Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Old 23-05-2013, 01:53 AM   #1
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Swear Filter Avoidance

I did search, but obviously not in the right spot. I think some of us (well me anyway) would benefit from some clarification.
(And this is intended as a question for the Admin Team, not a discussion.)
Which of the following is considered inappropriate.
a) Using a word that I KNOW will be replaced by the filter. Eg “**** off” when I know it will be replaced with “****.”
b) An adaptation of the word (that may or may not be caught by the filter.) eg ****, Fekking, Effing, *****.
c) Abbreviations of common swearing phrases. Eg FFS, FMD.
d) Using special characters to replace part of the word. Eg “F@#%”
e) Replacing all of the word. Eg “%@!& off.”
f) A word such as “horseshit,” which I actually thought would be truncated as “horse****” but apparently isn’t caught by the filter.

Old 23-05-2013, 02:41 AM   #2
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 
Default Re: Swear Filter Avoidance

I'd probably suggest PM'ing a Moderator who can send your enquiry the right way...?
Old 23-05-2013, 08:00 AM   #3
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

The question is of general value so I will answer it.

a) Using a word that I KNOW will be replaced by the filter. Eg “**** off” when I know it will be replaced with “****.”

Is acceptable - the offence is avoiding the filter not using the * symbols.

b) An adaptation of the word (that may or may not be caught by the filter.) eg ****, Fekking, Effing, *****.

Not acceptable - this is avoidance

Marginally acceptable

Pointless really but that will depend on the mod as there are no clear rules around it. If it looks too much like the word then it is likely to get pinged.

Equally pointless - same scenario as above really.

f) A word such as “horseshit,” which I actually thought would be truncated as “horse****” but apparently isn’t caught by the filter.

If the filter didn't get a full and correctly spelt word then that is something we need to remedy so it shouldn't incur a penalty.

I trust this is clear.

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-05-2013, 11:39 AM   #4
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

I would have thought the easy way around this is simply not to swear at all, you should be able to get your point across without using it but if you really feel the need why not just use a suitable smiley That's why they're provided isn't it
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2013, 06:22 PM   #5
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If FFS is marginal and can result in accruing points or a temporary ban, then why is this allowed?

BadMax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #6
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Easily fixed. It's gone.

Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 23-05-2013, 07:07 PM   #7
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wow, that's pretty sad.
Old 23-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #8
MWTB
I'm old and I fell

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
If the filter didn't get a full and correctly spelt word then that is something we need to remedy so it shouldn't incur a penalty.

I trust this is clear.
I got an infringement for typing the letter F followed by three asterisks. Does that count as something that shouldn't incur a penalty or was I out of line? Happy to accept the penalty and I haven't offended again as now I know that it is allegedly against the forum rules (which I didn't know beforehand), but for my own curiosity was I wrong to write that?

82lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, bigger cooler, Plazmaman piping, SS Growler, tune, ZF tune, Crow valve springs so far.

Ozracing coilovers, Pedders sway bars front and rear.

315rwkw
MWTB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2013, 08:12 PM   #9
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWTB View Post
I got an infringement for typing the letter F followed by three asterisks. Does that count as something that shouldn't incur a penalty or was I out of line? Happy to accept the penalty and I haven't offended again as now I know that it is allegedly against the forum rules (which I didn't know beforehand), but for my own curiosity was I wrong to write that?
We hadn't had any guidelines until the question was asked above - and I have added those to the moderation guide.

Previously there was just a broad view and it was up to mods to make their own call.

My view, under the current guidelines, is that the scenario you draw would still incur a penalty as it is clear what the intent was.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 23-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #10
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMax View Post
wow, that's pretty sad.
It probably is - but you chose to call it out and it is quite obviously a conflict with the current interpretation of a breach so there isn't much choice is there?

There's an old saying about never asking a question you don't already know or want to hear the answer to... it should have applied in this instance.

Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 23-05-2013, 09:33 PM   #11
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

I will also add though ...... in most cases its the way the words are used. If it is directed at someone else and in many cases it is, the problem comes down to being disrespectful or argumentative rather than just the words by themselves. WTF or FFS while everyone knows what it is, it will come down to how it is used towards someone else or just used in general chat. This is at the Mods discretion as said above.

I just type the way I would say it and if the computer picks up something that shouldn't be said, then so be it. To circumnavigate the swear filter because you know it cannot be typed is cause for concern.

