Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 02-04-2015, 11:04 AM   #1
nevetsg

Default MC TDCi Oil filter removal

Hi Guys

My MC TDCI has hit 110,000 and the little sticker on the windscreen says it is service time. I am handy and a tight **** so want to do it myself.

I though the MA oil filter was difficult to get to but it is nothing compared to this. Before buying the parts I have tested that my socket/ratchet fits. I can get it on but think that if I undo the lid the gap is too tight to actually get it off..

Has anyone managed this without going to the expense of a special tool?
http://www.toolmaster.com.au/draper-...er-wrench-ofw/

PS: love how they have to make the oil filler movable to allow servicing...

RIP: Mondeo 2008 MA TDCi. Colorado Red, Leather, Bluetooth, sunroof, Tow pack. C.R. Tech tuning box
nevetsg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2015, 10:07 PM   #2
VF69HARDTOP
Starter Motor

Default Re: MC TDCi Oil filter removal

I just did my MB TDCI and filter access was actually really good. 1/2" drive socket with medium extension and all good to go.
VF69HARDTOP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2015, 09:27 AM   #3
nevetsg

Yeah, it is pretty easy in the old engine. The new one has everything in the way :-/

RIP: Mondeo 2008 MA TDCi. Colorado Red, Leather, Bluetooth, sunroof, Tow pack. C.R. Tech tuning box
Old 03-04-2015, 01:15 PM   #4
TheTimsta
Starter Motor

I ended up using an adjustable wrench, and because the plastic cap tends to bed itself in when tightened, it took me a while to unwind it. Of course, once I got it off, inserting the oil filter is easy, and so is replacing the cap, which goes on quite freely. The only slightly disconcerting thing is knowing how tight to tighten it against what is a somewhat fragile looking filter. I just tried to judge what felt about right.
-----------------------
2011 Panther Black Metallic TDCI wagon, owned since 5/2014.
TheTimsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2015, 03:45 PM   #5
nevetsg

Oh, I get you. loosen it with the socket and then wind it off/on with fingers. Sounds like a plan.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:05 PM   #6
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some information might help DIY oil changers on MC diesels.

Sump plug: 21mm
Filter: 27mm
Undertray: 10mm

For the sump plug, a ring spanner. For the filter, I got a cheap ring spanner and
cut it off to a convenient length with an angle grinder. For the undertray, a small cordless driver from Bunnings, Bosch.

My main problem was escaping oil when removing the filter which is upside down. The solution seems to be wait 30mins before unscrewing it. Has worked so far.
Be sure to use oil suitable for DPFs or the ash could clog your DPF.
Also there are some more expensive oils which are claimed to reduce fuel consumption.
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-06-2015, 09:55 PM   #7
GT2

I bought a cheap 6 pointed socket from Bunnings and cut it down shorter using a lathe.
Where the ratchet would normally go, I welded a 17mm nut.
I use a ratchet ring spanner to spin it off without damage to the filter housing.
GT2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2015, 02:40 PM   #8
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, six sided socket is gentler with the filter nut. Something I noticed last time I changed the oil was some text on the filter housing which was 'DRAIN' with a pointer.
Below the 'o' ring I saw a rectangular slot, could this be the answer to the oil spiller's prayer? I suspect so. When I do our other car which is very soon, I'll try and figure it out.
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post