Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-01-2015, 07:07 PM   #1
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Qantas world's safest airline

Well done Qantas!

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel...-1227176759282

No surprises to see SQ and CX there as well. A noticeable absence of LCC's of course, but what do you expect when one pays little for a ticket to fly Deathstar on a Scarebus!
This user likes this post:
Old 07-01-2015, 08:53 PM   #2
Spurious

Default Re: Qantas world's safest airline

While QANTAS has an unrivaled reputation in modern times, the airline was not without it's fair share of incidents/fatalities in its early infancy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...atal_accidents
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2015, 10:10 PM   #3
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6 Concorde View Post
Well done Qantas!

No surprises to see SQ and CX there as well. A noticeable absence of LCC's of course, but what do you expect when one pays little for a ticket to fly Deathstar on a Scarebus!
Now that you've done your name dropping to show the rest of us that you really are into Aircraft, perhaps you'd like to share your knowledge re: SQ CX LCC Deathstar and Scarebus.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:16 PM   #4
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well done Qantas!

No surprises to see SQ and CX there as well.!
Good to see Air NZ there as well.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2015, 11:10 PM   #5
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I don't get it. I was only watching a report a few days ago that stated the safest carrier in the world was in fact Cathay Pacific, followed by Quatar and then Singapore Air. They only mentioned the top 3.

I'll try and look it up, unless there is more than 1 'Worlds safest' list that follow different criteria?

Ok, found it. Not 'safest', but 'best':

http://www.worldairlineawards.com/Aw...t_airline.html

1. CATHAY PACIFIC AIRWAYS
2. QATAR AIRWAYS
3. SINGAPORE AIRLINES
4. EMIRATES
5. TURKISH AIRLINES
6. ANA ALL NIPPON AIRWAYS
7. GARUDA INDONESIA
8. ASIANA AIRLINES
9. ETIHAD AIRWAYS
10. LUFTHANSA

Number 5 is a name I wouldn't have expected to see in that list to be honest.

And why isn't QANTAS there?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......

Last edited by Yellow_Festiva; 07-01-2015 at 11:23 PM.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2015, 01:08 AM   #6
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Now that you've done your name dropping to show the rest of us that you really are into Aircraft, perhaps you'd like to share your knowledge re: SQ CX LCC Deathstar and Scarebus.
SQ - Singapore Airlines
CX - Cathay Pacific
LCC - Low Cost Carrier
Death Star - Jetstar
Scarebus - Airbus

I trust this better explain the acronyms.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:14 AM   #7
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
I don't get it. I was only watching a report a few days ago that stated the safest carrier in the world was in fact Cathay Pacific, followed by Quatar and then Singapore Air. They only mentioned the top 3.

I'll try and look it up, unless there is more than 1 'Worlds safest' list that follow different criteria?

Ok, found it. Not 'safest', but 'best':

http://www.worldairlineawards.com/Aw...t_airline.html

1. CATHAY PACIFIC AIRWAYS
2. QATAR AIRWAYS
3. SINGAPORE AIRLINES
4. EMIRATES
5. TURKISH AIRLINES
6. ANA ALL NIPPON AIRWAYS
7. GARUDA INDONESIA
8. ASIANA AIRLINES
9. ETIHAD AIRWAYS
10. LUFTHANSA

Number 5 is a name I wouldn't have expected to see in that list to be honest.

And why isn't QANTAS there?
The awards you state are based on customer feedback based of their experience of the airline they choose to fly. It's obvious customers have no idea about airline safety, which explains why Qantas doesn't make an appearance. I could assume cost is more important than safety for some.

http://www.airlineratings.com/news/4...lines-for-2015

Top of the list again is Qantas which has a fatality free record in the jet era. Making up the remainder of the top ten in alphabetical order are: Air New Zealand, British Airways, Cathay Pacific Airways, , Emirates, Etihad Airways, EVA Air, Finnair, Lufthansa and Singapore Airlines. AirlineRatings.com’s rating system takes into account a range of factors related to audits from aviation’s governing bodies such as the FAA and ICAO as well as government audits and the airline’s fatality record.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:46 PM   #8
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Saw the tailend of a report on the idiot box last night where they said in the last year there were 27 million aircraft movements and 21 crashes.Pretty amazing figures when compared to the worlds expert car drivers
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2015, 04:31 PM   #9
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The bottom of the linked page states that these figures are from a "passenger satisfaction survey" not at all safety related - passengers from the unsafest airlines are unable to fill in surveys .. oops ... too soon

Quote:
The awards you state are based on customer feedback based of their experience of the airline they choose to fly. It's obvious customers have no idea about airline safety, which explains why Qantas doesn't make an appearance. I could assume cost is more important than safety for some.

http://www.airlineratings.com/news/4...lines-for-2015

Top of the list again is Qantas which has a fatality free record in the jet era. Making up the remainder of the top ten in alphabetical order are: Air New Zealand, British Airways, Cathay Pacific Airways, , Emirates, Etihad Airways, EVA Air, Finnair, Lufthansa and Singapore Airlines. AirlineRatings.com’s rating system takes into account a range of factors related to audits from aviation’s governing bodies such as the FAA and ICAO as well as government audits and the airline’s fatality record.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2015, 09:12 PM   #10
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG View Post
The bottom of the linked page states that these figures are from a "passenger satisfaction survey" not at all safety related - passengers from the unsafest airlines are unable to fill in surveys .. oops ... too soon
Well therein lies the problem with the survey as how do you quantify passenger satisfaction? Cheap fares? Good meals?

Safety surveys can be quantified as they're based on statistics.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:34 AM   #11
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Someone puts the latest assessment into perspective, I think I'd tend to agree:

Quote:
While there's no disputing ‪#‎Qantas‬ is a good airline, to claim it's the world's safest is somewhat ludicrous. The site that published the recent "World's Safest Airline" findings is run by Geoffrey Thomas - one of the most clueless journalists covering Australian Aviation (I've got video of him calling an ILS an "Instrumental Lighting System"... and that's just the start). Seriously, what this guy knows about aviation is about the same as what most pilots forget about flying every time they visit the in-flight lav. There is a clear editorial and personal bias - and a incestuous commercial influence - in GT's reporting that can't be ignored.

Terrible, terrible reporting... and, arguably, an abuse of the duty of care he's inherited by virtue of our dimwit TV stations that persist is putting him in front of a camera as an "expert" (laughable, I know) every time an aircraft does a go-around.
We have just created our own system at Flight that determines 'safety ratings' in a color blind manner. It uses daily (social and other) meta data and known facts (everything from OTP to management turnover, and everything in between) to establish trending moods (safety, commercial, and emotional). It uses every accident, incident and known safety infraction to determine a score (independent of customer ratings which are scored differently). On top of this - as many of you are aware - we aggregate tens of thousands of news articles every day that we mine for data to build a 'consumer confidence rating'. It's the only system of its kind and it is highly accurate. Needless to say, Qantas (nor any other Aussie airline) is in the top three. Marty tells me that the public system and API will be available soon.

Stupid reports by clueless people make me mad. Can you tell?

Have a nice day. Jeremy.
Maybe the title of "Worlds luckiest airline" would be more apt for Qantas.

Quote: