Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 30-05-2022, 01:27 PM   #1
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 
Default Cocos (Keeling) island

I'm reconsidering my current five year plan. Thinking (just thinking at this stage) of possibly opening up a business on Cocos (Keeling) Island and living there.

Told my mum about it the other day, and after doing some research, text her to let her know that the Islands are 2700km from Perth and the population is about 600 folk.

She text back saying a long distance few people. I asked her what the negatives were

Clearly, before I got more serious I'd be doing a LOT more research. For example I'd imagine cost of living would be high, especially food given that all of it needs to be brought in. Access to medical services would be another obvious challenge.

However, I'm just wondering if anyone here has been there before? Can you provide any details of your experience? Were you there for work/holiday? What did you do? How did you find it? etc.

Any and all information greatly received.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-05-2022, 01:35 PM   #2
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Re: Cocos (Keeling) island

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
I'm reconsidering my current five year plan. Thinking (just thinking at this stage) of possibly opening up a business on Cocos (Keeling) Island and living there.

Told my mum about it the other day, and after doing some research, text her to let her know that the Islands are 2700km from Perth and the population is about 600 folk.

She text back saying a long distance few people. I asked her what the negatives were

Clearly, before I got more serious I'd be doing a LOT more research. For example I'd imagine cost of living would be high, especially food given that all of it needs to be brought in. Access to medical services would be another obvious challenge.

However, I'm just wondering if anyone here has been there before? Can you provide any details of your experience? Were you there for work/holiday? What did you do? How did you find it? etc.

Any and all information greatly received.
Beautiful yatching destination.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-05-2022, 01:49 PM   #3
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Do they have a policy on asylum seekers?
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2022, 02:29 PM   #4
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A friend's partner has family up there. He wants to move up there for the laid back lifestyle but income is an issue. Very expensive, lots/most jobs are government/council related, if your business ties in with that then you are sweet.
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2022, 02:43 PM   #5
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

West Island or Home Island ?

Never been there but know someone who has a house on Home Island and the WA Fisheries Department where I used to work manages the fisheries there on behalf of the Commonwealth. We also friend with a couple who worked there as school teachers on West Island. I also met one of the Clunie Ross' who was operating several commercial fishing licenses based there. The reports from my work colleagues and the others is essentially it is a extremely beautiful, relaxing and friendly place but the sense of extreme isolation from the rest of the world can get to you and does some people's head in. Operating a business can be extremely difficult as local supplies of anything (including willing workers) is very limited as are freight services flights to (and from and between) the islands.
Old 31-05-2022, 11:41 AM   #6
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Beautiful yatching destination.
Looks like a beautiful spot for just about anything you'd want to do in a sub-tropical climate! But, yes, I can see why it's an attraction for yachties!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351
Do they have a policy on asylum seekers?
Not sure if that's tongue in cheek, a real question, if you've got it mixed up with Christmas Island or having a dig at the proximity to Indonesia! Just in case it's a real question, the Cocos is an Australian Territory, administered by the WA government. Hence, all Australian policies apply. That's part of the attraction for me, as I don't need to worry about all the issues associated with living in a foreign country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanovic
A friend's partner has family up there. He wants to move up there for the laid back lifestyle but income is an issue. Very expensive, lots/most jobs are government/council related, if your business ties in with that then you are sweet.
Well, my business idea is not associated with government/council, but associated with tourism. I've owned and operated a PWC for over 20 years now, and after doing a PWC tour in Langkawi a few years back, I thought that a place like Cocos would be an ideal place for me to establish just such a business. I could also marry that in with kayak tours to add a bit of diversity to the business. From what I can see, whilst there's businesses that operate water sports, none do PWC tours. Another option, with my aviation background, would be a job associated with the airfield/airlines operations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue
West Island or Home Island ?
Not sure, tbh, blue, but probs West. From what I have found out so far, Home island is mostly the local malay population. Which doesn't bother me, necessarily, just that West might be more appropriate for me, and my business options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue
Never been there but know someone who has a house on Home Island and the WA Fisheries Department where I used to work manages the fisheries there on behalf of the Commonwealth. We also friend with a couple who worked there as school teachers on West Island. I also met one of the Clunie Ross' who was operating several commercial fishing licenses based there. The reports from my work colleagues and the others is essentially it is a extremely beautiful, relaxing and friendly place but the sense of extreme isolation from the rest of the world can get to you and does some people's head in. Operating a business can be extremely difficult as local supplies of anything (including willing workers) is very limited as are freight services flights to (and from and between) the islands.
Thanks blue, Any chance your friend who has a house there would be interested in sharing their experience with me? I'd love the opportunity to talk to someone who has had first hand experience of living there!

Yes, I'd imagine the isolation would be a major issue; both in regards to the feeling of connection to those in the outside world and the impact on the cost of getting anything there. I wouldn't be sure until I was there for a while, but the idea of that sense of isolation is what attracts me to the place!

My business idea would be for a one man band operation: it would just be me running intimate (as in small, not the other kind ) tours with tourists. But, I'm not sure what volume of tourists they get. I don't think I'd need anywhere the level of income I have here as I'd be living a much simpler life, but I'd need to make sure there's enough there for me to be able to survive. Some more research required in that space, me thinks.

Virgin currently operate into Cocos (via Christmas Island) from Perth twice a week: Tuesdays and Fridays. It's a round trip, with flights departing Perth to Christmas Island, on to Cocos and then back to Perth. This video says that the flights used to operate Thursdays, but they must have rescheduled that due to the golf hazard

I did a search for real estate and it looks as though there's only been a handful of places on the market over the last couple of years. Don't think this place is what I'd be after tho The idea of a simpler lifestyle is VERY appealing!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 users like this post:
Old 31-05-2022, 03:55 PM   #7
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:

I did a search for real estate and it looks as though there's only been a handful of places on the market over the last couple of years. Don't think this place is what I'd be after tho The idea of a simpler lifestyle is VERY appealing!
There is always the south Pacific, I like the sound of Pitcairn Island, a friend sold up all his crap and bought a 46ft Ketch to sail the Islands of the Pacific. Last time we spoke he was in Upolu.

Old 31-05-2022, 04:27 PM   #8
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Hey Fox what a great idea, family and all ?
From that vid posted my wife would say forget it purely because I'd be golfing alot
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-05-2022, 04:35 PM   #9
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
There is always the south Pacific, I like the sound of Pitcairn Island, a friend sold up all his crap and bought a 46ft Ketch to sail the Islands of the Pacific. Last time we spoke he was in Upolu.
Whilst I'm there's lots of places in the tropics I would enjoy (I really enjoyed Penang and Langkawi, and Fiji (we stayed at Malolo Lailai Island) too), and whilst I recognise medical services on Cocos would be limited, I like the idea of the Australian medical standard service offered at a place like Cocos, as opposed to other nations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217
Hey Fox what a great idea, family and all ?
From that vid posted my wife would say forget it purely because I'd be golfing alot
Well, I'm single and my daughter will most likely be at uni in 2024, so my 5 year plan (which this would be a part of) would apply after she has flown the nest and I'm on my own. I could think of worse places to be on my own in

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4 users like this post:
Old 31-05-2022, 04:45 PM   #10
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
I like the idea of the Australian medical standard service offered at a place like Cocos, as opposed to other nations.
Hence British Pitcairn Island.

Old 07-06-2022, 03:50 PM   #11
flightstrike

I've only spent a few hours there waiting on Refueling and the weather to improve at XCH (It didn't!). It's an absolutely beautiful place. I hope to visit there properly one day.

It's amazing landing there. Ocean on both sides of the Runway, which is only just above sea level. It took me a while to realise that there were Golfers waiting for us to get off their Golf Course!!

2010 FG XR6 Ute
flightstrike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: