Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 31-08-2005, 01:48 PM   #1
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Default Problems to be sorted sooonnnn.....

Well, i didnt want to hijack the thread about the guy wanting a fiesta, so i will list a few problems i have had.... that need to be sorted. Just wondering if other people have the same issue

1. I have an annoying knocking coming from my side of the car.... happens over speed humps and sometimes the slightest bump

2. A whistle sound coming from the wipers i think at about 110kmh when there is wind, sometimes i even heard it at 80kmh with wind. I could also be the antenna.... never thought of that!

3. Car sometimes fails to start the first time, but this only happens sometimes

4. I changed the globes (as it says in the manual) and my right light is misaligned. On setting (0) it isnt high enough, and yesterday i went to Nowra, and at night doing 100kmh around corners with low beam is not so safe... actually scary. I had to travel with highbeam before approaching corners

5. I cannot fit the bloody spare wheel back to where it goes... when i took off the screw, it was bent... what the?!

6. The headlight switch on the dash sometimes doesnt illuminate, sometimes it does, and sometimes it flashes for about 1 minute before going off. I guess thats just faulty wiring.

7. Bonnet Latch sometimes wont open....

8. Dash squeek sometimes there, and sometimes its not (im sure it wont be there when it goes in for a service)

9. The radio.... 96.9 and 104.1 sometimes crackle, even though it doesnt in my parents car.... and it still says on the Deck that it has clear reception. Odd...

Thats about it for me. To me these are all minor though, but they add up. I still love driving my car though. Performance wise its good for what it is, and handling is great. Correct weighting IMO (just had a drive of my cousins Mini Cooper S... WHOA... talk about effort to go around a roundabout!)

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2005, 02:03 PM   #2
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

knocking, same happens to me

i dont get wiper whistle.

Car sometimes does seem very reluctant to start. I asked ford to check my battery but as usual nothings wrong.. yeah right.

Headlight alignment, same thing here buddy. although you have to realise the left hand side light has to illuminate more towards eye level if your a pedestrian.. if you get what i mean. Pedestrian safety, i find the left beam isnt as wide.

Spare wheel, my best guess is that with all your psycho driving the spare has been shifting alot and gradually bent the metal screw thing that holds it in.

Headlights not opening is all related to the alignment and positioning of headlights believe it or not.
the bonnet gets stuck or obstructed by the headlights if they arnt aligned 100%

Dash squeeks and rattles a little. usualy passenger side near the airbag, ive read on ukfn that it has something to do with the airbag itself. im gona get under there and make sure everything is tightened.

Radio, crackly and fuzzy... mate thats normal. its radio.. radio= terrible quality, although i have noticed out ****y little roof mounted aeral isnt the best in the world :P
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2005, 02:08 PM   #3
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch_lx
knocking, same happens to me

i dont get wiper whistle.

Car sometimes does seem very reluctant to start. I asked ford to check my battery but as usual nothings wrong.. yeah right.

Headlight alignment, same thing here buddy. although you have to realise the left hand side light has to illuminate more towards eye level if your a pedestrian.. if you get what i mean. Pedestrian safety, i find the left beam isnt as wide.

Spare wheel, my best guess is that with all your psycho driving the spare has been shifting alot and gradually bent the metal screw thing that holds it in.

Headlights not opening is all related to the alignment and positioning of headlights believe it or not.
the bonnet gets stuck or obstructed by the headlights if they arnt aligned 100%

Dash squeeks and rattles a little. usualy passenger side near the airbag, ive read on ukfn that it has something to do with the airbag itself. im gona get under there and make sure everything is tightened.

Radio, crackly and fuzzy... mate thats normal. its radio.. radio= terrible quality, although i have noticed out ****y little roof mounted aeral isnt the best in the world :P
Ok, wiper whistle needs to be looked at. Headlights not opening? Huh... im talking about the switch not lighting up on the dash> at night you cant find the switch. And.... as for the light alignment.... my right light at the highest possible i cant see about 30m infront of me! at 100kmh, its scary! It was way better before i put the globes in, so they are going to have to fix that.

