Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-04-2017, 10:21 AM   #31
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Default Re: Mustang confirmed to replace Falcon -2018 Supercars

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobimbo View Post
Personally, I prefer tomato or even mustard. Push comes to shove and I might even give BBQ a go. Never tried Murdoch tho! What's it taste like?
Murdoch is sour yet bitter....

Does the Mustang lock in what Ford runners can use or are they still free to use additional platforms?
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-04-2017, 05:19 PM   #32
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Hold your horses....

https://www.motorsport.com/v8superca...rs-bid-889994/
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2017, 07:06 PM   #33
bigwil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford Australia are a joke, they have no problem spending money on stupid reality tv shows and geelong football club but motorsport is a big no no, idiots
bigwil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2017, 07:15 PM   #34
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwil View Post
Ford Australia are a joke, they have no problem spending money on stupid reality tv shows and geelong football club but motorsport is a big no no, idiots
In most cases people viewing Motorsport or supporting a ford based team will already be a ford buyer or potential ford buyer.

I suppose in fords mind it more valuable to spend advertising money in areas that will reach out to new customers.

I know it sucks to not have ford actively supporting a race team but you need to view the whole situation as a business situation to understand their motivations
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2017, 07:16 PM   #35
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

GFC >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Supercars
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2017, 07:31 PM   #36
bigwil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Up until the last few years the only Fords that sold in decent numbers were the aussie built ones. Apart from the ranger the other ones are nowhere, fiesta focus kuga mondeo, but as hard as i try i still love Ford, have so since the mid eighties
bigwil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2017, 08:06 PM   #37
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Up until the last few years the only Fords that sold in decent numbers were the aussie built ones. Apart from the ranger the other ones are nowhere, fiesta focus kuga mondeo, but as hard as i try i still love Ford, have so since the mid eighties
I bled blue from the late 1970s but the love affair started going sour from 2007 when they announced the Falcon was going to use a POS imported V6 from 2010.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2017, 09:10 PM   #38
jgmdat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
I bled blue from the late 1970s but the love affair started going sour from 2007 when they announced the Falcon was going to use a POS imported V6 from 2010.
V6 Falcon from 2010???? None for sale on Carsales. And by the way it's spelt FORD
jgmdat is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2017, 10:28 PM   #39
RANGEREST
Same ****-Different Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmdat View Post
V6 Falcon from 2010???? None for sale on Carsales. And by the way it's spelt FORD
Would have been when Ford were routing the V6 Taurus as a possible Falcon replacement.
UA2 Everest Trend 2.0lt
RANGEREST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2017, 10:44 PM   #40
Vormund

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmdat View Post
There were plans (obviously scrapped) to replace the I6 with the Duratec V6 due to emissions. It would have been 3.5 litres in capacity, as well as a turbo version.

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/118...-and-territory
Vormund is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2017, 07:37 AM   #41
vbomber

Quote:
Will it use the Coyote/Voodoo V8 or continue to use the old 5 litre boat anchor?
If I remember correctly from last year whatever car they use falcon/mondeo/mustang was using the same engine since they spent $$$ on development
vbomber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2017, 08:11 AM   #42
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What a shame the Barra didn't survive long enough to see 6-cyl engines allowed. Racing would've improved the breeed no end.
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2017, 08:55 AM   #43
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You have have to consider that some people have short memories, or were too young to be aware of that aborted idea of the US V6. If I remember correctly the Fed Govt kicked the can to provide funding for the emissions updated Oz 6 cyl, so it got a reprieve.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2017, 09:44 AM   #44
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
You have have to consider that some people have short memories, or were too young to be aware of that aborted idea of the US V6. If I remember correctly the Fed Govt kicked the can to provide funding for the emissions updated Oz 6 cyl, so it got a reprieve.
IMO they shouldn't have done that, They should have gone with the imported engines to bring the Aussie built cars more in line with the rest of the world.

Who knows They may have survived at least another generation with Ecoboost V6 engines.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2017, 09:55 AM   #45
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hardly likely as the world is moving into SUVs an engine change wouldn't have saved the Falcon or Territory. It was inevitable and Ford did their best to minimise the damage for the company.
As for the topic of the thread , I believe we will see mustangs racing , just not sure exactly when that might be.
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2017, 10:05 AM   #46
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
IMO they shouldn't have done that, They should have gone with the imported engines to bring the Aussie built cars more in line with the rest of the world. Who knows They may have survived at least another generation with Ecoboost V6 engines.
Yeah, hindsight is a wonderful gift. Back then the writing was on the wall, but we didn't know where the wall was, and didn't want to read it if we found it.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2017, 08:19 PM   #47
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

G'day...Forgive my ignorance on this but how long could a Falcon run legit if they chose ?..Is 2018 (2 years after the cessation of production) it ?..
In that case will Holden be tempted to get the Camaro here by 2019 to take the place of the ol' Commodore or what!!!!!...Cheers Rod...
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2017, 08:53 PM   #48
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
IMO they shouldn't have done that, They should have gone with the imported engines to bring the Aussie built cars more in line with the rest of the world.

Who knows They may have survived at least another generation with Ecoboost V6 engines.
A new engine was never going to save the Falcon.

If the choice between a petrol I6, LPG I6, Turbo I6, a Ecoboost 4 and a fire breathing supercharged V8 didn't interest buyers, a all new V6 would have done nothing.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 07-04-2017, 09:00 PM   #49
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

A new engine was never going to save the Falcon.

If the choice between a petrol I6, LPG I6, Turbo I6, a Ecoboost 4 and a fire breathing supercharged V8 didn't interest buyers, a all new V6 would have done nothing.
Mustang GT

Old 08-04-2017, 09:08 AM   #50
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglem View Post
The only problem I have with the new Mustangs including the GT is they only have a 2 star AMCAP safety rating which I feel is pretty poor considering the cost of the car.
Just apply the test criteria that existed when the car was designed and built initially and you'll automatically jump a star or two in ratings...but that isn't ging to sell clicks on a website...
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2017, 09:39 AM   #51
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

G'day....Whether Mustang is racing next year or not , two things are poignant..
First thing is...GOTTA BE A FORD REPRESENTATION IN SUPERCARS SERIES NO MATTER WHAT..Otherwise Supercars will lose a major core element of why people actually go live to all the circuits or watch on TV..Same if Holden wasn't there no doubt..No Fords at all would be just totally incomprehensible..Mustang has to pick up the ball and run with it otherwise the series is doomed ..No Blue Oval...Who gives a bugger after that ?

The second thing is these six letters that form the word we all know and love as FALCON....No Falcons will be extremely hard to contemplate after five plus decades ,many, many wins including a bucket load on "The Mountain " and across all the different car configurations and rules..
The look of a big 'angry bird' tearing around all the tracks across this great big wonderful country of ours and a few places overseas fighting it out especially with the Red Lion , the Nissans , Merc's for a while , the Volvo's...others over all the years is why we rate our racing series so highly..
Real , tough hard unforgiving stuff and why it's regarded as one of the best tin top series on the whole planet..

I don't think that the full reality of a Falcon NOT racing in Supercars will hit us until the ignition switch is cut off after the last race of the last one standing later this year or whenever ...Cheers Rod..

Last edited by roddy1960; 08-04-2017 at 09:52 AM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 09-04-2017, 10:40 AM   #52
lownloud
Ford Junkie

They should just take the existing platform and throw a Mondeo body over it. Most punters wouldn't even notice it wasn't a Falcon for at least 3 years....