Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 15-12-2011, 12:54 PM   #1
razredge
Starter Motor

Default New Fiesta owner - few questions

Hey guys, so about two weeks ago I bought a 3 door 2009 WS Fiesta CL with about 30K on the clock. So far I really like the car, looks stunning and drives very well but I have a few questions.

It's only a 1.4L auto (I can't drive manual, considered buying a manual WS and learning, but thought better of it - since the car is relatively expensive and I live in a very hilly suburb) so it's not exactly fast - though apparently it's about as quick as the old WP/WQ 1.6L Autos?
With my uni student budget I was originally looking at the WP/WQs but decided to pay the 2/3 grand extra and get a WS - which I think was a good choice.

Anyway I managed to find the 5 spoke manufacturer 17" wheels for cheap and got those fitted this week with 205/40 Kumho KU31s (which were also cheap and not a bad tyre apparently).

However, Ford specifies that when the 17" wheels are fitted a steering rack limiter is required (as well as ESP) to comply with ADRs or something.
Now to me it seems a bit unnecessary as the wheels are only 2 cm larger in diameter than the 15"s I upgraded from and I did a few low speed manouevers with steering at max lock and didn't hear any scrubbing.

Has anyone else fitted 17" (or larger) wheels to their Fiesta (without rack limiters) and had any problems with the tyres scrubbing the bodywork?

The other thing I was interested in is the difference in suspension tune between the WS and the WTs? Were the WTs softer to better suit the Asian market?

Also, apparently all WS models from CL to Zetec all shared the same suspension tune but with the WT the Zetec got a sportier setup (lowered & stiffened I presume). However on the current Ford AU website there doesn't seem to be any mention of a different suspension setup for the Zetec?

And should I be using 95 or 98 octane petrol, I don't think they're any benefits to running on 98 since the 1.4 isn't that sophisticated (compared to the 1.6) but have any 1.4 auto owners noticed a difference between the two?

razredge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2011, 01:45 PM   #2
razredge
Starter Motor

Default Re: New Fiesta owner - few questions

Oh and would anyone know how much changing the driver's seat to one of the more supportive Zetec seats would cost?
Old 15-12-2011, 04:12 PM   #3
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

I have a manual WS 2010 with 17 inch wheels with Yokohama A Drives, 215/40s. I got the wheels as an option and too noticed the steering rack limiter requirement: however no one at the dealership from where I bought the car could tell me why or how to get it fitted to my car. Unless you are stupid and grind the steering wheel hard left/right I've had no probs with that.

I run my car on 98, the recommended minimum is 95.

You would looking at well over a thousand for the seat - simply not worth it: ring parts at your local Ford dealer and get ready to have a laugh.

The newer WT Zetec has different suspension (the WS Zetec was cosmetic/bluetooth difference only). As a daily I wouldn't want any stiffer suspension with the 17s on Sydney's roads.

Suggest you also read my thread 'WS Fiesta - Alternative Long Term review.'
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2011, 07:01 PM   #4
razredge
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69
I have a manual WS 2010 with 17 inch wheels with Yokohama A Drives, 215/40s. I got the wheels as an option and too noticed the steering rack limiter requirement: however no one at the dealership from where I bought the car could tell me why or how to get it fitted to my car. Unless you are stupid and grind the steering wheel hard left/right I've had no probs with that.

I run my car on 98, the recommended minimum is 95.

You would looking at well over a thousand for the seat - simply not worth it: ring parts at your local Ford dealer and get ready to have a laugh.

The newer WT Zetec has different suspension (the WS Zetec was cosmetic/bluetooth difference only). As a daily I wouldn't want any stiffer suspension with the 17s on Sydney's roads.

Suggest you also read my thread 'WS Fiesta - Alternative Long Term review.'
Yea, I can't say i've noticed any kind of noise from the wheels with max lock applied at carparks and the like.

I took the car to the dealer for a 30k service and the mechanic said he'd been working there for 9 years and had never even heard of a steering rack limiter and didn't know anything about the requirement, when I got the car back though he had rung Ford and found out about the req and was quoting me $120 for it fitted. But if you haven't noticed any issues with yours (and you're running larger tyres than me 215s vs 205s) then I don't think it'd be an issue. Probably just some sort of overzealous ADR req (like the DSC which is also apparently required for the 17"s)

Agree that the thousand for the seat is not worth it.

Does anyone know if the WT Fiesta (non-Zetec models) have a softer suspension setup than the WS Fez? Is there a noticeable difference between the WS and WT Zetec?
Old 19-12-2011, 09:22 PM   #5
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

Check with your insurance company about wheels & stuff. If it all goes pear shaped, they may use it as an excuse to stiff you.
Old 20-12-2011, 03:43 PM   #6
razredge
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwijohn42
Check with your insurance company about wheels & stuff. If it all goes pear shaped, they may use it as an excuse to stiff you.

It won't matter since the wheels/tyres are one of the manufacturer specified sizes
Old 20-12-2011, 08:25 PM   #7
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

Not getting the steering limiter might matter.
Old 20-12-2011, 11:47 PM   #8
vhcbm
having Fiesta withdrawals

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Ford couldn't fix my BlueTooth issue. This member posted a download link, with instruction, on how to do it myself. One week on, the unit hasn't played up once. Three different dealers told me to virtually 'Live with it. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwijohn42
Not getting the steering limiter might matter.
My Ford dealer doesn't even know of the part.

Past: 2009 Ford Fiesta LX in Vision Blue - Sold
vhcbm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2011, 11:55 PM   #9
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhcbm
I dont understand why you sound surprised

I reckon if your new WT Fiesta came with the steering wheel on the left hand side of the car, the dealer would tell you its a characteristic of the new WT fiesta. It helps fuel economy or somesuch...
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2011, 02:48 AM   #10
trumpy73

I like it when the masses fall for the dealer propaganda about how they have 'factory trained' experts working for them and how you should part with unnecessary hundreds of $$ for the privilege to have one of these 'chosen ones' to touch your car, where in fact you typically get one semi intelligent foreman and 2 dozen cowboys.
trumpy73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2011, 10:37 AM   #11
razredge
Starter Motor

Quote:
Neither did mine, completely unaware - highly unlikely that the insurance company will notice either. (Plus the reqs are for the rack limiter AND DSC to be fitted with the 17"s and I don't think its feasible to retrofit DSC anyway)

With insurance anyway, do I need to tell them that I changed from 15"s to 17"s or because they're a manufacturer specified wheel size it's ok?

Also I was thinking of upgrading the suspension, anyone recommend a kit?
A few people on the US Fiesta forums are talking about rear sway bars, anyone have any experience with that?

Or should I just get coilovers? Basically what I want is reduced roll and better body control without completely destroying ride quality (maybe 10% worse ride). I am quite happy with the current ride on 17"s and stock WS suspension but wouldn't want much worse.

Anyone know if the current WT Zetec's get the same suspension as the Zetec S in the UK?
Old 21-12-2011, 05:20 PM   #12
vhcbm

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Ford couldn't fix my BlueTooth issue. This member posted a download link, with instruction, on how to do it myself. One week on, the unit hasn't played up once. Three different dealers told me to virtually 'Live with it. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by razredge
Or should I just get coilovers? Basically what I want is reduced roll and better body control without completely destroying ride quality (maybe 10% worse ride). I am quite happy with the current ride on 17"s and stock WS suspension but wouldn't want much worse.
If you can afford the coilovers they're probs the go but something like the Eibach lowering springs may do the job fine.

Old 21-12-2011, 05:44 PM   #13
razredge
Starter Motor

Quote:
If you can afford the coilovers they're probs the go but something like the Eibach lowering springs may do the job fine.
Yea, I can afford the coilovers (prob not at the moment though with rego due next month and wanting to buy a rear diffuser, scuff plates and the front sports grille from the WT Zetec with the little chrome vents)

I was talking to the guy from European parts and he recommends the coilovers (in particular the Bilsteins) rather than getting the Eibach springs so I'll probably get those.

And anyone know anything about rear sway bars with the Fez?

However all my plans will probably be put on hold since i've stupidly just realised that i'll have to check if my insurance will cover any mods

And i'm with Allianz and apparently they're very strict compared to other insurers (the only 'mods' i've done so far are swapping the 15s for the factory 17" wheels, does that count as a mod which I will have to declare?
It shouldn't since it's a manufacturer option, right?
Old 21-12-2011, 05:44 PM   #14
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

If you don't want much harsher ride then I wouldn't go coilovers. Plus, the coilovers will definitely affect your insurance.
Old 21-12-2011, 07:17 PM   #15
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd be telling them about the wheels for sure. Allianz are indeed strict. Remember insurance companies will try to find anyway not to pay out.

Maybe get a quote from shannons, sometimes they have awesome prices compared to normal insurance mobs.
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2011, 10:02 AM   #16
razredge
Starter Motor

Ok, maybe i'll just stick with stock suspension then if coilovers are going to give a much harsher ride (I was driving on some poor quality Sydney roads yesterday and the ride on 17"s is already quite busy) and also going to be impossible to insure.

I'll tell Allianz about the wheels too.

Last edited by razredge; 22-12-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old 22-12-2011, 12:28 PM   #17
razredge
Starter Motor

If Allianz are ok with it, I might new springs.

Has anyone had experience with the Eibachs Pro Kit?
http://www.european-parts.net/catalo...roducts_id=902

Will the ride quality be better than the Bilstein coilovers?
Old 22-12-2011, 11:14 PM   #18
vhcbm

Quote:
If Allianz are ok with it, I might new springs.

