Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-04-2005, 01:59 PM   #1
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Default Near misses...

Well, I had two near misses last night. One was a real near miss, had my heart in my mouth.

I was going around a mild bend on the Bruce Highway and saw some cars coming the other way, as you do. I also see a R31 Skyline coming that way too, in my lane. I jumped on my brakes, and he missed me by inches...

I almost rear-ended a Mazda 323 brick car too. An AU Falcon of all things braked too hard, so the did car in front of me, caught me off guard.

Some people don't deserve licences..
Old 13-04-2005, 02:22 PM   #2
hambo_12

I have a hell of a lot of near misses with people slamming on their brakes and me not seeing till the last second...
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2005, 03:06 PM   #3
Twisted
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambo_12
I have a hell of a lot of near misses with people slamming on their brakes and me not seeing till the last second...

Agreed, my AU1's brakes dont cope too well with that kind of thing.

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT
FordForums.com.au
Hats, Stickers & Patches are now available!
Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2005, 03:21 PM   #4
Barry_v
rocknrolla

i had a close call once where a VP calais pulled into a right turn medium strip cutout then suddenly changed his mind and pulled back out into the right lane... he didnt see that i was already there.
Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2005, 03:22 PM   #5
PULLY6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

only ever had to use the ABS with cause once - scary stuff when ppl pull out in front of you...

Last edited by PULLY6; 13-04-2005 at 03:22 PM. Reason: typo
PULLY6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2005, 04:23 PM   #6
myxr6
Banned

I was driving from Albury to wagga up the back road when this moron started to pass a semi around a corner across double lines , so I flashed and honked the old horn , and the idiot keps coming.I had to go on the sid of the road to avoid being hit head on , he didnt give a F*ck I was there.
myxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2005, 04:33 PM   #7
Kryton

ok ive had a couple but the 2 that scared me the most were at the same intersection and were 3 days apart.
1st:sitting at the lights beside the firestation waiting for them to go green so i can cross the 2 lanes of highway on my side of the road. lights go green and i lazily take off in the ol Mazda, halfway into the first lane of the 2 lane highway when a B&S ute with a huge bullbar goes flying past the front of my car nearly making me T-bone him. he ran a red and would have been doing at least 80kmh. that was pretty scary, if i took of normally i would have been dead from the ute going through my side of the car.
2nd: 3 days later, same place, same lights. lights go green so i take off like i usually do this time (not lazily). just crossed into the second lane of the 2 lane highway when i hear this all mighty screeching/bang/thump and some other noises that freaked me out. look in the rear view mirror and there is a B Double sliding through the intersection about an inch from the back of my car. another red light ran. well this REALLY scared the absolute shit out me and i was shakin like id just been in a freezer for 6 hours. thinking about it, i thought if i had have takin off lazily like i did 3 days before i would be dead....again. this ****ed me off so i chased the truck down the highway and when i finally pulled up beside him, HE started abusing me for nearly causing an accident. how pathetic.
well there the 2 main ones, other than dickheads just pulling out in front and cutting you off.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2005, 05:08 PM   #8
NRG 290

I've had an accident that wasn't bad in the end but could have been a lot more serious. I got T-boned by a delivery truck that went through a give way sign, just behind the drivers door on my ute. He spun me around and I was alright but he opened the ute up like a sardine can, bent the diff and pulled the drive shaft out of the gearbox. He had a trolley strapped to his bullbar and that did all the damage. I had the sun in my eyes and never saw him until that bullbar was about 2 foot from me. Scared the shit out of me. The worst thing was that if I had of seen him earlier, I probably would have taken the foot off the pedal and slowed a bit and that trolley would have been smashing into me and not the tray.
The cops fined him but that was it.
NRG 290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2005, 06:14 PM   #9
Ay-You-Steve

