Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 04-05-2006, 10:31 PM   #1
Kroc

Default Zetec or not to Zetec

Hi guys newby to this area of the forum but have hung around the Territory section a fair bit.

After owning my Ford Terri for almost 2 years its time to get a second car and we are looking into the Fiesta.

Took one for a drive on the weekend and loved the way it drove.

My only real issue is this

I want the 5 door but id also like the Zetec set up.

If i optioned up the LX with the 16" Alloys is there anyway of getting the sports suspension ??

Is it worth it ??
Is there a noticable difference in the drive of either car ??

Cheers

Kroc

Kroc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2006, 11:46 PM   #2
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

New model also has different manual ratios, and sports suspension.

Also, you miss out on Fog Lights. Interior trim is different. And ABS is standard on the Zetec. Also different colour choices

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 12:00 AM   #3
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

I can't imagine there being an option for the sports suspension for the LX. It would not only nearly defeat the purpose of having the Zetec as a 'halo' model but it would also have to be a special order from the factory which would give you at least a 3 month wait, more like 6.

Personally, if I had the money the Zetec would be the way to go but don't dismiss the LX as poor value in comparison.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:04 AM   #4
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

Really depends with what you need. I can live with a 3 door, & I love the way it drives on the windy road sdown here in Tas. The close ratio gearbox is a bit quicker accelerating. Suspension is very good without being too harsh, but it would probably be too expensive to retofit on a 5 door. ABS is optional on the LX, & fog lights shouldn't be too hard.
The LX is still one of the best handling cars in its class & then some.
So what's it going to be? The head or the heart?
Old 05-05-2006, 07:36 AM   #5
joshf2
striped

isnt the ABS optional on the manual LX but standard with the auto LX?
joshf2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 11:37 AM   #6
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Default Zetec or no Zetec zat is ze queztion

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshf2
isnt the ABS optional on the manual LX but standard with the auto LX?

Yeah im pretty sure your right.
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 01:34 PM   #7
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwijohn42
. ABS is optional on the LX,
?
:
Old 06-05-2006, 11:53 AM   #8
Cougs
Starter Motor

I just bought a 2005 Fiesta Zetec Manual, and I LOVE IT!
I thought it was going to redefine gutless, but it is really zippy! (accelerates and handles very well).

I come from a background of japanese 4 cylinder turbos, and settled for a Fiesta cos I couldnt decide on my next car. Now that I have it, im very happy about it!

The current model Zetec has lowered suspension and a different gearbox, which im sure will make it much better than mine!

Good luck with your purchase!
Cougs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2006, 02:36 PM   #9
Kroc

Thanks for all your replies

Im just gonna have to go and take em both for a test drive.

I guess i could get my head around the whole 3 door thing as it appears the Zetec is a lot better value for money.

Cheers Guys
Old 17-05-2006, 01:09 PM   #10
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Stereo Controls

Kroc, no doubt you have done all your research and know the differences between the Zetec and LX models, 16" Alloys, shorter ratio gearbox, firmer and slightly lower suspension, fog lights, colours/trims etc etc, but another thing that the Zetec has but is omitted on the LX is the remote stereo controls just behind the steering wheel on the left hand side, this usually doesn't get much of a mention and I must admit when I got my Zetec I thought it was a bit of "gimmick" that I would pretty much ignore, well after owning the car for nearly a month I can honestly say that I use it constantly, it allows you to change the volume, scan between radio stations, change the CD track either up or down that is playing etc all at the flick of your fingertips, I love it, just thought it may be worth mentioning,.......personally I think if you can do without the 5 door, I would definately go for the Zetec but if you need the 5 door to get kids in and out etc........definately go the LX 5 door because it aint much fun crawling into the back of the Zetec to put the seatbelts on the kids........"I'm telling ya from my own personal experience!!"
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2006, 08:40 PM   #11
Kroc

Thanks Mate

I went to test drive a zetec last week but unfortunatly they didnt have one in stock. Im pretty well conviced we are going to go with the Zetec, Ford in Darwin have located one in the colour we want and will go about sourcing it when we sign on the dotted line. I didnt know about the Stereo controls but after having our Ford Territory for 2 years with steering wheel controls for the stereo id struggle to live without them.

Cheers

Kroc
Old 18-05-2006, 01:45 PM   #12
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroc
Thanks Mate
Ford in Darwin have located one in the colour we want
Kroc
Kroc, what colour you looking at getting?
Old 18-05-2006, 02:33 PM   #13
Kroc

Hoping for the Jeans Blue

Kroc
Old 18-05-2006, 02:47 PM   #14
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile

Quote:
Hoping for the Jeans Blue

Kroc
Should be nice, that colour of course gets the Blue "Moonlight Sapphire" cloth inserts in the seats which will go great with the Jeans Blue, when I got mine I particularly wanted the Diamond White which gets the Red "Moonlight Ruby" seats, unfortunately there was none available anywhere in Qld, Ford could only supply the car in 3 colours, Moondust Silver, Tango or Sea Grey, after much consideration I opted for the Silver, a couple of days before I was due to pick the car up the dealer phoned me and said he had managed to "twist a few arms" and get hold of a Diamond White one which of course I was very pleased about, never did ask him the how or where he got it, just pleased to get it in the colour I wanted.
Old 18-05-2006, 08:04 PM   #15
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

robjh80 - did you get your Metallic Paint refunded back?