If anyone needs to swear, there are plenty of other sites to go off till everyones little heart is content. Cannot see the point when it involves the written word on a forum.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2013, 10:10 PM   #12
H.G
Driver Returns On Foot

So that's what SFA stands for.....
H.G is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2013, 10:38 PM   #13
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Russ, you obviously missed the point. It's a sad day when a forum is so heavily censored that it's gone beyond the normal realms of normal TV shows.
I can listen to an ABC radio station and be exposed to more swearing.
Old 23-05-2013, 10:46 PM   #14
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

At the end of the day, this is a FAMILY forum. If you want to swear, as others have said, there are other places on the interwebz where you can let rip to your hearts content.

I, for one, swear like it is going out of fashion but not around people who do not like it out of respect for them.

On this forum and many others I am a member of, I don't see the point in it.

In my opinion, you can get your point of view across in a post without swearing.
Old 24-05-2013, 12:06 AM   #15
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
I did search, but obviously not in the right spot. I think some of us (well me anyway) would benefit from some clarification.
(And this is intended as a question for the Admin Team, not a discussion.)
Which of the following is considered inappropriate.
Quote:
It probably is - but you chose to call it out and it is quite obviously a conflict with the current interpretation of a breach so there isn't much choice is there?

There's an old saying about never asking a question you don't already know or want to hear the answer to... it should have applied in this instance.

Russ
Exactly.

Yes thank you Dazz for bringing this up. Now instead of having a marginal use of this Abreviation, we now have a crackdown. Sometimes, leaving what youve got that flies under the radar is better than sorting out a definition or clarification & having it controlled. Awesome work mate! *Sarcasm*

No, we dont have to swear, but sometimes, in context it is relevant to show frustration & confusion. I mean we even have a smiley that shows WTF. Or we did. I just tried looking for it to demonstrate. He seems to have been banished now.

For instance I am about to notate in my build thread that I just changed the Starter motor in my car 3 hrs ago. 5ks from work the Alternator light came on (35ks from home). That means either the alternator or battery just carked it after I have had the car off the road for over a week waiting for a new starter. Seriously, WTF??

I think in that context it is OK, as a Smiley doesnt really convey the real-life frustration that you read "in your head" when reading a post, but reading WTF does.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2013, 08:56 AM   #16
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Either have rules in black and white for everyone to follow or only have one moderator so rules can't be manipulated by them.

What is the definition of a 'family forum'?
Old 24-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #17
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Oh man, just leave it!

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2013, 10:12 AM   #18
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Quote:
Either have rules in black and white for everyone to follow or only have one moderator so rules can't be manipulated by them.
Nice emotive and negative term to use, "manipulated". The correct terms to use is "interpreted" - different moderators will have different things that they react to but that is also one of the reasons that we have guidelines for them to follow as well as escalation paths.

The one moderator suggestion is ludicrous given the post volumes here.

Quote:
What is the definition of a 'family forum'?
My definition has always been -

A member should be able to sit with their (reading age) son or daughter without fear of content being presented that could be considered offensive to them.

Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 24-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #19
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I try and use the 'wife' test... if its something she would scold me for saying in front of the kids its a no go.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2013, 11:08 AM   #20
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
My definition has always been -

A member should be able to sit with their (reading age) son or daughter without fear of content being presented that could be considered offensive to them.

Russ
That's fair and reasonable.
Funnily enough, I was on hold to one of my suppliers a multinational corporation turning over hundreds of millions a year. Whilst on hold the S bomb was dropped in some form of advert...Made me think of this thread.

So in reality, this forum is like a 'G minus' rating where any perceived offensive language is banned regardless if it's abbreviated or self censored?

General (G)

G – suitable for everyone.
The content is very mild in impact.

The G classification is suitable for everyone. G products may contain classifiable elements such as language and themes that are very mild in impact.

