Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-06-2008, 06:19 PM   #1
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Default Petrol Price crisis......

Well.............I'm sure we've all discussed this before in drips over several different threads and topics..........but recently it was announced that the new carbon tax could add anything up to an additional 30C per litre.............and in the foreseeable future.

As it stands......we're all staring down the barrel ( pardon the pun ) at approx $2.00 per litre by the end of the year.

As the owner of a gas guzzling BFGT290........It's really biting into my enjoyment of the beast and has seriously curbed my cruise time.

what the hell are we all gonna do when it costs us $120+ to fill up our average large cars and $90.00+ to fill up your average small car.

I used to drive home from work at least times a week to get out of the office, have a good home cooked lunch and get a real break from the office moronics..............now I find I can save around $100 a month by just staying at work and eating in the lunch room............friggin hell.............I never thought I'd see the day where our lives are being so incrementally impacted in such a short period of time. It costs me approx $24.00 more to fill the car than it did around the same time last year.

I also see that companies like BPR are now offering ECONOMY tunes for the BOSS powered cars as well !!!!!!!!! Sign of the times I guess.

I won't be selling up............yet...........but I know heaps that are seriously considering hybrids and even using VESPAS to do the rounds that they normally would have done in their large car.....

LPG fitters are booked 3 - 4 months in advance and even LPG is approaching ridiculous prices in many fringe suburban areas.

Are we fast approaching the point where running a car on a daily basis is becoming the bastion and privilege of the wealthy whilst the rest of us penny pinch to cope.........????

I've definitely noticed an obvious decline in the number of cars on the road in both peak and off peak hours..........I wonder what all those extra people are doing to get around now..........

Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2008, 06:29 PM   #2
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate i tell ya right now, if they slap another 30cpl TAX on fuel that we the public already pay TAX on twice, I suspect all hell will brake loose.

Don't even get me started on the Carbon trading Bull, Just another way of making money.
Old 28-06-2008, 06:43 PM   #3
BAxtER
ive been 4490'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green X
Mate i tell ya right now, if they slap another 30cpl TAX on fuel that we the public already pay TAX on twice, I suspect all hell will brake loose.

Don't even get me started on the Carbon trading Bull, Just another way of making money.
completly agree...this carbon tax is just another money making machine for Governments and large organisations.
www.taipanmotorsport.com.au
BAxtER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2008, 06:50 PM   #4
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAxtER
completly agree...this carbon tax is just another money making machine for Governments and large organisations.

Probably ???????...................But its gonna happen...........a bi product of the KYOTO protocol.

Either way............we're all gonna be paying HEAPS more than what we're paying now. I'm starting to struggle now so I can only imagine what it'll be like in 12 months time..................and especially for the poor underprivileged............the unemployed............the low paid...........students and others in the NON BILLIONAIRE club.

I see car pooling and alternative transport ( bike riding to work etc )as the key for short term relief for those that can hack that sort of thing. LPG fitters are doing a roaring trade............
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2023, 11:32 PM   #5
jinksie

Smile Re: Petrol Price crisis......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green X View Post

haha CORRECTION "another way to 'take' money" straight out theft. How it is done is like this; a little at a time. The new carbon tax will be a little bit that no one will worry about.
jinksie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2023, 06:17 PM   #6
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Petrol Price crisis......

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinksie View Post
haha CORRECTION "another way to 'take' money" straight out theft. How it is done is like this; a little at a time. The new carbon tax will be a little bit that no one will worry about.
French yellow vests started up after raising of further tax on diesel, which most workers use there - and proposed bans of diesels in town areas... C'est le merde...
Old 28-06-2008, 06:29 PM   #7
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Hi ESP, you arent the only one feeling the pinch, the F6 isnt as economical as people make it out to be!
I think it will come to the point where future generations will consider whether they really need a car or not.. Its much like the housing crisis for first home buyers, I believe people will adapt and begin to live in apartments etc in Australia and even in Adelaide. Luckily I have just bought my house and on a nice healthy block size, but it doesnt leave me with much room for running my car and I really need to think about those long distance trips and cruises now. Not considering moving onto something more economical for now, but the right foot is beginning to show some economy control..
Old 28-06-2008, 06:40 PM   #8
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Agreed here, my TE gets drivin to work and back thats it. So going for a cruise on the w/e is out of the question most of the time. Which is sad becasue i dont get a chance to enjoy the car for what i bought it for, driving.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2008, 06:42 PM   #9
boss-290

Its already costing me $65 for a full tank to fill up my Pulsar. I get around 580kms to a tank.

