the Ford Dealership which l get my services at. My car had it's 15,000 km service today and the dealership said they checked the antenna cable and earth wire (or something like that) but still no AM reception. What next do you think l should do?

- did they decide to check this or did you say what you wanted checked ?
have they given any indication what is needed to fix the problem ??

consider if there is anything you have had done outside of dealership that may have caused your issue-
no insult intended ,are you tuning station correctly ?did you get dealership to show you how to set am station ?especially if they are unable to as well....

ask to speak to service manager if you haven't already followed by asking for the dealer principal -inform them of your complaint and the fact that no resolution to the FAULT in your vehicle has been offered and you will be looking to take further action as they have not made an effort to resolve the issue -

if this brings no joy ask for ford customer relations contact details and get a case number when you contact them - followed by fair trading if necessary -

was radio definitely working on am before ?
what area are you-
other dealers?

is vehicle 2013 or 2014 plated ????

if you paid to get fries at McDonalds and didn't get them you would insist on them so why not get what you paid for in your vehicle ??

Last edited by 11ford11; 13-09-2014 at 01:06 AM. Reason: cant spell