Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 22-05-2015, 10:25 PM   #1
fixmyresume
FMR Mondeo

Default Question: Engine cranks but does not start?

Hey there. This is my first post and I would appreciate some help. My engine cranks but does not start. Below, I have cut and paste the possible sources and actions recommended by the FordETIS. Any help/input would be much appreciate.

So, I have consulted the FordETIS manual for this vehicle and it suggests that I RESET the IFS switch. I have removed the glove box, checked behind the kick panel on both the driver and passenger sides, along with the kick panels on the centre console, I can't see it there. I thought all Fords were fitted with a fuel cut off switch? Does anyone know where it is actually located for certain?

I have searched this forum, and others, for hours trying to locate the position of the Inertia Fuel Shutoff (IFS) Switch on my 2009 Ford Mondeo MB Zetec Wagon. I have called Ford dealerships who were no help either. I would like to eliminate this as a possible source before calling in the cavalry. Cheers.

ENGINE: 2.3L Duractec - Petrol
SYMPTOM: Engine cranks but does not start
POSSIBLE SOURCES & *ACTION:
1) Inertia fuel shutoff (IFS) switch. *RESET the IFS switch.
2) Low fuel system pressure. *Check the fuel system pressure.
3) Fuel lines damaged or blocked. *INSPECT the fuel lines. INSTALL new components as necessary. TEST the system for normal operation.
4) Fuel filter blocked. *INSTALL a new fuel filter.
5) Fuel pump and sender unit.
6) Crankshaft position (CKP) sensor. *Carry out a full engine diagnosis using the guided diagnostic menu in the Ford approved diagnostic tool.
7) Camshaft position (CMP) sensor. *Carry out a full engine diagnosis using the guided diagnostic menu in the Ford approved diagnostic tool.
8) PCM. *Carry out a full engine diagnosis using the guided diagnostic menu in the Ford approved diagnostic tool.
9) Fuel rail pressure (FRP) sensor. *Carry out a full engine diagnosis using the guided diagnostic menu in the Ford approved diagnostic tool.
10) Fuel injectors. *INSPECT the fuel injectors. CLEAN the fuel injectors or INSTALL a new set of fuel injectors as required only after the checks have been carried out.
11) Incorrect valve timing. *CHECK the valve timing.
12) Low cylinder compression. *TEST the cylinder compression.
  • Engine: 4 Cylinder - 2.3L Duratec-HE
  • Transmission: 6-Speed Sports Automatic
fixmyresume is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2015, 12:11 AM   #2
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Default Re: Question: Engine cranks but does not start?

It's probably a bit drastic to pin point IFS this early.

Lock the vehicle, then unlock it by the key and try to start it, there's also the 'Flooded' startup procedure, foot flat on acc. whilst cranking.

Fuel pump fuse OK?

If my google foo is strong (read correct) you'll have to lift up and move out the way the passenger front door weather strip (not on the door but the rubber strip on the body). You then remove the plastic trim on the bottom that runs up to the LH kick panel you should then see it up inside the kick panel.

cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post