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 19-05-2006, 10:16 AM   #16
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
robjh80 - did you get your Metallic Paint refunded back?
Sure did.......as your'e probably aware it's $250 extra for any colour other than the Diamond White which is the only available "Solid" colour seeing as they don't do the Zetec in Red which I couldn't believe!!, someone somewhere in Ford must have made the decision to have no Red available in the Zetec but allow it in the LX?.......must have been a "booooozy" decision made over a long Friday lunch or something, I would have definately got the Red if it were available although I am very happy with the white now that I have it, in the Fiesta brochure the Diamond White looks quite "Creamy" which I was a bit worried about.......didn't want that......yuk, but when I picked the car up and saw the colour for the first time it is in fact quite a bright white which of course I was very pleased about. :
Old 19-05-2006, 01:03 PM   #17
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They are always changing the zetec colors. Looking back I shoulda gone with the flare color but im happen with my red zetec.
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2006, 06:05 PM   #18
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

I quite like my Tango, but Flare looks great.
Old 27-05-2006, 09:10 AM   #19
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Kroc, did ya ever order a new Fez?, or are you still considering other makes?
Old 30-05-2006, 09:32 PM   #20
Kroc

Just Waiting on Jarvis Cars to get back to me with a price and then ill go in and see my local dealer and start talking turkey.

Kroc

If anyone would like to let me know what they paid for a comparison it would be handy.

WQ Zetec with prestige paint ??
Old 01-06-2006, 05:39 PM   #21
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was quoted $20888 without even trying to bargain. Supposedly a special price for sale before the end of the financial year? It didn't seem like anything special to me!
Old 01-06-2006, 07:21 PM   #22
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

I paid $21900 in march with extras. So under 21 is bit of a bargain. One of the first WQ Zetecs around though. :
Old 01-06-2006, 08:44 PM   #23
Kroc

What extras did u get John ??

Kroc
Old 01-06-2006, 08:57 PM   #24
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondeost24
I was quoted $20888 without even trying to bargain. Supposedly a special price for sale before the end of the financial year? It didn't seem like anything special to me!
Mate - get the extra $10k! My mate just sold his 182 Cup in Adelaide for $30,800... and I know of a guy in Sydney that snapped the bargin of a lifetime... got a 182 Cup in silver for $26,000! Guy bought the 182 whilst on the waiting/calling list for the Evo9. His name was called, and he bought it, and hence needed the Clio gone!

But anyway,

Those prices are making the Zetec a real good buy. Great fun in the twisties, and NOTHING up to $28,000 (Polo GTI) can give you as much fun! I paid a good $21,800 for my WP Zetec back in the day. Came with the WQ Zetec rims, tint, alarm and mats.

Old 01-06-2006, 09:44 PM   #25
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

Scuff plates, mats, leather gear knob & they through in the spoiler. Drove a GTI Polo too, pulled like a schoolboy. But $29900 drive away & then insurance, just a bit much.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:59 PM   #26
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^ I think Fiesta ST will come to Australia. The sales of small car is booming and petrol prices arent gonna get any better...it's only a matter of time (in my opinion).
Ford Australia should price it better than Polo GTI, if they want to compete it with the Polo GTI.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2006, 07:47 PM   #27
Kroc

Well we went in today and signed on the dotted line for a Jeans Blue WQ Zetec so the process has begun. We will find out in the next few days how long a delivery time it will be, it will depend on if they can source one from another car yard in Oz or if one has to be shipped from Germany.

Has anyone had the rear spoiler put on one ?? Id be curious to see what it looks like and what price u were charged.

Cheers Kroc
Old 05-06-2006, 07:58 PM   #28
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well we went in today and signed on the dotted line for a Jeans Blue WQ Zetec so the process has begun. We will find out in the next few days how long a delivery time it will be, it will depend on if they can source one from another car yard in Oz or if one has to be shipped from Germany.

Has anyone had the rear spoiler put on one ?? Id be curious to see what it looks like and what price u were charged.

Cheers Kroc
Congrats Kroc, hope ya enjoy your new Fez when you get ya hands on it, as for the spoiler, I think its around the $330 mark, I have seen it on new Fiestas in Ford dealerships here in Brisbane, in my opinion it looked pretty "crude", it just sticks on by means of two adhesive pads to either side of the hatch, its not very big and just seems to "cheapen" the Fez somehow, certainly not worth the $330....just my opinion though, others may disagree?
Old 05-06-2006, 08:37 PM   #29
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

I got one thrown in, there's a pic on another thread somewhere. I think it looks good, blends in with the back hatch nicely. Going to get it refitted next week because it's lifting a bit on one side.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:26 AM   #30
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well we went in today and signed on the dotted line for a Jeans Blue WQ Zetec so the process has begun.
Hey Kroc, how well did you do on the price up there in the top end?