Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 16-04-2020, 02:07 AM   #1
Minerva
Starter Motor

Default LS/LT reliability & cost of ownership?

G'day,

I've been looking at buying a LS/LT focus for a cheap runabout car as my current car is getting a bit long in the tooth.

Just curious as to how reliable these cars are and what the price of parts and repairs are compared to other makes?

I've been reading a lot of conflicting things online, some people love them and some people hate them it seems. My mechanic said "they're ok" but he mainly works on Japanese stuff.

Cheers
Minerva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2020, 09:31 AM   #2
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: LS/LT reliability & cost of ownership?

I made some comments on your whirlpool post but grinding through my memory the LS LT did have a fault.
They blow headlight bulbs every dunno 8000kms. Why. Don't know.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2020, 11:42 AM   #3
leakey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Never had the headlight fault, but a good reliable car, and well built. Like all modern cars, the headlights being plastic, do get that dreaded fade. If you do update them, just be 100% sure you are buying replacements for RHD, as the LHD lights have a slightly different angle where the bulbs sit, I am assuming for LH road camber.

Another known fault is the rear tail lights weren't sealed that well, and the LT especially let water into the spare wheel well via the tail light, down inside the carpeted boot sides and into the well. Easy fix though. Either new gasket, or silicone.

Paint fade, especially on black and silver can be an issue. My silver has fade on bonnet and roof, but doesn't effect drivability. If it doesn't bother you, you could leverage a real bargain with it.

The automatics had a 'clunk' when dropping back to first, but if the person you are buying it off took it back to Ford, in the day, they would have sorted that in a software update.

Are you looking manual or auto? I have a 2ltr manual and it flies!!!

So easy to update as well. I have all the ghia nice bits inside now, and XR5 seats and door panels. The late LT updates had great standard sound systems too. But you can upgrade to the Sony head unit for about $80 these days. Or chuck in a GPS unit.

Where are you based?
Old 18-04-2020, 11:50 AM   #4
leakey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just to add, like any Ford product, it seems OEM is always the go regarding spares.

Having said that I did my engine mounts, all three for $160 and it dramatically changed how the car ran especially at idle. Ive had it since new, and it got to a point where it was a bit rough at idle. Not engine wise, but vibration wise. Also replaced the serpentine belt and tensioning wheel for I think $90 all up.

Oh, that reminds me, there IS another fault which is an easy fix. There is an assembly that has two vacuum actuators mounted on it near the battery. For the life of me I cant think of it's name. It has a couple of vac lines going into it and two electrical plugs. My scanner was throwing back a weird fault that I couldnt seem to find, and one of our local experts said to replace this part, and it worked a treat. Again about $50 all up.

I really love my LT, but I'm living in Adelaide now, and left it in Sydney as I was commuting 2 days a week and wanted a car up there. Just sitting now, outside my sister's place, being started once a week.

Hence my question about where you were? - and whether you wanted a manual or auto.

Old 18-04-2020, 05:16 PM   #5
Minerva
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by leakey View Post

Hence my question about where you were? - and whether you wanted a manual or auto.

Cheers for going into detail about your experience.
I'm in Adelaide, definitely looking for manual. I was hoping for the hatchback but I'm not too fussed.
Minerva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2020, 09:51 PM   #6
leakey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I'm in Adelaide too, but the car is in Sydney currently. I want to drive it back here when the borders open again. Car is a silver 5 door manual hatchback with a full XR5 interior and lots of Ghia goodies like the chrome spot light covers, rubber coin box insert, centre console flip up door, chrome vent tabs, rear internal light and lights under the sun shades, that the other specs just dont have. Tight car still, and runs fantastically, but as I said has paint fade. Has zetec wheels and zetec rear bumper skirt too. Power front windows, manual rears.

keep you posted. Wont be asking much.
Old 25-07-2020, 12:18 PM   #7
prydey
Rob

I bought an LS Focus LX manual for my wife in 2010. It had 55k on the clock. We still have it. It currently has 146k on the clock and literally the only thing I have replaced, aside from maintenance items, is the alternator.

Never heard of the headlight thing. Ours did blow both bulbs many years ago, but i'm a big advocate of using OEM parts. Since putting Osrams back in, they haven't blown since. Easily 5 years ago.

Its been absolutely awesome in terms of reliable transport.

The only issue with it now is the clutch needs replacing. I suspect the slave cyl is leaking and wetting the clutch plate, as its a bit shuddery for the first few km until it warms up, then its fine. My mrs is sick of driving a manual too so may be looking to offload it soon.

Its also silver and no paint fading however it is kept garaged.