Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-04-2017, 04:05 PM   #1
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Default Ford in Australia: ‘We’re no longer a car company’, CEO Graeme Whickman says

The future is coming...

http://www.news.com.au/technology/in...08ae2390fb8c60
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-04-2017, 04:24 PM   #2
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: Ford in Australia: ‘We’re no longer a car company’, CEO Graeme Whickman says

Misleading thread title. He said "we are not solely just a car company".

And I think it's smart that they are hedging their bets with this.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 05-04-2017, 07:10 PM   #3
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford in Australia: ‘We’re no longer a car company’, CEO Graeme Whickman says

After reading that, I got an urge to put flowers in what little hair I have left, shed most of clothes and skip down the road singing “California Dreamin”.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 05-04-2017, 07:17 PM   #4
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

The future looks bleak.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-04-2017, 08:01 PM   #5
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

He is right about this

Quote:
In the future, Ford will focus less on people that want to own a car and more on those who simply need to use one now and again.
People are changing.
Gone are the days where we 'wanted' that car etc and mass populous has really turned into buyers wanting to just 'get there'.

For the enthusiast and even the collectable car owners, might be a bleak outlook
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-04-2017, 08:16 PM   #6
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think it means less people will be buying their new cars and keeping their older ones that have character and which you can actually drive yourself.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-04-2017, 09:35 PM   #7
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Misleading thread title. He said "we are not solely just a car company".

And I think it's smart that they are hedging their bets with this.
Yeah I copied News.com.au's title verbatim. They're all about that click bait.

With Fords recent performance push (STs, RS, Mustang etc) i still see excitement as part of the brand (whilst being prudent enough to holistically look at the future of transport)
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2017, 08:59 AM   #8
FormulaFG
Lurking......
Donating Member1

Whether you like it or not the world is changing.

Environmental, Lifestyle, Economic and buying trends etc etc. At least Ford have the foresight to see it coming and adjust to it. Makes good business sense and those that don't will perish.
FormulaFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2017, 09:14 AM   #9
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

I'm sure Ford is not the only car manufacturer thinking along these lines.
The world is changing, and also people's attitudes to transportation.

The younger generations are more interested in technology and their mobile phones than cars.... For them it's just a means to an end or getting from A to B.

I keep thinking about that photo in the article with that Chinese freeway with 50 lanes.... Imagine being in a far right lane, trying to merge across to the left to get off the freeway... What a nightmare!.... I think I'll take the train or bus.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2017, 10:01 AM   #10
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Toyota had the whitegoods on wheels, no frills transport down pat since the mid 90s. If that's the future of Ford, I don't want to be a part of it.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2017, 10:55 AM   #11
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's a pretty bleak outlook - "the future" used to be something exciting to look forward to.

I'd like to imagine manufacturing technology improving to the point where things can be made quickly and easily; though developments in 3D printing, which would include metal, rubber as well as automotive plastic components.

Ford for example would produce & stockpile the bare chassis/shell with an engine/drive-line, with several variations being available.

The customer would then go online and choose the body style and interior fit out they desire.
This online order feeds through to the assembly area and the body/interior parts automatically (and almost instantaneously) get produced and fitted into place.

Like one of the past classic designs - no problem - choose from any of them.
The option of an XA Coupe, XE ESP, etc. retro-tech build will then pop into life.
Or just choose one of the current aero designs, and go cutting-edge.
Ford17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2017, 12:13 PM   #12
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniacidz View Post
People are changing.
Gone are the days where we 'wanted' that car etc and mass populous has really turned into buyers wanting to just 'get there'.

For the enthusiast and even the collectable car owners, might be a bleak outlook
Couple of years back on a Holiday in Bali, we had a pre arranged driver we could use every day as part of our package.
The Driver couldn't understand why people drive themselves In Australia.
he asked me, who was my driver at home.

Another example is Singapore where they pay enormous road tax's and owners need to apply & pay for a "certificate of entitlement"
Cabs are so cheap and plentiful there it wasn't surprising the cars on the road were either cabs or Luxury brands.
As Australia's main cities become more populated I can see this happening, we are a long way off that sort of density atm though.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2017, 01:39 PM   #13
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Time to start looking into this kind of thing perhaps:

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2017, 01:55 PM   #14
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Where I live, new apartments are going up at a huge rate. Sure, they can't fill them now and most are empty, but over time they'll fill up, and the council will not issue resident permits for new residences. It's already a nightmare to score a park, or just get in and out of this little nub of a suburb, while during peak times there's buses on the major roads every couple minutes.

For a lot of the people who will live here, a car is something they won't need or want. A car sharing service or autonomous taxi service or whatever will be all most people need.

