Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-04-2005, 09:59 PM   #1
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 
Default Newcastle Police get tuff on street racing

There was a story on tonites local tv news about how the Police FINALLY decided to take action against the local hoon element up @ Kooragang Island.
This area has been notorious? for this type of activity for as long as I can remember(well at least a few years before I got my licence)
On the news they mentioned that they had impounded 8 cars (with a further 2 cars impounded today - after reviewing video evidence) & went as far as showing these impounded vehicles on the news. No attempt was made to hide the P Plates a number of these cars had on them, nor was any attempt made to hide the actual number plates of the vehicles involved(which I thought was a little strange)
In addition to the fines / penalties handed out to a number of the vehicle owners that actually took part in the 'festivities', a number of other fines / penalty notices were allegedly issued to the crowd of 100 or so innocent bystanders.(Given the locality of Kooragang Island & the timing of the raid - there really isn't toooo many other reasons to have been in that area)
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2005, 01:45 AM   #2
xrgran

That has been going on at Kooragang Island for the last 20+ years, at least. And it is a brilliant trap for the coppers, as the 'playful ones' have no where to escape to.
some things just never change...
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2005, 06:14 AM   #3
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This sounds very similar to what's happening in Tauranga, and it's probably a good thing. The less idiot hoons on our roads the better.
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2005, 07:35 AM   #4
HOON69
Banned

Eight cars seized at street race
April 10, 2005

A DRIVER who allegedly did burnouts with a child in the back seat was one of 14 people charged during an illegal street race on the New South Wales central coast.
Officers confiscated eight vehicles during the event in Green Leaf Road, Kooragang Island, late last night, a police spokesman said.

Police issued 14 infringement notices, including four for drink driving offences and seven for burnouts.

One driver, who allegedly had a child in the back seat, was charged after being detected doing a five second-long burnout, the spokesman said.

More than 100 bystanders and 40 drivers were at the event, some of whom had travelled from as far away as Scone and Muswellbrook, in the upper Hunter Valley.

Drivers caught street racing a second time risked losing their vehicle permanently, the spokesman said.
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2005, 10:21 AM   #5
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

I agree that it's wrong and illegal drags have been going on there for years. And I won't try to defend it.

What I do think sucks is the fact they have been trying to block a drag strip somewhere in Newcastle where people can legally drag for ages. I am not saying it would stop this sort of thing happening altogether, but at least it would give people who want to do the right thing somewhere to go, instead of just forcing them to go find somewhere the cops hopefully won't be.

Again, I don't street race and don't approve of it, but I think it sucks the way the government and minority lobbying groups are doing everything they can to stop anything motorsport in Newcastle.

Tim
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2005, 11:33 AM   #6
Yellow Fire
Cleveland Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
I agree that it's wrong and illegal drags have been going on there for years. And I won't try to defend it.

What I do think sucks is the fact they have been trying to block a drag strip somewhere in Newcastle where people can legally drag for ages. I am not saying it would stop this sort of thing happening altogether, but at least it would give people who want to do the right thing somewhere to go, instead of just forcing them to go find somewhere the cops hopefully won't be.

Again, I don't street race and don't approve of it, but I think it sucks the way the government and minority lobbying groups are doing everything they can to stop anything motorsport in Newcastle.

Tim
I agree. To be honest I can't see the cops doing anything about Kooragang short of putting speed bumps all over the area. It's been going fo so long now that I think this will just cause people to lie low for a while until the cops find something else to do.
Yellow Fire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2005, 12:29 PM   #7
Twisted
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOON69
One driver, who allegedly had a child in the back seat, was charged after being detected doing a five second-long burnout, the spokesman said.
Youve got to be kidding me!

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT
FordForums.com.au
Hats, Stickers & Patches are now available!
Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2005, 12:58 PM   #8
james

5 secconds lol. wtf maybe if he made smoke you couldnt see out of but bloody hell.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2005, 06:25 PM   #9
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOON69
Eight cars seized at street race
April 10, 2005
A DRIVER who allegedly did burnouts with a child in the back seat was one of 14 people charged during an illegal street race on the New South Wales central coast.
Officers confiscated eight vehicles during the event in Green Leaf Road, Kooragang Island, late last night, a police spokesman said.
Ummmm NSW Central Coast????? I don't think I'd like that little walk!!!! Seems that the printed press, and the television need to get things sorted when they report things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMMEH

ABOSLUTELY 100% on the money!!!! Since the closure of the motordrome 3 years ago there has been ZERO facilities available for large scale organised motorsport(larger then gokarts) For a population centre as large as Newcastle to require persons to travel in excess of 2hrs to take their frustrations to the track is inviting this type of event (nb -This is by NO means me condoning street racing). As Tim pointed out, track developments have been knocked on the head at quite a number of locations, from the REAL Central Coast, right the way up to Port Stephens.
The details in the paper differ notably from those in the tv story. Also in todays nsw telegraph a story of how petrol @ a location in Marmong point(I THINK it was Marmong Point - North of Port Stephens) fuel was being sold for $1.55.9 per litre, yet the paper claimed $1.59
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2005, 12:44 PM   #10
UTE69Z
Mick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh

Tim

The government does not stand to make as much money if they build and open a place for everyone to do it legally...

Each vehicle they impound earns them (including impound fees, fines, towing fees ) $1800 - $2000+...

now just on that night they make around $15000...
and what did they make on that night a couple of years ago when they impounded around 40 vehicles????

tell me know are they gonna make the same amount of money if they go and build a complex where people can do this legally???

thay would have to charge around $40 - $50 entry to the place and there is no-way some of the people that go to kooragang are going to fork out that much money each week.

I DO NOT street race and dont condone it but i know people that do and know for a fact they are going to keep doing it.. All i can say that all of the people that do race are idiots.

I have been to Kooragang island twice on a friday or saturday night, the first time i went there i was parked under the bridge behind the unmarked cop car(commodore wagon) I was surprised at how STUPID the idiots are that do race, this car is a brand new commodore wagon sitting about 50 metres from where they start thier races, with two UNIFORMED police officers sitting in it with the windows down(so obviously police car) and all of these dickheads are still racing!!!

Sorry if i ranted on a bit there but I just think street racers are F@#%WITS.
UTE69Z is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post