Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 24-06-2019, 08:08 PM   #1
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Mondeo front end thumping.

HI all. Not sure where to put this but here it is. Ford says this is normal for a 2018 Mondeo on Continental tyres with 38k on the clock.
Almost full lock either way front tyres skipping sideways and making thumping sound in car. Worse on right turns under very light acceleration.
Radial noise at 53 and 81 km/h (Sounds like a V6 commodore with loud exhaust driving beside me).
Ford says wheel alignment cannot be done when tyres are worn but tyres not needing to be replaced yet.
Note side way marks on tyre tread. Also rear tyres feathering on the outside and fronts on the inside. The tyres were rotated a month ago from front to rear as a set.
No alignment done since new and no gutters or pot holes hit.
Any info on what is really going on and tyre recommendations would be appreciated.
I wont be going to Ford for tyres or alignment as they obvisly don't care. Cheers, Julian.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mondeo fronts_opt.jpg (47.2 KB, 30 views)
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2019, 08:25 PM   #2
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Default Re: Mondeo front end thumping.

Moved to Mondeo Forum
Old 25-06-2019, 10:56 AM   #3
asteele-xr6

I learned that there is no substitute for regular alignment of both front and rear wheels - and I do it at every service.

I have previously had to replace far too many tyres though improper wear - my Peugeot 508 was a shocker, Mondeo has been great - but I still re-align at each service to ensure it remains so.

Alignment can shift without hitting a pot-hole, and if left unchecked it can destroy a tyre well before you have driven the expected km on it.

If you don't trust that your dealer has the right equipment and sound minded mechanic to operate it, then go do a tyre centre that does - and they should be able to provide you with a before and after report too.

Hope this helps - good luck!
asteele-xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2019, 02:07 PM   #4
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by asteele-xr6 View Post
I learned that there is no substitute for regular alignment of both front and rear wheels - and I do it at every service.
This I when I realised Ford don't care when they said "a wheel alignment cant be done when tyres are worn". In other words an alignment can only be done with new tyres!!
Great to hear your Mondeo is fine when alignment done at each service which is what I thought (every 10,000-15,000 k's)
This Mondeo is running 18"s and not sure what tyre to get. What brand are you running and how do you find them for handling, wear and noise?

Cheers for the feedback.
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2019, 02:38 PM   #5
asteele-xr6

I am now on my 3rd set of new tyres, and have mostly used Michelin Pilot Sport 4's - but that's because Costco had a good deal at the time I needed them.

I am not sure I can make much of an assessment for handling wear and noise, but I am assuming Michelin have put some money into research and development... and they seem fine to me, and I certainly drive with spirit and enthusiasm!

I recon that the regular alignment and running them 2psi higher than is recommended is the trick to getting the best value and performance from them.
asteele-xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-08-2019, 02:58 PM   #6
evanlau
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joolz View Post
Almost full lock either way front tyres skipping sideways and making thumping sound in car. Worse on right turns under very light acceleration.
I noticed this recently on mine as well. Only done 15,000km with the original Continental SC5 tyres. Mostly when the ground is wet/damp with tyres turned either way, going over bumps (e.g. driveway to road). I assumed the tyres are doing exactly what you describe here - skipping and thumping. Also experience a bit of wheel spin in wet/damp conditions when taking off, e.g. at roundabouts, even without putting the foot down too hard.

Is this a thread issue? It's just been for a service and told no issues with tyres..
evanlau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2019, 06:42 PM   #7
thebigd

joolz.
I cant relate to your thumping issue, but since there's been some comments about OE tyre performance...
I've been lucky enough to have had two new Mondeo company vehicles allocated to me in 14 months. The first one (build 1/18) had Michelin Primacy 3 tyres. My new one (7/18) build has the Conti CS5's. I wont say chalk and cheese, but the Michelin is a far better product IMO. Clearly much more quiet on the rough stuff, and better grip in those just wet / slippery conditions.
thebigd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2019, 08:46 PM   #8
bundybear75

I'm still staggered at the fact you have got 38,000km out of a set of tyres. ��
2010 Peugeot 308 HDi SW - Shaggin Wagon II
2016 VDJ200R Landcruiser GX Wagon - TTD V8 Power !
2017 Toyota RAV4 GX Wagon - Shopping trolley - Gone
2022 Volvo XC40 T4 Inscription - Shopping trolley II
2002 BMW R1150GS
bundybear75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2019, 11:47 PM   #9
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Check alignment, check tyre pressures. When I had this issue on mine, I noticed that it happened mostly on wet roads, and saw that the front tyres were worn on the outside. Replaced the front tyres and that fixed the problem.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2019, 08:45 AM   #10
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We exit our estate facing uphill onto a road with an 80 kph limit and if I'm turning left I have to be very careful with the throttle, otherwise I will lose traction on the inside (passenger) wheel of the car.

Now for those mechanically minded the following might be teaching people to suck eggs - Sorry !

But for those who are not, the MD diesels ford import to Oz have a first gear ratio of 3.583:1 and its final drive ratio is 2.905:1 (SFAICT). These two numbers multiply together and the result multiplies the torque figure from the engine by the same value.

So with that sort of multiplication there could be as much as 4150 Nm being fed to the driving wheels. If the tyres have any kind of limitation in terms of grip then losing traction when cornering is not very difficult to do.

I have the same problem backing out of the drive - especially in the wet - and the problem is worse in reverse because reverse gear is a higher figure than first gear (4.843).

So my view is that it has little to do with alignment and a lot to do with the engine torque figure. Motto: gently does it - especially in the wet.

Oh I'm running Continental Contisport Contact 5 tyres that will need replacement in a couple of thousand ks when they will have covered about 35000km. I don't think I will be putting the same tyre on the wheels.

I can say the "problem" has gotten worse as the tyres have worn.

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: