Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 22-04-2022, 02:19 PM   #1
Doddski
Starter Motor

Default MB XR5 Headunit

Hi all,
I changed the headunit from the factory Sony unit, to my Alpine ILZ702D last week.
Install went easy enough - I used the Aerpro facia and wiring adaptor kits to make it all plug and play.
Unit, steering wheel remote works, and the bluetooth is all working correctly as well.
This unit will also do Android Auto via USB, the unit requires that the park brake wire is connected up to the car.
In my last car I had this unit in, (2002 Mitsubishi Magna AWD) - the electronics where much simpler, and the loom I needed to tap into was just there / nice and close for the hand brake.
Question for those that have done it, where is the handbrake wire that I will need to tap to, so I can get all the functions of the headunit again. The car wont have a hissy fit?

I want to do some wiring tidy work (the adaptor loom is 51596165156.6M long, and fitting it all behind the dash was a tough call, but I got it all in there with some convincing.) I have planned out in my mind how I will sort this out when i run the USB cable to the head unit.
Doddski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2022, 02:43 PM   #2
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Default Re: MB XR5 Headunit

Earth the hand brake trigger wire in the patch loom
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-04-2022, 04:55 PM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post
Earth the hand brake trigger wire in the patch loom
Bingo - and get to use functionality that you're only supposed to use when the car is parked
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2022, 05:27 PM   #4
Doddski
Starter Motor

Thank you
Old 22-04-2022, 07:44 PM   #5
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Bingo - and get to use functionality that you're only supposed to use when the car is parked
Exactly! What doesn't work until the handbrake is on?

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk
Old 26-12-2022, 07:50 PM   #6
Doddski
Starter Motor

So I finally got around to pulling the head unit back out again, and earthing the handbrake wire for this.
I have the full functionality of the Android Auto in the car now - which came in quite handy when we was down in Perth a couple of weeks ago. (I know my way around the City easy enough, but it is handy when you want a specific place to get to)

While I was at it, tidied up some of the wiring behind the dash, and changed out the USB cable and relocated the USB connector on the extension lead, so its easy accessible if I ever need at it
This user likes this post: