Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-04-2022, 11:30 AM   #781
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: New Ranger teaser vidz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGEREST View Post
The market is right for selling pretty much anything, as used car prices are also ridiculously high, changeover price is the thing that matters for most buyers, (unless you've been carless).
I sold my 2½yr old FX4 for 2k less than I paid for it, so my c/o is much less than I anticipated.
Great to hear RANGEREST, many people don’t understand that in the end, it’s all about changeover.
There’s a ravenous, under supplied used car market at the moment and that shouldn’t be overlooked.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-04-2022, 12:54 PM   #782
RANGEREST
Same ****-Different Day

Would any of you guys happen to know tyre sizes on the next gen Ranger? Over on factbook they're talking 255/65/18 for the Sport and Wildtrak.
255/65 seems to be an odd spec, with 265/65 being more common.
UA2 Everest Trend 2.0lt
RANGEREST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2022, 01:14 PM   #783
nibble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
Maybe local dealers can justify their dealer delivery charges if it involved making a hand-over this way

A lot of the marketing/hype seems to be around the Raptor. Dunno why as 95+ percent sold will be the other Ranger variants.
nibble is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2022, 01:58 PM   #784
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They should concentrate on fixing the engine problems. Large holes in the side of the block aren’t a welcome feature…
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2022, 02:01 PM   #785
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintman1 View Post
They should concentrate on fixing the engine problems. Large holes in the side of the block aren’t a welcome feature…
Which engine?
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2022, 02:33 PM   #786
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Y'know with nearly 3000 threads and nearly 40,000 posts in the Ranger/Courier section here I would have thought that someone would have said something about this.

But nope...nothing. More information please.
Old 24-04-2022, 05:36 PM   #787
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Y'know with nearly 3000 threads and nearly 40,000 posts in the Ranger/Courier section here I would have thought that someone would have said something about this.

Troll alert
Fordman1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2022, 06:11 PM   #788
Gumboot

Quote:
I haven’t heard this being an issue. Which model ranger and engine? Any
Empirical evidence?
Gumboot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2022, 06:39 PM   #789
RANGEREST
Same ****-Different Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumboot View Post
I haven’t heard this being an issue. Which model ranger and engine? Any
Empirical evidence?
Only a guess, but possibly the lion V6 back in Jag Land Rover days? which was breaking cranks and have been redesigned.
(sourced from a UK page)
"all of them concurred that the reason for the breakages is an incorrect radius undercut, (between #2 big end and #2 main) i.e. that undercut being too shallow.*This will result in a predetermined potential breaking point (Sollbruchstelle in German)."
UA2 Everest Trend 2.0lt
RANGEREST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2022, 08:58 PM   #790
JKL

Quote:
Would any of you guys happen to know tyre sizes on the next gen Ranger? Over on factbook they're talking 255/65/18 for the Sport and Wildtrak.
The 265 tyre would make sense any word on the rims are they the same offset as current rangers??? Thanks in advance.
JKL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2022, 09:38 PM   #791
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post

His mates cousins brothers best mates dads uncle told him all about it.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2022, 01:20 PM   #792
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Only a guess, but possibly the lion V6 back in Jag Land Rover days? which was breaking cranks and have been redesigned.
(sourced from a UK page)
"all of them concurred that the reason for the breakages is an incorrect radius undercut, (between #2 big end and #2 main) i.e. that undercut being too shallow.*This will result in a predetermined potential breaking point (Sollbruchstelle in German)."
Obviously not realising that the cast crank has been replaced by a steel forging and the oil system upgraded
4 users like this post:
Old 25-04-2022, 01:51 PM   #793
Gumboot

I was looking at all the info but cannot find anywhere the following two items on the new gen V6 raptor

1. Fuel tank size in litres

2. What is the alternator amperage output on the V6 3.0 petrol raptor is?. Its got the accessory switch panel so i wonder if they ate doing the high amperage alternator (250 amp) like to the current fx4 Max ?

thanks
Old 25-04-2022, 07:50 PM   #794
mattrobbo26

Quote:
I was looking at all the info but cannot find anywhere the following two items on the new gen V6 raptor

1. Fuel tank size in litres

2. What is the alternator amperage output on the V6 3.0 petrol raptor is?. Its got the accessory switch panel so i wonder if they ate doing the high amperage alternator (250 amp) like to the current fx4 Max ?

thanks
1. I don't remember where exactly but I'm pretty sure in one of the articles discussing the development of a long range tank for the standard Ranger and not one for the Raptor they said the Raptor tank was 80L.
mattrobbo26 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2022, 08:53 PM   #795
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I have heard of a few issues with the 5 cylinder, but nothing like huge holes. So what's the story?
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2022, 02:28 PM   #796
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGEREST
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKL
The 265 tyre would make sense any word on the rims are they the same offset as current rangers??? Thanks in advance.
The switch has been made to slightly narrower, but taller tyres for P703. Yes the 255/65/18 is correct, on an 18x7.5 +55 rim. Half an inch narrower rim than P375. 17 inch is 255/70/17 on a 17x7.5 +55.

20 inch is 255/55/20 on a 20x8, and Everest 21 inch is a 275/45/21 on a 21x8.5.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 27-04-2022, 02:15 AM   #797
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Why would manufacturers ever choose to go back to a glut of vehicles?
What we perceive as a future glut of vehicles could in fact be a well supplied market but definitely not oversupplied.

My vision of return to “normal” is the following,
All the big holding yards will be full of vehicles but as now, most will already be presold, the only difference
will be shorter wait times and a bit more fast moving dealer stock to appease walk-ins who want it right now.
The above will be mostly the same as pre covid times but with less unsold stock and very controlled discounting.

You are right, it’s natural to assume that some dealers will get greedy and over order stock but I suspect that
a certain equilibrium will be reached where the market is adequately supplied and small controlled discounts
used as intended, to increase sales to dealers without ruining profit margins .
Problem is manufacturers are moving to extra shifts etc. once you beef your production up it’s hard to turn it back down. There will be a time where we see an over supply of vehicles again, as much as manufacturers will try their best to avoid it. Increases in costs of money will see people slow down, when I was a kid in the 80’s / 90’s people ran their cars a lot longer. With interest rates going back up I can see this happening again.

Cars are also at a point now where the technology isn’t really evolving and most manufacturers now offer 5 years warranty. I could happily keep my PX3 ranger and not upgrade it for many years there is nothing it doesn’t do well.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 27-04-2022, 01:31 PM   #798
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
Troll alert
Trouble is a stupid unsubstantiated comment like his could cost Ford a sale
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2022, 09:47 PM   #799
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
Problem is manufacturers are moving to extra shifts etc. once you beef your production up it’s hard to turn it back down. There will be a time where we see an over supply of vehicles again, as much as manufacturers will try their best to avoid it.
I’m sorry, what manufacturers are moving to extra shifts?
All I’m hearing is that as chip supplies improve, production is returning to normal and that is a long way from over supply.
Quote:
Increases in costs of money will see people slow down, when I was a kid in the 80’s / 90’s people ran their cars a lot longer. With interest rates going back up I can see this happening again.
One of the very big differences between then and now is that manufacturers have learned not to sell into a bubble, these days, most would sooner cut production and keep prices up rather than waste time over producing and selling at reduced margins into such a small market like Australia.

Quote:
Cars are also at a point now where the technology isn’t really evolving and most manufacturers now offer 5 years warranty. I could happily keep my PX3 ranger and not upgrade it for many years there is nothing it doesn’t do well.
While that sounds plausible, it might be wise to move it on when seven or eight years old and walk away a winner….
it’s knowing when to trade for a good price before any unexpected major repairs…….let the next buyer deal with that.

Last edited by jpd80; 27-04-2022 at 09:57 PM.
Old 28-04-2022, 12:21 AM   #800
Gumboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrobbo26 View Post
1. I don't remember where exactly but I'm pretty sure in one of the articles discussing the development of a long range tank for the standard Ranger and not one for the Raptor they said the Raptor tank was 80L.

thanks, shame they could not get in a bit more than 80 litres say 100 litres as it will drink a bit I think . Hopefully a long range tank can be slotted in
Old 28-04-2022, 03:45 AM   #801
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
I’m sorry, what manufacturers are moving to extra shifts?
All I’m hearing is that as chip supplies improve, production is returning to normal and that is a long way from over supply.

One of the very big differences between then and now is that manufacturers have learned not to sell into a bubble, these days, most would sooner cut production and keep prices up rather than waste time over producing and selling at reduced margins into such a small market like Australia.

