Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 25-02-2022, 06:43 AM   #1
Trevor 57
is now there

Default Russia v Ukraine

Looks like Vladimir wants to return to the glory days of the USSR - you could have seen this coming miles away, as soon as he got supreme power and no way of kicking him out, it was on
Old 25-02-2022, 07:44 AM   #2
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 
Default Re: Russia v Ukraine

Covid-19 shakes the world and as we start to see some light at the end of the tunnel... Putin-22 rocks the world.

It will be a long time till we return to the glory days of the world we once knew.
2 users like this post:
Old 25-02-2022, 08:21 AM   #3
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
Looks like Vladimir wants to return to the glory days of the USSR - you could have seen this coming miles away, as soon as he got supreme power and no way of kicking him out, it was on
Not much different to China, both wanting to regain "lost territories" (whether real or imagined) & create a unified mother country. Imagine the uproar if Great Britain suddenly decided to take back her lost countries...
Old 25-02-2022, 08:52 AM   #4
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

It’s quite upsetting.

My dearest is ethnic Russian (born and raised in Latvia, driven out by splintering of the USSR and mandated restoration of assets to disenfranchised Latvians) but 100% “Russian” by pedigree and outlook. Thinks Vladimir Vladimirovich* is a strong, capable, handsome saviour - this view will never change and it’s one held by millions aged 50-upwards in many former Soviet countries… We will be minimising discussions of the matter, I think.

The trending of Ukraine towards a more “open” society - less surveillance and baby steps towards a fair-dinkum membership of the EU, will be missed. The deed is done, it has cost the instigator far less than decades of embedded emissaries to undermine and corrupt (per the actions of another superpower) - we are shown up again as stupid, weak and selfish.

* This is tantamount to calling him “Junior”, a boy in the shadow of a man. Just as I refer to another historical warmonger as “The little man”.
8 users like this post:
Old 25-02-2022, 10:50 AM   #5
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B - CV8 View Post
Not much different to China, both wanting to regain "lost territories" (whether real or imagined) & create a unified mother country. Imagine the uproar if Great Britain suddenly decided to take back her lost countries...
I made a statement elsewhere that we need to be careful - while the world watches Russia v Ukraine China could very easily do what Japan did in WWII and make a move on the Pacific region
Old 25-02-2022, 11:52 AM   #6
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

"Ditch nucs and we'll look after you" promised the west.

Then they sent in Hunter Biden.

Russia, and China for that matter, knows that the west has leaders more focused on equity, gender, racism and all the other woke issues rather than the REAL issues. Indeed someone suggested that Biden is more concerned about Ukraine's border than his own border with Mexico.

The west did nothing over China developing covid with Fauci's assistance and accidentally/intentionally releasing it to the world because of the almighty $.

Big business wants China money.

Big business runs the west.

Big business wants war.

When big media shut down the POUS everyone laughed because it was only Trump. This was a big red flag that the world had changed and politicians, voted in by the people, were no longer in charge.

Who will risk their lives in the name of their country these days?

I'd suggest very few

Sorry about the ramblings of an old soldier but the west is fecked
Old 25-02-2022, 01:08 PM   #7
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

This user likes this post:
Old 25-02-2022, 01:50 PM   #8
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Old 25-02-2022, 01:50 PM   #9
Itsme
Experienced Member

Welcome to the New World Order; China & Russia the new supreme super powers.
The weak sanctions will do nothing while innocent people suffer, the western nations have became weak and gutless.
5 users like this post:
Old 25-02-2022, 02:05 PM   #10
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
Welcome to the New World Order; China & Russia the new supreme super powers.
The weak sanctions will do nothing while innocent people suffer, the western nations have became weak and gutless.
Honestly i kind of agree a little here.
I really think the western nations are scared, i didnt want to think that though.
The sanctions imposed are like a fly screen window on a submarine.
Not one country has put up their hands to help even though the land of the free has troops in neighbouring countries.
We've had so much time to plan for this and here we are sadly. The other concerning fact is how far west put put will go, beyond Ukraine who knows.

Regardless its pretty sad really, needless loss of life for nothing.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
Old 25-02-2022, 02:46 PM   #11
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
That's a smart approach. If you can't get through to the leadership, get through to the people. It could work. But I fear it won't; the Russian people have been brainwashed in to thinking that the Ukrainians are the evil ones.

I live about 300m, as the crow flies, from where my grandmother and grandfather rest in eternity. They emigrated from the Ukraine after World War 2 ended and they had been displaced from their homes, and families, by the Germans.

My grandfather never really talked about his time as a youngster in the Ukraine. But, even some 25 years after he passed, I know he hated the Russians with a passion. Why? I'm not sure. But, I swear I can hear the earth above his grave stirring with what is happening now in his country of birth.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
4 users like this post:
Old 25-02-2022, 03:08 PM   #12
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
That's a smart approach. If you can't get through to the leadership, get through to the people. It could work. But I fear it won't; the Russian people have been brainwashed in to thinking that the Ukrainians are the evil ones.

I live about 300m, as the crow flies, from where my grandmother and grandfather rest in eternity. They emigrated from the Ukraine after World War 2 ended and they had been displaced from their homes, and families, by the Germans.

My grandfather never really talked about his time as a youngster in the Ukraine. But, even some 25 years after he passed, I know he hated the Russians with a passion. Why? I'm not sure. But, I swear I can hear the earth above his grave stirring with what is happening now in his country of birth.
Maybe this link may explain your Grandfathers hatred of Russia; interesting commentary in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK-yJD_fAtk
Old 25-02-2022, 03:45 PM   #13
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post

Without too much online searching I can see there are many Russian people unhappy with what is occurring and they are protesting in big numbers
Old 25-02-2022, 03:58 PM   #14
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Old 25-02-2022, 04:21 PM   #15
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting

I read about 17% of Ukraine's population identify as Russians.

In 1994 a referendum took place in the Donetsk Oblast and the Luhansk Oblast, with around 90% supporting the Russian language gaining status of an official language alongside Ukrainian, and for the Russian language to be an official language on a regional level; however, the referendum was annulled by the Kyiv government.[25][26]

Could it get to the point one day that Melbourne for example has a referendum to recognize the Chinese language?
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Old 25-02-2022, 04:32 PM   #16
creative
I am Batman

Live cameras overlooking the city. It blows my mind that we can just watch all this unfold on youtube...
Rebuilt Boss260 with #Kellogs 1500hp forged and balanced crank#Manley forged flattop pistons with a 9.5/1cr#4340 forged h-beam rods with arp bolts#Clevit performance rod and main bearings#full ARP headstud kit#total seal rings#Mantic twin plate development clutch and lightened flywheel#Mellings uprated oil pump#Mainforce Performance Supercharger kit#AU motorsport 345mm big brake kit.

Now producing 369.7rwkw/496rwhp@6000 and 515ft/lb torque @ 11 psi.
Now sat on an engine stand going nowhere
3 users like this post:
Old 25-02-2022, 04:41 PM   #17
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
Maybe this link may explain your Grandfathers hatred of Russia; interesting commentary in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK-yJD_fAtk
I'm sure that has a bit to do with it, but I got the feeling a lot of what he felt was far more personal than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8
Without too much online searching I can see there are many Russian people unhappy with what is occurring and they are protesting in big numbers
Whilst there may be large numbers in absolute, as a percentage of the entire population, I'd think it'd still be pretty small. But, one can only hope that more Russian people feel it is the right thing to do to let their government know how they feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper Martini
Interesting

I read about 17% of Ukraine's population identify as Russians.

In 1994 a referendum took place in the Donetsk Oblast and the Luhansk Oblast, with around 90% supporting the Russian language gaining status of an official language alongside Ukrainian, and for the Russian language to be an official language on a regional level; however, the referendum was annulled by the Kyiv government.[25][26]

Could it get to the point one day that Melbourne for example has a referendum to recognize the Chinese language?
That's probably not a good analogy, as the history of the area and the 'ownership' of the land goes back a loooooonnnng way. And the 'ownership' has ebbed and flowed back and forth many times over that period. I'm trying to think of a more suitable analogy, but I'm struggling coming up with one.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
Old 25-02-2022, 04:50 PM   #18
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

I'm hearing second hand reports that Russians are protesting in Moscow over this.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Old 25-02-2022, 04:51 PM   #19
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/...ssia/100861160

Wonder what else these folks will get up to.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
Old 25-02-2022, 05:00 PM   #20
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post

RT on Foxtel is still working

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
Old 25-02-2022, 05:21 PM   #21
FairmontGS
WT WRC GT Line
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post

Pfft. Apparently Russian players can no longer get onto Frogger online.

