Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 19-10-2018, 09:04 AM   #361
xeeclipse
Banned

Default Re: Will the Holden brand survive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
So its most probable Holden won't survive in it's current form, Commodore will eventually die, and Ford have announced it will cease production of passenger cars except Mustang and their SUV/truck lines.

Holden changing to Chevrolet in Australia anytime soon can't happen as they don't have a RHD platform.

So the big question for Ford fans, what will those members with Falcons one day be replacing them with?

Assuming Mustang / Camaro being two door does not fit your lifestyle.

Move to an SUV model?

Consider a Jap, Korean or Euro sedan or baby your Falcon so it lasts forever?
If everyone here adopts an AU orphan we will drive Falcons happily ever after...FOREVER

In thousands of years from now archeologists will be digging up perfectly preserves AU's in a mummified state. Quick oil change , coolant top up and new battery and the mongrels willl be good to go.

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust only applies to perishable items like australian lions.
4 users like this post:
Old 19-10-2018, 10:49 AM   #362
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarite_guy View Post
Focus production will continue in China and the ST and RS lines will continue in Germany.
True... But I can't see Commodore or Falcon owners downsizing to a Focus.
This user likes this post:
Old 19-10-2018, 10:53 AM   #363
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Quote:
True. I addressed the one statement.
Old 19-10-2018, 12:17 PM   #364
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:

So the big question for Ford fans, what will those members with Falcons one day be replacing them with?

Move to an SUV model?
Most have already moved on to dual cabs or SUVs.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-10-2018, 01:31 PM   #365
Cheech
HELL YES

Quote:
We went from mildly worked FGXR6T to MKIII Focus RS, so we are out there.

2019 Ssangyong Rexton fourby (the daily driver, tow pig & snowmobile)
3 users like this post:
Old 19-10-2018, 03:24 PM   #366
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
The alternative was to be like Holden and offer a FWD AWD V6 as a replacement sedan,
Yep .. not many of those already in the market?
Old 19-10-2018, 04:09 PM   #367
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mercedes Benz is an aspirational brand with most of the c classes leased by business owners and their wives.
No one, and I mean no one aspires to own an Opel,GM or Holden, they are appliances, and the Japanese/Koreans are much better at doing these without treating customers with contempt.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 19-10-2018, 06:17 PM   #368
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Agree

But Holden and ford were once aspirational too.
Old 19-10-2018, 06:24 PM   #369
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2fairmont View Post
Agree

But Holden and ford were once aspirational too.
People still aspire to own a Mustang or Raptor.
Old 19-10-2018, 06:33 PM   #370
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

[QUOTE=GO FURTHER;6205302

Move to an SUV model?

Consider a Jap, Korean or Euro sedan or baby your Falcon so it lasts forever?[/QUOTE]

Well I currently have 2x FG II & 2xAU's, pretty sure they will last me the next 10 or so years, by then even ford will have hybrids in their line ups,
I won't need a ranger, a mustang will be consideration however in reality I can see most likely will be some type of EV as a local runabout given how petrol prices and speed limit changes are going, while my FG/ AU are weekenders etc.
on a side note, will be interesting to see what effect the FBT changes have on dual cab sales over the next 2 to 4 years.
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
Old 19-10-2018, 07:03 PM   #371
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
There's definitely something unpalatable for me with a three cylinder engine . No logical reason but it'd put me off wanting a new Focus or Fiesta despite the fact they are highly likely to be very competent cars . Not for me though..
Old 19-10-2018, 07:40 PM   #372
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
They've stopped production of the "new Holden."

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/hol...re-and-equinox

Inevitable

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Old 19-10-2018, 08:38 PM   #373
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeeclipse View Post
If everyone here adopts an AU orphan we will drive Falcons happily ever after...FOREVER

Only issue is, AU's have become collectable & are fetching top dollar..... well so ive read.....
Old 19-10-2018, 08:49 PM   #374
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm sure most car people predicted this. We already had an Insignia before and it didn't sell why did they think putting a Commodore badge on it would change that? Did they even ask current VF buyers if they would bother even looking at it?

Those who know what a Commodore is used to be able to get a large RWD with a V8 option which made up a decent chunk of sales and those who didn't like the reputation were not going to start buying now.

The rest may have bought one which going by sales is **** all. Everyone but Holden (at least publicly) knew this was going to be the result.