Its gonna be tough filling up for $90. Especially on my Apprentice Mechanic wage.
Old 28-06-2008, 06:45 PM   #10
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Would it be out of line to say buy some economical used car to go to the shops and work and use the pride and joy for fun driving?? At least if the economobile gets scratched at the shops you wont care.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2008, 06:52 PM   #11
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Would it be out of line to say buy some economical used car to go to the shops and work and use the pride and joy for fun driving?? At least if the economobile gets scratched at the shops you wont care.
Problem is, the little cash you save on petrol probably wont make up for the extra insurance, registration and maintenance costs of another car. plus their is the problem of having room for it.

If we had a half decent public transport system we could have a viable alternative, but the joke our system is now, for for many people public transport simply is not an option.
Houses are going up faster then infrastructures, which is going to be a big problem, the government is getting too greedy.
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-07-2008, 05:24 PM   #12
blackauman
Gotta Love Manual V8!!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
This is what takes place at my place. The XR stays in the shed a lot of the time, this has a few effects:-

1. Excel gets binged at supermarket, don't really care.
2. Costs less in fuel.
3. Keeps Km's down on XR.
4. Makes XR more enjoyable to drive because not in it all the time (makes it special everytime).
  • Tickford Snorkle
  • K&N Air Filter
  • HI-Flow Cats
  • Sports Exhaust
  • 7" Touch Screen DVD Player
  • 12" Sub and 4ch Amp
blackauman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2008, 07:55 PM   #13
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Guys, sorry to say, but it's just something you are going to have to deal with.

Start with what you already have. You can increase your km per tank by changing your driving style to a more sedate one, removing all extra weight and kepping things like alingment and a slightly higher than factory specified tyre pressure in check. Got roof racks that get used once in a blue moon? remove them. Buy petrol Tue evening or Wed morning before the weekly price hike of 10c/L.

This alone can get you an extra 15-20% distance for $ spent.

Having a second economical car is not an option to be honest. Running costs are far more than just petrol in the tank. A cheap scooter will still end up costing you around $50 a week, so a cheapish yet reliable second hand car would be around $100-120 a week at least. So unless you do 1000km a week it's not worth getting a second car.

Public transport is shite house, but for me it's actually cheaper to drive the car to work than catch the train. Driving also saves around 40 minutes a day travel time. Our decision makers should see how some other countries implement and use mass rapid transport... what we have on offer is shameful to say the least.

Just take the extra money needed from somewhere else? 2 less drinks at the pub a week, 1 less night out on the town a month, 1 extra family meal cooked at home every week?

If selling your big 6 is on the cards, do it now, not when prices are $2 a litre and every man and his dog are trying to offload their large cars.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2018, 05:16 PM   #14
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

Default Re: Petrol Price crisis......

When we bought our current six pot car, we were coming from a small four cylinder hatchback. Really loved that car, but keeping it as a second car didn't stack up financially. Our weekly spend on fuel doubled, but it's only a part of the total ownership cost.

Registration,insurance and servicing for a second car can easily be a few thousand a year. That buys quite a bit of mileage in our larger, more comfortable, and safer six cylinder car. So I reluctantly let the old car go.

If geopolitical turmoil means shipping lanes are disrupted and petrol is rationed, the end result will be the same. We'll all be driving a lot less, there will be shortages of essentials as we are so truck dependant, and the size of the engine under our (cold) bonnets won't be terribly relevant.

Last edited by anobserver; 11-05-2018 at 05:22 PM.
anobserver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2008, 08:00 PM   #15
Mark^^
Two-Spirits

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
what the hell are we all gonna do when it costs us $120+ to fill up our average large cars
Dude that already NOW, not the future. My last two fill on the Territory have been at $120, but that's with 98 ULP as thats what my tune is set for.