That'll learn 'em.

Old 25-02-2022, 07:21 PM   #22
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The whole situation is crazy. While I understand Russia was concerned about expansion, Ukraine is not and will never be a member of NATO.

It would be stupid for the existing members to admit Ukraine to a binding pact knowing they have an existing conflict with Russia as it would potentially draw them in.

A lot of commentators have said that simply agreeing to these terms would have avoided this but on the other hand perhaps that ambiguity could have tempered Russia at the same time.

Another argument is that strong sanctions could have prevented this but they also give Russia nothing to lose. In any case sanctions should be a punishment against action you have taken not what you might do.

It's played out a lot like most people thought it would although much more. Putin wants to make sure he doesn't bite off more than he can chew though because any fallout on a NATO country is likely to trigger a response.

While we are not part of Europe and so far not any chance of getting involved directly, it does has potential consequences in our region in the future depending on what happens with China.
Old 25-02-2022, 07:29 PM   #23
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
Another argument is that strong sanctions could have prevented this but they also give Russia nothing to lose. In any case sanctions should be a punishment against action you have taken not what you might do.
Russia, China and even the EU have been slowly decoupling from the US dollar for quite some time now. I think there were even talks around establishing a secondary SWIFT like transaction system. Rise of the cryptos? At some stage, financial sanctions imposed by "the west" will have very little impact.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
Old 25-02-2022, 07:38 PM   #24
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Russia, China and even the EU have been slowly decoupling from the US dollar for quite some time now. I think there were even talks around establishing a secondary SWIFT like transaction system. Rise of the cryptos? At some stage, financial sanctions imposed by "the west" will have very little impact.
Yes they have been insulating themselves for some time since they have already under a lot of sanctions.

The only reason they have not been booted out of SWIFT is because of the blowback on everyone.

If there is no direct threat to your country, trying to sell any negative fallout to your country as a leader is a tough task.
Old 25-02-2022, 09:19 PM   #25
George V
Donating Member
Donating Member3

It is sad series of events, still unfolding and can only get worse for the inhabitants.

The worst part in my opinion is - the school yard "fight fight" type support provided by others to Ukrainians and then do practically nothing. There are plenty of pundits with their analysis on everything but I feel for the locals.

On that note, there is a YouTube lecture by a University of Chicago seriously smart Professors. The scariest part is - this was recorder in Sep 2015.

link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrMiSQAGOS4

Regards,
George V
3 users like this post:
Old 25-02-2022, 09:35 PM   #26
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you want an example of how much Ukraine will fight, take the example of Zmiinyi Island. If reports are true, they had no chance in hell and still told Russia to get ****ed. They are all dead now rather than surrender.
3 users like this post:
Old 25-02-2022, 09:38 PM   #27
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
That's generally not what is meant by sanctions.
The world could bring Russia to its knees, if we had the balls and were prepared to stomach the fallout.
But we don't.
Nobody is willing to weather the recession it would probably trigger.
Plus there's no chance of getting China to play ball, and without their cooperation, western sanctions would simply benefit China.
2 users like this post:
Old 25-02-2022, 09:49 PM   #28
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
That's generally not what is meant by sanctions.
The world could bring Russia to its knees, if we had the balls and were prepared to stomach the fallout.
But we don't.
Nobody is willing to weather the recession it would probably trigger.
Plus there's no chance of getting China to play ball, and without their cooperation, western sanctions would simply benefit China.
Whats funny is that even a few NATO countries have not only the economy but the manpower to face up to Russia if they'd get their **** together even without the US. Even Australia is going to overtake Russia in GDP soon enough

Macron wanted the EU army so here is his chance to step up and actually do it
2 users like this post:
Old 26-02-2022, 08:34 AM   #29
HIPO
Al

Russia is simply taking out the tumors.........
3 users like this post:
Old 26-02-2022, 09:47 AM   #30
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIPO View Post
Russia is simply taking out the tumors.........
Lol

“RUUSSSiA, there was no collusion, Putin is a genius”
Closed Thread