Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-03-2015, 09:56 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Post Clarkson Suspended by BBC

"Top Gear host Jeremy Clarkson has been suspended by the BBC "following a fracas" with a producer.

The corporation said the 54-year-old presenter had been suspended "pending an investigation".

"No one else has been suspended. Top Gear will not be broadcast this Sunday," it said.

Clarkson was given what he called his "final warning" last May after claims he used a racist word while filming the popular BBC motoring show.

At the time, he said the BBC had told him he would be sacked if he made "one more offensive remark, anywhere, at any time".

The BBC gave no further details on the current incident involving Clarkson, and said it would not be making any further statements at this time.

Clarkson's representatives have yet to reply to requests for a comment.

The presenter himself has remained silent, however last month he tweeted a post saying a "new presenter for Top Gear" was wanted.

"Applicant should be old, badly dressed and pedantic but capable of getting to work on time," he said.
Top Gear

This weekend's episode of Top Gear was set to feature Clarkson - who has fronted the show since 2002 - along with regular co-hosts Richard Hammond and James May at a classic track day.

Former footballer and pundit Gary Lineker was also to appear as the "star in a reasonably priced car".

Former Top Gear presenter Chris Goffey told BBC Radio 5 live while discussions on the programme sometimes became heated when he worked on the show, "it must have been something fairly serious behind the scenes to warrant his immediate suspension.

"I can't think what the hell's gone on, but there you go. When you've got a very strong character who likes things his own way, if somebody stands up to him, there's going to be a row."

Clarkson has courted controversy on several occasions during his time hosting Top Gear.
Jeremy Clarkson and Richard Hammond in the Top Gear Burma special Top Gear was censured by Ofcom for using a "racial" term in its Burma special programme

The show's executive producer, Andy Wilman, described last year as "an annus horribilis" for the programme.

It followed an incident in Argentina where the presenters and crew were forced to flee the country after trouble erupted over a number plate reading H982 FLK - which some suggested referred to the Falklands conflict of 1982.

Last year the show was also censured by Ofcom for breaching broadcasting rules after Clarkson used a derogatory word for Asian people during its Burma special programme.
J
TV critic Toby Earle told the BBC he was not surprised at Clarkson's suspension. "This incident is the one that's really forced management to take action," he said.

"Part of the show's appeal, to many viewers, has been it's sort of edginess and the fact that it's rough around the edges - in some ways takes no prisoners.

"But of course there is a very delicate line to tread with that, and it has crossed that line I feel."

But the TV Times' Mary Evans said she did not think it was the end of the road for the presenter: "He is what he is, like him or loathe him.

"He knows who he is and he knows what he wants to say. Top Gear obviously existed before him, and it wasn't the phenomenon that it is now. So obviously it has something to do with his personal charisma and his fanbase.

"I can't see this will be it for Clarkson, I really can't. But I think he's probably slightly overdue a slap on the wrist," she told the BBC."
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-31824040
Old 11-03-2015, 10:17 AM   #2
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Clarkson Suspended by BBC

This comment:
He is what he is, like him or loathe him.

How many of you have one of these Characters in your workplace?
the company will never sack them as they are critical to the business
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2015, 10:29 AM   #3
Ibanezteve
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I heard it was because he punched a producer on set.
Ibanezteve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2015, 10:37 AM   #4
UKXR8

Sounds like he took a swing at one of his BBC "zampolits".

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-producer.html

2003 AU3 XR8 MANUAL

1998 EL XR6
UKXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2015, 10:48 AM   #5
Craig@AUDI
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ooooops!

Oh well plenty of re runs on Foxtel if he does sadly get the flick, which I doubt.
Craig@AUDI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2015, 10:50 AM   #6
ZedTee
Just kickin' up dust

His humour along with Hammond and May make the show what it is. Without him the show would be stuffed. Just like two and a half men, Charlie Sheen played up flat out, He wasn't the only funny man on there but without him the others don't seem so funny now, the humour changed. The show was really good until they sacked him, I reckon it went downhill fast, Its not even on tele much anymore. I feel Top Gear will go the same way without Clarkson.

2 Time Australian National Circlework Champion 2014 & 2017
First Falcon to win the National Circlework Title! Click here
First Muppet to win the National Circlework Title Twice! Click here

3rd 2015 18th 2016 2nd 2018
1st Bendigo Bute Ute show Circlework 2015, 2016 and 2017
ZedTee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2015, 12:00 PM   #7
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Without him the show is gone, I won't be watching.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2015, 12:29 PM   #8
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

I get the impression that the BBC (much like our ABC) is infested with nancy-girlie-boys types, the self righteous trendy left wingers, who cower behind political correctness.

If I were Clarkson, May and Hammond I'd walk away from the BBC and let the BBC fill the void with re-runs of Eurovision
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2015, 12:36 PM   #9
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
I get the impression that the BBC (much like our ABC) is infested with nancy-girlie-boys types, the self righteous trendy left wingers, who cower behind political correctness.

If I were Clarkson, May and Hammond I'd walk away from the BBC and let the BBC fill the void with re-runs of Eurovision
He hit the assistant producer. Nothing to do with political correctness.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:41 PM   #10
brismike
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm sure the three of them could walk and go to another network. Change the name to something slightly different like "I am God and I drive a car"?

Cheers Mike

Wife's - 2018 Peugeot 3008 Gtline, Pearl White - 6 Speed Auto - Fully Optioned.

My Toy - 2014 Smart Fortwo Passion Crystal White, Black Tridion Cell - 5 Speed Auto with Flappy Paddles - Tint - Twin Exhaust

The only good Commodore is the one now very very quickly disappearing in my rear view mirror.
brismike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2015, 01:10 PM   #11
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To go away from The BBC would be a pay cut.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2015, 01:28 PM   #12
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Who hasn’t though at some point in their career wanted to sock their boss ?, lol......
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2015, 01:30 PM   #13
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by brismike View Post
I'm sure the three of them could walk and go to another network. Change the name to something slightly different like "I am God and I drive a car"?

Cheers Mike
"First Gear" or "Sixth Gear"
This user likes this post:
Old 11-03-2015, 01:47 PM   #14
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

I usually don't care about some of the nonsense that involves Clarkson not being politically correct, but I can see the big issue here. On top of that yes not just a host, he's a producer himself so really should have set a better example.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2015, 02:00 PM   #15
Cymrucaveman

Clarkson already left Top Gear once in 2001 and the show died a quick and horrible death, leaving us with a "Fifth Gear" nasty reminder.

I can see both ITV and SKY bidding large sums to get the program/ all three of the presenters and from alot of accounts the BBC was stifling some of the things Clarkson and Co wanted to do. Only a matter of time he either gets reinstated or the program goes elsewhere.
Cymrucaveman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2015, 02:28 PM   #16
cram_it_frog
wombat

I really do not know how he still does all the stuff he does in cars at his age his body is not as flexible and nimble as a younger person

doing all those burn outs and road trips as a example the one where they drove trucks into brick wall , water bottle and a shed must have hurt

yes he is possibly one of the most annoying on people on TV and they do work good but time to move on with new people and may be a new direction ,

they have had a fantastic run but how much longer can it go

Life is full of experiences some good some bad and with luck they all balance out in the end

What Ford s have I owned
1969 Blue wagon 1974 XB owned 3 of them
Numerious others but I always went back to ford

My first car was a 6 volt VW sedan
cram_it_frog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-03-2015, 02:32 PM   #17
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

The only good other Top Gear show has been the US variant, they're pretty good they do some sort of challenge every episode.
2 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2015, 02:49 PM   #18
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Didn't Clarkson off load his shares in the Top Gear brand last year? Maybe he is planning on retiring already as the writing been on the wall for a few years. The BBC are making life very difficult for the show to film what it wants and there is constant backlash for the little they do get away with. The show has always been controversial and embraced that early on with the "Dear So Called Top Gear" letters they would read out. Maybe he is just looking to go out in the spot light. There is also the Live show tour coming up which will be getting big publicity out of this or has he got something else up his sleeve.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2015, 03:03 PM   #19
paulb351

