Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-10-2017, 12:16 AM   #31
Hawkeye84

Default Re: Another reason why we'll miss the Falcon later on.

The FG and FGX XR Falcons slays the current Mustang in ride and handling.
The Ford Aus tuning team know their s**t!
Hawkeye84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2017, 12:57 AM   #32
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

I have owned my XB for 30 years this month and cant see me ever selling it.
I have bought a low km FG XR50 ute this year as a keeper. I am 52yo now and I want a nice Falcon that will hopefully last out my driving days. the XR50 is not getting a lot of use just now (3000km since Feb) but it is one of if not the best car I have driven.
I am also getting a BA RTV V8 ute back on the road to use as my daily driver.
I have only ever owned Falcons and although I guess there will be others in my garage in the future (a Ranger would be nice) I hope that I will always have at least one Falcon to drive and leave for my nieces and nephews to fight over when I`m gone.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-10-2017, 04:18 PM   #33
Seasoned One
Seasoned One

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave351cid View Post
I have owned my XB for 30 years this month and cant see me ever selling it.
I have bought a low km FG XR50 ute this year as a keeper. I am 52yo now and I want a nice Falcon that will hopefully last out my driving days. the XR50 is not getting a lot of use just now (3000km since Feb) but it is one of if not the best car I have driven.
I am also getting a BA RTV V8 ute back on the road to use as my daily driver.
I have only ever owned Falcons and although I guess there will be others in my garage in the future (a Ranger would be nice) I hope that I will always have at least one Falcon to drive and leave for my nieces and nephews to fight over when I`m gone.
got my toys in the shed too, daily drive my g6et and a territory for the missus, sadly (for the money equivalent) I just cant see any other car to replace my fg2 with that delivers the performance in a sedan that we have been spoiled with by the falcon, (yes and commodore if your that way inclined).. look online and see what you can replace that 533nm of torque with and what its going to cost.... i'm sad
1967 xr Falcon ute 289
1966 xr Fairmont 289
Seasoned One is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-10-2017, 04:36 PM   #34
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Best way to avoid missing something is to hang onto it eh,had plenty of old ones and still miss all of them none more so than a very nice XYGS i parted with many moons ago how many times ive cursed my lack of foresight ive long forgotten.BA GTP in the shed has a home here until am to old to drive.
Old 17-10-2017, 06:46 PM   #35
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye84 View Post
The FG and FGX XR Falcons slays the current Mustang in ride and handling.
The Ford Aus tuning team know their s**t!
Gee i hope the sedan is better handling than the ute, cause my ute is terrible, but fun when the rear wants to overtake the front and the brakes are woeful. But i love it.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2017, 10:22 AM   #36
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
So basically you're saying that everyone should be driving a box-van.
Nope. I'm saying that I don't blame people for choosing SUVs over sedans.

Most people don't care about great handling or high power so that why SUVs do so well compared to sedans.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2017, 06:27 PM   #37
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

G'day , Admittedly this feature vid was made seven years ago and doesn't include the second FG and FGX but anyone who can spare time to watch it might be surprised with how many things Ford introduced to us all in the 50 years between the XK and FG . Quite interesting. The AU particularly was rated at the time going by this video as one of the safest cars anywhere .
FG 2 and FGX just added and refined even more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHUR2VqRhaw Cheers Rod.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2017, 07:13 PM   #38
Bobman
Regulator

Having driven many exotic and expensive cars, your Godzillas, Evos, BMW, Merc AMG etc, I am still always happy getting back into one of my 'Falcons' at the end of the day.

It's the overall comfort and ease of drive factor. Some other cars just feel stressful to drive around.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2017, 11:34 AM   #39
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

G'day ..Look at this ol' chestnut ad from nearly six decades ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBISX-E9HRU
Car ad's were sure different.
Seeing how the Falcon and Fairlane all began in the States , lasted about one decade with Falcon at least , not sure of the Fairlane timeline ,
I wonder what it's like for born and bred American car enthusiasts when they see Ford Falcons taken a very long way after the U.S. ones when they visit or move to Australia.

I know on many Falcon YT vids they're frequented with comments from Americans and so many say "Why didn't we get this car here " or similar sentiments.

It's perhaps why Falcon ended up becoming our Ford product as did Territory for so long and why it'll always be a crucial part of our automotive history no matter what happens post 2016. Despite being born in the USA. this adopted Aussie soon became our own after being abandoned by the birth parent. From a shaky start (literally) with collapsing suspensions etc. we adapted it into a uniquely Australian bit of kit.
Cheers Rod.

Last edited by roddy1960; 21-10-2017 at 11:44 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2017, 01:25 PM   #40
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

G'day , And another one. Even scarier it's the year i was born
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irVZJ-YSkrI
Old 21-10-2017, 01:25 PM   #41
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Rod, et al,

The Fairlanes here in the States became Torinos.

The Falcons were abandoned. To some degree or another, the Maverick somewhat filled the gap.

Australia turned the Falcon into a world class vehicle that many Americans would loved to have owned.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2017, 03:37 PM   #42
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarite_guy View Post
Rod, et al,

The Falcons were abandoned. To some degree or another, the Maverick somewhat filled the gap.

Australia turned the Falcon into a world class vehicle that many Americans would loved to have owned.
G'day , Thanks...Didn't realize the Torino came from Fairlane. Some see a resemblance to Torino's in the XA/XB/XC Falcon hardtops too I think .
With the XD there were some similarities with Granada from Europe so maybe in the looks department Ford was heading down the global platform many years ago . I know the V8's transcended country boundaries ie , 289 ci , the mighty 302 ci and 351 ci , also 390 and probably others. Most likely some of the early straight sixes too.

What was the last similar dedicated rear wheel drive , four door if desired American Ford that was something like our Falcon . Would it have been the
Crown Victoria like this 2011 last year of Crown Vic perhaps or something else . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKDmMJxZKKw
What about the Vic compared to an original FG Falcon of the same vintage 2008-2011.

Makes me wonder sometimes if our Falcon FG- FGX could have re-entered the U.S. market at least as a police pursuit vehicle as could just as easily have happened. Cheers Rod.
Old 21-10-2017, 04:18 PM   #43
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Thank you Rod.

I agree with your comparisons. Also, The FG almost replaced the Crown Vic. It would have been a better and more modern car.

Yes the engines have, for the most part been very similar between Ford Australia and Ford America. Though there were some differences. E.g. the 302C 2V cylinder heads. We never had the 302C. Australia took the 240/4.0 to levels beyond anything here. Though we did have the bigger brother 300/4.9 for pickups and industrial applications. It is a petrol motor with a tq curve close to a diesel.

To this day the FE/FT series are my favorite Ford big blocks. The 390 was usually tuned conservatively from the factory here. The 42CJ was the most fun FE even though the 427 was the race motor of the family.

There is some interesting tid bits of commonality in some of the Ford engine families.

The Flathead V8, Small Block Y Block, Windsor and Cleveland all have the same bore centers; 4.380". That is a famous and long lasting bore center.

Likewise the Lincoln Y Block, MEL and 385 series all have 4.940" bore centers.

Really sorry to see a significant chapter in Automotive History come to an end.

Cheers.
Dave
Old 21-10-2017, 07:21 PM   #44
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Rod, et al,

What was the reason behind America dropping falcon?

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2017, 07:56 PM   #45
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Thank you Rod.

I agree with your comparisons. Also, The FG almost replaced the Crown Vic. It would have been a better and more modern car.

Yes the engines have, for the most part been very similar between Ford Australia and Ford America. Though there were some differences. E.g. the 302C 2V cylinder heads. We never had the 302C. Australia took the 240/4.0 to levels beyond anything here. Though we did have the bigger brother 300/4.9 for pickups and industrial applications. It is a petrol motor with a tq curve close to a diesel.

