Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 14-11-2010, 06:23 PM   #1
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default ESS system

Hey guys just wondering what the ESS systems is on au's never heard of it before so thought i'd find out from an au guru

Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2010, 06:25 PM   #2
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ESS Auto i think you mean, was only on the t series cars,

Quote:
BTR Electronic 4 Speed with Adaptive Shift Strategy and ESS sequential shift buttons on steering wheel. Strengthened internals with revised valving.

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2010, 06:43 PM   #3
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its like paddle shift for the auto's. Theres a uitton on eithe side of the steering wheel to change up or down gears. Pretty sure any car that had it had to sacrifice radio controls or cruise control (not enough contacts on the clock spring for everything). People have tried adapting it to non ESS AU's but Im not aware of any that have accomplished it, probably because all T-series parts are hard to find and expensive, plus the fact that it isnt just the buttons, I think the ESS transmissions got a different valve body.
Jack91 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2010, 07:24 PM   #4
adrian k
adrian

Yep, thats correct, its Electronic Sport Shift and was only fitted to the T series. The Momo wheels were custom built with 2 buttons of different sizes on each side of the wheel, where the little flat pad inserts can be found on std Momos. The radio controls is sacrificed for this. I think it could work on any gear box, but the T series did receive different valving etc, but this was to do with feel and performance not the ESS (as far as i know). Its takes a bit of getting used to at first, but once mastered its very good, aside from not having to take your hands off the wheel to change gears, especially handy on the track, the gear changes are fast and punchy. there are one or two guys trying to replicate the ESS system but not sure on their progress.
T3 TS50 #17 275kW
AU3 XR8 SVP 220kW
adrian k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-11-2010, 10:15 PM   #5
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks for the info guys
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2010, 08:51 PM   #6
Ride
Stay Classy ™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVO_XR
Its like paddle shift for the auto's. Theres a uitton on eithe side of the steering wheel to change up or down gears. Pretty sure any car that had it had to sacrifice radio controls or cruise control (not enough contacts on the clock spring for everything). People have tried adapting it to non ESS AU's but Im not aware of any that have accomplished it, probably because all T-series parts are hard to find and expensive, plus the fact that it isnt just the buttons, I think the ESS transmissions got a different valve body.
Actually I got it working a couple months ago in my AU II Fairmont Ghia, if I'm not mistaken I have the only non T Series with ESS fully functioning.
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2010, 09:58 PM   #7
adrian k
adrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride
Actually I got it working a couple months ago in my AU II Fairmont Ghia, if I'm not mistaken I have the only non T Series with ESS fully functioning.
Was it difficult to get working, would love to add it to my XR8
T3 TS50 #17 275kW
AU3 XR8 SVP 220kW
adrian k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2010, 09:59 PM   #8
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

Quote:

not for long!!!! haha

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2010, 11:15 PM   #9
fourl6
AU Falcon Man

Quote:
Quote:
5.6L 342ci T3 V8, Meteorite, 4/4 Brembos, T3 Pursuit rims, Koni adjustables
although you claim "non T Series" your getting pretty damb close

2015 SZ MkII Ford Territory TS
Aero Blue, RWD Petrol, Standard Sat Nav.

2013 TF Ford Kuga Ambiente
Panther Black, AWD, 6 Speed Auto, 1.6lt ecoBoost Turbo Petrol.

Was
2012 FG Mk2 Ford Falcon XR6
Swift Green,6 Speed Auto, Stock...

2001 AUIII Ford Falcon Forte
Genuine T2 TS50 bodykit, 18" BF Cobras, Boge and Eibach Suspension and Complete AU2 Fairmont Ghia Interior

1994 EF Ford Fairmont
Gun Metal Grey, Lumpy Straight 6
fourl6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2010, 11:54 PM   #10
Ride
Stay Classy ™

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian k
Was it difficult to get working, would love to add it to my XR8
It was a bit of a pain in the ****, the hardest bit for me was the wiring since I already had all the right hardware (T3 auto gearbox, T3 ECU, T3 ESS Momo steering wheel).

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR1STO
not for long!!!! haha
Might not be the only for too much longer, but was the first

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourl6
although you claim "non T Series" your getting pretty damb close
Yeah there's a few bits that I have of which I've been quite lucky to source, but the idea was never to make a replica. I still consider my AU to be the Ghia that I originally bought just with a few mechanical enhancements. To be picky, the Brembos that I have were brand new to suit a FG and the Koni on-car adjustables are the Yellows which were never fitted to the T series, only the Red's were.

I've got a few more mods in the coming months to further differentiate mine and set it apart.
Old 14-04-2022, 07:22 PM   #11
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: ESS system

sorry for the huge necro but was a hack ever found for this?
falconnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2022, 11:17 AM   #12
Ride
Stay Classy ™

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconnut View Post
sorry for the huge necro but was a hack ever found for this?
You'll have to be more specific by 'hack'. I proved it could be done, you just need the right ECU programming, wiring and if you're picky, change a solenoid in the gearbox (from memory a certain gear sequence doesn't hold either when upshifting or downshifting)
Old 15-04-2022, 05:57 PM   #13
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride View Post
You'll have to be more specific by 'hack'. I proved it could be done, you just need the right ECU programming, wiring and if you're picky, change a solenoid in the gearbox (from memory a certain gear sequence doesn't hold either when upshifting or downshifting)
sweet id love to know how to do that exactly, going to flash and mod my ecu and loom anyway for a turbo build thanks for the reply.
falconnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post