Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-03-2018, 04:56 AM   #31
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 
Default Re: Video: Are These Six Of The Greatest Inline Six Cylinder Engines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozpacman View Post
The 240 and 300 always seemed to be routinely referred to as the 'Canadian motor' in Australia. Don't know if that's correct or not but that seemed to be that label they got.

That's a good question. I had to do some research on that, as the ones we get here are built at the Cleveland plant. That doesn't discount the possibility that maybe a foundry in Canada was used for some of the key casting components.

For example when Nascar allowed the use of alloy heads back in the early 80s, a favorite head of the Chevy teams was called a Winter Head because of the Canadian foundry it came from and a snow flake that was cast into it within the valve train area.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-03-2018, 05:39 AM   #32
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
Solarite guy I think you are right regarding the gullwing - I had thought that engine was derived from new post WW2 developments for their luxury 300. I guess it’s the authors way of adding some drama to or trying to justify their list. Either way their downplay of the gullwing engine is probably not justified - in typical MB style they re wrote the rule book for the mid ‘50s and had a 150mph production car closer to reaching 100hp//litre instead of 1hp/cui which is something the yanks couldn’t achieve at the time (1957 283/283hp?).

I have two MB inline sixes which were far ahead of their time, not worthy of that list as it is performance focused - M110 from 1972 in w116 280se, injected twin cam 135kw with 6500rpmredline, and M104 24v 170kw from 1991 which will spin out to nearly 7000rpm.
Right, I agree, the Gullwing engine was derived from one of their own high end passenger car engines and yes, these days drama can be more important than the facts.

The Gullwing was one of those cars that sparked my interest when i was young. I was more used to that 283/283 with doghouse fuel injection as my uncle had one of those very cars. The year 1957 is correct. To this day, one of the prettiest Corvettes. Then I found out about this space age looking sports car with an engine 100 cid smaller with a faster top end by quite a bit.

I am sure those engines you have are very happy to rev. The German engines tend to rev effortlessly. Never a sense that things are ready to let go.

Cheers.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:44 AM   #33
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanny View Post
Solarite_dude, have you any experience with the 2.3l 4cyl Lima engine?
A long time ago I changed cams on a couple engines and installed an Esslinger adjustable cam sprocket. This is going back to around ~1980. New a couple people with the turbo charged SVO Mustangs and a T'bird. But I didn't do anything with them.

What question do you have?

Cheers.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:47 AM   #34
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostercam View Post
BMWs M88 inline Six was a fantastic motor and I also like the 245 Hemi from the 1970's. Both of these motors can produce serious power and who doesn't love the sound of triple carbed straight six at full song?
IMO 6 cylinders are touchy when is comes to exhaust note. Done wrong, they make a sorrowful sound. Done right, it is music to your ears.
5 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2018, 08:20 AM   #35
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarite_guy View Post
A long time ago I changed cams on a couple engines and installed an Esslinger adjustable cam sprocket. This is going back to around ~1980. New a couple people with the turbo charged SVO Mustangs and a T'bird. But I didn't do anything with them.

What question do you have?

Cheers.

I have an XR4ti, and have read about converting to a roller cam set up, with parts sourced from a Ranger. I should hit up the Merkur forums, as I have no idea on which Ranger had a similar engine to source the bits from.

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2018, 08:47 AM   #36
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Is it a single spark plug or twin spark plug set up?
Old 05-03-2018, 08:55 AM   #37
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanny View Post
I have an XR4ti, and have read about converting to a roller cam set up, with parts sourced from a Ranger. I should hit up the Merkur forums, as I have no idea on which Ranger had a similar engine to source the bits from.
This link may help with some basics. A fella named shadetree gave some good fundamentals. I am just not sure if the years will correlate directly for you.

http://www.therangerstation.com/foru...ad.php?t=36256
2 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2018, 09:30 AM   #38
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

BMW M3 E36 engine on test,
enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALxWm7ArpCw
5 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2018, 09:36 AM   #39
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Quote:
This link may help with some basics. A fella named shadetree gave some good fundamentals. I am just not sure if the years will correlate directly for you.

http://www.therangerstation.com/foru...ad.php?t=36256
Thanks for that! Now back to 6 cylinder donks.

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2018, 11:29 AM   #40
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M View Post
BMW M3 E36 engine on test,
enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALxWm7ArpCw
That is a wonderful vid.

BTW those are great dynos. Traco engineering used to use them. Probably most no longer Traco engineering. They were the folks who used to build engines for the old Penske, Donahue cars sponsored by Sunoco.

Cheers
Old 05-03-2018, 05:35 PM   #41
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

A couple of other noteworthy I-6s would be the Jaguar DOHC I-6, a brilliant smooth
engine of the time with ample power for most situations....

The other is the Toyota Crown I-6 that was a dead set knock off of the MB I-6 of the time,
pretty bad when the rocker cover gasket fits both motors....
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2018, 06:27 PM   #42
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Speaking of GM, when I was younger my father had a '62 GMC pickup with the 262 "truck" motor. There was also a 292(?) version of it. Like the Ford 300 they were good torque motors.
My old man bought a Chev C60 pantec truck new back in 76' with a 292 Chev 6, looked like a big version of the Holden 202 straight six I had.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2018, 07:49 PM   #43
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
IMO 6 cylinders are touchy when is comes to exhaust note. Done wrong, they make a sorrowful sound. Done right, it is music to your ears.
Your spot on about that. A few people tried twin systems on hot sixes but imo, they sounded very ordinary. There was some lovely carb inlet manifolds & long runner systems for the Hemi sixes which always sounded more brutal than the Holden red six imo. It's no Ford, but I had an EH Premier sedan,5 speed, disc brakes, LSD, 192 red motor with triple webers, Cain inlet manifold for triples, the extractors were 2 sets of 3 which allowed a dual system into a muffler then into a 2.25'' single. It was a great sounding car, the induction noise & the exhaust noise on overrun was addictive. Petrol was 38c per litre for Super back then and I was spending way over $100 a week.
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2018, 10:28 PM   #44
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Holden Red motors where not a performance engine, ask me how I know

I blew up eight or more trying to keep up with Hemi's and Ford 6's, misspent youth!

I got my EH running 14's over the quarter in the 1980's, I was King of the kids while it held together.

7000Rpm straight out the extractors sounded awesome!
Old 05-03-2018, 11:27 PM   #45
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great looking engine/car. 14's are impressive even today. Mine was the same colour with a white roof. There was also a fella with a worked 161 in small speedboat we used to see at Eildon, which made a sweet sound & went well.
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 06-03-2018, 12:26 AM   #46
LoBelly

I had a VH Charger with a nice 265 that was such a willing motor

Often overlooked in these sorts of lists is the 50's & 60's Maserati sixes

The 2.5lt in the f250 grew to a 4.0lt dohc for its final iteration in 1967, all ally, big sump, twin ignition, fuel injected through 6 'stacks on the side...

also..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkO8y3AxRps&t=77s

LoBelly
LoBelly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 06-03-2018, 09:42 AM   #47
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Hi guys, a engine that deserves a honorable mention imo is the Lampredi i6 from the 1955 Ferrari 735 LM.

http://auto.ferrari.com/en_EN/sports...models/735-lm/

Its 4.4 litre i6 2v dohc engine with triple 50mm Webers made up to 261kw with twin spark plugs per cylinder etc, enough for the 735 LM to reach speeds up to 175 mph on the Mullsane straight.

Damn impressive for a racing 6 cylinder from the 50's hey lol!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-03-2018, 10:06 AM   #48
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Thread needs more pics, and who doesn't love glowing exhausts
Here's two of my favourites;

Chrysler Charger E49 Hemi 6 (print ad from back in the day)

Nizpro (1000HP) Barra turbo

Old 06-03-2018, 10:45 AM   #49
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

E-Type Jag 4.2s......

Afternoon officer, try doing this here and have the cops just drive on by lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GFxtIhNrdU

Sound!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMdfqayIA8U

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 06-03-2018, 12:36 PM   #50
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
A couple of other noteworthy I-6s would be the Jaguar DOHC I-6, a brilliant smooth
engine of the time with ample power for most situations....

The other is the Toyota Crown I-6 that was a dead set knock off of the MB I-6 of the time,
pretty bad when the rocker cover gasket fits both motors....
That has been a long time favourite of mine. We were talking about that a few posts up. You could flip the front end open and actually see the entire engine. No plastic covers. Only a work of automotive art.
Old 06-03-2018, 12:40 PM   #51
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
My old man bought a Chev C60 pantec truck new back in 76' with a 292 Chev 6, looked like a big version of the Holden 202 straight six I had.
How did it do in that C60? I new a fella back in the 70s with a C60 powered by a 366 BBC. The dimension of that crank was used in the 430cid BBC Mclaren CanAm engines of the late 60s.
Old 06-03-2018, 12:52 PM   #52
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostercam View Post
Your spot on about that. A few people tried twin systems on hot sixes but imo, they sounded very ordinary. There was some lovely carb inlet manifolds & long runner systems for the Hemi sixes which always sounded more brutal than the Holden red six imo. It's no Ford, but I had an EH Premier sedan,5 speed, disc brakes, LSD, 192 red motor with triple webers, Cain inlet manifold for triples, the extractors were 2 sets of 3 which allowed a dual system into a muffler then into a 2.25'' single. It was a great sounding car, the induction noise & the exhaust noise on overrun was addictive. Petrol was 38c per litre for Super back then and I was spending way over $100 a week.
Hot rodding the older straight 6s in Australia is a lot more mainstream than here. When I was young (and single) I bought used Austin Healey 3000 MK II. 100% pure "babe" magnet. Twin SU carbs, a "split" exhaust of 6 into 2. The 2 pipes ran parallel to a single muffler and existed again parallel. No idea what the muffler looked like inside. Not a harsh sound but sounded really nice, especially with the top down.

Pulled the head once to to give it a valve job. A few months later I pulled the head of a Datsun 240Z (not ZX). It also had a nice sounding straight 6. When I saw the chambers, they looked like clones of my Healeys.

Two not very sophisticated but good running engines from what I could tell.
Old 06-03-2018, 12:55 PM   #53
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse View Post
Holden Red motors where not a performance engine, ask me how I know

I blew up eight or more trying to keep up with Hemi's and Ford 6's, misspent youth!

I got my EH running 14's over the quarter in the 1980's, I was King of the kids while it held together.

7000Rpm straight out the extractors sounded awesome!
That's some nice looking iron. That time seems very respectable.

What would you say the hp output was?
Old 06-03-2018, 01:01 PM   #54
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoBelly View Post
I had a VH Charger with a nice 265 that was such a willing motor

Often overlooked in these sorts of lists is the 50's & 60's Maserati sixes

The 2.5lt in the f250 grew to a 4.0lt dohc for its final iteration in 1967, all ally, big sump, twin ignition, fuel injected through 6 'stacks on the side...

also..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkO8y3AxRps&t=77s

LoBelly
Another work of art. Same could be said of the Lucas FI as well. I priced a Lucas system out not too long ago. Pricey.

Beautiful.
Old 06-03-2018, 01:10 PM   #55
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Hi guys, a engine that deserves a honorable mention imo is the Lampredi i6 from the 1955 Ferrari 735 LM.

http://auto.ferrari.com/en_EN/sports...models/735-lm/

Its 4.4 litre i6 2v dohc engine with triple 50mm Webers made up to 261kw with twin spark plugs per cylinder etc, enough for the 735 LM to reach speeds up to 175 mph on the Mullsane straight.

Damn impressive for a racing 6 cylinder from the 50's hey lol!

cheers, Maka
That would have been the era when my Uncle took a few runs down the Mulsanne. Those are big cylinders on a Ferrari, especially when you consider 275 was typical Ferrari cylinder displacement 10 years later.

Ferrari often delivers the more sexy exhaust notes.
Old 06-03-2018, 01:15 PM   #56
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
Thread needs more pics, and who doesn't love glowing exhausts
Here's two of my favourites;

Chrysler Charger E49 Hemi 6 (print ad from back in the day)

Nizpro (1000HP) Barra turbo

Thank you.

I would say the 2 favourite engines in the thread.
Old 06-03-2018, 01:16 PM   #57
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
E-Type Jag 4.2s......

Afternoon officer, try doing this here and have the cops just drive on by lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GFxtIhNrdU

Sound!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMdfqayIA8U
You have to look far and wide to find a prettier engine.

Forgot to mention, some of the earlier models allowed into the US had advertised top speeds of 160mph. Not too shabby.

Last edited by solarite_guy; 06-03-2018 at 01:28 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 06-03-2018, 07:32 PM   #58
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Only V8 i've ever owned was Holden VL Wagon with Blue 308 on LPG and it was pretty gutless and disappointing.

First car was HJ Kingswood 202 but i was spending half my apprenticeship wages on petrol. (Wrote it off on way home from work on a wet afternoon around a very slippery corner).

Then i bought an XF Spack 4 speed manual on LPG and never looked back.

LPG back then was 18cents per litre........Drove to QLD to visit relatives and back for about $200 back then.

From then onwards i've driven and owned quite a few 4.0 straight 6 EF Fairmonts and even an EF XR6 wagon which i loooooved but it was falling apart.

Missed the all the legendary AU's and went straight for my BF3 Barra powered Wagon lowered on Pedders suspension and 19inch CSA wheels.

Love the DOHC Barra engine and 4.0 litres is not too small and not too big like a V8.

I can tow a trailer easily if i need to..........Load up the back of the Wagon with rubbish (have done a few times) or toolboxes or mountainbike for weekend family rides.

Very handy, reliable, comfortable car and pretty easy to service and maintain myself especially with the help of these forums.

Thanks fella's!!!
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-03-2018, 08:18 PM   #59
lovford
Banned

The VL had some stupid pollution thing on it that robbed it of power.
lovford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2018, 08:48 PM   #60
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I gotta say I like the old chev blue flame 6's

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post