Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 26-01-2007, 12:45 PM   #1
saljen
Starter Motor

Default 82 Ford Telstar Overheating sometimes

The other day I was driving for about an hour when I noticed the temp guage was getting up towards hot. When I turned off the engine there was a lot of creaking from under the bonnet. I filled up the radiator and it drove okay for the next few days. Yesterday mt partner drove it to work (an hour each way in about 30 degree weather). It was fine on the way to work, but again overheated on the way back. She said that when she got out of the car water was pouring out of the engine (she didn't pop the bonnet to see where exactly). Today I have tried running the engine to see where the leak is, but I can't find anything. It overheated the first time I did this, so I filled the reservoir bottle (which was empty and hadn't been checked at all) and made sure the radiator cap was on tight. Again, there was no leak, but this time it didn't overheat. Any suggestions? Thanks.

saljen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2007, 06:03 PM   #2
AS_Telstar_Man
Starter Motor

First thing to check is that the thermostat works and the radiator fan still turns on. If its only happening in hot weather in heavy traffic it sounds like thermostat has gone bung (common in old Telstars) and the fan isn't turning on AND there is no coolant flow going through the top hose on the right hand side (if you're facing the car). Turn the car on, let it warm up and if that top right hand side hose on the radiator doesn't get warm it means the thermostat is broken and can't open up to let coolant go from the top of the engine back to the radiator which causes the overheating.

Next your car only sprung a water leak under pressure and while it was hot - it sounds like the water was just coming out of the radiator cap when your wife overheated it but didn't open the bonnet. Either that or the top radiator hose is has a leak but you won't know it cos even if there is a leak there is no coolant going through with the closed thermostat.

Lastly - the water pump could be broken and this is the thing that costs the most time and money to fix.

Not sure if that makes sense to you but its my 2c. I'm not a qualified mechanic but this same thing happened to my 85 telstar once, I got the thermostat, water pump and all hoses replaced. Luckily the radiator didn't have a crack and I ddin't do any damage to the engine block head.
AS_Telstar_Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2007, 06:10 PM   #3
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As above check your thermo fans is working. I had to get mine replaced before.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post