Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-10-2017, 09:49 PM   #271
Hawkeye84

Default Re: Even hotter Kia Stinger in the works

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vxc View Post
You don't sell Kia's for a living do you?
I'm just amazed there are Kia fans
Not exactly.
Grew up loving and driving the blue oval, will always love it and always wanted to work for them. But live in Sydney
Hawkeye84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2017, 10:00 PM   #272
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye84 View Post
No reports - but inside knowledge (i dont think Police ever release these kind of reports). Amongst things that already been tested, tried and confirmed by Caradvice - it also laps 2 secs quicker round the police test track.

Yes, the Stinger isnt perfect i agree, im not saying it is.

1. I dont think the triptonic mode is that bad - yes i've driven one.
2. Doesn't sound as good as a V8 - The Bi-Modal exhaust being developed is
ok, but will never sound like a V8.
3. Yes it does have a sound generator, if you look at it in context of its
European competitors, BMW, Mecerdes and Audi who also have these. On
the plus side you can turn it down with custom settings - or im pretty sure
they come out with a tune which turns it completely off.
4. Steering wheel i feel needs to be chunkier - its way too thin
5. The steering being light off centre? To be honest - i couldn't tell. Perhaps
its subjective? I couldnt tell you. But its one report.

But these, to me a pretty minor things. Possibly things that people might not even experience unless they are on a track (triptonic mode being "disobedient" and the light off centre steering). If i had to nit pick and find fault - yeah it'll probably be it - but its a damn god car.

With regards to the Kia conspiracy theorist against Holden and drive? I guess not so much more than Ford vs Drive and Holden and comments made on this very forum. Can you blame Kia fans? Im guessing they are wanting what Ford fans wanted to. A fair unbiased comparo.
Sorry I missed this. But inside information from the Qld police force? I really don't want to be rude so I'll leave that one alone.

If we do want to talk real lap times by actual racing drivers, Motor Trend as we know are generally regarded as the best - and most consistent - out there. They test at a real race track with the same racing driver and a full suite of telemetry.

2017 Stinger lapped 28.9 seconds. Randy Pobst thinks there's another second in it, so perhaps a high 27.

2017 SS lapped 24.7 seconds. They're on different planets. SS also recorded a quicker quarter mile and 0-60mph, plus a quicker figure 8 with significantly higher lateral g. As I suggest, over time, more tests, we'll get a fuller picture.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-10-2017, 11:57 PM   #273
Hawkeye84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Sorry I missed this. But inside information from the Qld police force? I really don't want to be rude so I'll leave that one alone.

If we do want to talk real lap times by actual racing drivers, Motor Trend as we know are generally regarded as the best - and most consistent - out there. They test at a real race track with the same racing driver and a full suite of telemetry.

2017 Stinger lapped 28.9 seconds. Randy Pobst thinks there's another second in it, so perhaps a high 27.

2017 SS lapped 24.7 seconds. They're on different planets. SS also recorded a quicker quarter mile and 0-60mph, plus a quicker figure 8 with significantly higher lateral g. As I suggest, over time, more tests, we'll get a fuller picture.
Inside information on Police Force inside information from Kia...dont particularly care, if you've got something to say, Im sure ill be able to respond without offending you either.

Yes, much more tests will need to be done with both cars at the same time.

Its pretty useless rambling numbers on tests done on different days/ different conditions - no matter how respected they are - its not a true indication of a comparison. If they were both done on the same day - then fair enough.

But from what ive seen so far on same day same condition comparisons. Stingers been the better car.

Last edited by Hawkeye84; 20-10-2017 at 12:12 AM.
Old 20-10-2017, 04:37 AM   #274
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What an xr8/6 and ss whatever can do is now irrelevant. Not being made anymore. Meaning the whatever comes after is the best available in the current market.
The police etc will adapt. As mentioned radio waves are still quicker than anycar
JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2017, 12:42 PM   #275
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
What an xr8/6 and ss whatever can do is now irrelevant. Not being made anymore. Meaning the whatever comes after is the best available in the current market.
The police etc will adapt. As mentioned radio waves are still quicker than anycar
JP
Blasphemy !!!
We all know that everything ( including speed of radio waves ) is still being compared to the XY Phase III HO for benchmarking....
Stating that a KIA is better than a HO deserves public Flogging - in front of the now deserted Ford manufacturing Plant in Broady....

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2017, 03:19 PM   #276
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Agree that Motor Trend is the best apples to apples comparison we may get,
but comparing the 4cyl turbo to the SS - do they put pizza cutters on the 4cyl in the USA like they do here in Oz ?

Lets see what the GT does in a figure 8 with decent tyres before we judge.
I suspect it's going to be a good buy early.

