Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 19-08-2020, 11:54 AM   #61
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: How would you design a new post-apocalyptic society?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke View Post
one of my many skills is that i,m a farrier , so i can shoe horses,so i can get around with my horses, and i will have a trade-able skill. i live on arcerage, i can grow food, house cows,pigs,lambs and chickens. i have firearms too, good for zombies, xxxxxxx and killing animals (for food, sorry city people but thats how it done, deal with it). my property is boarded on a spring fed creek that has never run dry in the 20 years i,ve been here. i have solar power and a diesel and petrol generator.
anyway its all hypothetical isn't it.
Speaking of generators, I remember my brothers mates had a little petrol generator back in 1970's a small single cylinder Kawasaki I think. I think they were the first of modern generators. I don't know how long they lasted being used every day, they had a kero fridge as well.

Did they have small portable type generators in the 1960's ?

I would see them kero fridge on Fraser Island back in the 70's as well and one house had a huge diesel generator to run the small house I would say that it weighed a tonne. why so big, I don't know.

Hell I could run the whole house on my cheap chines 850w AGM 62cc 2 stroke, fridge and small beer fridge, TV, fans and just cook with gas. it must be say 15yo now and still is fine.

One would think a small modern kick start turbo diesel say of around 200cc could power a house and last longer than a petrol and cheap to run and just use a gas stove.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-08-2020, 01:01 PM   #62
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick taylor View Post
Speaking of generators, I remember my brothers mates had a little petrol generator back in 1970's a small single cylinder Kawasaki I think. I think they were the first of modern generators. I don't know how long they lasted being used every day, they had a kero fridge as well.

Did they have small portable type generators in the 1960's ?

I would see them kero fridge on Fraser Island back in the 70's as well and one house had a huge diesel generator to run the small house I would say that it weighed a tonne. why so big, I don't know.

Hell I could run the whole house on my cheap chines 850w AGM 62cc 2 stroke, fridge and small beer fridge, TV, fans and just cook with gas. it must be say 15yo now and still is fine.

One would think a small modern kick start turbo diesel say of around 200cc could power a house and last longer than a petrol and cheap to run and just use a gas stove.
Solar is great for most things but like you mention its not so good at refrigeration long term. I just ordered a gas frig as just about everything else is done here and runs off 12v/24v DC.
The 8Kva biodiesel genset I use mainly runs the workshop air compressor and other tools. It also serves duty as a backup for recharging the banks.

I keep a little 1300w petrol one on the truck for smaller stuff.

Between wind/solar/gas/bio diesel this is my little haven.

I know there are plenty of individuals doing so but wouldn't it be great if more small towns could set themselves up harnessing rainwater, solar wind farm on a small scale food production, making their own fuels.

Old 19-08-2020, 02:53 PM   #63
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's not really the idea in todays world rokwiz. Everybody needs to be dependent upon everyone else. And of course the guvmints of the day.
This user likes this post:
Old 19-08-2020, 03:53 PM   #64
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute83 View Post
That's not really the idea in todays world rokwiz. Everybody needs to be dependent upon everyone else. And of course the guvmints of the day.
Not me, I've lived offgrid in various forms going on 30 years now.

Old 19-08-2020, 04:21 PM   #65
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
PG2 agreed.

Let's get back to a post-apocalyptic society. Easier still, my mate in Gippsland found all this coal. We can fischer-tropsch it and there's diesel. We can whack the coal into a plant, and there's some electricity.

We've nearly finished machining parts for a steam power plant, boiler, reciprocating engine too. A heap of mirrors pointing at a central water boiler keeps it moving after dark too, so we don't have to add coal or wood to heat it most of the time.
hey, check out the book "wood gasifier builders bible"

and check out "the white cliffs project 1979 - 1989" or you know it already, basically they did what you said, however i think a trough solar collector system is easier to build. check out solar stirling engines, the ones with big parabolic solar dishes, they are really cool.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-08-2020, 08:38 PM   #66
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Lol................................

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
4 users like this post:
Old 19-08-2020, 09:32 PM   #67
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Damn straight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCARADb9asE

We come in peace, shoot to kill, shoot to kill, shoot to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
How the hell did I not know of this??

Bloody gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey
It's so good isn't it?

From the rage era of late 80's early 90's - special effects without any CGI lol
Catchy tune

Mum had us into the Trek as small kids, she loves it

star trekin across the universe .. only going forward .. still can't find reverse . . . . . . .

have the single
Old 19-08-2020, 09:37 PM   #68
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I think E85 is the interim solution to independence from Middle Eastern oil, supports local farmers and an easy win on emissions reduction targets as it's cleaner than normal fuel, wouldn't be too hard to retrofit either to the existing car parc.

