Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 10-05-2022, 11:43 PM   #1
Footrot
2018 MD Mondeo Wagon TDCI

Smile Recent Mondeo purchase

Contrary to my personality, looks like I have put the cart before the horse in buying my Mondeo.

Recently decided that the 2006 Territory (got me onto Ford Forums) was beyond keeping anymore, with issues that would not go away, and my faithful 2004 Magna might not be able to be counted on, in consultation with the treasurer, decided to buy another car to keep company with another recent purchase.
To keep it short, due to circumstances the Terri ended up in Melbourne, and having travelled down recently to visit family and decided rather than offload a car that had it’s issues onto an unsuspecting private buyer, I would trade it in and buy another car.

How did I choose a Mondeo ? Simple really, no research : (as would normally do extensively) but decided on diesel with some torque to pull a heavy duty trailer, or my smallish centre console tinnie, a station wagon for convenience and at a reasonable price for the budget I had (boy used car prices )………and something that looked good…..Mondeo right?
So on to carsales while in Melbourne pick one, look at it, don’t even drive it (I did say out of character) and had it freighted back to Brisbane.

Then on to Mondeo forum to do my research oops cart before horse, and as for all forums as expected threads on issues to scare you as it is for all makes and models, but also from what I have read so far many happy owners also.
However have to say so far not disappointed with my purchase but will have a few questions in the future to keep it in good working order and avoid problems, and looking forward to any wisdom I can glean from the forum.

Footrot
Old 12-05-2022, 02:02 PM   #2
Papug

Default Re: Recent Mondeo purchase

Congratulations on your purchase. You will not be disappointed and will enjoy many years in a very comfortable and reliable car.

Regards
Greg
Papug is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2022, 10:10 PM   #3
Footrot

Hey Greg, thank you for the reassurance about choosing a Mondeo, much appreciated and I certainly hope you are 100% correct.
So far more than happy overall, but a different experience having not owned a diesel before, but getting the hang of driving it differently to petrol cars.

Was super unhappy driving it back from the freight depot, thinking, I hope there is something wrong with this that can be fixed.
Started with a wheel balance rotation and alignment, and it was way out, and then drove like a whole different car all together so much happier, and thoroughly surprised at the difference.

Now need to do some additional research to improve the headlights with new bulbs, replace the blown left rear fog light, fix the squeak from the door seals when backing out of the driveway with the twisting, (75% better since trying the AutoGlym vinyl and rubber conditioner fix: thanks google), and get the 60k service done and then look out Elon, will have a rocket of my own.
Thanks again Greg and happy carefree motoring to you.
Regards
Footrot
Old 13-05-2022, 09:34 PM   #4
thebigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footrot View Post
...replace the blown left rear fog light...
Hey mate.
Welcome to the Mondeo Club !
Don't worry about the left rear fog light, there isn't one. Have a good look inside the two circles, they're blanks. LED's on the right hand side only.
Enjoy your new ride.
thebigd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2022, 01:09 PM   #5
Footrot

Now thebigd, that is why it is a good thing being a member of a forum and having the members helping a newbie out.

Thank you for that startling information. Now from the rear at night in heavy fog, drivers will think they are following a motorbike
It will save me going and asking for a left hand rear foglight, no not a right hand one just a left one ! Still no luck all these years being able to purchase that rare and elusive left hand screwdriver
Serves me right for ***-u-me-ing and not looking closely.

Was intending using the rear fog lights, sorry my bad, fog light, as a extra light for the poor vision from the reversing camera and not so good reversing lights when reversing at night.
Not criticisms, merely observations!
Thanks thebigd. One less thing to do this weekend!
Footrot
Old 14-05-2022, 08:20 PM   #6
T-Pak Addict
Jim

I have a 2016 MD Ambiente Wagon also....

Helpful hints
Join Mondeo MK5 UK on Facebook, Very knowledgable folks...
Contact HNA supplies. Andy Brooks on Mondeo Mk5 UK and he will sort you for your lights (LED upgrade) He is the go to guy for Mondeo Lights.
Look up Alan Howatt on Youtube.. Mechanic in UK and they have Mondeo's as Taxi's.

Just a note MD Mondeo's are Mk5 in the UK and a wagon is an Estate...

Had mine a year now and love it.
Have done a couple upgrades with autolights and fitted reverse camera on the wifes MD (cos mine had it)...

The Old Daily.......2003 Octane BA Taxi Pak Egas Falcon Build Thread
T-Pak Addict is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2022, 11:02 PM   #7
Footrot

Hi T-Pak Addict.
Thanks for taking the time to post some hints that will definitely be helpful, and with two Mondeo’s, your advice is welcome. Dang, now will have to join Facebook!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Pak Addict View Post
I have a 2016 MD Ambiente Wagon also....
Contact HNA supplies. Andy Brooks on Mondeo Mk5 UK and he will sort you for your lights (LED upgrade)...
How have you found the LED lights in general, not compared to standard but just in general.
I had made a vague half hearted enquiry to Ford Service about “upgrading” lights and they said that would void any remaining warranty, (I believe mine snuck in for one more year of Ford warranty. Secondly they made a vague point about possibly causing confusion with the computer or electrical function, not sure what).
Be sure I will be following your advice before a dealer, but the warranty claim I will check out with Ford but lights will have to be improved and have contemplated a small light bar https://ultra-vision.com.au/product/...led-light-bar/ that looked like a good quick fix.
Obviously Andy Brooks will be all over the the rest of it.

Lastly was the camera you fitted aftermarket or genuine?
Thanks
Footrot
Old 15-05-2022, 02:00 AM   #8
T-Pak Addict
Jim

It was aftermarket but added to sync2 with forscan and elm327 there's a write up on Mk5 Mondeo UK.

I have Led on my low beam only but will be ordering a full set from Andy Brooks. I am using Auxbeam H7 and while they are a definite improvement, I think they could be better.

This user likes this post:
Old 16-07-2022, 01:19 PM   #9
T-Pak Addict
Jim

Hey Footrot hows the Mondeo going?

Yay its tax time so ordered a full complement of Leds for the front...
H7, H15 and H11... I will let you know what they are like when they arrive and are fitted.. Wasnt cheap at $300 for all 6 globes tho.

I think my current H7 Auxbeams are only 2000 lumens each but the new Andy Brooks ones are 8000 lumens each, so it should be sensational!!

H15's are a pain as there is limited room and most ebays ones are to big to even fit in the Mondeo, That was the biggest expense getting the ones from Andy as they are 75 pounds for a set ($130AU)..

I do alot of night driving, and I like good lights.
How they got those candles to pass ADR's is beyound me.. High beam is bloody woeful..