Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-08-2016, 07:48 PM   #1
menil
fg pursuit

Default Opti coat in Victoria.

Does anyone have any recommendations based on experience for Opti coat in Victoria.
menil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-08-2016, 10:54 PM   #2
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Default Re: Opti coat in Victoria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by menil View Post
Does anyone have any recommendations based on experience for Opti coat in Victoria.
I had my car done with Full Metal Jacket at Final Inspection down in Campbellfield. Not as expensive as OptiCoat, but it does the same thing.

They're a great bunch of guys, very accommodating and they do a top job.

Ratmick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-08-2016, 11:07 PM   #3
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

Justin from Platinum Paint Protection applied mine. Top work and comes to you.
PridenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-08-2016, 11:36 PM   #4
graham_h
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Ultimate Detailer

Give Dan a call. His work is as close to perfect as I've ever seen
graham_h is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2016, 11:39 PM   #5
graham_h
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mustang Video
graham_h is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2016, 12:10 PM   #6
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Would highly recommend Dave from Obsession: a Ford fan, an AFFer who will take care of fellow AFFers, a true professional who won't bullsh!t to you, and a nice gut to boot.

Pics of the work Dave did on my car:

Would be worthwhile checking with Dave on his availability though, as I understand he may be unable to do your work for a little while yet.

Hope that helps.

PS I See you are in Bendigo. Dave is in Melbourne, but he was very flexible and generous in his offer to work around me getting my car to him from Sale.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 04-08-2016, 01:02 PM   #7
Patty

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobimbo View Post
Would highly recommend Dave from Obsession: a Ford fan, an AFFer who will take care of fellow AFFers, a true professional who won't bullsh!t to you, and a nice gut to boot.

Would be worthwhile checking with Dave on his availability though, as I understand he may be unable to do your work for a little while yet.

Hope that helps.

PS I See you are in Bendigo. Dave is in Melbourne, but he was very flexible and generous in his offer to work around me getting my car to him from Sale.
Yeh I think Dave is off right now. He was working from home but has had issues with the council and now he must find a workshop. I messaged him today as I want him to detail my car as well but I don't think he is ready to go yet. I guess we will wait to hear from him.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:30 PM   #8
menil
fg pursuit

I had a quote from Sebastion in Airport West has anyone used him he says he has done quite a few sprints in most of the colors.
menil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2016, 08:56 PM   #9
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cant help you in Vic, but make sure you add it to your insurance policy so they apply it again in case of a bingle.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2016, 10:01 PM   #10
DASTIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
cant help you in Vic, but make sure you add it to your insurance policy so they apply it again in case of a bingle.
Totally agree with this comment. You will be out of pocket if you don't. The reputable businesses should tell you this when collecting the car.
DASTIG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2016, 10:49 PM   #11
tkfdxr
Starter Motor

Another vote for Final Inspection. This was my FG X XR8. My Sprint will be heading there when I pick it up in a couple of weeks.

https://youtu.be/LUIfObY_wU8
tkfdxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2016, 10:59 PM   #12
sly_ba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have had my BF GT done at final inspection. Was not cheap but the work was OK.
sly_ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2016, 12:02 AM   #13
GT014

Quote:
I had a quote from Sebastion in Airport West has anyone used him he says he has done quite a few sprints in most of the colors.
Fantastic bloke and did wonders for removing a dent/crease in my car. He is very passionate about cars and knows what he is doing.

Bon viviant in Williamstown did my car with opticoat+ and is highly regarded as one of the best. You can't go wrong with either
Old 05-08-2016, 08:14 AM   #14
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Whats the cost of having opti coat done, and is it another brand of polish or something different?

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2016, 11:36 AM   #15
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Not Opti Coat but Prestige Detailing & Touchups do an awesome job and they are in Hoppers Crossing

I only know a link to their facebook page and they are Ford Fanatatics - they do deals for CLUB FG

Here is their facebook link https://www.facebook.com/Prestigedet...chups/?fref=ts

They have these sort of prices
$40 wash clay polishes
$65 wash clay polish interiors
$120 single stages
$180 two stages
$260 3 stages

Some one asked "How much to do a 2 stage on a 03 fairlane with 25% glass" and the response was around $300

Check them out

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2016, 12:21 PM   #16
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan View Post
Whats the cost of having opti coat done, and is it another brand of polish or something different?
Hey Spoolman, Dave has discussed this on this forum before, so I'll simply reference that for you:

Quote:
From the manufacturer of Opti Coat - I am an approved dealer/applicator for Opti Coat Pro

Quote:
What is Opti-Coat?