Consider it done in Francoville
2 users like this post:
Old 20-08-2020, 07:44 AM   #69
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
Lol................................

Sounds good, that means Holden panel vans and Ford coupes will be coming back next year.

Old 20-08-2020, 12:49 PM   #70
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

If it's a true apocalypse everyone would be dead and I think nature would get on a lot better on its own.
Old 20-08-2020, 12:56 PM   #71
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
If it's a true apocalypse everyone would be dead and I think nature would get on a lot better on its own.
This is an interesting doco series...

https://www.history.com/shows/life-after-people

A bit a preview...

3 users like this post:
Old 20-08-2020, 01:28 PM   #72
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Interesting hypotheticals, Petronas towers are steel encased concrete, most likley to last 2000 years before corrosion sets in.

Westgate bridge, 20 years I'll give it without maintenance. Haven't crossed it for a few years but every time a heavy truck makes it bounce, it scares the living vegan food out of me
3 users like this post:
Old 20-08-2020, 02:59 PM   #73
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo
I think E85 is the interim solution to independence from Middle Eastern oil, supports local farmers and an easy win on emissions reduction targets as it's cleaner than normal fuel, wouldn't be too hard to retrofit either to the existing car parc.

Mad Max would be able to screw plenty more boost out of his blower on E85
4 users like this post:
Old 20-08-2020, 03:12 PM   #74
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Mad Max would be able to screw plenty more boost out of his blower on E85
It's our equivalent of Popeyes spinach.

It's like the best of everything, good for environment, good for power, good for farmers and good for Franco because you use 40% more by volume so my cut of your spondoolies is more
Old 20-08-2020, 03:18 PM   #75
marty351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
It's our equivalent of Popeyes spinach.

It's like the best of everything, good for environment, good for power, good for farmers and good for Franco because you use 40% more by volume so my cut of your spondoolies is more
That's why I shop at Tuckerbag.
Old 20-08-2020, 08:50 PM   #76
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Who does an E85 tune for the aussie Ford i6? just in case...
Old 20-08-2020, 10:25 PM   #77
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
This is an interesting doco series...
I watched a bit of that series at different times. It seemed overly pessimistic in its predictions for buildings.
Modern buildings don't really require much in the way of structural maintenance.

And I don't understand their obsession that all glass will somehow self-destruct without the presence of humans.

I'd be really interested to see how long it would take native vegetation to grow over roads and such, but most modern buildings will stand mostly unchanged for hundreds of years. Corrosion will eventually weaken many window frames, leaving then vulnerable to storm damage, but its not all going to happen at once.
Old 20-08-2020, 10:31 PM   #78
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post

Quote:
Why bother?
Just equip all your to run on gas.
Worst case you'll be able to run them on poo-gas.
And in the interim we could easily become completely self-sufficient, running everything on LPG or CNG/ LNG.
Old 20-08-2020, 10:35 PM   #79
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People forget that in the event of an Apocolypse, Australia will have no problem with food or energy. Our problems will be the lack of manufactured goods, and trying to stop the millions of Asians who will come down looking for food and clean water.
2 users like this post:
Old 20-08-2020, 10:45 PM   #80
gooseneck
Banned

Don't forget my prune juice in those metal cans. Cause metal cans keep them fresher and are 50c cheaper than the bottled stuff. And Tetley Tea bags.

Got to have your essentials.

We're supposed to be stockpiling food, you know what my mum wants me to buy her? Bread and M&Ms. And she wants me to freeze it in my chest freezer.

She reckons she is gonna live off of my canned fruit and vegetables and corned beef. Her cupboard is full of spices and recipe sachets, its completely useless for anything of value.

I think LPG or burning "random" Gas is a good way to go as long as you realize that YOU WILL have a lot of backfires unless you are using an injected system.

That gets us transportation and generator power. Now all we need is a large farm and it must be aquaponic otherwise we won't have protein. And we need food sources for the fish.

Obviously you cannot rely on generator power as your sole source of energy, you need solar for sure and a distribution network at 240v. I would recommend those island power inverters which can run when the sun is up so you don't have to invest thousands in expensive LifePO4 batteries.

I would keep the generators for emergency power during winter and the expensive LifePO4 batteries for streetlighting at low wattages and CCTV systems.

If you need to step the voltage up you can use two microwave oven transformers to transfer electricity a long distance. Just wire the secondaries together and use the primary of the 2nd transformer as the output on the far end and the primary of the first one as the input on the generator side.

To get you into the mood, I like to watch Kreosan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEezIqNx51g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7NFySg1KrA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMSsU1acL9U

They're idiots but they're lovable idiots. Moving to Pripyat/Chernobyl. All that lead paint...

