Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 11-12-2017, 09:23 PM   #1
GrannyLeeBoo
Starter Motor

Default 91 KH Laser no spark!!

Hi guys. Have a kh laser that died on the highway with no warning. Checked for spark and got nothing. Replaced dizzy. Nothing. Replaced coil. Nothing. Replaced leads. Nothing. Used a light tester on coil and it has power on one plug. I am stumped. Any ideas???
GrannyLeeBoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2017, 09:33 AM   #2
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: 91 KH Laser no spark!!

Assuming you've replaced the HT lead (coil to distributor) then the next thing is to check the main engine fuse. The distributor module (the black thing inside the distributor) can fail as well but if you replaced the distributor that's unlikely.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2017, 12:44 PM   #3
GrannyLeeBoo
Starter Motor

I did replace ht lead. I checked main fuse and it looks ok. Would it still crank if main fuse is blown? It still cranks just doesnt fire
Old 12-12-2017, 02:27 PM   #4
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Pull a spark plug out, reconnect the ignition lead and hold it near the engine while someone cranks the engine. If there is spark, you should be able to see it 'earth' to the engine.

If there is spark, then it sounds like a fuel issue.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:35 PM   #5
GrannyLeeBoo
Starter Motor

It has no spark. Even after replacing everything
Old 12-12-2017, 03:15 PM   #6
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

The next thing you could check then is the wiring loom from the dizzy. Are there any broken wires or plugs?
Old 12-12-2017, 03:36 PM   #7
GrannyLeeBoo
Starter Motor

From dizzy to coil? No broken wires. The connections all look fine aswell. I will get contact cleaner and spray them just to be safe
Old 12-12-2017, 04:11 PM   #8
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

I had a similar issue on my KH and it was the distributor module inside the dizzy. Did you replace the dizzy with a new or second hand unit and are you sure the dizzy you replaced it with does not have the same problem? Are you getting power to the dizzy and is it earthed ok?
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-01-2018, 02:00 AM   #9
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND View Post
I had a similar issue on my KH and it was the distributor module inside the dizzy. Did you replace the dizzy with a new or second hand unit and are you sure the dizzy you replaced it with does not have the same problem? Are you getting power to the dizzy and is it earthed ok?
Had the same issue with my Mum's KF GHIA .... it intermittently had issues starting ... and then just didn't start at all ... the Dizzy module back then was hard to get ... I had to get one from the wrecker at the time.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post