Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 05-07-2021, 05:58 PM   #1
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Power-Fold mirrors for WQ Fiesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier View Post
We know that the Mk2 Focus (LS Focus in Australia) has the same scalp as the WQ XR4. But the LS Focus has a few options that the Fiesta never came with - namely indicator lamps and puddle lights. Good to know, but otherwise too hard to do to the Fiesta - right? There is no cut-out in the Fiesta mirror to fit the indicator lense, and there's no allowance for the puddle lamp.
This is something I wouldn't mind looking at for the XR4. Power-Fold mirrors with Indicators and Puddle-Lamps. Especially if the power-fold can be set to automatic.

If I buy Focus units, are they a straight fit onto the Fiesta?
Or can I graft Focus mirrors onto the Fiesta base?
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2021, 09:50 AM   #2
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Default Re: Power-Fold mirrors for WQ Fiesta

A few people are reporting, and I myself have had the same experrience, that when you buy the powerfold mirrors from an aftermarket supplier for a Fiesta, they already come with the mouldings for the LS Focus indicator and puddle lamps in the body shell of the mirror, and you just need to grab the LS Focus scalps, and some LS lenses off the interwebs - all of which can be found on Aliexpress.

The trick will be in the wiring. The Fiesta comes with an 8 pin connector. With the powerfold in use, 7 of those are required, so you only have one pin free - for indicator or puddle, but not both. The solution would be to acquire the 10 pin versions of the connector shell from the same connector family - which is easy enough to do if you know the parts. I think I posted those parts in anoher thread somewhere which we could dig out.

The bigger struggle comes from getting the wiring off the body loom and through the A-Pillar junction. There are 3 or so pins in the A-Pillar junction connector - but I do not yet know the part numbers for the pins that could be inserted into those vacant positions. Getting separate wires routed through there is the fallback - but they'd always be vulnerable and it would look a bit messy.

The mirror position switch needs to be replaced as well, so you can powerfold the mirrors manually. But if you want the mirrors to auto-close and open when you stop and start the car, you need to reprogram your car using Forscan and a cheap switchable ELM tool from eBay - which is actually very easy to do.

Lukeyson
Old 07-07-2021, 08:39 PM   #3
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, I guess I was hoping for a short-cut. Buy some Focus mirrors from a wreck, and graft them onto my car.

I'm always a little trepidatious buy after-market parts like mirrors, as I have found in the past that sometimes they are a less-than-perfect fit, and/or the plastic is poor quality and loses it's blackness.
And knowing my luck I'd find the ones without the cut-outs.

And yes, the connectors.
I guess my first preference would be to upgrade the car to the Focus 10-pin. But I suppose I could just as easily upgrade both sides.
Or even just add a separate plug for the lights.

What source would you connect the puddle-lamps to?
Old 07-07-2021, 11:38 PM   #4
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

The A-Pillar plastic trim on the Focus and Fiesta are different. So the Focus won't just bolt on to the Fiesta. The Focus Body/Shells, however, since they are otherwise identical, should be swappable onto the base. In fact you can even buy just the MkII Focus shells from Aliexpress - there's 3 or 4 screws that would let you swap them.

The powerfold motor, however, is part of the base.....and getting a base apart with it's spring-loaded bits is not for those of us without custom tools.

The puddle lamps would be ideally patched to the courtesy lamp circuit - which is triggered when you open the doors and stays on for the little while after you close the doors and then fade out.

Lukeyson
Old 15-07-2021, 07:04 PM   #5
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks Luke

Do you know who made your aftermarket mirrors?

Seems like ordering them is the place to start.
Old 16-07-2021, 11:11 PM   #6
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

I bought Abakus Mirrors from www.onlinecarparts.co.uk - the 1213M05 for the LH and the 1213M06 for the RH. I think when I ordered them I got 20% discount as well - might have been the removal of VAT for overseas orders but not sure. (And to think we complain about 10% GST eh?). Shipping would have been a bitch, except I had a friend in the UK at the time coming back and he put them in his luggage. 2019 - when travel was a thing.

I then bought Focus MKII mirror scalps from AliExpress with the indicator cutout, as well as the Indicator lenses and the puddle lamp lenses. AliExpress also has the mirror controller with the 'manual fold' central position. Assembly not yet complete since they're destined for the 'project' car and not the road car.

Luke