Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 18-07-2006, 03:13 AM   #1
meanbow
Welsh...and proud

Exclamation help needed in confirming age of my Telstar

Hey all
i really need your help here in confirming the EXACT year of manufacture of my Telstar, so i can have it correctly plated in the U.K
as you may(or may not) know, i have an '83 Telstar 1.6 Ghia with the 4 Spd manual box. there has been no modifications to the vehicle, apart from a partial restore as i go along. now here's my problem...over here in the U.K, my Telstar has been assigned plates from the year of first import, which is '90, giving the car over 6 years difference in age between the vehicle and it's plates. i need to officially confirm the YEAR OF MANUFACTURE to my local liscencing authaurity so it can be re-assigned CORRECT plates for the vehicles true year, and to put right the details of the car. is there any way of doing that at all so it can be correct?

here's hoping...and thanking in advance
:voldar02:
meanbow

meanbow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 03:24 AM   #2
dirty hands
Over Thinker

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Telstar

In australia we have them as June 1983 to Nov 1987 and we only go by the Australian compliance plate so that is no help either
the mazda 626 is the same .try have a look in www.mx6.com see if they have any information about manufacture
You would need the ford code system to identify your car on the build assembly line ??
no luck getting any information out of the ford company in uk I suppose
Old 18-07-2006, 04:16 AM   #3
meanbow
Welsh...and proud

nope, no luck from my local ford dealers...they got me a printout of the car from it's assigned plates, and all it comes up with is date of first u.k registration, yet it does list that it was manufactured in 1983,although it doesn't give specific dates from the chassis no.
i worked for the main dealer in my area for a while, and learnt how to read the VIN plates, but as my cars an import, i'm not sure if it works the same way as a european VIN plate, whereas the last 2 letters before the no. identify the month and year of manufacture, in which case BY would indicate June/July 1983, and the no. 00430 being it's chassis no.

that alone should be enough, but they want written evidence before they will re-assign it new (old) plates

:togo:
Old 18-07-2006, 08:55 AM   #4
dirty hands
Over Thinker

If you didnt own the car from new I can only assume someone brought the car into the uk in 1990 and was given UK idenity plates keeping the same chassis number ? then sold it in the uk
Wikipedia gives you the importer and manufacture you have to go there perhaps
as an individual touch :
make up a seperate metal plate and rivit it to the firewall saying
This is actually a 1983 model you tossers :Up_to_som and just to please everyone write it in welsh
Old 22-07-2006, 09:31 PM   #5
meanbow
Welsh...and proud

Smile

o.k then...maybe there is someone out there that could help me to find out some history on my car then.
the chassis number is : SHVLBY 00430
engine number : 121404
i'm sure someone out there can help me trace the history, and therefore prove it's age :