Opti-Coat is a hard wearing, ceramic clear coat for superior resistance to scratching (9H), and surface protection from chemical etching due to environmental impacts.
The Opti-Coat pre-polymer cross links, and forms a continuous protective film on the painted surface it is applied to, similar to a single component isocyanate that forms a clear coat finish.
Opti-Coat has better chemical resistance, scratch and mar resistance, and release properties than any automotive paint coating in use. It provides permanent protection for all modern factory paints.

Opti-Coat has been tested by the Commonwealth Scientific & Industrial Research Organisation for Chemical and Scratch Resistance. Click here to download a copy of the report.
http://opticoat.com.au/XC3166CoatingTesting.pdf

What Makes Opti-Coat So Different?

Opti-Coat is not a paint protection wax, sealant or nano coating that will wash away, or break down over time. Opti-Coat bonds permanently with the factory coating, protecting the surface indefinitely and will not delaminate.
A single layer of Optimum Clear Coating measures up to 2 microns in thickness. When compared to other paint protection products, Opti-Coat is more than 100 times thicker, with tests showing a wax coating measuring less than 0.02 microns.
This allows Opti-Coat to effectively absorb damage that would otherwise affect the factory paint layers. Swirl marks and light scratches are not only decreased by the harder Optimum Ceramic Coating, the factory paint is protected and preserved.

Opti-Coat is completely resistant to acidic environmental substances such as bird lime (bird droppings). Unlike your factory clear coating that can be permanently damaged, Opti-Coat will not etch or dissolve when in contact with these substances, and a clean, glossy clear coating is maintained.

What Are The Benefits Of Applying Opti-Coat?

A Superior Clear Coat Film
Opti-Coat will provide the owner with a superior clear coat film and the most advanced paint protection product in the marketplace, that is resistant to chemical etching, and harder than factory clear coatings to reduce swirls and scratches.

A Permanent Hydrophobic Surface
Opti-Coat will provide the owner with a permanent hydrophobic surface that is easier to clean, and stays cleaner for longer!

Improved Resale Value
By maintaining a quality finish using the Optimum Clear Coating, you'll also maintain a solid resale value when it comes time to upgrade to a new vehicle.
Costs are difficult to define as it really depends on how much surface preparation work is required prior to the application of the protectant. As a rough guide, I had Dave do both the exterior and interior of my XR8 and that set me back around $1400. Whilst that might seem a bit pricey to some, to give you an idea of the effort involved, I left the car with Dave on a Friday and then returned the following Monday to pick it up, with Dave working on it pretty constantly on the Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Hope that helps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3 users like this post:
Old 05-08-2016, 01:12 PM   #17
Patty

I've got a 2012 Ford Territory in Black and I was quoted for Wash, Claybay, 2 stages of paint correction and then opticoat, cost of $1200.

That was outside of my budget but when you considering that is 2-3 days work it sounds fair.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:39 PM   #18
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Can you buy this product called Opti coat and apply it yourself ?.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2016, 01:41 PM   #19
PaulXR50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If I can hijack part of thread - anyone have opinions on a mobile Opti-coat service v a non-mobile service.
PaulXR50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2016, 02:33 PM   #20
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8 View Post
Can you buy this product called Opti coat and apply it yourself ?.
Yes, but you wont get a warranty with it.

Prep is vitally important, all blemishes and swirls have to be removed or Opti-Coat will seal them in.

I had my (non Ford) done two years ago, and being a lazy sod I've not polished it since but water still beads on the bodywork after rain.

Mine cost $700 I think....bodywork only, not including the wheels.
Old 09-08-2016, 01:46 AM   #21
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulXR50 View Post
If I can hijack part of thread - anyone have opinions on a mobile Opti-coat service v a non-mobile service.
I don't think it matters from a finished product pov provided it's being done in a shed/garage.

I had my Calais done in my shed and I can't imagine how it could have turned out better.

For those who haven't had it done or don't know much about it, the key is in the prep.

The Opticoat guy was here from 7am to 4pm and worked all day (on a new car).

Cost me $890 which included wheels and windows. It sounds a lot (and is) but if I keep the car 5 years it works out at around $3.50 per week.

I reckon that's good value.

In fact I'm so impressed we've booked my wife's new Kuga in for the same treatment.

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2016, 10:57 AM   #22
adrianb

I got mine done by Dan from Ultimate Detailer. He did it at my house but is now working out of a premises shared with a window tinting guy in Ferntree Gully.

He did a great job - my FGX XR8 was brand new when he did it and the look of it before and after was amazing. All the paint correction made a massive difference and that was before the Opticoat went on.

Most washes I hit it with the gurney then some foam and then rinse off and dry with a nice waffle cloth then detail with some Meguiars Quik Detailer and it comes with a mirror finish. Twice ever I've done a full 2-bucket wash when it's been dirtier than usual.

Definitely recommend a quality coating of some sort!
Old 10-08-2016, 11:20 AM   #23
saturnine_07

I've got a Smoke XR6 Sprint on the way and am considering getting a coating.

I've had success with other Gyeon products (through carcareproducts.com.au) and am considering a Gyeon coating, this one in particular:
http://www.gyeonquartz.com.au/produc...e/q2-mohs-plus

However lots of people in the Ford community seem to advocate for Opticoat and the results look great in photos, so I'm conflicted as to which way to go.

Can anyone offer advice on Opticoat Vs Gyeon Q2Mohs Plus?
saturnine_07 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2017, 07:29 PM   #24
Mowdit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just going through a few threads for Opti coat.

Any recommendations near South Sydney or Geelong ?

Bought a new Ranger, and well, why not

Cheers in advance
Old 10-07-2017, 08:00 PM   #25
Mowdit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Any recommendation's

Would prefer in Sydney area, but am willing to travel

Note: seems that Carry Boy don't do canopy's in NSW, so Geelong or the Gold Coast are options also
Old 11-07-2017, 11:03 AM   #26
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Have you tried going on to the Opti-coat website (https://opticoat.com.au/dealers), looking up the authorised dealers in your area of interest and then doing a google search on those companies?

I know those reviews can be a little hot and miss, but without any direct feedback from members, it is better than a complete stab in the dark.

Hope that helps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 11-07-2017, 01:19 PM   #27
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not trying to rain on the Opti parade because I know people get very defensive when they layout $1000+ for a procedure and I'm all for paint correction and protection but do you want to be able to wax or polish the car on occasion? 99% of waxes only stick to Opticoat until the next wash so once the coat is on that's all you can do.

Opticoat is best use if for people who aren't able to maintain their car regularly and for those whose cars are never undercover. It's great if you're only able to wash your car once a month after regular use.

However for other a simple polish, sealant and wax over the top is more than enough for weekend and summer only type cars (those who like their paint to always pop) and also for those who are able to maintain theirs weekly. Much cheaper too. For the handy ones, it's easy to buy a DA Polisher kit, polish, sealant, wax and pads for under $600 these days and the consumables will last you multiple applications or cars.
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2017, 01:57 PM   #28
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG50T View Post
Not trying to rain on the Opti parade because I know people get very defensive when they layout $1000+ for a procedure and I'm all for paint correction and protection but do you want to be able to wax or polish the car on occasion? 99% of waxes only stick to Opticoat until the next wash so once the coat is on that's all you can do.

Opticoat is best use if for people who aren't able to maintain their car regularly and for those whose cars are never undercover. It's great if you're only able to wash your car once a month after regular use.

However for other a simple polish, sealant and wax over the top is more than enough for weekend and summer only type cars (those who like their paint to always pop) and also for those who are able to maintain theirs weekly. Much cheaper too. For the handy ones, it's easy to buy a DA Polisher kit, polish, sealant, wax and pads for under $600 these days and the consumables will last you multiple applications or cars.
Horses for courses.

I have one car with opticoat and the other without it.
Eventually I know I'll need to get the non opticoat car resprayed as the clear coat gets whittled away by the yearly polish/swirl removal.

The opticoat car is very easy to wash and still looks amazing 3 years later. I dont have too many problems with it at all, when she's clean the car still pops just fine. It'll be interesting to see how she goes into the future, so far so good.
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual
SensationFG8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2017, 04:10 PM   #29
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensationFG8 View Post
Horses for courses.

I have one car with opticoat and the other without it.
Eventually I know I'll need to get the non opticoat car resprayed as the clear coat gets whittled away by the yearly polish/swirl removal.

The opticoat car is very easy to wash and still looks amazing 3 years later. I dont have too many problems with it at all, when she's clean the car still pops just fine. It'll be interesting to see how she goes into the future, so far so good.
That's the thing I guess, you have to keep re-sealing but I enjoy the experimentation of it all I guess. Not saying Opticoat isn't a smart choice, it definitely is.
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2017, 12:14 AM   #30
fte50
T3FTE -099. OnTemp Loan

Didn't that 'Nu-Finish' dribble and promise the same spill ?

Warning - This users posts are classified (G).

G (General) – Contains material intended for general viewing. The content is very mild in impact.
IT IS STRONGLY ADVISED SENSITIVE ADULTS VIEW IN THE COMPANY OF CHILDREN
fte50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post