Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-07-2022, 02:57 PM   #1021
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: New Ranger teaser vidz

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
While v6 may be popular here, perhaps it's only a small percentage of total production given the tax on larger capacity engines in Asian regions, and the push to ban diesel in other countries.

Still, they have misread Australian demand on a number of models for many years. Makes it hard to defend, even for me.
You are correct on the first part. It's not even available in Thailand with the V6. So i'm assuming it's only really going to be available in Oz and NZ from Thai production.

But yes they have significantly underscored the demand for the V6TD here. Which is baffling considering the precedent VW set with the V6TD Amarok which made up the bulk of it's sales here. Somewhere in the region of 70% I think. How did they expect only 20% of people to tick the V6TD box when ordering, considering how much of a power hungry nation we are?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2022, 03:00 PM   #1022
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Is it really a 'review' when you're sponsored by the company to come down to participate?

I'm always suspect on that sort of stuff, sponsored 'reviews' aren't really 'reviews' because someone is getting paid/getting perks for an opinion, its not independent where you're looking at a product purely based on what it is.

Its a good looking car though, looks tough AF with that new front end, the integrated brake controller, that trailer light test mode is wicked and the included aux switches for electrical accessories.
You could say the same for any vehicle launch though. The manufacturers have always schmoozed the journos with food and drinks, and small little memento's/gifts. It's been going on forever. It's the journos job to stay impartial though. Not that they always do.
Old 19-07-2022, 03:17 PM   #1023
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
You could say the same for any vehicle launch though. The manufacturers have always schmoozed the journos with food and drinks, and small little memento's/gifts. It's been going on forever. It's the journos job to stay impartial though. Not that they always do.
Certainly, automotive journalists in Australia are the bottom of the barrel for journalists which is a feat in itself

I feel as a youtuber, say if he was able to get a press car, independently from a Ford drive day type event they have the opportunity for a more honest opinion rather than having Ford staff explain features to you or even 'help you with filming' (which he mentioned in the clip).

It all adds up to bias, it becomes a sponsor placement/'advertisment' rather than a 'review'.

None the less was a good opportunity that I got to see what one looks like and some of the features anyway.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-07-2022, 03:23 PM   #1024
GT1533

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
I'm sure I'll get a good look at the front of one as it's sitting right on my rear bumper.
With 3 tonne riding on drum brakes versus my 2 tonne on brembos - the closer they follow, the slower I go….

Morons.
GT1533 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2022, 04:04 PM   #1025
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1533 View Post
With 3 tonne riding on drum brakes versus my 2 tonne on brembos - the closer they follow, the slower I go….

Morons.
I drum in to my wife and daughter not to resort to those types of behaviours. All it does is escalate the situation and antagonise the driver. Best to just continue driving normally and be aware they are there but focus out the front.
Old 19-07-2022, 04:19 PM   #1026
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
With Amarok buyers choosing something like 70% V6, they should have known it was going to be a popular choice to go V6. Especially when they priced it so cheaply.

At least they were quick to make the production change.

The 20% in these articles relates to the Premium Pack, not the V6. They allowed more then 20% for V6 production, but only about 18% for premium pack which has caused all the problems (not enough Matrix LED lights). The uptake of the premium pack was more like 80%, which meant a lot of cars never made the first quarter of production. I'm not sure if they filled these up with alternative orders for themselves.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-07-2022, 06:54 PM   #1027
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
The 20% in these articles relates to the Premium Pack, not the V6. They allowed more then 20% for V6 production, but only about 18% for premium pack which has caused all the problems (not enough Matrix LED lights). The uptake of the premium pack was more like 80%, which meant a lot of cars never made the first quarter of production. I'm not sure if they filled these up with alternative orders for themselves.
I guess some didn't read my line at the bottom of the quoted article...
Quote:
How come it's only Ford planners that didn't expect most buyers choosing Wildtrak would go V6 with premium pack....?
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2022, 10:00 PM   #1028
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Carsales review has complained about the new e-shifter not having a decent feel to it when using to change gears, it doesn't have the same feel as a cable operated shifter (obviously) - it's not pulling or pushing a shift linkage so there goes that 'feel' they're talking about

Makes you wonder given the box is now electronically controlled why they just didn't use a rotary dial shifter like the SA Focus has.

They're also ragging on the 2.0L TT 4 cylinder lacking low down torque and rougher in comparison to the V6 - well you don't need to be a genius to figure out the bigger engine with more cylinders is going to behave better

I love me some forced induction but the saying is always true, there's no replacement for displacement, especially when both have forced induction.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 19-07-2022 at 10:06 PM.
Old 19-07-2022, 10:36 PM   #1029
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Looks like GCM has been raised? Thought it was only 6t before.

Good news for those towing heavy vans. Payload looks decent too. Still plenty of room for luggage even with a 3t trailer.
Over the past few years it seems like there's much more awareness about how easy it is to exceed you GVM or GCM with most vehicles you see towing on Australian highways. Ford trying to improve this issue may make them stand out over competitors.

Quote:
Carsales review has complained about the new e-shifter not having a decent feel to it when using to change gears, it doesn't have the same feel as a cable operated shifter (obviously) - it's not pulling or pushing a shift linkage so there goes that 'feel' they're talking about

Makes you wonder given the box is now electronically controlled why they just didn't use a rotary dial shifter like the SA Focus has.
I read in the Carexpert review that head office in Dearborn wanted to install the dial shifter but someone else wanted the e-shifter.

After driving cars with both I think dial shifter is the way to go. I hate stick shifters that always return to the middle. First time I used one I put it into park while trying to do a 3 point turn.

Last edited by Ben73; 19-07-2022 at 10:42 PM.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2022, 10:55 PM   #1030
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Over the past few years it seems like there's much more awareness about how easy it is to exceed you GVM or GCM with most vehicles you see towing on Australian highways. Ford trying to improve this issue may make them stand out over competitors.
Ranger is one of the best towing vehicles on the market. Long wheelbase and short hitch overhang. Now with more power, even though it still falls short of land cruiser, the benefits are hard to ignore. You can now tow a 3t van with ranger and still have a tow vehicle a bit heavier than the van if loaded carefully. It's these small attentions to detail that make a difference sometimes.

I wonder if the axle limits have been tweeked?
Old 19-07-2022, 11:00 PM   #1031
prydey
Rob

Quote:

I asked this same question many pages back and I think I was told it had something to do with having buttons on the shifter or something.

Our escape has the rotary dial, but also has paddle shifters. From memory ranger has buttons on the shifter?? Don't quote me. Maybe bossxr8 can confirm.
Old 19-07-2022, 11:21 PM   #1032
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
I asked this same question many pages back and I think I was told it had something to do with having buttons on the shifter or something.

Our escape has the rotary dial, but also has paddle shifters. From memory ranger has buttons on the shifter?? Don't quote me. Maybe bossxr8 can confirm.
Yep I think you're on the money, it has has up/down shift buttons on the shifter itself (rather than paddles), but I still think it needs to be 'actuated' from Park into D

I'm pretty sure its the same shifter that the F150 has.
Old 19-07-2022, 11:35 PM   #1033
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

E shifter is cumbersome from my test drive, it has a fiddly button at the front of it that needs to be pushed in to move it, they should have stuck to the old 6 speed shifter with the adaptive shift + - out of the 3.2 imho. These shifters with + - buttons are crap.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-07-2022, 11:37 PM   #1034
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
E shifter is cumbersome from my test drive, it has a fiddly button at the front of it that needs to be pushed in to move it, they should have stuck to the old 6 speed shifter with the adaptive shift + - out of the 3.2 imho. These shifters with + - buttons are crap.
What does it feel like to move? Because there is no mechanical connection there does it feel like you could snap it off if you ripped on it?

I was going to day Daytona USA arcade machine shifter but that actually has a lot of heft behind it and you can really rip on those things
Old 19-07-2022, 11:39 PM   #1035
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

The rotary dial was originally the plan but many customers didn’t like when they had their customer input clinics
Old 19-07-2022, 11:40 PM   #1036
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What does it feel like to move? Because there is no mechanical connection there does it feel like you could snap it off if you ripped on it?

I was going to day Daytona USA arcade machine shifter but that actually has a lot of heft behind it and you can really rip on those things
Not really but it’s easy to go past reverse and straight to N or D. I’m not a fan of it at all and my father struggled with it. I’m sure after you drove it for a while it would get better.

Part of the reasoning behind it is the car can automatic park and shift between drive and reverse with no user interaction as far as gear selection.
Old 19-07-2022, 11:47 PM   #1037
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Not really but it’s easy to go past reverse and straight to N or D. I’m not a fan of it at all and my father struggled with it. I’m sure after you drove it for a while it would get better.

Part of the reasoning behind it is the car can automatic park and shift between drive and reverse with no user interaction as far as gear selection.
To me sounds like it doesn't have a noticeable detent like what a mechanical shifter does, which is where the shifter 'locks' into each position up against a plate.

Obviously there's no plate to lock into but it can still be implemented on electrical devices like switches, could be an improvement to the shifter design on the next model.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 19-07-2022 at 11:55 PM.
Old 20-07-2022, 12:45 AM   #1038
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My only experience with e-shifters is the Audi ones.
If it's anything like theirs, then it's a big nope from me.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2022, 10:01 AM   #1039
prydey
Rob

Quote:
To me sounds like it doesn't have a noticeable detent like what a mechanical shifter does, which is where the shifter 'locks' into each position up against a plate.

Obviously there's no plate to lock into but it can still be implemented on electrical devices like switches, could be an improvement to the shifter design on the next model.
The rotary dial clicks in to each position so I assume the e-shifter would be similar.

