Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-03-2018, 09:17 PM   #61
ebzery

Default Re: Video: Are These Six Of The Greatest Inline Six Cylinder Engines?

one of my favorite engines was the 179 hp block holden engine althought underpowered compared to the 265 hemi .
with 3 su carbs and that forged steel crank it was a sweet engine.
in race tune performed well in a small car.
in my eh holden with 3 on the tree i crossed many any intersection looking up into the sky.
(lots of that was due to the solid accelerator and the touqued engine locking it onto full throttle}.
ebzery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-03-2018, 11:52 PM   #62
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarite_guy View Post
That's some nice looking iron. That time seems very respectable.

What would you say the hp output was?
The engines I built myself I guess were good for 200-220hp with standard bolt ons.
I always over cammed them because I was young, this often ended in tears.

The cylinder head on red motors was the main limiting factor. I paid a local red motor guru to port a head for me, which ended up being a complete engine. He included all the tricks he knew, secret squirrel cam specs and everything. He claimed it was good for close to 300hp. It cost a small fortune; I never had it on a dyno but was easily the most powerful red six I had ever owned.

I never got to run it over the quater with the good motor; I sold the car to fund an overseas trip. I suspect it would have been quicker than the mid 14's I had run. I will never know but the older I get the faster I was...
Old 07-03-2018, 12:07 AM   #63
lovford
Banned

Car and straight six match, would have to be 202 LG LJ Torana with triple webbers. Kw/tone ratio must of been way up there, because those things flew. Save me starting a thread, could someone please tell me the size of the Miami supercharger. (litre capacity)

Last edited by Raptor; 07-03-2018 at 09:40 AM. Reason: You mean LJ - yes that's what I had, they went good :)
lovford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2018, 12:10 AM   #64
lovford
Banned

Or, ef,el,au,ba,bf,fg.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:52 AM   #65
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovford View Post
Car and straight six match, would have to be 202 LG Torana with triple webbers. Kw/tone ratio must of been way up there, because those things flew. Save me starting a thread, could someone please tell me the size of the Miami supercharger. (litre capacity)
Yep, a couple of us on here played around with the Massey Ferguson Red motors & triples They sounded tough for a six, especially with a nice cam, & I had many 'oh s--t' moments with the triple webered EH I owned as a young fella. I believe the S/C on the Miami is an Eaton 1.9L and that Harrop was extensively involved in its development. Contact Harrop Performance on 03-9474-0900 or check their website, there's a lot to like on it.

Last edited by au350hp; 07-03-2018 at 02:02 AM.
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-03-2018, 01:56 AM   #66
lovford
Banned

Thumbs up Re: Video: Are These Six Of The Greatest Inline Six Cylinder Engines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostercam View Post
Yep, a couple of us on here played around with the Massey Ferguson Red motors & triples They sounded tough for a six, especially with a nice cam.
I believe the S/C on the Miami is an Eaton 1.9L.
Thanks, I read 4 reviews, but there was no mention of the size of the supercharger.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:48 AM   #67
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti View Post
I gotta say I like the old chev blue flame 6's
Ahhh, the powerglide motor. When young we always had the stick shift motors. As I am sure you are aware, there were a lot of variations. To list we had a '49 Chevy 5 window pickup, a '52 4 door deluxe(?), a '53 4 door deluxe(?) and a '57 210.

Prior to getting married my mother had a '50 fastback Chevy.

All of them were 3 on the tree. At a young age I learned my mother was a street racer with her fastback Chevy.

Wish I had that fastback and 5 window pickup these day.

Amazing I became a Ford man.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 07-03-2018, 05:53 AM   #68
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBFWagon View Post
...Missed the all the legendary AU's and went straight for my BF3 Barra powered Wagon lowered on Pedders suspension and 19inch CSA wheels...
Sounds like a great combination. Miss the station wagons though.
This user likes this post:
Old 07-03-2018, 05:56 AM   #69
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebzery View Post
one of my favorite engines was the 179 hp block holden engine althought underpowered compared to the 265 hemi .
in my eh holden with 3 on the tree i crossed many any intersection looking up into the sky.
(lots of that was due to the solid accelerator and the touqued engine locking it onto full throttle}.
The more I read this and think back on my own experiences, it becomes obvious some very good combinations have come our way. When we are younger we don't always take notice of these things.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:59 AM   #70
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse View Post
The engines I built myself I guess were good for 200-220hp with standard bolt ons.
I always over cammed them because I was young, this often ended in tears.

The cylinder head on red motors was the main limiting factor. I paid a local red motor guru to port a head for me, which ended up being a complete engine. He included all the tricks he knew, secret squirrel cam specs and everything. He claimed it was good for close to 300hp. It cost a small fortune; I never had it on a dyno but was easily the most powerful red six I had ever owned.