I don't see myself in that situation any time soon.

Current job I start at 5am, there is no PT, and while I often cycle to work, I'll drive when the weather is bad, or i'm running a bit late.
Previous job was 2 hours, 3 buses and a 30min walk, or a 20min car drive.

Off to the country soon for six months, and without a car would never have been able to take the job.

I agree with Bevsta, we don't really have the population density for it yet, but we're well on the way in some places, and I think there's already a lot of people who will be happy to never own a car.

I don't see car ownership disappearing in Australia any time soon. These new technologies will be great in the cities, but not for people in outer suburbs and rural areas, and there's a LOT of that.

I wouldn't be surprised if we get to a point where you can't drive in the cities, you'd have to park your car and swap to mass transit or a self driving vehicle to go any further.

But not for a long time yet.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2017, 02:05 PM   #15
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post

Another example is Singapore where they pay enormous road tax's and owners need to apply & pay for a "certificate of entitlement"
Cabs are so cheap and plentiful there it wasn't surprising the cars on the road were either cabs or Luxury brands.
As Australia's main cities become more populated I can see this happening, we are a long way off that sort of density atm though.
We are doing this already, it is called excessive car registration.

Governments have, through insidious methods have already introduced congestion taxes; increased car rego to a point that only the "privileged" few will be able to afford it and stupidly high car parking prices (Melbourne city council increased it a few years back to $4hr for street parking up to midnight).
Old 06-04-2017, 02:20 PM   #16
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post

Governments have, through insidious methods have already introduced congestion taxes; increased car rego to a point that only the "privileged" few will be able to afford it and stupidly high car parking prices (Melbourne city council increased it a few years back to $4hr for street parking up to midnight).
I think in the future car registration will be a nominal fee.... Instead it will be based on a user pays to use our roads basis.

The government will instead charge car owners based on the number of kilometres they do each year, either by a GPS tracker fitted to the car or by logging the odometer reading at the start and end of each year.

Those that use the roads more will pay a greater share than the little old lady who only drives to church on Sundays.

Especially since there will be more electric cars on the road in the future, and the government won't make any money from them in petrol taxes.
2 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2017, 02:23 PM   #17
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAXRSIX View Post
I think in the future car registration will be a nominal fee.... Instead it will be based on a user pays to use our roads basis.

The government will instead charge car owners based on the number of kilometres they do each year, either by a GPS tracker fitted to the car or by logging the odometer reading at the start and end of each year.

Those that use the roads more will pay a greater share than the little old lady who only drives to church on Sundays.

Especially since there will be more electric cars on the road in the future, and the government won't make any money from them in petrol taxes.
I've seen a lot of talk about that approach and have to say i think it is fair.
Personally, in 12 months i'll drive may be 8 or 9000km. I drive to the train station and back home each day.
Old 06-04-2017, 03:57 PM   #18
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Toyota had the whitegoods on wheels, no frills transport down pat since the mid 90s. If that's the future of Ford, I don't want to be a part of it.
That's not what they are saying. This is for people who don't want to drive, but they have also stated a few times they still want to cater to people who do want to drive. And they never want to let go of that.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2017, 04:11 PM   #19
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

I guess Ford has to move with the times. In the last few days i heard Tesla Motors has overtaken Ford in company value or worth if you like, even though they sell a tiny fraction of cars that Ford do.

This would be why Ford need to continue to innovate.
PridenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2017, 08:16 PM   #20
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PridenJoy View Post
I guess Ford has to move with the times. In the last few days i heard Tesla Motors has overtaken Ford in company value or worth if you like, even though they sell a tiny fraction of cars that Ford do.

This would be why Ford need to continue to innovate.
Tesla company is a sham.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2017, 08:40 PM   #21
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Tesla company is a sham.
Because it's valued more than Ford or.......?
Old 06-04-2017, 08:53 PM   #22
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PridenJoy View Post
Because it's valued more than Ford or.......?
Technology stocks, its a sham.

Ford made $US 15 Billion profit last year, Tesla made their first Qtr profit in 4 years in Qtr 3 2016 ( $US 111 million ).
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2017, 09:08 PM   #23
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post

Ford made $US 15 Billion profit last year, Tesla made their first Qtr profit in 4 years in Qtr 3 2016 ( $US 111 million ).
To be fair though... Ford has been in business for 114 years (Est. 1903) versus Tesla for 14 years (Est. 2003).