The new 'Commodore' seems like a decent car but a Commodore it is not. Everything else is rebadged crap out of Holden like it has been for years.
3 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2018, 12:08 AM   #375
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

The VF is an awesome car , how can Holden now compete with that...

Being a ford 6 turbo and VF V8 guy, for me there is now no car on sale I would buy. Why would I want a ranger (truck) and mustang doesnt really suit with only 2 doors.

The large 4 door family RWD sedan is dead. The diggers will be turning in their graves.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
3 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2018, 12:16 AM   #376
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's sad because the last Commodores and Falcons were really good. Tech and power. Saved the best for last.
Old 20-10-2018, 11:50 AM   #377
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
It's sad because the last Commodores and Falcons were really good. Tech and power. Saved the best for last.
No they didn't.
We were supposed to get VF in 2011 but it was delayed years because of GM's BK and the
update in 2014 was to get GM's new DI V8s and 8-speed auto, no point VF cancelled in 2017

The moment Holden started to cheap out on body changes like Ford, they were
in trouble and skipping the engines and gearboxes just drove the nails in further.

Last edited by jpd80; 20-10-2018 at 11:56 AM.
Old 20-10-2018, 01:03 PM   #378
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon_bandit View Post
Only issue is, AU's have become collectable & are fetching top dollar..... well so ive read.....
It never ceases to amaze me that the much maligned AU on it's release has 20 -16 years on depending on being l,ll or lll has become probably one of Ford Australia's big successes. This in big part based mostly on it's 'different' look . The media motoring journo's were not so enamored by the car despite it actually being more advanced than it's biggest rival (VT Commodore) that was a runaway sales success that Holden could only dream about now .

The true testament to the AU is that there are still so many on our roads as we speak on the back of the legendary reliability , easy to fix , people collect them with a passion and the true believers will not part with them as easily as many other cars . Oh yes , and the Tickford versions are an absolute stunner with one of the best V8's ever built in this country ..Still command a decent price too..

Took a while but Ford Australia's AU is now considered some of their best work by quite a lot of us . She still polarises opinion like no other Falcon . Seems you absolutely love them or pretty much hate them although through AFF and other places there are some who are not overly enthusiastic about the design but also are smart enough to know they're a bloody good drive and will give several hundreds of thousands of reliable kilometres without too much worry .

Tickles me a bit that the model code in scientific symbol means gold . It is in a way .

Last edited by roddy1960; 20-10-2018 at 01:14 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2018, 01:24 PM   #379
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

AU was the last of the high volume Falcon, B Series was far fewer sales and FG even less.
Average life expectancy of an Aussie car is around 15-17 years so AU presence should be
fading now. Later Falcon presence on the road will fade more quickly due to far less sales.

At some point, we'll see more Mustangs on the road than Falcon and that will be mixed feelings...
Old 20-10-2018, 01:59 PM   #380
minheim

I bought an AU classic brand new in 2000 in regency red and the dealer had it fitted with Tickford lpg. I sold it to my sister in law in 2009 and it is still going strong and on its original engine and auto. Regrettably the body is a bit battered from her ownership. I suspect the fact I babied it for its first nine years with regular servicing and it being on lpg has helped it last so long. If it wasn't so battered I would have bought it back from her.
Old 20-10-2018, 02:25 PM   #381
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Quote:
AU was the last of the high volume Falcon, B Series was far fewer sales and FG even less.
Average life expectancy of an Aussie car is around 15-17 years so AU presence should be
fading now. Later Falcon presence on the road will fade more quickly due to far less sales.

At some point, we'll see more Mustangs on the road than Falcon and that will be mixed feelings...
B series, best Ford made. 2003 BA sales went through the roof. Saved Ford. Just look how many on the road.. After 2010 all down hill for Ford.

FG was disaster . Last 5 years sales dismal. No wonder they spent no money on it...

Xtreme Ford Tuning

Old 20-10-2018, 03:03 PM   #382
Sprint XR8

The monthly sales average for BA was higher than AU. BF lost ground after the launch of VE in 2006.

AU 322,838 over 48 months - 6725 av
BA 281,197 over 37 months - 7599 av
BF 136,473 over 28 months - 4874 av
Old 20-10-2018, 03:44 PM   #383
xeeclipse
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
B series, best Ford made. 2003 BA sales went through the roof. Saved Ford. Just look how many on the road.. After 2010 all down hill for Ford.

FG was disaster . Last 5 years sales dismal. No wonder they spent no money on it...
B series best for made????

How many laps can you do around a race track with a turbo before it goes into limp mode or before the mighty modular spits a chain????

Where were all the dash clusters, icc units, stalks and switch gear all made??

Why was the humble heater tap removed?

Why were all the driveline components compromised by DANA due to cost cutting?

Why use a global rear end used instead of the insane SVT COBRA double wishbone??

All this for what? A twin cam head that only came to life above 4,000rpm??? Power vs reliability....

There's facts and there's fiction, The AU on merit was the best car this country has ever built and probably the only one we can truly call our own.
2 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2018, 04:28 PM   #384
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint XR8 View Post
The monthly sales average for BA was higher than AU. BF lost ground after the launch of VE in 2006.

AU 322,838 over 48 months - 6725 av
BA 281,197 over 37 months - 7599 av
BF 136,473 over 28 months - 4874 av

B-series sales were much better than AU until the Territory was released. From Mid-2004 it was all downhill for Falcon sales.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Old 20-10-2018, 05:31 PM   #385
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:

From my perspective I can't totally agree ..

I've owned my AU since it was 2 years old ..Literally the best car I've ever owned and why I still do . As it happens in late 2014 I bought a 2003 BA Fairmont Ghia with moderate kays . Several issues including tailshafts , electrics , front suspension ,stuff not working .Found a real nice FG XR6 in 2016 , had to get rid of either the 2001 AU ll Futura or the 2003 BA fairmont Ghia with roughly the same kays to make way for it and had no hesitation in offloading the BA . Matter of fact the AU was/is a much more comfortable car to drive and as hard as this might be to believe the only components other than tyres, exhaust,batteries, brake pads, bulbs etc etc is literally . the CD player , 1 x alternator , one steering boot , one power steering hose very recently, a couple of power window switches bootlid pivots and one ram damaged by a worn pivot . and a backlight for the clock ..everything else all as she was and still working .

I'll have an AU over a BA any day for that reason alone .

The FG , FGX might of been a 'disaster' sales wise but again from personal experience the NA FG XR6 I have is a beaut car to use over the past two and a half years .. We all see it different though and we all have certain opinions .

Commodore was also pretty darn good , especially the VF but it's sales plummeted too ..The whole point of this thread really as the Commodore was/is holden's ray of hope .. .

Last edited by roddy1960; 20-10-2018 at 05:49 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2018, 06:18 PM   #386
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just to add a bit of clarity to sales history,
Up until about July 2000, AU was selling at between 5,500 -6,500/mth but then fell off a cliff in 2001 and 2002
when sales went down to around 3,500/mth. The introduction of BA saw Falcon climb out of the sales hole,
peaking at 6,500 a month in August '03 but then started the steady decline through BF and BF II.
There's a lot of good reading on this thanks to Russell's sales data in Tech Resources...LINK

As much as we like to call FG a sales disaster, I think Ford did the best they could but the damage was done
and without $200 mil from the government, we would have just got a BF III and much earlier exit from Aus.

Last edited by jpd80; 20-10-2018 at 06:25 PM.
4 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2018, 08:19 PM   #387
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

can you drive an a/u without a paper bag over your head??

srs
3 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2018, 08:36 PM   #388
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Just to add a bit of clarity to sales history,
Up until about July 2000, AU was selling at between 5,500 -6,500/mth but then fell off a cliff in 2001 and 2002
when sales went down to around 3,500/mth. The introduction of BA saw Falcon climb out of the sales hole,
peaking at 6,500 a month in August '03 but then started the steady decline through BF and BF II.
There's a lot of good reading on this thanks to Russell's sales data in Tech Resources...LINK

As much as we like to call FG a sales disaster, I think Ford did the best they could but the damage was done
and without $200 mil from the government, we would have just got a BF III and much earlier exit from Aus.
Ford never built enough to sell in numbers. The FG did well but the large car segment was dying and Ford didn't have a sports wagon to prop its numbers up (mind you Terri was a better car for this purpose).
Old 20-10-2018, 08:41 PM   #389
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Yes, I had AU3 for a while. Great car, comfortable like my EF. Just UGLY. But you dont see the UGLY when driving. Not my favorite car, BA BF way better.

Xtreme Ford Tuning

Old 20-10-2018, 09:16 PM   #390
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Yes, I had AU3 for a while. Great car, comfortable like my EF. Just UGLY. But you dont see the UGLY when driving. Not my favorite car, BA BF way better.
Yes you do because the look of the interior was as bad as the exterior.
2 users like this post:
Closed Thread