Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Old 26-05-2014, 07:15 AM   #31
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: AFF slow today ?

Disk repair was completed at about 04:00. There is still an issue with mySQLd processes which appear to be what is consuming the CPU resources despite no changes having been made!

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2014, 07:15 AM   #32
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Disk repair was completed at about 04:00. There is still an issue with mySQLd processes which appear to be what is consuming the CPU resources despite no changes having been made!

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 26-05-2014, 09:33 AM   #33
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
There is a rogue apache process running so the only option will be a server restart which I am about to do.

Current Time: Sunday, 25-May-2014 21:13:03 EST
CPU Usage: u31649.9 s141.1 cu74.97 cs0 - 468% CPU load
39.8 requests/sec - 0.6 MB/second - 15.8 kB/request
300 requests currently being processed, 0 idle workers

Cheers
Russ
0 idle workers might explain it. You can try jacking the number of worker processes up but it's a slippery slope if the machine is heavily loaded. No sure how many CPUs the box has but you want to keep the utilisation manageable.

With this type of web application you can pretty much assume that it is database service times that are causing the slow web response times and that is what you have to optimise. Not sure what optimisations you have already put into vbulletin but if the avatars or attachments are stored in the DB move them onto the file system. After that you need to look at SQL optimisation and possibly memcache. Then look at upgrading to the latest version of mysql as they normally include performance optimisations in the newer releases.

After you have looked at all that then have a look at process priorities for mysql. You can jack the process priority of the database processes to give them priority over other processes. This helps performance when running mixed workload (web server and database server) and the run queues are long.

There are other things you can do like setting noatime on the volumes for the database and webserver files. This just stops the OS from updating the last access time on the files. It is redundant for a server like this and slows things down. You need to modify the /etc/fstab file with the noatime option and remount.

As a first step monitor the worker processes and if you often have 0 free then increase it a bit at a time and monitor performance. Also grab a snapshot of the machine using vmstat 5 5 when performance is slow.
Old 26-05-2014, 10:50 AM   #34
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

At first I thought it might be that Russ is still in 1975, going by his location, but then I see all the techo stuff you blokes are talking about. Either way, it's above my head, I'm only a fitter and turner so it is all a bit much for me.
Regardless, thanks to Russ and all that keep this place going, it helps me kill many hours!

Ed
Old 26-05-2014, 07:26 PM   #35
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
0 idle workers might explain it. You can try jacking the number of worker processes up but it's a slippery slope if the machine is heavily loaded. No sure how many CPUs the box has but you want to keep the utilisation manageable.

With this type of web application you can pretty much assume that it is database service times that are causing the slow web response times and that is what you have to optimise. Not sure what optimisations you have already put into vbulletin but if the avatars or attachments are stored in the DB move them onto the file system. After that you need to look at SQL optimisation and possibly memcache. Then look at upgrading to the latest version of mysql as they normally include performance optimisations in the newer releases.

After you have looked at all that then have a look at process priorities for mysql. You can jack the process priority of the database processes to give them priority over other processes. This helps performance when running mixed workload (web server and database server) and the run queues are long.

There are other things you can do like setting noatime on the volumes for the database and webserver files. This just stops the OS from updating the last access time on the files. It is redundant for a server like this and slows things down. You need to modify the /etc/fstab file with the noatime option and remount.

As a first step monitor the worker processes and if you often have 0 free then increase it a bit at a time and monitor performance. Also grab a snapshot of the machine using vmstat 5 5 when performance is slow.
We have 16 cores in total. Avatars and attachments are already stored in the file system and we run APC as an opcode cache although I will check that it's running.

It's been running fine under this (and more) load for some time but I suspect that the last update to mysql replaced the tuned config file with a vanilla one. I am working on that now.

Apache is running out of workers as a result of mysql wait states and while there are no slow queries it is just the volume of queries that are creating short queues and keeping workers idle.

I've got the original conf files so they can go back and we can see what happens then.

There are 16 cores in the box and CPU utilisation has only been a problem this last 36 hours or so which suggests that something has changed and I have to nail down what.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 26-05-2014 at 07:32 PM.
Old 27-05-2014, 12:30 AM   #36
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

Its been telling me page can't be displayed
my_gxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2014, 07:01 AM   #37
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

As of 6am QLD time, the site is screaming fast once again. Been a tad slow on page loads lately.

Thanks for the work Russell, it's much appreciated.

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2014, 07:23 AM   #38
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Hmmmmm approx 10 sec here for page to load as opposed to timing out completely yesterday

Cheers!

Might empty my cache and everything and start again

thanks Russ
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2014, 07:24 AM   #39
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Still double post's :/
Old 27-05-2014, 07:29 AM   #40
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

It is better this morning but I'm not overly convinced that we have it resolved as server loads are still much higher than they should be.

At the moment we are still debating with the ISP whether it is apache killing SQL (as they believe) or SQL killing apache (which I believe) but in the interim we are taking other preventative measures just in case.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 27-05-2014 at 07:36 AM.
3 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2014, 08:57 AM   #41
tweeked
N/A all the way

Dont know if it is related but another vbulletin forum http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65 has also been really slow or timing out for the last few days.

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2014, 09:39 AM   #42
Road Games

Spot on Jon i noticed the time posted and the time actual there was 10mins difference recently ?
Old 27-05-2014, 09:39 AM   #43
Road Games

Spot on Jon i noticed the time posted and the time actual there was 10mins difference recently ?