Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-02-2018, 09:32 PM   #31
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Default Re: security camera systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump View Post
Unless it's a top shelf enterprise SSD, the TBW (total bytes written) limit will be reached in no time at all with consumer SSD's. At that point, the drive becomes read only.
I've been writing to Samsung Evo SSDs on an almost constant basis for two years now.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2018, 09:33 PM   #32
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had a cheap wireless IPZ and the network card shat itself after a month. Good enough for a proof of concept. I ended up getting a zmodo 4ch setup. The cameras power off the network cable and it comes with a bunch of different length network cables. 30m, 25m, and a couple of 10m I think. I'm happy with it. 1080p, zmodo mobile app, can slot a HDD into it but havent bothered. I have one near the front door and an a sprinkler I can trigger from my iPhone or anything with an internet connection. Next solar power salesman that knocks on my door gets the hose, even if I'm in Afgahnistan.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-02-2018, 09:49 PM   #33
My32Doors

I bought the Arlo Pro system. Tad expensive but you get what you pay for. Was able to watch the house and talk to the young bloke (housesitter), allbeit on a slight delay, during our recent holiday from everywhere.
My32Doors is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2018, 10:23 PM   #34
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
Cheers.
Yeah I'm sure there's better suited gear for the home, we would never use the internet or wireless.
Internet access pairs pretty nicely with home cameras.
What happens if your house burns down and destroys the footage? You'll never know what happened. What happens if a thief steals your stuff and your DVR/NVR? You'll never know what happened there either.

Having your cameras upload their footage to a secure spot on the 'net (or at least being able to log in remotely and view them at home) is a pretty good idea IMPO.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2018, 08:06 AM   #35
LTDHO
The one and only

I have a Swann 8 camera covering my entire property.
It is connected to the TV in the lounge, so at any time I can check what is going on outside.

Also, it is connected to my and my GF's phone so we can check on the property when we are not home.

My advice, install LED sensor lights near the camera (pointing light towards the view not the camera) this will give you better night time view.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2018, 10:04 AM   #36
Trump
bitch lasagne

The top shelf Swann IP cameras and associated hardware are a decent bit of kit for the home application. In a commercial environment, I've been installing Samsung/Hanwha gear (far more expensive though).

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2018, 03:59 PM   #37
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Anyone who read my thread a while back about a neighbour from hell would know that I had cause to consider a security system.

My wife was really keen on the idea, but I didn't really think it would be effective. Why? Because I was of the belief that my neighbour knowing there was a security camera installed would not be deterred in any way from entering my property and undertaking criminal activity. Secondly, even if they did, was the footage captured of good enough quality to provide it the police so that something could be done about it?

I've heard numerous stories where footage was captured on a security camera but either the footage was not good enough to positively identify the culprit or the crime itself was not considered significant enough for the police to assign resources to it.

So, my questions for the people who posted in this thread are:
  • What do you hope to gain out of having a security system installed? Is it a deterrent to stop the crime from occurring or is it to be able to identify the culprit after the event has already occurred?
  • For those who do have a system installed, has it stopped a crime from occurring (ie, you had experienced break-ins prior to the system being installed but they have ceased after the installation)
  • For those who do have a system installed and have experienced a break-in after the installation, did you have any success with both identifying the culprit and successfully having them charged for the offence?

My point is, if the system is simply as a deterrent, then the standard (and therefore $) of the system installed really doesn't matter. If you are happy to have your home broken into and then have the culprit caught after the fact (with the break-in potentially causing significant distress irrespective of the outcome) then the better the system (ie more $) the better chance you have of that occurring.

Personally, I think a set of stickers and some dummy cameras are probably going to be the cheapest form of deterrent a security system can offer. And I see no point in paying big $$$ only to have my house broken into simply to make the life of police easier in catching the person that has already invaded my personal space.

And I really don't get the point, form a pure security perspective, of being able to see what's going in my house. Sure, I'll be able to see whats going on (increasing my anxiety levels significantly, I'd imagine) but apart form calling the police, there'd be very little else I could do. And the effectiveness of that would still be reliant on the police responding in an appropriate timeframe. If that is the case, a report to base system would probably be more effective as it would shorten the overall response time.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2018, 04:28 PM   #38
stig_3754

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobimbo View Post
Anyone who read my thread a while back about a neighbour from hell would know that I had cause to consider a security system.

My wife was really keen on the idea, but I didn't really think it would be effective. Why? Because I was of the belief that my neighbour knowing there was a security camera installed would not be deterred in any way from entering my property and undertaking criminal activity. Secondly, even if they did, was the footage captured of good enough quality to provide it the police so that something could be done about it?

I've heard numerous stories where footage was captured on a security camera but either the footage was not good enough to positively identify the culprit or the crime itself was not considered significant enough for the police to assign resources to it.

• What do you hope to gain out of having a security system installed? Is it a deterrent to stop the crime from occurring or is it to be able to identify the culprit after the event has already occurred?
  • For those who do have a system installed, has it stopped a crime from occurring (ie, you had experienced break-ins prior to the system being installed but they have ceased after the installation)
  • For those who do have a system installed and have experienced a break-in after the installation, did you have any success with both identifying the culprit and successfully having them charged for the offence?

