Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-09-2011, 08:22 PM   #1
Swedishmoose

Default Issues with instrument cluster

Hi there,

I was actually browsing for a code reader online that would work on an AU (which seems to be a problem just by itself) and while I was browsing I found a pdf document which had a section with some AU problems.

This was one of the worse ones and I was wondering if anyone has ever experienced that:

The Ford AU Series (6cyl 4.0L) is susceptible to problems affecting the instrument cluster. Some of the symptoms include: Gauges on instrument cluster fl ickering, especially the speedometer and temperature gauge. Digital display on instrument cluster becomes unstable for example; large change in kilometre reading or odd characters and or symbols. Initial response is to condem the instrument cluster as faulty, but, generally there are two common causes of these problems.
Firstly, a faulty ignition coil can cause back feed (inductance) through the ECU consequently disrupting instrument cluster operation i.e. fl ickering gauges.
Although engine performance is unaffected it can be assumed i.e. no missfire
for example, assumingly the coil pack is O.K. Secondly, alternator phase shift
introducing a corrupted (Noisey) signal the vehicles power supply can also affect instrument cluster operation, notably this problem affects the digital display on the instrument cluster, however, the alternator warning lamp indicates no apperent malfunction and remains off. If any faults discussed are timely rectifi ed, high probability instrument cluster will return to normal operational state.
Prolonging rectification of causes generally results to terminal damage beyond
repair and replacement remains the only option.

It sounds somewhat extreme and after reading that I was actually thinking of just replacing the coil and alternator in order to protect the instrument cluster as both components are actually relatively cheap to replace (compared to an instrument cluster).

And if anyone knows a code reader that works on an AU Falcon....well, I'd be happy to know about it.

Thanks

The Moose

Swedishmoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2011, 08:29 PM   #2
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Issues with instrument cluster

this one works on an AU http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/190396645...84.m1423.l2649

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2011, 08:48 PM   #3
Swedishmoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6

Arvo mate....

thanks for the quick reply.
That was the one I found as well online but I was so confused with the facts.

The plug on our AU is OBD II compatible but the protocoll of the ECU is coded differently and so on and so forth.

What is your experience with it?
Is there anything it can't do ?

I think data logging isn't possible, right ?

Oh...and have your heard of these instrument cluster issues?
The only thing our LCD display does (odometer) is that it slightly changes the brightness when you have the indicator on (it changes with the rythm and frequency of the indicator relay) and when you step on the brake pedal. The moment the brake lights go on they must use so much power that it influences the brightness of the LCD display.

Well..thanks again

The Moose
Old 15-09-2011, 08:50 PM   #4
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

Yeah, all Falcon's do that..... The old AU Wagon did...
Old 15-09-2011, 09:02 PM   #5
Swedishmoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrghiawagon
Yeah, all Falcon's do that..... The old AU Wagon did...

Hi mate...

yeah....I don't worry to much about that but what has worried me a bit was what I have posted above.

I mean that the coil or alternator can cause serious damage to the cluster is somewhat serious and I really don't wanna fiddle with cluster too much.

Even if I had to replace it I would like to put the old odometer kilometers on it to keep our car as originalas possible.
A cluster from the wrecker would be a solution but a re-set of the odometer to the actual reading would be impossible.

Cheers

The Moose
Old 15-09-2011, 09:18 PM   #6
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that unit will only read fault codes and clear them but I hven't found anything else as the AU uses "ford corporate protocol" which has elements of OBD II but is not fully compatible

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2011, 09:22 PM   #7
Swedishmoose

Hi there,

that really seems to be a problem with the AU because it is not fully compatible.

But reading out codes and clearing them is very helpful and it give someone at least an idea what could be faulty.

cheers
The Moose
Old 24-03-2022, 11:21 PM   #8
jfcpeng
Starter Motor

Yes I have a faulty display and changing the coil got rid of backfires. I was told by mechanic to disconnect plug on the display and leave to return to default then put back together and if it does not work get a new display. Thanks for warning me that doing nothing can damage the ECU.
jfcpeng is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post