As with radio... it was FINEEEEE before, like, it didnt fuzz much, now.... radio cant be turned up cause every minute it gets fuzzy for like a good 10seconds. Not happy!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 31-08-2005, 02:09 PM   #4
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

whoops lol. headlights opening WTF... i meant bonnet not opening is all due to misaligned and positioned headlight.
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
Old 31-08-2005, 02:12 PM   #5
Cypher
Fiesta Zetec

In response to your post:

1. The knock you describe is a normal part of the suspensions operation as far as I am aware. It happens on corner exists over bumps. I dont know exactly what it is but it has been with my car since day 1. I normally get this out of corners over ripples. I almost sounds as if its metal on metal knock. It doesnt seem to affect the car in any way or has not gotten worse. It might be a by product of the design of the front suspension.

2. I dont have this problem or have not noticed it...I dont think Ford will do anything about that as it would be within normal operating parameters.

3. Is this from cold start or warm start. I have not seen this happen with mine.

4. You will need a headlight realign which you will probably have to pay for.

5. Warranty issue - this should be replaced. Mine was ok.

6. Warranty issue. Mine does not do this.

7. This happened once as the little latch thing went behind the grill...yours should be fixed under warranty.

8. The 3 door body does flex a fair bit so the dash and other parts will make noise. I asked Ford about this and apparently it is normal. I dont think the body flex is an issue with the 5 door models.

9. No ideas here...warranty?

Well looks like you have a bit of a list there. This should all be rectified by Ford next time you go in. But in the grand scheme of this, these are as you said minor annoyances and is expected to some degree for a car in this price range. Just be thankful you did not buy a Hyundai...
Old 31-08-2005, 05:32 PM   #6
Danny
GT4.

1. I Don't have an annoying knocking coming from my side of the car....

2. I experienced a tiny tiny whistle for the 1st time yesterday in melbournes Insane 100km/h winds yesterday. But it wasnt enough to worry bout.

3. YES!! I have this prob as well!!! I suspect it could be the fuel pump not priming properly, but i'm not sure, they wont acknowledge it unless they can make the car do it so I never bothered telling them.

4. This one Tek is your problem, you changed the globes and they'll make you pay for the realignment.

5. No probs for me there.

6. Nor here

7. Bonnet Latch sometimes wont open on my car either. its a common fiesta fault and most fiestas do it. Just when you cant open it, push down the front of the bonnet a bit so you can her the latch jiggle then try the pulling the opnener again, it should pop.

Thats it for my car.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2005, 06:26 PM   #7
joshf2
striped

ive changed the globes on mine and the alignment is fine

maybe you havent reattached the whole unit back properly.

in saying that, im pretty sure the white little screw dial thingys on the back are manual adjustments for the alignment of the bulb

besides that, my car has done 280 k's. not near enough to be seeing any of these problems
joshf2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2005, 07:04 PM   #8
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypher
In response to your post:

1. The knock you describe is a normal part of the suspensions operation as far as I am aware. It happens on corner exists over bumps. I dont know exactly what it is but it has been with my car since day 1. I normally get this out of corners over ripples. I almost sounds as if its metal on metal knock. It doesnt seem to affect the car in any way or has not gotten worse. It might be a by product of the design of the front suspension.

2. I dont have this problem or have not noticed it...I dont think Ford will do anything about that as it would be within normal operating parameters.

3. Is this from cold start or warm start. I have not seen this happen with mine.

4. You will need a headlight realign which you will probably have to pay for.

5. Warranty issue - this should be replaced. Mine was ok.

6. Warranty issue. Mine does not do this.

7. This happened once as the little latch thing went behind the grill...yours should be fixed under warranty.

8. The 3 door body does flex a fair bit so the dash and other parts will make noise. I asked Ford about this and apparently it is normal. I dont think the body flex is an issue with the 5 door models.

9. No ideas here...warranty?

Well looks like you have a bit of a list there. This should all be rectified by Ford next time you go in. But in the grand scheme of this, these are as you said minor annoyances and is expected to some degree for a car in this price range. Just be thankful you did not buy a Hyundai...
1. I dont expect my car to be making sounds every time i go over a bump. Sometimes i only JUST feel the bump and it makes the noise.... friends always comment on it cause its loud and annoying.... something i will be taking up with Ford.

2. What do you mean normal operating parameters? We have highways, that are 110kmh... so i expect my car to not make this loud (ITS LOUD... i even have a recording) whistle... its so loud it shadows over the engine noise (Note: engine does about 3400rpm at 110kmh in 5th). I expect this to be sorted, especially if no one else has noticed it!