Having said that I'll stick to my falcon for highway nanny state road rule duties. No point burning through $1K of GT spec tyres on substandard highway road boredom.

Quote:

383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2017, 05:43 PM   #277
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383hq View Post
Agree that Motor Trend is the best apples to apples comparison we may get,
but comparing the 4cyl turbo to the SS - do they put pizza cutters on the 4cyl in the USA like they do here in Oz ?

Lets see what the GT does in a figure 8 with decent tyres before we judge.
I suspect it's going to be a good buy early.

Having said that I'll stick to my falcon for highway nanny state road rule duties. No point burning through $1K of GT spec tyres on substandard highway road boredom.
The car tested was the twin turbo V6 GT. I think they mentioned Kia were still tweaking the suspension for the US models, thus their suggestion that there might be another second in it.

Lap times aside, I think about as many people will track their Stingers as Commodore drivers track their Redlines- not many. So besides measuring outright ability, not a whole lot of relevance in the real world. Great for debating on forums though. I really want to get behind the wheel of one of these things, although probably not worth trying until there's some decent stock in the country.
Old 20-10-2017, 06:24 PM   #278
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/kia/s...t-test-review/

28 secs is not a lap per say, it is a figure 8 course good for lateral adhesion comparison not so much "lap times"

If it drives well, with 7 year warranty and limited /no forthcoming competition beyond the Hyundai sister car, prices may only increase in the future

Last edited by 383hq; 20-10-2017 at 06:30 PM.
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2017, 07:47 PM   #279
Dave R

You're reading the wrong review. Their GT review is in the link below, not the one you posted.

"As a result, Randy posted a lap time—1:28.90—that he felt wasn’t representative of what the car could do. With a properly equipped car, Randy believes he could subtract a full second."
Old 22-10-2017, 05:52 PM   #280
Hawkeye84

Quote:
You're reading the wrong review. Their GT review is in the link below, not the one you posted.

"As a result, Randy posted a lap time—1:28.90—that he felt wasn’t representative of what the car could do. With a properly equipped car, Randy believes he could subtract a full second."
You have to remember - Australian suspension set up is totally different to the US market, who is different to the Korean domestic market, who is different to the European market etc.

ECU and drive modes are also adjusted market to market too!

Bigger, thicker sway bars, stiffer dampers, etc etc make them perform very differently market to market, so its hard to make direct comparison.
Old 22-10-2017, 11:11 PM   #281
Dave R

Quote:
You have to remember - Australian suspension set up is totally different to the US market, who is different to the Korean domestic market, who is different to the European market etc.

ECU and drive modes are also adjusted market to market too!

Bigger, thicker sway bars, stiffer dampers, etc etc make them perform very differently market to market, so its hard to make direct comparison.
So too is the US spec of the SS, it's a much softer setup compared to what we get here. In fact the fastest SSs were the earliest ones; GM heavily softened subsequent model years. Turns out the US has even crappier roads in some states than we do. That being said, regional nuances likely aren't going to make up anywhere near 4 seconds a lap. Softening the SS only made a second or so difference in its lap time.
Old 26-10-2017, 11:04 AM   #282
Hawkeye84

Quote:
That being said, regional nuances likely aren't going to make up anywhere near 4 seconds a lap. Softening the SS only made a second or so difference in its lap time.
No, but track and weather conditions do. Were they tested at the same time?
Old 27-10-2017, 03:01 PM   #283
Dave R

Quote:
No, but track and weather conditions do. Were they tested at the same time?
Hi Hawkeye,

Outside of wet conditions, I don't think we're going to find 4 seconds in the weather I'm afraid. As I understand it, Willow Springs is practically in the desert so I doubt they see a whole lot of variation to start with. That being said, MT do apply corrections to their core data based on weather, altitude, etc. Given Kia claims the car will ultimately be a little stiffer in final spec, don't be surprised if MT has another crack at it sooner than we expect.
Old 27-10-2017, 04:10 PM   #284
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Kiiiiiaaaaaaaaaaaaa need to get that gearbox sorted (true manual mode and it's small quirks) if they want the sort of people interested in a real RWD car with grunt to hand over the folding. That and the rumours of a 'faster' version have killed at least my brothers enthusiasm which previously was boiling over. Helluva nice car, but right now at 65K driveaway well.............not quite the bargain. When it settles, (how quickly will it given supply?) it may well be the mid-mid/high 50's driveaway bargain.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2017, 01:33 AM   #285
Hawkeye84

Car and Driver managed a 4.6sec 0-60mph (in the AWD version)
1/4 mile in 13.2 secs

https://www.caranddriver.com/kia/stinger
Old 28-10-2017, 01:41 AM   #286
Hawkeye84

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew View Post
Kiiiiiaaaaaaaaaaaaa need to get that gearbox sorted (true manual mode and it's small quirks) if they want the sort of people interested in a real RWD car with grunt to hand over the folding. That and the rumours of a 'faster' version have killed at least my brothers enthusiasm which previously was boiling over. Helluva nice car, but right now at 65K driveaway well.............not quite the bargain. When it settles, (how quickly will it given supply?) it may well be the mid-mid/high 50's driveaway bargain.
Supply may free up next year. But you got some dealers gouging at $71K drive away at the moment. Its ridiculous.