They can make you lazy though... Esp with electronic park brake as well. Just pull up, hit the on/off button and hop out. Car puts itself back to park and the park brake on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit
I’m not a fan of it at all and my father struggled with it. I’m sure after you drove it for a while it would get better.
It's funny how quickly you adjust to the new. The number of times I jump in the territory leaving my keys in my pocket and try to push button start it....
Old 20-07-2022, 10:02 AM   #1040
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

BMW has an E shifter with its proper ZF8.
The Trans could be my favorite thing about the car. note BMW haven't upgraded 10 speeds for the new models its just so good.
Ive mentioned before the Diesel engine power outputs are similar to this new Ranger & if the Ranger is anywhere near similar in performance with its combination, it will convert a lot of the anti Diesel brigade out there.
power delivery & sound
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2022, 10:02 AM   #1041
vbomber

Specs/brochure finally out https://www.ford.com.au/content/dam/...ll-version.pdf
vbomber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2022, 10:34 AM   #1042
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbomber View Post
Looks like they only offer the 2.0L single turbo engine with the 4x2 single cab - how does the 125KW/405NM compare to the 2.2L that the PX had?

EDIT: Seems 4x4 single cab cab chassis has 2.0L bi-turbo option.

DFB - one of these on the shopping list?
Old 20-07-2022, 11:10 AM   #1043
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Well, this is very disappointing. 0-100 between the V6 and the bi-turbo 4 is less than 1.5 seconds difference and 60-110 is about half a second difference. That's really disappointing from a much bigger engine.

https://youtu.be/ETE-NWnOGKw

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2022, 11:17 AM   #1044
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo

They're also ragging on the 2.0L TT 4 cylinder lacking low down torque and rougher in comparison to the V6 - well you don't need to be a genius to figure out the bigger engine with more cylinders is going to behave better

I love me some forced induction but the saying is always true, there's no replacement for displacement, especially when both have forced induction.
I don't know what they are talking about. There is still feel when you move between the slots. It's not much different from the normal gear shifters.

E-shifter adds some extra safety functions as well, automatically going into park when the engine is switched off for example, or when the door is opened while in P. Which is a bit annoying when you are trying to get one on a hoist and you open the door to check the hoist is centered, and you then need to creep forward a little bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey

Yeah it has + and - buttons on the side of the shifter. Pretty useless really.

They were going to use a rotary dial, and the early prototypes had them, but they binned it as no one likes them. I personally hate them with a passion. It's just not intuitive, and you have to think about where you are turning it. That's simply not the case with a conventional shifter handle.

It might be ok when you are used to it, but 99% of people who drive are probably used to the conventional shifter, and the change to a dial takes getting used to. Not what you want. You don't want people having to learn something to be able to drive it and then become second nature.
Old 20-07-2022, 11:35 AM   #1045
prydey
Rob

Quote:
It might be ok when you are used to it, but 99% of people who drive are probably used to the conventional shifter, and the change to a dial takes getting used to. Not what you want. You don't want people having to learn something to be able to drive it and then become second nature.
I don't agree it would be a turn off. Many other manufacturers have gone this way. It really cleans up the console area.

Getting used to it takes about 3 drives. It's a non issue.
Old 20-07-2022, 12:52 PM   #1046
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
Well, this is very disappointing. 0-100 between the V6 and the bi-turbo 4 is less than 1.5 seconds difference and 60-110 is about half a second difference. That's really disappointing from a much bigger engine.

The difference is 500NM vs 600NM - both lots - and delivered through the same 10 speed

1.5 sec is a fair bit though
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2022, 12:57 PM   #1047
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I once had to shift an SA Focus, Territory, MB Vito and Transit Custom one after the other quickly.......rotary dial gear selector on the Focus, trigger selector on the Terry, rhd steering column stalk on the Vito and back into a trigger selector in the Custom..now that took some brain cell overboost...throw in keyless entry and start in the Focus, flip out key in the Terry, funny keyless fob insert in the Vito and back to flip out key in the Custom...I needed to lay down....afterwards...
5 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2022, 01:01 PM   #1048
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper Martini View Post
The difference is 500NM vs 600NM - both lots - and delivered through the same 10 speed

1.5 sec is a fair bit though
Maybe if we can get a side by side drag it will be easier to see the actual distance difference.
2 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2022, 01:09 PM   #1049
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post

Thought the same, then I realised while it's 50% bigger (3L vs 2L) it's only 16% more powerful and 20% more torque...personally I think it has a lot more to give with some mods (say 200+kW/650-700Nm)....and if anything it probably shows how good the 2L is, being a newer design.

Mind you, I'll take that smoothness and more relaxed feel anytime.

Last edited by Dr Smith; 20-07-2022 at 01:17 PM.
Old 20-07-2022, 01:21 PM   #1050
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
Thought the same, then I realised while it's 50% bigger (3L vs 2L) it's only 16% more powerful and 20% more torque...personally I think it has a lot more to give with some mods (say 200+kW/650-700Nm)....and if anything it probably shows how good the 2L is, being a newer design.

Mind you, I'll take that smoothness and more relaxed feel anytime.
Be interesting to see down the track how reliability compares.The 2litre may be much more stressed and last 2-300k but the v6 might be good for an extra 100k or so.I know some people don’t care ,but come reselling time a car with proven longer life will always sell better than one with a not so reliable reputation
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post