Last edited by gooseneck; 20-08-2020 at 11:10 PM.
Old 20-08-2020, 10:49 PM   #81
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Why bother with a redundant sheet box when you could run a Tesla on solar panels and flog any i6 with your grandma driving...
Old 20-08-2020, 10:50 PM   #82
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Why bother?
Just equip all your to run on gas.
Worst case you'll be able to run them on poo-gas.
And in the interim we could easily become completely self-sufficient, running everything on LPG or CNG/ LNG.
LPG is for BBQs

https://www.unitedpetroleum.com.au/fuel/e85/
Old 21-08-2020, 12:13 AM   #83
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
I watched a bit of that series at different times. It seemed overly pessimistic in its predictions for buildings.
Modern buildings don't really require much in the way of structural maintenance.

And I don't understand their obsession that all glass will somehow self-destruct without the presence of humans.

I'd be really interested to see how long it would take native vegetation to grow over roads and such, but most modern buildings will stand mostly unchanged for hundreds of years. Corrosion will eventually weaken many window frames, leaving then vulnerable to storm damage, but its not all going to happen at once.
Don’t know about that?
Here in the jungle I have seen unoccupied, un-maintained houses completely reclaimed by the jungle in less than a year!
I mean totally encapsulated in vegetation!
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
3 users like this post:
Old 21-08-2020, 02:17 AM   #84
marty351

Whose gonna make gun spares?

I invisage running outa ammo and wearing out barrels just for huntin food. And I'm not gonna mention the vegan hordes stealin' my crops!
We'll need metalworkers and chemist's fur fertilisers, the list grows long.

I just don't wanna be rebuilding mosques and other wasteful items If I have me ol'shooty.
5 users like this post:
Old 21-08-2020, 07:28 AM   #85
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
Why bother with a redundant sheet box when you could run a Tesla on solar panels and flog any i6 with your grandma driving...
In the event of a post apocalyptic fuel shortage, may I suggest that the well to do warlord could be borne aloft on his throne by slaves...
2 users like this post:
Old 21-08-2020, 08:17 AM   #86
superyob
Banned

Off course Big Damo may need a few extra maidens to bear him skyward but that is a price I am sure he is willing to pay...
Old 21-08-2020, 08:35 AM   #87
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
Whose gonna make gun spares?

I invisage running outa ammo and wearing out barrels just for huntin food. .
I remember a guy in Gordon, Sydney made his own, maybe he could ramp up a little I guess to keep up demand.
Oh wait I think he was on some kind of watch list.

2 users like this post:
Old 21-08-2020, 07:50 PM   #88
Pis-ton broke
Banned

in the new post-apocalyptic society, e85 will be re-distilled into drinkable alcohol, this is because of frigid women neglecting to participate in there duty to re-populate the world, as men need every help they can with sheila's.

once again horses will be the main means of transport, as it was for over one thousand years before. people will have ONE horse power,not 200 or 300 hp. if you have a buggie or chariot, it will be two horse power , but it will be referred to as a wog chariot , simply because valiants always had more power than than ford and holden.

if joe biden wins in the usa, it will become racist to ride a black or brown horse and , a new ..'IST will be invented for the chestnut horse, rangist, and you can,t ride them either.

if the trumpster wins, then v8,s will prevail , the evil empire and china will be defeated , and elon musk will take us to mars. life as we know it will care on.

but this is all hypothetical.

Last edited by Pis-ton broke; 21-08-2020 at 07:55 PM.
4 users like this post:
Old 21-08-2020, 08:44 PM   #89
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke View Post
in the new post-apocalyptic society, e85 will be re-distilled into drinkable alcohol, this is because of frigid women neglecting to participate in there duty to re-populate the world, as men need every help they can with sheila's.
Noone wants to repopulate the world with ugly and uneducated men. Leave the un****able men with alcohol to drown their sorrows quietly.

2 users like this post:
Old 22-08-2020, 12:14 PM   #90
gooseneck
Banned

Okay what happened here we'll never know.

In saying that I think there should be laws against rape and sexual activity with a minor and a ban against moonshine and alcohol of all kinds, its not done our society any good today. I think the only manufacturing or distilling of E85 should be to produce rubbing alcohol for medical purposes.

I've got nothing against weak alcoholic or non-alcoholic beer. Like less than 2% alcohol by volume but the stuff containing alcohol should require a medical perscription for treatment of depression.

I think growing your own tobacco should be legal. It was done by aborigines of all countries around the world I don't see why it should be banned in a world where the life expectancy is more than likely going to drop down to the 50s and 60s as a result of a lack of medical science. With more weaker strains of tobacco its addictive potential is lessened too. Should be a good thing overall as it will build friendship among strangers around campfires.
Closed Thread