1/3 of Stinger buyers are existing Kia owners, 1/3 previously had luxury european cars and the last third are Commodore/Falcon owners - just for perspective.

No faster version coming - USA is thinking of a V8 version (same engine found in the Genesis) - but that engine isnt developed for RHD unfortunately. So we will never see it.
Old 28-10-2017, 05:33 PM   #287
Dave R

I think they'd be smart to initially drip feed the market, keep them sought after and 'special', similar to what Ford did with the Mustang launch (whether or not that was intentional, who knows).
Old 17-11-2017, 09:50 AM   #288
Hawkeye84

Mustang vs Stinger 1/4 Mile drag

Mustang: 13.32 secs
Stinger: 12.83 secs

https://www.motoring.com.au/ford-mus...arison-109840/
Old 17-11-2017, 10:57 AM   #289
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

What year are those cars?
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2017, 11:55 AM   #290
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Mustang vs Stinger 1/4 Mile drag

Mustang: 13.32 secs
Stinger: 12.83 secs

https://www.motoring.com.au/ford-mus...arison-109840/
i'll have one of each.
Old 17-11-2017, 01:11 PM   #291
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Awesome Cars, my kids always spot the Mustangs on the road, the Kia will stand out too!
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2017, 05:40 PM   #292
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We won’t see the AWD.

Very nice cars - beautiful to sit in too. I’ve got the FPV and drive a lot of Holden cars through Hertz and the cabin in the KIA is a much better place to be. As all new comers it will only get better.
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2017, 06:06 PM   #293
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarite_guy View Post
What year are those cars?
Lol they're getting this article in before 2018.

After that things will get embarrassing for the Kia.

The new stang is shaping up to be something else.
Current model is a great car but it's not fast.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2017, 07:06 PM   #294
GT2

Manual Mustang Vs Auto Kia.
GT2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2017, 11:57 PM   #295
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I guess that says the Stinger is a bit more serious than a lot of people thought. The important part is not what the Mustang did but a Kia did a high 12
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2017, 06:46 AM   #296
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
Lol they're getting this article in before 2018.

After that things will get embarrassing for the Kia.

The new stang is shaping up to be something else.
Current model is a great car but it's not fast.
I am not sure Kia would be embarrassed, doing a 12.xx time seems pretty decent for what is effectively their first performance sedan.
Old 18-11-2017, 11:16 AM   #297
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
I am not sure Kia would be embarrassed, doing a 12.xx time seems pretty decent for what is effectively their first performance sedan.
Because I said THE Kia. As in the car not the company.

And being beaten by up to a second will be embarrassing.
It's gonna be embarrassing for my car too but that's progress.

Kia themselves have nothing to be embarrassed about. A fine effort. But performance is moving fast atm, they will want to be on their toes and not rest on their laurels.

XC Cobra #181.
Old 18-11-2017, 01:36 PM   #298
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What has impressed me is these new gearboxes. Take away that and the stinger should be performing like an xr6t. Its way beyond that.
And we are seeing what the 10 speed is doing for the mustang.

I'm the first to admit I was a sceptic of these big boxes.
If you come to dinner at my place tonight, I shall be dining on hat!

XC Cobra #181.
Old 20-11-2017, 09:16 AM   #299
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

last tuesday on my trip up to sydney i saw at least 5 car carriers full of stingers, to the un-car-educated people in the car with me they were all "wow what are those"
they do look good in the flesh

i'd still buy an SS commodore over one of these though, i would rather an XR8 but no chance buying one of those for a reasonable price these days
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2017, 10:02 AM   #300
adz137

Figures from the latest Motor Magazine

SSV Redline (Auto)
0 to 100: 5.04 sec
Quartermile: 13.12

Kia Stinger
0 to 100: 4.92 sec
Quartermile: 13.06

In the end they gave the win to the Holden (4.5 stars) vs Kia’s (4 stars). Haven’t read the article yet but they were really happy with Kia’s first attempt at a fast car. The only complaint against the Kia were: steering needs work and doesn’t sound good.
adz137 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post