Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #1
FAT245
Lacking Imagination

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Nath deserve's a Technical Contributor award for his willingness to share everything in his vast knowledge of tuning EEC-IV and -V Falcons, not to mention engines! 
Default AU V8 Conversion - Parts List

After spending more days than i would've liked getting my V8 in and running,
I thought i'd save someone else the heartache by putting up a list of all the parts that were changed on the Fairlane to accommodate the V8.

I will break it up in a few sections so we can have a comprehensive list.

BRAKES
Shorten Vacuum Hose for Brake Booster - My 6 Cylinder Line had gone rock hard and needed replacing
IF you are installing a V8 i suggest uprating your brakes with better discs and pads, or even a retrofit of BF Brakes

STEERING
V8 Intermediate Shaft
Power Steering Lines - High and Low Pressure lines route differently
Power Steering Cooler - On a 6CYL there is simply a Loop Pipe, on a V8 there is an actual finned cooler
Grub screw or Replacement PSP Switch - to Block off and stop leaks from the Speed Sensor hole on the Rack
Length of 3/8 Hose - to run return line to the pump (Most Wreckers cut the hose)
Small Steel lines from Rack Body to Tower on Steering Rack (Mine got crushed by transmission on 6CYL Removal)

ENGINE
Water Pump - Easier to Replace while it is out
Engine Mount Brackets
Driver side Transmission Support bracket
Ford Steel Core AU V8 Rocker Cover Gaskets
Breather Line from Rocker Cover to Throttle Body
PCV Valve and Grommet

ELECTRICAL
AU V8 Engine Bay Loom - This runs from ECU to the Engine, Transmission, EVAP Cannister
Engine Harness - Please Be Aware that the Injector Plugs are to suit EV6 Injectors
EVAP Cannister
V8 Alternator Plug - You can either splice in your own connector, or use some half size spade plugs
Solenoid Plug (Unsure of name, Sits under the inner guard infront of passenger firewall - 6 CYL is different to V8
ECU - This will need to be reprogrammed to the car for Smartlock / Shield - Or if you run a QH - It can be disabled in the Programming
Ground Cables will need to be changed - You can pick up Ground straps of different sizing from SuperHeap or any Parts store
Starter Battery Wire - This is longer for a 6CYL, i pulled the excess up and changed the lug at the battery end once i shortened it
2x New 02 (HEGO) Sensors

FUEL SYSTEM
Fuel Pump - V8 Pumps have more flow, I believe these are the same as a VCT but i suggest a Walbro Pump - GSS340 with Installation Kit
Fuel Lines - V8 Lines are longer from the firewall forward
Vacuum Line - This is usually a package with the Fuel Lines
Vac Lines - From Manifold to Regulator

TRANSMISSION
Transmission Lines i believe are shorter on a V8 due to the box sitting further forward
Gear Shifter Linkage - V8 Linkages are Longer from the shifter to the gear plate - Roughly 1.5 - 2" Longer
Transmission Cooler - a Must if you install a Convertor

EXHAUST
V8 Extractors
Exhaust System from V8 Car - PLEASE BE AWARE Sedans are different to LWB - LWB are longer between Cats and Diff

COOLING & HEATING
Aircon Lines - From Accumulator on firewall to Compressor are Different (Lines mounted to guard do not require changing - But inline filter should be
Heater Lines - From Steel Lines on Manifold to Heater Tap
Heater Tap - This will require a Vac Line - The 6CYL One can be shortened by removing a section and installing the right angle connector to the end
Heater Core Lines - From Tap to Heater Core (Can use a BA 6CYL Heater Hose and cut it for two right angle hoses which will work fine
V8 Upper and Lower Radiator Hose - Please be aware that the Hose Clamp will need to be bigger for the water pump than for the radiator on the lower hose (Found this out at 10pm at night!)

