Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-02-2018, 02:13 PM   #1
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default 2018 Holden Commodore Engineered To The Edge Of The World And Beyond

Holden’s all-new German-built Commodore developed with over 200,000km local Australian testing – enough to circle the world five times!

Commodore comes with unique Australian suspension, steering and Electric Stability Controls tune

40 years of Commodore DNA and learnings inspire evolution of an icon

2.0-litre turbo petrol quickest base model Commodore ever; 191kW power and 350Nm torque

Put yourself in Rob Trubiani’s shoes for a minute. Trubiani, Holden’s Lead Dynamics Engineer, has been responsible for the way Commodores drive for the past 22 years. In fact, while most people were focusing on Cathy Freeman beating the world, Trubiani was focusing on perfecting the VY Commodore.
Now, Trubiani and Holden’s talented engineering team have released their most recent masterpiece to Australia – the 2018 Holden Commodore – and this time making sure it felt like a Commodore was more critical than ever.
“We’ve been working with the GM team in Europe for a few years to make sure all of the elements of Commodores are present in this car but when it comes to how it feels, that’s work we have to do here,” said Trubiani.
“Australians have different driving tastes to Europeans and Americans. Here we like cars to feel more connected to the road and more engaging to drive. It’s all about road feel and steering.
“We’ve developed an Australian suspension tune that works unique Holden hardware in the shape of struts and shocks to make sure the new Commodore feels as planted as ever. Then, add in the adaptive AWD system and it feels so well-planted it could be running on tram tracks.”

Commodore employs three different suspension settings depending on the role of the vehicle. For luxury-focused models, including Calais-V Calais-V Tourer, a comfort-focused ‘Tour’ setting is used. Sports variants employ a slightly firmer ‘Sports’ set up, while the performance hero, VXR offers an additional ‘Performance’ tune. VXR also boasts a Continuous Damper Control system which gives occupants the best of both worlds, from comfort to outright performance.

But steering is where Trubiani shines most.
“We’ve also given the car the same linear steering feel that Commodores are renowned for, using technology to deliver an electric power steering solution that is not only engaging but inspires ultimate driver confidence.”
“We’ve developed three different Commodore steering tunes - Tour, Sports and Performance – each tailored to suit the car they feature in. We’ve also got switchable mode buttons on certain models to allow drivers to select how they want the car to feel in certain situations.”

Building on Commodore’s extensive testing and tuning carried out at Holden’s Lang Lang proving ground, Holden drivers have also driven an incredible 200,000km on local roads as part of the Captured Test Fleet (CTF) program, designed to evaluate everyday driving performance.
Commodore’s CTF program consisted of over 30 pre-production vehicles with a wide range of Holden employees jumping at the chance to test the car.
“The CTF program is a great way for us to check those day-to-day issues that annoy us all. Things like poor radio reception, squeaks and rattles,” said Holden’s Product Development Quality Manager, Paul Sbrissa.

“The new Commodore has a long list of high-tech features including 360-degree camera, adaptive LED lighting and head-up display. We need to make sure these all work smoothly to ensure that the 2018 Commodore fits in seamlessly with Australian drivers’ lives.”
Commodore has long been known for exceptional product quality combined with exhilarating performance, and while the new Commodore is not the traditional rear-wheel-drive, its Adaptive AWD system delivers in spades.

Standard on all 3.6-litre V6 models, Commodore’s adaptive AWD system provides Twinster state-of-the-art technology for more grip, especially in slippery conditions, as well as better compensation of oversteer and understeer.
Commodore’s adaptive AWD system utilises Twinster’s twin clutch concept, which uses one clutch to control torque to the right rear wheel independent of the clutch controlling torque to the left rear wheel – each with an individual clutch capacity of 1500Nm. The system monitors inputs from vehicle sensors up to 100 times per second. Torque split is between 100 : 0 and 50 : 50 Front : Rear. In short, Commodore drives whichever wheels it takes to produce the best performance possible - wet or dry.

Further innovation is found in all petrol Commodores, thanks to an all-new 9-speed automatic transmission. Fine tuned through years of 4-speed, 5-speed and 6-speed transmission development, it’s no fluke that the new 9-speed transmission is always in the right gear and ready to respond to driver demand.
With such an in-depth engineering involvement on the car, Trubiani has one message for those on the fence.
“The new Commodore will surprise people, the 3.6-litre V6 is a heap of fun and the 2.0-litre turbo is a dark horse. I’d encourage people to go check the car out for themselves. They won’t be disappointed.”

Calais V

VXR

VXR

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 16-02-2018 at 08:44 AM.
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-02-2018, 02:34 PM   #2
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: 2018 Holden Commodore Engineered To The Edge Of The World And Beyond

Source: Ford media
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2018, 02:41 PM   #3
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2018 Holden Commodore Engineered To The Edge Of The World And Beyond

Of course he is going to talk it up. So will the media.
Let the future sales give the verdict. The media releases from Holden honchos during the past few years make me wonder what fantasy world they are living in.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-02-2018, 09:44 PM   #4
anto
Za Dom spremni

That is one ugly looking car right there
AU III XR8 red ute
anto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2018, 07:20 PM   #5
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

60k+ for not really a performance car that does 0-100 in 7 seconds lol.

