Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-03-2018, 08:08 PM   #1
lovford
Banned

Default Let's discuss diesel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxg View Post
2018 Ranger is going back to petrol and ditching diesel?? Wonder why?
Because there filthy dirty things that kill people.
lovford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2018, 10:39 PM   #2
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 
Default Re: 2018 Ranger Raptor

nope. American Ranger is going petrol because diesel there is for semis. rest of the world stays diesel.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-03-2018, 08:09 AM   #3
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovford View Post
Because there filthy dirty things that kill people.
And deliver all the c**p you buy.

As for petrol just because you can't see it doesn't mean it ain't pollution.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2018, 11:24 AM   #4
lovford
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
And deliver all the c**p you buy.

As for petrol just because you can't see it doesn't mean it ain't pollution.
Diesel cars to be banned in 4 magor cites by 2025. Watch it spread like wild fire from there. And deservedly so. Oil company's trumpeted diesels because it was the only way for them to get rid of there mid grade fuel. It had previously been used for heating but gas replaced it. Its big corp telling lies to flog a product. Similar to the tobacco company's.
Old 03-03-2018, 02:43 PM   #5
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Diesel cars to be banned in 4 magor cites by 2025. Watch it spread like wild fire from there. And deservedly so. Oil company's trumpeted diesels because it was the only way for them to get rid of there mid grade fuel. It had previously been used for heating but gas replaced it. Its big corp telling lies to flog a product. Similar to the tobacco company's.
I don't think its oil companies trumpeting the benefits of diesel, I believe it to be vehicle manufacturers. Either way, diesel engines have reached their limits of 'cleanliness', even with additives like AdBlu, with health issues around diesel particulates and nitrogen oxides. Strict emission regulations in Europe will see and end to most diesel powered passenger vehicles within the next 10 years. Notwithstanding, with the advancement in engine technology including direct injection petrol and high pressure turbocharging, both fuel economy and torque output from petrol engines is approaching a territory strictly reserved for diesel engines in the past. Ford's Ecoboost engines are but just one example.
Old 03-03-2018, 03:13 PM   #6
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Those pesky oil companies.

You'd think they'd refine all that excess unwanted diesel into petrol wouldn't ya.
Instead they force car manufacturers to make an engine that suits them.

Liars!

I had a bunker oil heater

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-03-2018, 03:25 PM   #7
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Yeah but this ain't Europe, we don't obey Europe otherwise we would have Nuclear Power as well and we all know how safe that is.

Rudolph Diesel invented that engine to run on coconut oil originally, with it able to run on a vast amount of different vegetable based oils.
The black oil giants jumped on somewhere to flog their by-product.

3 of my trucks run on 50 to 90% used vegetable oil mixed with diesel.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2018, 05:22 PM   #8
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
On the contrary it was the EU looking for a fast cure to high CO2 emission,
they taxed petrol and encouraged everyone into diesel cars when it suited them
but now that they realize how bad diesel is, they want everyone to change course.
Efficient petrol hybrids, electric vehicles, the alternatives will be expensive for all.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-03-2018, 11:33 PM   #9
lovford
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
On the contrary it was the EU looking for a fast cure to high CO2 emission,
they taxed petrol and encouraged everyone into diesel cars when it suited them
but now that they realize how bad diesel is, they want everyone to change course.
Efficient petrol hybrids, electric vehicles, the alternatives will be expensive for all.
Yes, and the big oil corps clapped there hands, because now they had a huge new market to sell there unrefined crappy fuel. They didn't tell the government that it spat out particles that kill people. The government believed what the oil corps told them. Lies, lies, lies.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:39 PM   #10
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Just ask VW how clean diesel vehicles really are. They should be banned.... Driving a diesel vehicle says I dont care about the environment or peoples health...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-2...cities/9491680

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A

Last edited by arronm; 08-03-2018 at 11:46 PM.
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-03-2018, 12:04 AM   #11
lovford
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
Just ask VW how clean diesel vehicles really are. They should be banned.... Driving a diesel vehicle says I dont care about the environment or peoples health...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-2...cities/9491680
Apparently it not even illegal to tamper with a partical spewing diesel's filter, there are mechanic shops in Europe that legally tamper with them to get more power. Once you tamper with a factory filter, the partical count can go up 10 fold. 100 different cars were tested straight out of the factory recently and all of them spewed more **** than was as advertised. Some, even an Audi 8 was 10 times over the limit, but nothing is done about it. Why is there not an authority, like LA has, to check and monitor there cars on a regular basis ?
Old 09-03-2018, 12:21 AM   #12
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Its all coming to a head soon.. But what about the trucking industry???

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2018, 01:38 AM   #13
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Yeah but this ain't Europe, we don't obey Europe otherwise we would have Nuclear Power as well and we all know how safe that is.

Rudolph Diesel invented that engine to run on coconut oil originally, with it able to run on a vast amount of different vegetable based oils.
The black oil giants jumped on somewhere to flog their by-product.

3 of my trucks run on 50 to 90% used vegetable oil mixed with diesel.
I'm pretty sure Rudolph designed his Diesel engine to run on peanut oil originally before the dirty hands of the Middle East and oil companies insisted that it run on fermented dinosaur carcasses.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-03-2018, 01:51 AM   #14
lovford
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
Its all coming to a head soon.. But what about the trucking industry???
Trucking industry will be exempt. ( Although they wont be allowed in cities)There will be depots out of town where goods are unloaded from diesel semis then put on smaller greener vans to then be distributed through out the more congested cities.
Old 09-03-2018, 01:56 AM   #15
nstg8a

Quote:
Trucking industry will be exempt. ( Although they wont be allowed in cities)There will be depots out of town where goods are unloaded from diesel semis then put on smaller greener vans to then be distributed through out the more congested cities.
Good luck getting a semi load of groceries to a supermarket with vans.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2018, 10:06 AM   #16
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Would the 10 ‘green’ vans required to do the work of 1 semi be any cleaner in the end?
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 09-03-2018, 10:13 AM   #17
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 
Default Re: Let's discuss diesel...

ALL of the above posts have been split out from the 2018 Ranger Raptor thread.

'cause THEY WERE NOT ON TOPIC

Old 09-03-2018, 11:01 AM   #18
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

all the diesel car owners i know (excluding trucks) have had issues relating to injectors, egr, dpf or just carbon build up.
i would not buy a used diesel ever

neighbours 2.0tdi golf - blown turbo
colleagues 2.0tdi jetta - blocked dpf, then block egr, then intake cracked
colleagues amarok - check eng light, VW would no disclose the fault but took 1 week to fix
rodeo 2.8tdi - leaky injector grenaded the engine, $25k for new engine ($12k for used)
territory - blocked egr

they are all near new cars within 3 years old

everyone else in my family have tritons and pajeros and have never had any issues but they all run provents and service on the at half intervals

they do tow very well and have great economy so i suppose until petrol has the same torque and economy diesels will still sell....won't be long though
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2018, 11:28 AM   #19
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This topic comes up every few months. Everyone panic diesel is going to be banned!!! I'll go tell my neighbour to convert his combine harvester to run on petrol hey, and the truck he uses to drag to grain to the silos, and the train used to haul the grain to the ports, and the boat used to ship the grain to china. Australia runs on diesel.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2018, 11:33 AM   #20
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPXR6T View Post
This topic comes up every few months. Everyone panic diesel is going to be banned!!! I'll go tell my neighbour to convert his combine harvester to run on petrol hey, and the truck he uses to drag to grain to the silos, and the train used to haul the grain to the ports, and the boat used to ship the grain to china. Australia runs on diesel.
i think the issue is diesel passenger cars
there is no substitute for a diesel truck or machine or ship
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2018, 11:45 AM   #21
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
Good luck getting a semi load of groceries to a supermarket with vans.
classic isn't it

when people bring this topic up they unintentionally reveal a lot more about themselves than they realise!

yes, diesel is dirty which is why there are emission regulations in place, and why cars run DPF's and urea compounds (sometimes both) to get them to meet these emission regulations.

Is it getting more difficult to do? of course it is, but it isn't going to stop the heavy vehicle industry any time soon. if the 'smart' people in their suits think that limiting diesel or trucks is best, watch the cost of living increase astronomically overnight.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2018, 12:34 PM   #22
leesa

Can anyone tell me what the health implications are for people who drive diesels?

I've been driving a diesel for 6 months now and it always smells, particularly first thing in the morning, it's quite a dirty sooty smell that I never smelt with my petrol cars.
I make sure to drive it long enough/often enough for it to kick off a DPF burn but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Every weekend I'll take up a country(ish) road or a highway for 30-60 minutes, but even after doing 500KM a few weeks ago it still smelt the next morning.

I've had a watery throat for the past couple months and am now wondering whether it's related to diesel soot? Does anyone else get that problem?
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2018, 01:03 PM   #23
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
Can anyone tell me what the health implications are for people who drive diesels?

I've been driving a diesel for 6 months now and it always smells, particularly first thing in the morning, it's quite a dirty sooty smell that I never smelt with my petrol cars.
I make sure to drive it long enough/often enough for it to kick off a DPF burn but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Every weekend I'll take up a country(ish) road or a highway for 30-60 minutes, but even after doing 500KM a few weeks ago it still smelt the next morning.

I've had a watery throat for the past couple months and am now wondering whether it's related to diesel soot? Does anyone else get that problem?
Seeing as I've been driving Trucks Interstate for >43 years I don't think that you've got anything to worry about
Old 09-03-2018, 01:14 PM   #24
leesa

edit: nevermind

Last edited by leesa; 09-03-2018 at 01:20 PM.
Old 09-03-2018, 01:30 PM   #25
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Seeing as I've been driving Trucks Interstate for >43 years I don't think that you've got anything to worry about
And pretty much most of it prior to Euro 6 emission regs...

although I might not go as far as saying there is nothing wrong with you
5 users like this post:
Old 09-03-2018, 01:47 PM   #26
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Yes, and the big oil corps clapped there hands, because now they had a huge new market to sell there unrefined crappy fuel. They didn't tell the government that it spat out particles that kill people. The government believed what the oil corps told them. Lies, lies, lies.

i hope you don't drink any low sugar drinks (or anything with artificial sweetener in it), or cook with non stick coated cookware, or talk to long with your mobile phone pressed to your ear....

oh, by the way, your tin foil hat is crooked.
Old 09-03-2018, 02:21 PM   #27
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
i hope you don't drink any low sugar drinks (or anything with artificial sweetener in it), or cook with non stick coated cookware, or talk to long with your mobile phone pressed to your ear....

oh, by the way, your tin foil hat is crooked.
But there ARE concerns about diesels, even from medical professionals. Why are you downplaying it and suggesting he's paranoid and wearing a tin hat?
Old 09-03-2018, 02:34 PM   #28
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
.. Either way, diesel engines have reached their limits of 'cleanliness', even with additives like AdBlu, with health issues around diesel particulates and nitrogen oxides. Strict emission regulations in Europe will see and end to most diesel powered passenger vehicles within the next 10 years. Notwithstanding, with the advancement in engine technology including direct injection petrol and high pressure turbocharging, both fuel economy and torque output from petrol engines is approaching a territory strictly reserved for diesel engines in the past. Ford's Ecoboost engines are but just one example.
I do agree that engine like Fords ecoboost now have some of the benefits that we have been used to in passenger vehicles.
But I actually think tech in diesels has still got a long way to go - they are going to have to.. Trucks buses, farming equipment etc really have no alternative for now.

We are about to see a new Sequential, turbo engine in the Ranger Raptor. whilst it features in whats dubbed a performance vehicle I think economy and emissions are where it will shine.

there is also LPG injection to diesel, the off shot of improving performance is it tends to get rid of un burnt fuel, and because the engine doesn't need to work as Hard you could argue its not burning as much fuel.

however much like Petrol engines converted to running on LPG there has never been a purpose built diesel -LPG engine, I believe if there were we would see a real game changer.

Australia could lead the way..
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2018, 02:50 PM   #29
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
But there ARE concerns about diesels, even from medical professionals. Why are you downplaying it and suggesting he's paranoid and wearing a tin hat?
Are the tailpipe emissions any more carcinogenic than aspartime or non stick coatings, or a myriad of other things we surround ourselves with every day?

Passive smoking will kill you long before diesel will and yet smoking isn't illegal!
Old 09-03-2018, 03:08 PM   #30
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Are the tailpipe emissions any more carcinogenic than aspartime
Much more so, given aspartame isnt carcinogenic in relevant doses.
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post