FLUIDS
5L (or more if you have a larger pan) Engine Oil (Refer to Manual or engine builder)
15-20L of 95LE Transmission Fluid (For Autos)
2.5L of Green Coolant Concerntrate
Garden Hose
Brake Fluid (Always good to check the levels)

MISC
Cable Ties
Bolts - to mount the Power Steering Lines and Transmission Lines to the Crossmember
Band Aids
Music
Food
Drink
Leash - For the Dog that decides he wants to wedge himself between you and the car while on the creeper
Friend on Speed Dial who knows more than you
another friend on speed dial who never answers, so you can curse at him via voicemail (Kristo!)
Wrecker on Speed Dial
Access to the AFF Service Manuals and Wiring Diagrams
Never ending Bank Account
Hand Cleaner - A Lot of it
CLR - To wash your hair after working on transmission

My 11 Second AU Fairlane
364w | 225cc CNC | ---/---@0.050 | Morrison Motorsport ITB Manifold | MoTeC M150 (Engine Control) | PCS TCM-2800 (Trans Control) | 6800rpm Stall | 4R75W
FAT245 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2013, 02:44 PM   #2
FTW-302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: AU V8 Conversion - Parts List

Thanks for the list nath, after reading that ill just keep letting ford put the V8s in my cars.
3 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2013, 03:55 PM   #3
FAT245
Lacking Imagination

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Nath deserve's a Technical Contributor award for his willingness to share everything in his vast knowledge of tuning EEC-IV and -V Falcons, not to mention engines! 

the list does look alittle daunting, but it is not that bad haha

My 11 Second AU Fairlane
364w | 225cc CNC | ---/---@0.050 | Morrison Motorsport ITB Manifold | MoTeC M150 (Engine Control) | PCS TCM-2800 (Trans Control) | 6800rpm Stall | 4R75W
Old 18-06-2013, 07:19 PM   #4
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

That is one hell of a list and would put most off doing the conversion!!! WAY easier to do a V8 change in an E series compared to an AU ...... I have done my own below that should help anyone who thinks this is too daunting and would rather start with a cheaper E to get things going ......

BRAKES

STEERING

ELECTRICAL

FUEL SYSTEM

TRANSMISSION

EXHAUST

COOLING & HEATING

&

MISC
Cable Ties

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #5
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

Great list mate..
I'm sure it will help out quite a few..

I'm glad my voicemail kept you occupied..!!

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2013, 08:04 PM   #6
Ford Falcon XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great list !! I'm doing my conversion in the next few months and this will be a great help.
I've got a few questions the 6 cyl run a 2 pin alturnator and the 8 runs a 3 pin connector which 2 of the 3 pins do you use on the V8 alturnator ??
Also in what way is the EVAP Cannister different to the 6 cyl i thought you could make the 6 cylinder one work for the 8 ??
Cheers Lorenz
Ford Falcon XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2013, 09:18 PM   #7
sneh

edit: pic is easier

Last edited by sneh; 18-06-2013 at 09:29 PM. Reason: pic
sneh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-06-2013, 09:26 PM   #8
FAT245
Lacking Imagination

If you check out the wiring diagrams,

it looks like the cables are reversed. I will get a Photo of my setup (Just using smaller spade connectors)

My 11 Second AU Fairlane
Old 18-06-2013, 09:32 PM   #9
FAT245
Lacking Imagination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Falcon XR6 View Post
Great list !! I'm doing my conversion in the next few months and this will be a great help.
I've got a few questions the 6 cyl run a 2 pin alturnator and the 8 runs a 3 pin connector which 2 of the 3 pins do you use on the V8 alturnator ??
Also in what way is the EVAP Cannister different to the 6 cyl i thought you could make the 6 cylinder one work for the 8 ??
Cheers Lorenz
The Cannisters themselves look the same, so does the solanoid, but the vac lines are completely different, as the V8 ones have the fuel line closer and connect to a different spot on the engine.

I do have a set of Lines here from a V8 Cannister if you require, but it might just be easier to pickup a EVAP cannister from a wrecker as they literally slide in and out with very little effort required.

My 11 Second AU Fairlane
Old 18-06-2013, 09:34 PM   #10
FAT245
Lacking Imagination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau View Post
That is one hell of a list and would put most off doing the conversion!!! WAY easier to do a V8 change in an E series compared to an AU ...... I have done my own below that should help anyone who thinks this is too daunting and would rather start with a cheaper E to get things going ......
It was daunting, but after being halfway through the conversion, and having the 6 cylinder out and not wanting to put it back in i said 'damn the expense' and got it in.