Has anyone had experience with the Eibachs Pro Kit?
http://www.european-parts.net/catalo...roducts_id=902

Will the ride quality be better than the Bilstein coilovers?

They seem to be quite good. If I was to get lowering springs I would get them.

The Coilovers would be firmer, they are also adjustable.

Old 22-12-2011, 11:46 PM   #19
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not sure about Allianz, but AAMI just calls anything you do to suspension as a "suspension modification" (I have Eibach springs and a Whiteline sway bar) and adds a little bit extra to the insurance premium accordingly. AFAIK they also have "exhaust modification", which means my sports muffler is classified the same as a full extractor set-up...

As for the Eibachs, they ride slightly harder, though it's quite bearable. The extra handling - and of course the looks - make it worthwhile. Then again, I have 16" wheels with 55 profile tyres, so there would be a little "give" in them compared to 17" wheels on a Fiesta.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2011, 02:43 AM   #20
razredge
Starter Motor

Yeah what's bearable on 16s with 55 profile rubber might not be on 17s with 40 profile tyres.

How much difference does the rear sway bar make? On some of the US forums people are recommending a sway bar over springs or coilovers to those who want to reduce roll without significant loss of ride quality.
Old 23-12-2011, 11:09 AM   #21
vhcbm

If you can afford it do them both, then it will have race car handling...almost.

Old 23-12-2011, 12:34 PM   #22
razredge
Starter Motor

I might get the sway bar first, then perhaps the springs.

Will coilovers have a better ride than springs if you don't run a lowered ride height compared to stock? (or higher than the 35 mm drop you get from Eibach springs?)

Who does sway bars in Australia? Whiteline? I can't find anything on their website though.
Old 23-12-2011, 05:16 PM   #23
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

I rang whiteline a few months ago: no market for ws on suspension mods. They might have changed though, ring them and see. Swaybars need to be brought in from o/s
Old 24-12-2011, 02:42 AM   #24
vhcbm

pumaspeed may have what you want.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:58 PM   #25
razredge
Starter Motor

Ok so I got NRMA to insure me, Allianz are pathetic cancelled my insurance as soon as they heard I put on 17"s - even though it's a manufacturer specified wheel+tyre combo!

In contrast NRMA don't seem to care what you do to the car as long as it's road legal and the RTA are happy.

So i'll guess the Eibach springs are a go then and i'm looking around for a sway bar.

Does anyone know a good, reasonable priced mechanic in Sydney who would fit a swaybar and springs? I've got quoted 3-4 hour labour around $300-400 by a guy who fitted a swaybar to a WP Fiesta.

The only other thing i'm concerned about now is that I have a feeling that the cars going to develop a lot of rattles and squeaks if I get all these mods and keep thrashing it around corners.

Does anyone know if these cars can take it? Or are they really not designed to be driven around roundabouts and turns at 50-60 kmph and i'm going to end up with broken suspension or steering or something
Old 12-01-2012, 06:12 PM   #26
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

As I have said before: used to own a 97 Mirage that was taken apart several times for painting and sound, inside and out - there were less squeaks/rattles in this car than my WS Fiesta on 17s: the build quality is concerning: recently drove new Rio and is by far superior, which is disheartening.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:22 PM   #27
razredge
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69
As I have said before: used to own a 97 Mirage that was taken apart several times for painting and sound, inside and out - there were less squeaks/rattles in this car than my WS Fiesta on 17s: the build quality is concerning: recently drove new Rio and is by far superior, which is disheartening.
Hmm, really? that's not good - though I think it's expected if like me you're on 17"s and chuck in into turns with wild abandon.

On an unrelated matter, the car's previous owner lost the spare key - now as you know Ford charge and arm and a leg (quoted $450) for replacements - anyone had any luck with buying spare keys from the UK and getting them coded over here?

And what should i do with my old 15" steel wheels/tyres, put them on gumtree? What's the going rate?

Also anyone know if I can replace the space saver spare with a 17" 205/40 wheel? Or will it not fit? Was thinking of buying a spare as the Ford 17"s are apparently notoriously prone to buckling (at least in the UK)
Old 12-01-2012, 06:40 PM   #28
trumpy73

You mean (below) this stuff? I'm sure your local locksmith would do it. Just check with them first. $450!!! They've got to be F$%g joking. You can probably get the whole thing done for less than $150 on the internet.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-FORD-F...ht_1185wt_1110
trumpy73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2012, 02:57 PM   #29
razredge
Starter Motor

Yup, that's it - does anyone know someone who'd be able to code it? You think the local locksmith will have the neccessary diagnostic tools?
Old 13-01-2012, 05:57 PM   #30
Moorie

Quote:
Yup, that's it - does anyone know someone who'd be able to code it? You think the local locksmith will have the necessary diagnostic tools?
If you cannot find anyone to code it, give Ford a call and see what they charge for that function only - buy the key from the UK, get it cut at your local Mister Minit/Locksmith, then go to Ford.
Moorie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post