3. Sometimes both....

4. What if i put the ford globes back in? You cant expect me to pay for an alignment when i changed the globe as instructed in the manual! Both my parents cars do NOT require the WHOLE headlight to come off just to change a globe, including the grill!

8. Dash squeaks at 15000km... nice.... i want to see what happens at 100000km... dash rattles?!

9. Better be warranty.... im not paying for a new radio and/or antenna!

Old 31-08-2005, 08:07 PM   #9
Cypher
Fiesta Zetec

Teki

1. I assumed it was similar to mine, as the wheel hops on accel thru corners. This is due to too much throttle.

2. Well I thought it was a small noise. If it is louder than the engine, then that is not normal should be addressed. No doubt about it. Altho I have seen this problem on a Ferrari 612...so its on super cars too.

3. Dont know any more about this issue.

4. Ford will tell you that you should have taken the car to them to fit the bulbs...its what they do. Just ask them to check the headlights as you have noticed that they dont seem to be focusing as they should be and they should adjust it.

8. My dash does not squeak so much as I can hear the car flex in the doors. Mine also has some noise in the driver side door trim as when it was removed to fit the tint, they didnt put it on properly. And Ford can't seem to fix it properly...lack of trying I think.

9. If the radio is shot, then they need to put a new one in. There is nothing you can do to have caused it to fail.
Old 31-08-2005, 08:48 PM   #10
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Teki

1. I assumed it was similar to mine, as the wheel hops on accel thru corners. This is due to too much throttle.

2. Well I thought it was a small noise. If it is louder than the engine, then that is not normal should be addressed. No doubt about it. Altho I have seen this problem on a Ferrari 612...so its on super cars too.

3. Dont know any more about this issue.

4. Ford will tell you that you should have taken the car to them to fit the bulbs...its what they do. Just ask them to check the headlights as you have noticed that they dont seem to be focusing as they should be and they should adjust it.

8. My dash does not squeak so much as I can hear the car flex in the doors. Mine also has some noise in the driver side door trim as when it was removed to fit the tint, they didnt put it on properly. And Ford can't seem to fix it properly...lack of trying I think.

9. If the radio is shot, then they need to put a new one in. There is nothing you can do to have caused it to fail.
1. Yea... it sometimes bumps whilst going over a small bump (not accelerating)

2. Yep, its loud.... ill tell them

3. Im not going to worry about it. I just straight away stop if its longer then usual and try again, and it starts no problems

4. And be slapped with $60+/hour to change a globe?! Haha, i learnt that when my dads car needed the foglight lamp replaced... Honda told us that the bumper would have to come off (engine cover under the car, so you cant get behind the bumper)... 5 mins at home with a screw driver and the fog light comes out through the front! Saved $90/hour (Rick Damelian)

8. Im only just starting to hear the body flex, like when reversing on an angle in the driveway

9. Radio is shot

Old 31-08-2005, 08:50 PM   #11
b2tf
not here much anymore

Interesting - My Focus has the same starting problem and it is driving me insane. I have yet to go back to the dealer and see what I can find out. Might do it tomorrow.

What parts of the ignition system do Focus/Fiesta share? Im guessing probably most if not all of it.
Old 31-08-2005, 10:06 PM   #12
Cypher
Fiesta Zetec

Yep the body flex is there. Mine probably has a few more kms than your but it is no worse now than when it was new. Started to hear it slightly at about 1,000km mark. Its noticable but nothing wrong with it, its cause the doors are so long and well that big open space is bound to flex.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:12 AM   #13
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im due in for my 3k km service tomorrow (its at 4k now) im gunna enquire about kinda like a hollow shakey noise whenever i close the door (might be normal though), also with the services, do they clean your car as well?
xurbanx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2005, 01:17 AM   #14
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Yep the body flex is there. Mine probably has a few more kms than your but it is no worse now than when it was new. Started to hear it slightly at about 1,000km mark. Its noticable but nothing wrong with it, its cause the doors are so long and well that big open space is bound to flex.
Body flex Id say is perfectly normal. You'll most likeley get it turning up a hill from a flat road. The fiesta chassis is pretty stiff. Imagine making the same manouver in a sloppy old Festiva or hyundai excel.
Old 01-09-2005, 04:45 PM   #15
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

darn they quoted me on the fog light kit + installation turns out to be $624.50 O.X
xurbanx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2005, 06:39 PM   #16
b2tf
not here much anymore

Found out about the starting issues today - for the Focus, TSB 69/03 will fix the problem (is supposed to anyway). Its a reflash.
Old 01-09-2005, 10:08 PM   #17
Cypher
Fiesta Zetec

Probably a similar fix is available for the Fez. I think there has been at least 1 ecu update.
Old 01-09-2005, 11:03 PM   #18
joshf2
striped

tell you what tho

im not particularly happy that theres no decent engines mods avail just yet

no one's developed any cams, nor are there any decent chips either
Old 01-09-2005, 11:19 PM   #19
Cypher
Fiesta Zetec

I think the car is still too new, I dont think too many people would be keen to open the engine at this point to install cams. Dont know if there would be any warranty issues there.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:54 AM   #20
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

try Powerchip....

Old 02-09-2005, 06:49 AM   #21
joshf2
striped

already checked out powerchip

"I've had a look at all the information you supplied - thanks for that - it really helped me decide that the Gold 98 chip is the best chip for you from our range.

I've based my recommendation for the Gold 98 chip on the fuel you run, the specifications of your car, and the type of driving you do."

which is not really a custom map, but something that learns from your driving style
Old 02-09-2005, 02:28 PM   #22
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Default problems to be sorted soon

Do some mods to your car first, then try powerchip again.

Get a full exhaust and intake then email them again, they will show more interest in doing a custom map.

One question ive got for you guys, in regards to the door and dash creaking..

do you guys think a front strut brace would help as it would stiffen the whole front end up a fair bit.

Loads of fun :
Old 02-09-2005, 08:15 PM   #23
Cypher
Fiesta Zetec

Front strut brace stops the suspension towers from flexing.

The flex is a result of the lack of a B pillar and the space between the door and the body shell. Nothing short of a fully chassis brace will fix this.

There are not many cars out there that don't flex. 2 doors traditional flex more than 4 doors due to a lack of B pillar.

Also remember that th chassis is quite stiff in this car so it is bound to creak a lot more than you would expect. The more body rigidity, the more noise it will make. Better this than having a sloppy chassis.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:18 PM   #24
FlaminFiesta

hmm i dont hear anything from my car and i dont drive it friendly at all,,, the only real issues i have had was the window(which i wont go into now) and its all cool other than that @!!!

hmm would be interested to see how much performance you would get from a powerchip! lol
FlaminFiesta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2005, 11:44 PM   #25
b2tf
not here much anymore

I had a look at Powerchip and to be honest, for the money they were charging I couldnt justify it. And they were finding it hard to justify it to me as well.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:28 AM   #26
Cypher
Fiesta Zetec

What are people doing in Europe with these cars? Dont they have bolt on performance parts available yet? I am sure some one has made some type of ECU mod or replacement for the WP.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:03 AM   #27
Danny
GT4.

Why are you guys talking bout Poerchips for the Fiesta as their site STILL says that they dont make one for it!!
Old 03-09-2005, 01:02 PM   #28
joshf2
striped

Quote:
2 doors traditional flex more than 4 doors due to a lack of B pillar.
somehow i dont think thats right at all

people buy 2 doors over 4 doors because of the increase rigidity of not having 2 extra holes in the chassis

classic example is the commodore/monaro... far better chassis in the monaro cause its more rigid due to the 2 less doors
Old 03-09-2005, 05:28 PM   #29
Cypher
Fiesta Zetec

So you think that the B pillar has no bearing on the rigidity of the body?

On the fiesta, the door is long so it takes up a lot of space compared to the lenght of the car. Have a look what would happen when you removed the doors on a 2 door and 4 door Fez. The 2 door would have to flex more as there is a giant hole in its mid section.

What do you think happens to cars when they make them convertable.

The Monaro was a redesigned chassis and is not identical to the commodore body. In any case, the commodore body is not renowned for being overly stiff.

And have a look at the length of the door on the Monaro compared to the length of the body. Its a lot shorter in percentage terms than the Fez for example.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:54 PM   #30
joshf2
striped

nonetheless, having a single giant hole is far more rigid than having two holes

convertible lose the roof, this reduction in rigidity is far more than any car with 2 or 4 doors