My point is, if the system is simply as a deterrent, then the standard (and therefore $) of the system installed really doesn't matter. If you are happy to have your home broken into and then have the culprit caught after the fact (with the break-in potentially causing significant distress irrespective of the outcome) then the better the system (ie more $) the better chance you have of that occurring.

Personally, I think a set of stickers and some dummy cameras are probably going to be the cheapest form of deterrent a security system can offer. And I see no point in paying big $$$ only to have my house broken into simply to make the life of police easier in catching the person that has already invaded my personal space.

And I really don't get the point, form a pure security perspective, of being able to see what's going in my house. Sure, I'll be able to see whats going on (increasing my anxiety levels significantly, I'd imagine) but apart form calling the police, there'd be very little else I could do. And the effectiveness of that would still be reliant on the police responding in an appropriate timeframe. If that is the case, a report to base system would probably be more effective as it would shorten the overall response time.
We were broken into about 3 years ago, but only just installed cameras. My main purpose is to use these as a deterrent, but there's features in place to hopefully become useful in the event of a break in. The system has HD footage and is networked so I can be alerted ASAP with evidence.

When friends of ours were robbed hardcore last year, we went to see them while the cops were there doing their evaluations the next day, and we asked the copper about cameras vs. alarms and the copper said that they'll respond to callouts from people with camera footage much quicker than they would from callouts from neighbours alarms going off. Pretty obvious that the majority of callouts from alarms are false.

The bottom line is, cameras may or may not deter the event from occurring but I sure believe that it's beneficial in this day and age.

Past Rides:
1997 EL Ford Fairmont 4A - Navy Blue
2006 BK Mazda 3 SP23 5A - Carbon Grey
2010 LV Ford Focus XR5 Turbo 6M - Frozen White
2013 LW Ford Focus ST 6M - Panther Black
stig_3754 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2018, 04:39 PM   #39
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lol, thank God I live in the country.

I don't lock anything, doors are rarely closed.
No idea where the keys are.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2018, 04:43 PM   #40
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobimbo View Post
  • What do you hope to gain out of having a security system installed?
Fair points, all of them.
I put my cameras up not for security but to overlook the horses' paddocks for a few different reasons : so that I could check in while I'm at work and see if they're in distress or had an accident / so that I had recorded footage that I could review or show the vet in the event they did have an accident (knowing how the injury happened can help with rehab) / and so that I would know if anyone interfered with the horses while I wasn't home.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2018, 08:59 PM   #41
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
Fair points, all of them.
I put my cameras up not for security but to overlook the horses' paddocks for a few different reasons : so that I could check in while I'm at work and see if they're in distress or had an accident / so that I had recorded footage that I could review or show the vet in the event they did have an accident (knowing how the injury happened can help with rehab) / and so that I would know if anyone interfered with the horses while I wasn't home.
Fair enough. But in that case security of the house doesn't sound like it was a priority.

I've thought about a camera at our place simply to see what mischief the dog gets up to during the day whilst we aren't home

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2018, 10:59 PM   #42
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump View Post
The top shelf Swann IP cameras and associated hardware are a decent bit of kit for the home application. In a commercial environment, I've been installing Samsung/Hanwha gear (far more expensive though).
Im not a security installer but i have installed a few camera systems before and the modern poe (ip, same thing) systems are probably the most reliable. You can go up market for cameras that only record when they sense motion and even cameras that you can move either with your own input or which move automatically in the direction that they sense movement. The main advantage of something that only records when it sees movement is that it will reduce the amount of memory the dvr uses. None of the combined rg59/figure 8 cabling either, just a cat 6 to each camera.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2018, 09:03 AM   #43
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:

A town from me a couple moved too from the country.

Their car was stolen two months later as they had left it unlocked!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2018, 12:02 PM   #44
Godzilla73

I’ve got a Ubiquiti setup at home, not cheap but easy to setup the hardware the software is a little more challenging but I had zero experience. YouTube videos helped with that side of things. As a bonus it also does the WiFi which is awesome, way better than the crappy Telstra gateway.

You can get all the components of Ebay and the like for a decent setup.
Godzilla73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2018, 12:49 AM   #45
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I know how you feel, have not locked my house or shed for years.

Windows and doors are always open, keys stay in the car where they belong (saves me looking for them), I don't even carry house keys, would not even know where they are

Never had an issue.

I don't miss living in the city, hiding behind locked gates with dead locked doors, alarm systems and security cameras worried about my stuff getting taken.

In the past lived in Sydney in a double story house, used to dead lock everything and have downstairs as well as my garage and shed, alarmed while we slept upstairs, cars were kept in a locked alarmed garage, inside the garage the cars were locked and alarmed with kill switches and my Harley had kill switches was alarmed and chained to the ground

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2018, 02:09 PM   #46
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
Windows and doors are always open, keys stay in the car where they belong (saves me looking for them), I don't even carry house keys, would not even know where they are
Where do you live? I wouldn't mind adding a few nice XBs to the fleet.

2 users like this post:
Old 06-03-2018, 02:28 PM   #47
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard-Dog View Post

His dogs are bigger than yours!!!
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2018, 04:52 PM   #48
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

4 users like this post:
Old 07-03-2018, 02:23 AM   #49
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard-Dog View Post

Good luck, the neighbours will have you bailed up before you get through the gate.

A good community and neighbours are your best defence against theft.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post