Many years ago I was working in Crystal Brook (a small town 30ks from Pt Pirie in the mid north of SA) at a crash repairer. The bloke I got a lift with had an SS Torana hatch, anyway, we were on our way back to Pt Pirie doing about 110ks and this two trailer Semi was coming the other way only about 100 - 200 meters in front of us, when all of a sudden this white ute pulls out from behind the Semi... : well we hit the brakes and the dirt and scrapped door handles, the ute swung back in front of the Semi missing the front of it by a bees willy and just kept going, we composed our selves, changed our jocks an drove off, the other D.Head didn't even stop :togo: how we survived and didn't have a head on still baffels me. :newangel:

P.S. forgot to add, the Torana driver was killed some ten years later driving a Semi that had a head on with another Semi. :

Last edited by Ay-You-Steve; 13-04-2005 at 06:23 PM.
Ay-You-Steve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2005, 11:30 PM   #10
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAU
Agreed, my AU1's brakes dont cope too well with that kind of thing.
I tend to agree also. The situation with my AU1's brakes sometimes gets plain scary.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2005, 12:52 AM   #11
NZ
~~~

I was seconds away from a near head on that was completely my own fault. I was in a line of cars following a ute towing a fairly decent sized covered trailer doing around 80. I seen 3 cars ahead of me pull out the last being an au wagon. i pulled out also. the road was actually 3 lanes, one going my way and 2 coming toward me as it turned into a passing lane. I was halfway along this trailer when the 3 cars ahead of me darted in. the reason why they darted in, 2 more cars were in the same lane. I basically had no time or enough power to get ahead of this trailer and the cars coming toward me had no gap to get back into either. I jumped onto the brakes as hard as I could and reefed the wheel and somehow popped back into behind the trailer. As I got back into the lane the other 2 cars went past. it was so close. there was a van behind me also he must have seen what was happening and braked to give me room. if he didnt anyones guess what would have happened.

Basically I didn't have a clear vision.
didn't have the space
and i didn't have the hp to pull off such a stunt.

completely my fault i admit
NZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2005, 08:01 AM   #12
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
well there the 2 main ones
Holy crap, that is freaky when that stuff happens (lazily vs normal). You must've had a guardian angel nearby!

I've had some close calls which freaked the crap outta me, as they tend to do.

But the latest one was the chick in front of me. We were waiting to turn right over the highway and she started off, when there was a car like RIGHT THERE. I took a sharp breath in, waiting for the impact, and she stopped at the last second. The wrx that she was about to hit swerved slightly cos he could see it just about to happen, but he wouldn't have been able to stop in time if she had.

God, your heart jumps into your throat when this happens... it only took a split second but everything went slo mo, cos I remember wondering if it happened, could I remember enough first aid to help!?! And I could almost picture the smash and was preparing to have them smash into me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2005, 08:11 AM   #13
hambo_12

Yeah, it is freaky how fast it all happens (or nearly happens), but wierd how much goes through your head in that split second!
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2005, 09:52 AM   #14
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Would you believe I had another one last night..... that's 3 in 2 days.
Old 14-04-2005, 09:58 AM   #15
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUII_XLS_Ute
Would you believe I had another one last night..... that's 3 in 2 days.
Well that's your 3 then (bad things come in 3s)

All done! :hihi:

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2005, 10:08 AM   #16
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

My near miss was caused by a distraction on the footpath. She was wearing hotpants and heels, a bit like the Kylie Minogue "spinning around" filmclip. In slow moving traffic I was busy watching her **** rather than watching the road. When I re-focussed back to the road the traffic had stopped, I jumped on the brakes and the ABS saved me from a rather embarrasing accident. It would have been a hit in a non ABS car.

Would have had a hard time explaining that one!!

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2005, 10:12 AM   #17
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindi
Well that's your 3 then (bad things come in 3s)

All done! :hihi:
Yay.

This one, was some guy in a Mazda 626 hatchback who went straight to start with into an intersection and realised that he was meant to go up the sliplane that I was already in. Thank god he stopped cause two things where gonna happen...

1. I wouldn't of had enough time to stop and would have written off my car.
2. He would have gone straight into the side of me.