While that sounds plausible, it might be wise to move it on when seven or eight years old and walk away a winner….
it’s knowing when to trade for a good price before any unexpected major repairs…….let the next buyer deal with that.
Your ears must not be close to the ground.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2022, 09:11 AM   #802
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
Your ears must not be close to the ground.
OK since you think over supply of vehicles will happen in the future,
add your prediction to your signature as a constant reminder to me
and that way you can keep throwing it in my face when you’re right.

I just don’t know if I’ll live that long…..
Old 28-04-2022, 10:15 AM   #803
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
One of the very big differences between then and now is that manufacturers have learned not to sell into a bubble, these days, most would sooner cut production and keep prices up rather than waste time over producing and selling at reduced margins
It's a balancing act. The factories have huge fixed overheads regardless of how many units they're produce. You cant just keep cutting production and return the same margin per unit. At some point, models simply die, and we saw that even when times were good. You'll see plenty more of that as rates rise and buyers stop buying.

The only saving grace is that as the industry moves toward EVs, by design they are far more modular so the makers should be able to stretch one platform a lot further.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2022, 11:58 AM   #804
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
It's a balancing act. The factories have huge fixed overheads regardless of how many units they're produce. You cant just keep cutting production and return the same margin per unit. At some point, models simply die, and we saw that even when times were good. You'll see plenty more of that as rates rise and buyers stop buying.
Unlike the past, there’s no local light vehicle production to pile up and none of those overseas plants
rely heavily on Australia for most of their sales. So if too many unsold vehicles start coming to Australia,
they’ll just stop the boats…

In the past, a lot of so called fixed costs were assumed to be just that but today’s lean manufacturing
shows just how many costs can be apportioned to units built, anything above single shift operation
is now considered incremental to costs and can be added and removed as required.

What we seeing at the moment is forced reduction and stoppages of production, not customer rejection
so the situation is one of manufacturers trying to return to normal production levels not building excess.

I get the point, that economic down turns can and do happen but thanks to just in time ordering, most plants
can adjust production of vehicles fairly quickly, it’s not like old Detroit wher they just keep building to inventory.

Last edited by jpd80; 28-04-2022 at 12:09 PM.
Old 28-04-2022, 12:35 PM   #805
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
thanks to just in time ordering, most plants
can adjust production of vehicles fairly quickly
the downside being the opportunity cost when your components dont make it just in time :P
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2022, 01:43 PM   #806
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
the downside being the opportunity cost when your components dont make it just in time :P
Ironically, the chip shortage forced many in the industry to focus on their most profitable products,
Ford for one did very well out of its automotive segment ($10 B EBIT) even with 500k drop in US sales
The savings from not spending on manufacturing those 500k vehicles plus reduced discounting was
a surprise to the bean counters…you would never do that in a normal environment but now
every auto manufacturer has seen how buyers actually react….
2 users like this post:
Old 28-04-2022, 02:39 PM   #807
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
thanks, shame they could not get in a bit more than 80 litres say 100 litres as it will drink a bit I think . Hopefully a long range tank can be slotted in
For the 3.0? It should be better than you think.. 600NM through a 10 speed will have it barely revving.

I couldn't find an exact figure but I believe the F150 gets between 22 - 25MPG which is around 10L/100. some claim 30MPG

so expect better than that
Old 28-04-2022, 02:47 PM   #808
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ironically, the chip shortage forced many in the industry to focus on their most profitable products,
Ford for one did very well out of its automotive segment ($10 B EBIT) even with 500k drop in US sales
The savings from not spending on manufacturing those 500k vehicles plus reduced discounting was
a surprise to the bean counters…you would never do that in a normal environment but now
every auto manufacturer has seen how buyers actually react….
I went into a Cafe on the Ski Slopes years ago and they had about 8 Variations of pastas.
I thought at the time how efficient the place would be if it only had one, all the customers were coming in starving anyway.

we are spoilt for choice
Old 28-04-2022, 02:55 PM   #809
Bossxr8
Peter Car

https://www.drive.com.au/news/electr...teased-by-ceo/

Farley's comments about another EV pick up due in 2025 pretty much give it away.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2022, 02:57 PM   #810
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper Martini View Post
For the 3.0? It should be better than you think.. 600NM through a 10 speed will have it barely revving.

I couldn't find an exact figure but I believe the F150 gets between 22 - 25MPG which is around 10L/100. some claim 30MPG

so expect better than that
How ironic that the 3.0 Powerstroke is so well matched to the Ranger/Everest
that there could be little if any fuel economy penalty over the 2.0 diesel..