I never got to run it over the quater with the good motor; I sold the car to fund an overseas trip. I suspect it would have been quicker than the mid 14's I had run. I will never know but the older I get the faster I was...
Honestly, 200 - 220 hp back then from what we knew and what was available are stout figures. Pushing 300 is up there for these days, and consider the architecture.
2 users like this post:
Old 07-03-2018, 06:04 AM   #71
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostercam View Post
Yep, a couple of us on here played around with the Massey Ferguson Red motors & triples They sounded tough for a six, especially with a nice cam, & I had many 'oh s--t' moments with the triple webered EH I owned as a young fella..
Here, many missed out on what could be done with a 6 from a performance perspective. Fortunately, Clifford Engineering existed for the 6 cylinder folks. Up until not long ago they were a solid organization. These days I have heard some questionable feedback.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:28 AM   #72
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

I remember seeing a blown Holden 202 ci (235ci?) D comp rail iirc at the Eastern Creek drags a long time ago running 8's on methanol, it went & sounded insane for a Holden red i6 lol!

My straight sixes i loved in the past were my old Vh 265 4 speed Charger & Vg 245 hemi Pacer, hence the love for my sohc vct Xr6. All capable of scaring a stock older v8 on the right (bendy) road lol.

One day a turbo barra may find its way into my Au, who knows!!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 07-03-2018, 12:38 PM   #73
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
I remember seeing a blown Holden 202 ci (235ci?) D comp rail iirc at the Eastern Creek drags a long time ago running 8's on methanol, it went & sounded insane for a Holden red i6 lol!

My straight sixes i loved in the past were my old Vh 265 4 speed Charger & Vg 245 hemi Pacer, hence the love for my sohc vct Xr6. All capable of scaring a stock older v8 on the right (bendy) road lol.

One day a turbo barra may find its way into my Au, who knows!!

cheers, Maka
Was the rail rear engined or a slingshot?

Here for a while some Ford 6 cylinder racers would weld 1 and 1/2 Cleveland 4V heads together and mount on a 300 block. I don't remember any performance numbers, but I do remember a lot of other competitors didn't cherish the thought of running against them.
3 users like this post:
Old 07-03-2018, 12:57 PM   #74
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarite_guy View Post
Was the rail rear engined or a slingshot?

Here for a while some Ford 6 cylinder racers would weld 1 and 1/2 Cleveland 4V heads together and mount on a 300 block. I don't remember any performance numbers, but I do remember a lot of other competitors didn't cherish the thought of running against them.
Older slingshot SG, very bespoke, well engineered & setup, dont know any hp numbers but i know it didnt weigh much & it was fast for what it was, it had a pretty flexy spindley chassis lol. Cant remember what tranny it was running unfortunately though dohh.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Old 07-03-2018, 01:34 PM   #75
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Fastest red six in the world!

Not sure why I am posting this on FFs

http://www.jzedholden6.com.au/jzed_dragster.html
Old 07-03-2018, 05:14 PM   #76
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebzery View Post
Ha ha. A mate used to 'jump' his car over the table top style railway crossing. Both rear struts burst a hole through the floor in the rear. That was the motor I worked in the EH. a 179HP out to 192. triple carbs, electronic ignition of a blue motor (by memory) and a 5 speed Supra Turbo gear box. Good times.
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-03-2018, 08:10 AM   #77
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Hi guys, beautiful VH Charger with a Turbo Barra -

https://www.streetmachine.com.au/fea...-on-the-murray

Definitely wish i still had my old VH Charger after reading this story lol!

cheers, Maka

Old 22-03-2018, 09:22 AM   #78
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2018, 07:24 PM   #79
Aulpgute

One of the most impressive 6cyl setup's I've ever been in was back in the mid/late 80's in the St George district of Sydney where a guy transplanted an E49 spec 265 into his LJ XU1 copy Torana. It was beautifully engineered and fitted well. It was frightening with the Webber's or the Holley 4 barrel setup. I wish I had the opportunity to ride in it later on when it had a Garrett turbo setup installed
Aulpgute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2018, 07:42 PM   #80
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aulpgute View Post
One of the most impressive 6cyl setup's I've ever been in was back in the mid/late 80's in the St George district of Sydney where a guy transplanted an E49 spec 265 into his LJ XU1 copy Torana. It was beautifully engineered and fitted well. It was frightening with the Webber's or the Holley 4 barrel setup. I wish I had the opportunity to ride in it later on when it had a Garrett turbo setup installed
That Hemi 6 LJ must've been a rocket & handled well too, very impressive by the sounds of it!

The old hemi 6 Centura's didnt hang about either lol, sadly they didnt have the profile or build quality like the Cortina's did but worked ones went like stink too.

cheers, Maka