Other media reports suggest that after a day of filming Clarkson lost it on finding out that there was no catering on offer for him and went postal on a producer...
paulb351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2015, 03:05 PM   #20
paulb351

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx View Post
Didn't Clarkson off load his shares in the Top Gear brand last year? Maybe he is planning on retiring already as the writing been on the wall for a few years. The BBC are making life very difficult for the show to film what it wants and there is constant backlash for the little they do get away with. The show has always been controversial and embraced that early on with the "Dear So Called Top Gear" letters they would read out. Maybe he is just looking to go out in the spot light. There is also the Live show tour coming up which will be getting big publicity out of this or has he got something else up his sleeve.
I heard on the radio on the drive into work this morning the Add for the Top Gear Festival with Clarkson doing the voice over "for the first time all three of us will be there..." about 5 minutes after the news article reporting his suspension. Irony writ large...

I understood that BBC owns the rights to the format and is paid a licensing fees for the non-TV stuff done in addition to the show so unravelling that mess would be a challenge...
paulb351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2015, 03:15 PM   #21
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The other two have their own show's. If they all walk-out together, sure they'd cop a pay cut, but so will the producers. Maybe the show was coming towards an end?

If Clarkson does leave I hope he takes over from 'Louis Theroux' and hosts his show! Ohhh that would make some great entertainment.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2015, 03:29 PM   #22
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to watch the show religiously but I've been over the show for a while

Is it still the ratings success it was 5 years ago? or just a cult market now?

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2015, 03:45 PM   #23
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti View Post
I used to watch the show religiously but I've been over the show for a while

Is it still the ratings success it was 5 years ago? or just a cult market now?
I'm the same and Clarkson is one of the reasons I don't really watch it any more.

I can't believe people defending him or marking excuses for his behaviour. If what is reported is true how can BBC keep him on.
Old 11-03-2015, 03:53 PM   #24
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Im sure people are not putting a TV show before decency are they?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2015, 04:32 PM   #25
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
I'm the same and Clarkson is one of the reasons I don't really watch it any more.

I can't believe people defending him or marking excuses for his behaviour. If what is reported is true how can BBC keep him on.
Spot on
he was funny for a while
now he's arrogant and predictable
nobody is too good to lose
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2015, 04:47 PM   #26
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

I enjoy watching the three of them on the show, and if it were to be the show without one of them then I don't know if I could watch it. It is just pure entertainment, better than some of the rubbish around right now.
In saying that no one is above the law or should carry on like an idiot just because of their celebrity status. If he's done what he has been accused of then he'll have to deal with the consequences.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:12 PM   #27
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

He always comes across as an egotistical bully; this is just confirmation. I wonder what will happen if the assault victim presses charges.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:13 PM   #28
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think the producer will go before he does.
as much as people hate him he is "mr top gear"

have to say the current season is rubbish to the point i'm not fussed it i watch it or not
just like all my other fav "online" car shows seem to be going commercial and crap
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2015, 05:18 PM   #29
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Hmmm http://www.topgear.com/uk/jeremy-cla...umn-2012-07-17

Clarkson on violence:
Quote:
So, there we are. Violence. I loathe it. I'm frightened of it. I wish the human knuckle was made from kapok. But sometimes? Hmmm.

Last edited by aussiblue; 11-03-2015 at 05:24 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2015, 05:18 PM   #30
snowcone

He is what he is and he has made the show.
Most of the world is populated by limp noodled, politically correct, mummies boys.
I have been involved in fisticuffs at work and seen plenty of others too, but you never took it to management. You took it and handled it like a man and at the end of the day you either hated the other guy or had a beer with him, but you got on with work and live no matter what.
Anyone gets a slight shove at work now goes straight to the boss, gets a pass to see a doctor and a shrink, spends 6 months on stress leave and the other guy gets sacked. What a crock these days.
Harden up for Christs sake.
That producer should have done his job right and that fact that he didn't so he got a clip around the ears or what, big wimp that he is.
2002 Ford Explorer

I only drive V8's
snowcone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post