In another 100 years from now.... When all cars will be electric or fuelled on some technology other than fossil fuels, the profits may look very different between Ford, Tesla and emerging car makers.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:30 PM   #24
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post

This article sums it up well.

http://www.vox.com/platform/amp/new-...rd-stock-price

So not really a sham but possibly the very reason Ford is diversifying. They know what the stock market knows and are planning to change it.
2 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2017, 10:07 PM   #25
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post

You're kidding aren't you? We have very low registration and running costs in this country. See below for costs involved with buying a new car in sg, and on top of this the latest Cost of Entitlement for anything over 1.6lt is roughly S$80k for 10 years.
Do the sums for a $55k Aussie built sedan.
Vehicle taxes and registration fees

All motor vehicles imported into Singapore are slapped with a customs duty of 41 per cent ad valorem. There is also a Registration Fee to be paid. The fee is $1,000 for private vehicles and $5,000 for company vehicles. In addition, when a car is first registered (whether new or used), an Additional Registration Fee (ARF) of 150 per cent of the car's Open Market Value is payable. All these make the price of cars here artificially inflated compared to those in the States or Europe.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 06-04-2017, 10:12 PM   #26
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Tesla cars are a mere hobby to Musk compared to his powerwall battery vision!
Google.. Nevada gigafactory... Going to be larger area than the Boeing factory, which is presently the largest on Earth!
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2017, 10:13 PM   #27
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabantien View Post
Where I live, new apartments are going up at a huge rate. Sure, they can't fill them now and most are empty, but over time they'll fill up, and the council will not issue resident permits for new residences. It's already a nightmare to score a park, or just get in and out of this little nub of a suburb, while during peak times there's buses on the major roads every couple minutes.

For a lot of the people who will live here, a car is something they won't need or want. A car sharing service or autonomous taxi service or whatever will be all most people need.

I don't see myself in that situation any time soon.

Current job I start at 5am, there is no PT, and while I often cycle to work, I'll drive when the weather is bad, or i'm running a bit late.
Previous job was 2 hours, 3 buses and a 30min walk, or a 20min car drive.

Off to the country soon for six months, and without a car would never have been able to take the job.

I agree with Bevsta, we don't really have the population density for it yet, but we're well on the way in some places, and I think there's already a lot of people who will be happy to never own a car.

I don't see car ownership disappearing in Australia any time soon. These new technologies will be great in the cities, but not for people in outer suburbs and rural areas, and there's a LOT of that.

I wouldn't be surprised if we get to a point where you can't drive in the cities, you'd have to park your car and swap to mass transit or a self driving vehicle to go any further.

But not for a long time yet.
Same thing around where I work - they're trying to force my local council to meet a quota of new apartment buildings, but council said no because it's not viable, so there will be a fight.

Already we're seeing the effects around work - even though most of the new apartments aren't ready yet.
This morning it took me an hour to drive 8km to work. Most of that time was just the last 1.2km.
Because more people are using the motorway entrance down the street from our office, and they have not adjusted the traffic lights to balance out the increased traffic, especially with the new hardware store that has just opened, which has people confused as to how to access it, or ignoring the road rules completely and doing U-turns over double lines and turning against signage.

Coming back to the yard this afternoon at about 4.15pm, the last 700m to our driveway took 25 minutes and 12 changes of traffic lights. There are just so many cars, that even when the light is green, you cannot move.

Screw this. I want out of Sydney.

I'm currently investigating how hard it would be for me to move to Finland. Seriously.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2017, 10:33 PM   #28
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
You're kidding aren't you? We have very low registration and running costs in this country. See below for costs involved with buying a new car in sg, and on top of this the latest Cost of Entitlement for anything over 1.6lt is roughly S$80k for 10 years.
Do the sums for a $55k Aussie built sedan.
Vehicle taxes and registration fees

All motor vehicles imported into Singapore are slapped with a customs duty of 41 per cent ad valorem. There is also a Registration Fee to be paid. The fee is $1,000 for private vehicles and $5,000 for company vehicles. In addition, when a car is first registered (whether new or used), an Additional Registration Fee (ARF) of 150 per cent of the car's Open Market Value is payable. All these make the price of cars here artificially inflated compared to those in the States or Europe.
Ah yes, but cannot compare Singapore to AU, vastly different, having a car there isn't as much of a requirement as it is here.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:17 PM   #29
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The user pays for roads is unfair. In a state where our public transport grinds to a virtual halt when it gets warm and when it rains there is a good chance your train won't run at all, the government cannot in good conscience charge people for how long they drive and the one that tries won't be in government long enough to implement it.

I work in Derrimut and drive from Lara every day to get there. There isn't a train station or bus within cooee of me. I will take great delight in breaking the GPS box they install in my car if this gets in.

And if user pays is the latest thing and is so much fairer and just, then I look forward to not paying any Medicare levy this year as I haven't been to a doctor for a full two years and to a hospital for 15.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post