There are still little fiddly bits todo but nothing too major!

My 11 Second AU Fairlane
Old 19-06-2013, 05:37 PM   #11
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Great list Nath. Now you just need to do a complete How To!

Well done.
Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2013, 05:44 PM   #12
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

I tried to make it a sticky, but it is not playing the game. Can another Mod have a go please? A pretty handy resource.

Cheers
Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 23-08-2013, 03:08 PM   #13
BRADFORD000

I'm in the process at the moment
Old 23-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #14
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRADFORD000 View Post
I'm in the process at the moment
In what car mate?

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2013, 04:50 PM   #15
BRADFORD000

My AU series 1 one tonner
Old 27-08-2013, 07:12 PM   #16
shazaam

This is very good, can we also have a auto to manual conversion list? For example what do I need to convert my auto AU2 XR8 to manual?
shazaam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #17
FAT245
Lacking Imagination

Main Difference I know of is electronics,
The ECU will need to be flashed to a Manual Tune, Or you can use a Quarterhorse and do it yourself.

My 11 Second AU Fairlane
Old 20-01-2014, 08:06 PM   #18
mcfly94
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

anyone got a rough price idea to convert the au 6 to au 8?
mcfly94 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2014, 08:11 PM   #19
FAT245
Lacking Imagination

It all depends on if you can get a Donor car or not.

My 11 Second AU Fairlane
Old 18-03-2014, 02:19 PM   #20
V8falcons
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

guys gday
Ive had a few AUs and fords in general over the years and just picked up a neat AU2 ghia as a weekend toy project thing. ,its got all the gear in/on it(leather,sunroof,tickford kit,low ks etc.....) i wanted except the 4.0ltr VCT engine,and have a V8 AU1 fairmont donor car.....
Amusing Ill use all the AU1 engine/gearbox and hardware pointed out in "the list"

Electrically Can I use the AU 1 v8 harness and ECU ? or is an AU2/3 XR8 ecu a better option for abit more poke stock for stock...before I tune it anyway...

Before it goes in Ill fit a better performing cam,extractors,exhaust,inlet manifold and either flow these stock Au1 heads or look at a better off the shelf head type....?????
Does the car require engineering in NSW for the conversion? or just a blue slip and rerego it...?

Ill post some pics up tommorrow when i pick her up.....thanks guys
V8falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2014, 09:32 AM   #21
lost the plot
Starter Motor

just done the conversion on au2 ute and the drive shaft is shorter can you use a 40 mil spacer on the drive shaft
lost the plot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2014, 09:39 AM   #22
FAT245
Lacking Imagination

@V8Falcons You will need to use the AU1 ECU as the Injectors are different on the S1 motors to S2/3.

Another thing to watch out for is the fusebox harness... Mine was missing the power pin for the passenger side Oxygen Sensor!

@Lost the plot - Not sure on the spacer.. Maybe try a wrecker for another tailshaft?

My 11 Second AU Fairlane
Old 27-09-2014, 09:41 AM   #23
V8falcons
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAT245 View Post
@V8Falcons You will need to use the AU1 ECU as the Injectors are different on the S1 motors to S2/3.

Another thing to watch out for is the fusebox harness... Mine was missing the power pin for the passenger side Oxygen Sensor!

@Lost the plot - Not sure on the spacer.. Maybe try a wrecker for another tailshaft?
\thanks for the info anyway mate,but that car fell through the owner lied about its history and every thing else so walked away, I bought a TL50 so no need to worry about a conversion.
V8falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2014, 03:49 AM   #24
John E
Starter Motor

Hi, First up, great thread! Exactly what I was looking at doing! Just wondering though, how do I go with the legalities for this? Will I need engineering certificates? Or just a bolt in job, and updating engine numbers on licencing papers?
All help will be appreciated
Cheers, John E
John E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2014, 11:24 PM   #25
FAT245
Lacking Imagination

hey John,

Here in sydney, All the car needed was a Blueslip.
They checked I had used all the factory parts, had uprated brakes and steering.