I'm sure they'll sell a few to the brain dead.
Makes a mustang even more of a bargain.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2018, 11:38 PM   #6
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm still really dirty on them slapping a Commodore badge on this. A Commodore was an Aussie built family sized RWD with an option of a V8

Why not call it what it is, an Insignia which we already had before. It might be a decent car but is not similar at all.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-02-2018, 10:05 AM   #7
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
I'm still really dirty on them slapping a Commodore badge on this. A Commodore was an Aussie built family sized RWD with an option of a V8

Why not call it what it is, an Insignia which we already had before. It might be a decent car but is not similar at all.
Already put my 2 cents worth in on the other thread just started on this car but I agree totally with you on that.
Despite the virtues or otherwise of this car , even some diehard Holden Commodore fans that I know wish that they'd retired the Commodore nameplate like Ford did with the Falcon. Beats me why as you say they just didn't call it Insignia or even go mad and name it something very unique but famous in Australia. Retaining the Commodore name might well backfire for GMH by the loyalists.
Then again , maybe the spin doctors and market analysts at GMH know more about all this than we do and the Commy nameplate is best. Not for many fans though me thinks.

Last edited by roddy1960; 18-02-2018 at 10:14 AM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2018, 10:16 AM   #8
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
60k+ for not really a performance car that does 0-100 in 7 seconds lol.

I'm sure they'll sell a few to the brain dead.
Makes a mustang even more of a bargain.
TBH I don’t think they are targeting the bogan SS buyer. They are trying to broaden the appeal of the product with up to date features and tech. The issue will be the public’s appetite for small hatches / SUV and numerous hybrid options becoming available.
Even if this had AWD and 500hp it still wouldn’t sell in volumes.

What they should have done with this “new” commodore is worked on a PHEV option to ensure it has some relevance in today’s market.

This car will flop and not because it doesn’t get to the next set of lights 0.5 secs quicker than a corolla, but because it doesn’t address market dynamics....just like its predecessor.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-02-2018, 11:26 AM   #9
Vormund

I think the Tourer is probably going to be the most popular in the range. (not saying much though, I don't think it will sell well overall)
Vormund is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2018, 11:47 AM   #10
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey-GT View Post
TBH I don’t think they are targeting the bogan SS buyer. They are trying to broaden the appeal of the product with up to date features and tech. The issue will be the public’s appetite for small hatches / SUV and numerous hybrid options becoming available.

What they should have done with this “new” commodore is worked on a PHEV option to ensure it has some relevance in today’s market.

This car will flop and not because it doesn’t get to the next set of lights 0.5 secs quicker than a corolla, but because it doesn’t address market dynamics....just like its predecessor.
Agreed.

Just the marketing spiel I read on car advice yesterday touting it's performance.
It's sad to see, dunno how they can write it with a straight face.

As a daily driver that can get the kids to the beach it's ok.
But forget the vxr version.

XC Cobra #181.
Old 18-02-2018, 12:28 PM   #11
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
Agreed.

Just the marketing spiel I read on car advice yesterday touting it's performance.
It's sad to see, dunno how they can write it with a straight face.
I really don't get it when any car maker tries that approach. I remember when they pulled the power in the mid 70s and 80s all the manufacturers advertised about performance.

I worked after hours at a local speed shop so I could get discounts on race parts.

Sometimes I would test drive customer cars. They were slow. The Monte Carlo SS was the worst offender. Some fall for it.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-02-2018, 12:49 PM   #12
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate my cobra was the best looking car man has ever made.

It was also the slowest.

I'll never forget the day two hot chicks in a corolla lined me up and the secondaries wouldn't kick in...oh my!

XC Cobra #181.
4 users like this post:
Old 18-02-2018, 02:05 PM   #13
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
TBH I don’t think they are targeting the bogan SS buyer.
Agree. The bogans (including me) already have their cars, and the ZB is just another Mazda, Toyoto, or down market Audi, VW. Their V6 prices are getting beyond the realm of the 'appliance' car shopper.
Boganmobiles are now dual cab utes, and those prices are getting beyond reality. $80K for a Finke Desert Race prepped Raptor poseur, and over $60K for a HSV Sportspussy.
Those prices make a VE/VF SSV and FG/FGX XR look great value for a keeper.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-02-2018, 01:21 PM   #14
whales
351 Cleveland:Pure Muscle

I bet my bottom dollar it wont matter how basic or over priced the new commodores are, Holden will market them to the hilt and they will sell heaps of them.

Pity Ford don't do something like this to replace the Falcon as the Mondeo is not selling at all.
Old 20-02-2018, 03:02 PM   #15
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by whales View Post
I bet my bottom dollar it wont matter how basic or over priced the new commodores are, Holden will market them to the hilt and they will sell heaps of them.

Pity Ford don't do something like this to replace the Falcon as the Mondeo is not selling at all.
Medium is a dead segment. Only the Camry sold in reasonable numbers and now that it is imported those numbers will drop back. All the other cheap medium cars sell less than 500 a month, Mazda 6, Liberty etc.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-02-2018, 03:09 PM   #16
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

I thought after FGX grilles couldn't look any uglier. I was wrong.

That car is just another copy paste of every other medium size car sold. No thanks

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2018, 03:52 PM   #17
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Externally that is. Might has some bells and whistles

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2018, 06:44 PM   #18
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by whales View Post

Because they are just a shopping trolley ,albeit a very nice shopping trolley, the tyranny of distance and small population/market and now a backwater compared to the US , Asia and Europe means that Mondeo will likely never see an exciting range and really sporty option to put fire in the belly like the locally produced Falcon did. Don't get me wrong , the Mondeo is a well sorted out car , nice tech and all but bloody average at best for the driving buzz factor .
Somehow F/A needs to convince one of the head honcho's to whack a 2.7 l TT or something like the Fusion has to spark up the action over the current offerings . Highly doubt we'd ever have that much clout here in the backblocks. Mustang , Focus RS will be it in that regard I reckon.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2018, 04:07 PM   #19
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:

gee thanks, themz fightn wordz right there.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2018, 08:45 PM   #20
4stanger