However, some G-classified films or computer games may contain content that is not of interest to children.
Old 25-05-2013, 11:20 AM   #21
XR6T0Y
Half brain dead already

Quote:
Funnily enough, I was on hold to one of my suppliers a multinational corporation turning over hundreds of millions a year. Whilst on hold the S bomb was dropped in some form of advert...Made me think of this thread.
We care about this because? You really need to drop it. They have spoken, just leave it

Running tuned at 191.3rwkw with 475nm Torque
Pacemaker PH4490 + Hiflo Pacemaker cat/catpipe + Xforce 2.5' catback into dual pipes after Diff.
FG Manifold + Herrod airbox + 20% underdrive +Hi flow thermostat + 26mm radiator and Weapon X coils!
Now rolling on staggered Matte black Lesnso D1R's
NOW MANUAL!
Shockwave Blue!
More to come

Now the proud owner of a '97 NL Fairlane

XR6T0Y is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #22
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Cannot see the issue either? I must be missing something very ******* important! Just type ******* **** till your hearts content and if the computer thinks its not appropriate, then it will replace it. Why is it a ******* problem? Blame the ******* computer It really is a non issue .....

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
6 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #23
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

So in reality, this forum is like a 'G minus' rating where any perceived offensive language is banned regardless if it's abbreviated or self censored?

General (G)

G – suitable for everyone.
The content is very mild in impact.

The G classification is suitable for everyone. G products may contain classifiable elements such as language and themes that are very mild in impact.

However, some G-classified films or computer games may contain content that is not of interest to children.
while I agree with the g rating stuff you just posted I have to say that some of the things people post here is well beyond belief sometimes

I have kids almost 1 yr old 5, 8 and an 11 yr olds

there was a pic posted earlier today that my 11 yr old asked me about as she was sitting next to me when I opened the thread now if you cantell me a good way to discribe what the blue dildo on a bike seat pole is please help meout I dont need to have to explain that sort of thing to her when this is meant to bea car forum not filled with those images and language that would be a better fit in a ******* bar

my 2c worth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
Cannot see the issue either? I must be missing something very ******* important! Just type ******* **** till your hearts content and if the computer thinks its not appropriate, then it will replace it. Why is it a ******* problem? Blame the ******* computer It really is a non issue .....
yep agree big time I don't give two ******* hoots about a group of stars on a page but what i do care about is when people try to avoid it and change it around to look like it was well not good for family

sorry for the rant here but thats how i feel

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #24
I reckon
Banned

Quote:
Russ, you obviously missed the point. It's a sad day when a forum is so heavily censored that it's gone beyond the normal realms of normal TV shows.
I can listen to an ABC radio station and be exposed to more swearing.
It's a bit hard isn't it when your on a few forums and you can get away with swearing ....well the ones I'm on you can .

You have to bring out your other personality when you log into this forum lol.
I reckon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2013, 10:03 PM   #25
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by piggsy View Post
It's a bit hard isn't it when your on a few forums and you can get away with swearing ....well the ones I'm on you can .

You have to bring out your other personality when you log into this forum lol.
No you don't!

Why is it so hard to type how ever you want to ******* say and let the computer do the work? Everyone still gets the message without reading absolute rubbish on ever second post like you do on some of the other kiddie forums. It really really isn't that hard?

Say want ever you want and let the computer do the editing. It comes out the same!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 25-05-2013, 10:06 PM   #26
I reckon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau View Post
No you don't!

Why is it so hard to type how ever you want to ******* say and let the computer do the work? Everyone still gets the message without reading absolute rubbish on ever second post like you do on some of the other kiddie forums. It really really isn't that hard?

Say want ever you want and let the computer do the editing. It comes out the same!
I do and I keep getting ******* 3 day bans **** it lol
Old 25-05-2013, 10:37 PM   #27
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

I checked ....... those had nothing to do with swearing.

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 25-05-2013, 11:06 PM   #28
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks Russell.
As I said, this wasn’t mean to be a debate, I just think clarity is a good thing. At the end of the day I think we are all intelligent enough to abide by whatever rules there are. It’s not as if we’re being pinged for spoken words that just slip out.

I think we are all accustomed to moderating our language depending on setting, and given the goal to be a family friendly forum I will take that on board. It’s not hard provided we know the rules.
Old 26-05-2013, 12:59 AM   #29
I reckon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau View Post
I checked ....... those had nothing to do with swearing.
Check under my other name.....
Oh yeah that's right it was a eBay link i put in the wrong section . How lame .
Old 26-05-2013, 10:15 AM   #30
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Lame ?

There is a process we can follow if we feel hard done by from a moderator matey... and if that is still your first world issue then there are other forums that will let you swear /post links and abuse others to your hearts content !!

Your choice whether you log on here or not ... no one is twisting your arm
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post