To this day the FE/FT series are my favorite Ford big blocks. The 390 was usually tuned conservatively from the factory here. The 42CJ was the most fun FE even though the 427 was the race motor of the family.

There is some interesting tid bits of commonality in some of the Ford engine families.

The Flathead V8, Small Block Y Block, Windsor and Cleveland all have the same bore centers; 4.380". That is a famous and long lasting bore center.

Likewise the Lincoln Y Block, MEL and 385 series all have 4.940" bore centers.

Really sorry to see a significant chapter in Automotive History come to an end.

Cheers.
Dave
G'day Dave and all . great extra info , especially in regard to the 390 and the six cylinder matters . A good friend has a beaut 1965 Galaxie with the 390 and he loves that engine . He also has the real deal 1974 XB GT with a blueprinted 351 and a 1973 Lincoln Continental with the 460..and an F 350 truck as well. That's the 302 in that.Sweet old motor that never fails him. Never had to touch it other than servicing and it's a work truck too . Doesn't mind a good Ford or two .
Imagine if the Barra Turbo had of been able to meet the U.S. emission rules and had been run in North American export LHD Falcons as highway patrol pursuit cars. Would have been cool.
The Barra T even gets recognised by the Nissan GTR community as a pretty good donk and they know a thing or two about turbo's .
We will miss all this other than the Mustang but so disappointing the Barra is hardly known outside Australia. That's bordering on a tragedy .. Cheers Rod.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2017, 07:58 PM   #46
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
What was the reason behind America dropping falcon?
Ford North America, basically squeezed it out of it's own market. They already had full sized and mid-sized cars. They had the Mustang which was a small but sportier car and in 70 introduced the Maverick which squeezed it more. What started out as a sales success no longer had a market by 1970.

My most memorable Falcon; in the early 80s, we modded a '69 4 Falcon 4 door sedan for a fella who used it as a sleeper street racer. It was a dull looking dark blue car with dark blue steel rims and center factory hub caps. Under the hood was a 377 Cleveland with a solid roller cam, 4bbl heads and a sneaky pete nitrous system. He looked like a nerd with tapped together black rimmed glasses and usually a dirty t shirt.

He made a lot of money with that car from unsuspecting marks. His street racing days came to an end one day when he beat a Hemi Charger. The guy pulled a gun on him. Don said adios and never street raced again.
3 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2017, 08:23 PM   #47
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Dave , just picturing a U.S. version of something like this a few years ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHrCZOKTZf8.

or.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz_NHWpIjHc..

Imagine the second one , supercharged 5 litre GT cop car with the R Spec stuff.

I'd get pulled over just to check out the car.

Last edited by roddy1960; 21-10-2017 at 08:29 PM.
Old 21-10-2017, 08:30 PM   #48
Bobman
Regulator

Have any of you guys seen EricTheCarGuy's 1980 Ford Fairmont restoration?

An American Ford Fairmont, the last of them but was nothing like our XD shaped ones.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2017, 11:02 AM   #49
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
Dave , just picturing a U.S. version of something like this a few years ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHrCZOKTZf8.

or.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz_NHWpIjHc..

Imagine the second one , supercharged 5 litre GT cop car with the R Spec stuff.

I'd get pulled over just to check out the car.
That second one looks like it could be the original Road Warrior material, except it's clean shaven and with manners.
Old 22-10-2017, 11:05 AM   #50
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman View Post
Have any of you guys seen EricTheCarGuy's 1980 Ford Fairmont restoration?

An American Ford Fairmont, the last of them but was nothing like our XD shaped ones.
i just looked it up. That is the first time I saw it. Looks like a nice project.
Old 23-10-2017, 02:11 PM   #51
phreddo
Starter Motor

I stocked up on Falcons and bought one of the last FGX XR6 utes and a XR8 Sprint to hopefully keep. Ute for my run around and the Sprint weekend driving although it does a reasonable trip now and again. Enjoy them both, not a lot in Tauranga New Zealand.
Have owned over 30 Falcons in my time all shapes and sizes but no coupes.
Keep up the good work.
phreddo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post: