Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-07-2017, 09:44 PM   #1
GT2

Default Log Books

I don't know if other manufacturers other than BMW & Audi that no longer provide log books with new vehicles. You get an owners manual but no log book. The service history is electronically stored somewhere. If you want proof of service at time of selling it will be difficult. The only way that I can the no of would be to keep all your service receipts.
The owners manual also is not very elaborate, it only contains the basics functions such as seats, wipers, using the tyre goo, etc. the more difficult stuff such as audio and Nav use is all brought up on the screen.
GT2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2017, 03:13 PM   #2
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Re: Log Books

I suppose when it comes to resale time your dealer will probably download the service history straight from your car.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2017, 10:46 PM   #3
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

It's easy enough to make your own log book and ask the dealer/mechanic to stamp it, in addition to your receipts.

Not quite a new book but..... my car has done so many kms that it ran out of service entry spots in the log book. I just made up my own blank entry pages on the computer, printed them out and stuck them in at the back to 'continue' the book.
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-07-2017, 07:18 PM   #4
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If companies want electronic log books, I guess they have no issue looking up service history when a car is for sale and potential buyers are constantly ringing them trying to find out the service history.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2017, 09:10 PM   #5
stock1991
Limited supply

log books need to be mandatory, say if there is no electricity?
stock1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2017, 11:30 PM   #6
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT2 View Post
I don't know if other manufacturers other than BMW & Audi that no longer provide log books with new vehicles. You get an owners manual but no log book. The service history is electronically stored somewhere. If you want proof of service at time of selling it will be difficult. The only way that I can the no of would be to keep all your service receipts.
The owners manual also is not very elaborate, it only contains the basics functions such as seats, wipers, using the tyre goo, etc. the more difficult stuff such as audio and Nav use is all brought up on the screen.
When I bought my new FGX last year Ford supplied every thing an owner could need, more than 400 pages of instructions. A 214 page owners manual, a 15 page quick guide to SYNC 2, an 86 page SYNC 2 owners manual, and an 88 page customer assistance, warranty, service guide and log book. Unfortunately most people will never read them and never discover many of the features that they paid for.

I have seen quite substantial manuals that have come with Kia's and Subaru's, but they were not as well written or as easy to understand as the Ford handbook.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:12 AM   #7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olbucko View Post
When I bought my new FGX last year Ford supplied every thing an owner could need, more than 400 pages of instructions. A 214 page owners manual, a 15 page quick guide to SYNC 2, an 86 page SYNC 2 owners manual, and an 88 page customer assistance, warranty, service guide and log book.
Did you know all that off the top of your head or did you do a quick page count before posting??
5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-07-2017, 10:47 AM   #8
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
When I bought my new FGX last year Ford supplied every thing an owner could need, more than 400 pages of instructions. A 214 page owners manual, a 15 page quick guide to SYNC 2, an 86 page SYNC 2 owners manual, and an 88 page customer assistance, warranty, service guide and log book. Unfortunately most people will never read them and never discover many of the features that they paid for.

I have seen quite substantial manuals that have come with Kia's and Subaru's, but they were not as well written or as easy to understand as the Ford handbook.
Yep, Subaru manuals are awful, my wife has a WRX STi and the manual is like an encyclopedia that has been poorly translated from Japanese, at the same time says a lot without ever telling you much. I guess we all took the local car industry for granted didn't we, always liked the Falcon manuals - easy to read, good visuals, good index.
MY18 Black WRX STi Spec-R
Previous:
'16 White FGX XR8
'09 Black FG FPV GT 5th Anniversary
'04 Blueprint BA XR8
'97 Mocha Foam EL Fairmont
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2017, 09:31 PM   #9
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.8 View Post
Did you know all that off the top of your head or did you do a quick page count before posting??
I was familiar with all the books as I had spent some hours reading them over the last year, however I did check the No. of pages before posting.

If I am going to spend $45,000 on a car I want to know about every feature and control the car has and how to operate them. In the Falcon for example, just to start with, there are at least a dozen different locking and lighting settings you can change to suit yourself.

It's not like 40 years ago when you could work it all out in about 30 seconds without any help from the book.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:51 AM   #10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I was familiar with all the books as I had spent some hours reading them over the last year, however I did check the No. of pages before posting.

If I am going to spend $45,000 on a car I want to know about every feature and control the car has and how to operate them. In the Falcon for example, just to start with, there are at least a dozen different locking and lighting settings you can change to suit yourself.

It's not like 40 years ago when you could work it all out in about 30 seconds without any help from the book.
I'm hearing you. There wouldn't be many that read much if any of their owners manuals.
5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2017, 03:13 PM   #11
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB# View Post
It's easy enough to make your own log book and ask the dealer/mechanic to stamp it, in addition to your receipts.

Not quite a new book but..... my car has done so many kms that it ran out of service entry spots in the log book. I just made up my own blank entry pages on the computer, printed them out and stuck them in at the back to 'continue' the book.
Agreed, your collection of receipts is better than a log book since they would have all the details recorded as to what was done to your vehicle.
Rubber stamp offers little info what was actually done but receipt details everything.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2017, 07:32 AM   #12
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stock1991 View Post
I doubt your car would even get serviced if the workshop had no electricity at the time.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-07-2017, 01:03 PM   #13
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
I suppose when it comes to resale time your dealer will probably download the service history straight from your car.
They might do it for free in the beginning, but give them time and I will bet they stick a hefty sum on this "purchase" once everyone is converted to an "e-logbook"

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2017, 05:40 PM   #14
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stock1991 View Post
Do you live in South Australia?
Everywhere else in Australia blackouts are not that common.
Well not common enough for no electricity to be considered a major issue.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post