I also live out of town, so not choice to use public transport or other method of getting to work or town.
Mark^^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2008, 08:02 PM   #16
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

We'll live. Stop buying so much and you'll be right. At least we still have cars and live in a decent country.
Old 28-06-2008, 08:06 PM   #17
JAZSXY
Parts Fiend

Saudi Arabia increases production by 200,000 barrels a day, Nigeria decrease production by 300,000. And your telling me its not about the coin.

There is a simple saying. What goes up must come down. Maybe not this year or the year after, but a credit crunch is coming bigtime. Economies are going to go bust and we will all be left to sit and wonder how the f***n hell it happened.

frenzal56, falconxr, loosecannon, lima_been, bo5ton, Mardk, Chapter Four, leakey, POELWYK, Dman4.0, rayban76, tutor, PridenJoy, Aplito Futura, sbutler, Bosko, storta1, portokatsiki, AUte, 5.8, xxxg, FTW-302, LeadFoot81, Peuty, BillM, Sox, needfordspeed, watejs06, CATXR8
JAZSXY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2008, 08:27 PM   #18
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The only crisis I can see is when we actually run out of oil and they can't produce any more petrol to put in my ute.

Until that time I'l keep on enjoying the noise of the BOSS every time I drive it;.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2008, 01:08 AM   #19
cupic
Nikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAZSXY
Saudi Arabia increases production by 200,000 barrels a day, Nigeria decrease production by 300,000. And your telling me its not about the coin.

There is a simple saying. What goes up must come down. Maybe not this year or the year after, but a credit crunch is coming bigtime. Economies are going to go bust and we will all be left to sit and wonder how the f***n hell it happened.

If a Beduin shepherd farts in arabia, oil rocking up to $US300 pbl

This is all horse crap the arabs ruskies and the has the globe by the balls

Any excuse to print there own money is a good enough reason to jack up the price.Hurricanes in the Mexician gulf WTF only accounts for 3% of total world production.but when one strikes oil goes bananas

cheers
cupic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2008, 09:05 PM   #20
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

How would you like the Tax to be implemented?
Would you like the Carbon Tax on fuel say 30c or would you like a Tax implemented on your car renewal based on weight/ fuel consumption and CO2 emissions?
I guess we're still lucky, only having fuel at $1.70. I remeber being in Holand 5yrs ago, they were paying $2.50 then.
I'll probably get shot but ....... Whether this global warming crap is real, nobody knows, but at least we now have someone in power thats acually looking into the future more then just his time in parlament!
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2008, 09:08 PM   #21
Cruise

I'm sure we won't be paying $2 a litre soon
Cruise is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2008, 02:50 PM   #22
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise Control
I'm sure we won't be paying $2 a litre soon
You're in denial then.

We have it lucky here with petrol prices. What we don't have is good roads/public transport.

My mate just bought a rego'd old carolla for $600. Costs him stuff all to run compared to his charger and spends about $50 on fuel a week. I'm going to be doing the same thing. Most people say it's a waste and costs more to get a second car, eh. It adds up pretty quick, and though I realise others may be in different situations. I'd rather pay around $900-1300 up front for a cheap car, just cop it on the chin and be able to drive where ever I want, then feel like a penny pincher with petrol every single week.
Holden made the decision to make thier utes for pretty boys years ago. Wannabe tradesman drive them. If my son came home and told me he bought a holden ute I would struggle to come to grips with the fact he is a homosexual.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2008, 09:09 PM   #23
Cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van D
You're in denial then.
my friend who studies commerce agrees with me, he says the reason petrol has jumped up so much lately is because now when you see petrol going for $1.55 you think you are getting a bargain, yet you are still gatting ripped, you just don't realise it as much.
Cruise is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2008, 09:11 PM   #24
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorya
but at least we now have someone in power thats acually looking into the future more then just his time in parlament!
Bulldust!
Old 28-06-2008, 09:21 PM   #25
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green X
Bulldust!

Come ON!!! Do you worry wether this Global thing is real? Do you have Kids? Do you think how all this could affect them down the track?
If this decision adds lots of coin to there warchest, so be it, they'll have to give it back in some way, ie/better public transport etc.
Would you be happy if elma phud said they'd donate the Carbon tax to CSIRO for R&D into Organic production of fuel so we don't have reliance on the the new wave of Terror? Probably not, Your probably only looking 4yrs down the road.............
Old 29-06-2008, 01:02 PM   #26
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Come ON!!! Do you worry wether this Global thing is real? Do you have Kids? Do you think how all this could affect them down the track?
If this decision adds lots of coin to there warchest, so be it, they'll have to give it back in some way, ie/better public transport etc.
Would you be happy if elma phud said they'd donate the Carbon tax to CSIRO for R&D into Organic production of fuel so we don't have reliance on the the new wave of Terror? Probably not, Your probably only looking 4yrs down the road.............
I Got 2 mates who are environmental scientist's and my Uncle is the environmental go to guy on the hole global warming Jargon i get fed it all the time. Kyoto is outdated, it was signed as a post election hype

I have huge issues with the way the whole carbon Tax works, Bottom line is a group of people is once agene will be making big money out of it and once agene it’s the Average Joe Public that makes the smallest impact takes the hard hit.

My Top boss at work has, a SL5000 Merc, Range rover sport and some other Merc 4WD+ a 60ft Boat do you thick he gives a toss about a Carbon Tax NO, The company Quotes now just get adjusted to cover it and he’s on a $600,000 salary, Do I get a pay rise to cover it NO I just get to Cop it sweet.

If it happens where does my $18 a week in Fuel carbon tax go to?? And how is it helping change the environment. The WA Government just received Billions in new iron ore revenue due to a price hike why is that not being pumped into Environmental change?? No that we will just stick another TAX on fuel instead.

You do the math, if say Just in Australia 20,000,000 people pay $18 a week in carbon tax and all that money is pumped into Environmental change and research, if we don’t have car’s in 3 years that covert goat P*&% into gasoline that when burnt produces oxygen questions need to be rased.

Now that Fuel is 1.60 a liter why don't they take all that Extra Cash they get from that 10%GST that used to take 10% of 90CPL and put that into the environment.

Economist's and Governments Talk growth, growth and growth as well as cliament change, well ya can't have ya cake and eat it to.

Australia’s Footprint on a global scale is so stupidly small even if we go 100% carbon neutral it isn’t going to do Chit.

End rant.
Old 29-06-2008, 02:48 PM   #27
JAZSXY
Parts Fiend

Quote:
Come ON!!! Do you worry wether this Global thing is real?
Its called the circle of life. Earth heats up, earth cools down.... To what we know is an ICE AGE that happens every so many million years. We are only increasing the time frame it comes around by pumping crap into the air. It is inevitable and there is not a damn thing we can do to stop it coming around again. Its just how the world works.

frenzal56, falconxr, loosecannon, lima_been, bo5ton, Mardk, Chapter Four, leakey, POELWYK, Dman4.0, rayban76, tutor, PridenJoy, Aplito Futura, sbutler, Bosko, storta1, portokatsiki, AUte, 5.8, xxxg, FTW-302, LeadFoot81, Peuty, BillM, Sox, needfordspeed, watejs06, CATXR8
JAZSXY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2008, 11:48 PM   #28
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Would you like the Carbon Tax on fuel say 30c or would you like a Tax implemented on your car renewal based on weight/ fuel consumption and CO2 emissions?
I guess we're still lucky, only having fuel at $1.70. I remeber being in Holand 5yrs ago, they were paying $2.50 then.
I'll probably get shot but ....... Whether this global warming crap is real, nobody knows, but at least we now have someone in power thats acually looking into the future more then just his time in parlament!
Krudd has no one but his own stratagies at heart , he is after all a one term pm so will shaft us without mercy and certainly wont put in place anything long term , only a fool would look to the labor party for construction , if they cant stop committing stupid acts like threatening restaurant staff how would they form a sensible stratagy in the face of rising fuel prices ?
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2008, 11:51 PM   #29
honer
Back to N/A land

Quote:

The Earth cooled 0.7degrees C in the last year.
honer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2008, 11:30 AM   #30
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by honer
The Earth cooled 0.7degrees C in the last year.
So does this mean Ice Age occuring for Northern hemisphere???? WOW seems like something is happening hey!!!