Identity check on the motor and that was all.
If it is done with parts from that Car with a factory V8 Option, there isn't any major hurdles.

Nathan

My 11 Second AU Fairlane
Old 29-02-2016, 11:59 PM   #26
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Nathan, thank you so much for making up this list. It has been my bible while preparing to do my V8 conversion.

I'd like to ask a few things about it please. Sorry if some of the questions seem silly but I am learning everything as I go.

STEERING
Grub screw or Replacement PSP Switch - to Block off and stop leaks from the Speed Sensor hole on the Rack
^ Is this sensor no longer used when converting to a V8, or is there another sensor?

ENGINE
Engine Mount Brackets
Driver side Transmission Support bracket
^ Were the engine mounting brackets and trans support bracket changes technically the only things required when an engine is all fine?

ELECTRICAL
Solenoid Plug (Unsure of name, Sits under the inner guard infront of passenger firewall - 6 CYL is different to V8
^ Did you ever find the name of this?

ECU - This will need to be reprogrammed to the car for Smartlock / Shield - Or if you run a QH - It can be disabled in the Programming
^ Will the car start and be drivable until flashed, just no security?
Ground Cables will need to be changed - You can pick up Ground straps of different sizing from SuperHeap or any Parts store
^ Is this a cable from engine to battery ground? (I forgot to look tonight before asking.)

FUEL SYSTEM
Fuel Lines - V8 Lines are longer from the firewall forward
^ Can they be extended using longer fuel hose instead?
Vacuum Line - This is usually a package with the Fuel Lines
^ Can you please explain a little more about this? Is this to the Evap?
Vac Lines - From Manifold to Regulator
^ Would you please be able to show a photo of this? (I can't be sure which it is.)

TRANSMISSION
Gear Shifter Linkage - V8 Linkages are Longer from the shifter to the gear plate - Roughly 1.5 - 2" Longer
^ How is this accessed? Does it come out the top after the trans is dropped out? What if removing both engine + trans together?

Was there anything else you think would be important? I saw your note about the oxygen sensor pin, is it just literally adding a pin into the fuse box harness to enable it, or more involved? Are the two oxygen sensors part of the V8 engine harness?

I am guessing also:

Cruise and throttle cables different lengths?
V8 dash (for rpm)?
V8 driveshaft

Thank you!

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2022, 10:08 PM   #27
Utu13
Starter Motor

Have just done a I6 to V8 swap..XR8 engine and trans into a 98 fairmont Ghia sedan everthing bolted up no real head scratching moments..i have the ecu and loom from the Xr8 and fuse loom now im no genius but i asume that should all plug up with little modifications..if any members have advice on engine mods im all ears and my advice to anyone is try to keep spare drip trays for trans fluid it goes everywhere and soaks into clothes like a sponge...
Utu13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-03-2022, 10:20 PM   #28
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utu13 View Post
Have just done a I6 to V8 swap..XR8 engine and trans into a 98 fairmont Ghia sedan everthing bolted up no real head scratching moments..i have the ecu and loom from the Xr8 and fuse loom now im no genius but i asume that should all plug up with little modifications..if any members have advice on engine mods im all ears and my advice to anyone is try to keep spare drip trays for trans fluid it goes everywhere and soaks into clothes like a sponge...
Thanks for the feedback Utu13.

My best advice is to do some reading in this very area, or moreso the Workshop builds one level down. Mods can be personal, so it really comes down to what you want to do, what your skill levels are and do you want to do it yourself. There are plenty of threads that have shown varying levels of mods, some done at home and some paid for.

Research is king. Sorry if you where looking for an easy answer.

Cheers
Stu

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

2 users like this post:
Old 27-03-2022, 07:27 AM   #29
Utu13
Starter Motor

Thanks and i seek more just the little tricks or different veiws theres no easy way and aussie advice is never failed on my home builds cheers guys appreciate it
Utu13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2022, 06:35 AM   #30
Nick001
Starter Motor

Hi. Just wandering if you got this finished.
Nick001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post