Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-08-2018, 07:02 PM   #1
Julza
871 Productions Filmmaker

Default AU XR8 intermediate shaft help

Hi guys,

Hoping you can help with what (should be!) a pretty simple task. Having trouble getting the intermediate shaft on my AU back into position. Have tried some tips kindly provided but it seems like the shaft is too short.

As suggested, I start by inserting the firewall end of the shaft back into the uni joint. I then push it towards the firewall and position the other end over the steering rack, but it doesn't seem to go far down enough (without it pulling out of the firewall end). I'm assuming that the retaining bolts do need to go through the notches on either end of the shaft to hold it in place, but it just doesn't slide down fair enough on the rack end.

Hope that makes sense and any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Julza

http://www.youtube.com/871productions
Julza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2018, 10:01 PM   #2
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 
Default Re: AU XR8 intermediate shaft help

Once the steering shaft socket is inserted into the steering rack shaft (after the other end being inserted into steering column end), it's not possible for it to slip out of the steering column socket complety, is that what's happening? If so, is the shaft the correct item?
PridenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2018, 11:53 PM   #3
Julza

Hi Pridenjoy, with the steering column end inserted, there is enough length for me to just cover the tip of the steering rack shaft, but the steering shaft socket is still sitting about 10-20mm above the bolt notch on the rack shaft. The shaft should be correct as its the one I took off the car to get the header off originally, so I'm not sure if there is a trick at all?

cheers

Old 17-08-2018, 11:58 PM   #4
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

If everything is in place correctly, it's just a matter of lining up the grooves on both end of the shaft with the corresponding grooves on steering column and steering rack and should just slide on and not come out either end. If you still have issues, some pics might help us see what's going on.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 18-08-2018, 11:17 AM   #5
Julza

Thanks Pridenjoy, yes with the notches lined up i can't seem to reach both ends.

If I have the steering column side in with the bolt hole line up with the shaft groove, this is how far down I get it on the rack end:

If I drop it out of the steering column uni until it lines up with the rack notch on the other end, there's not enough length left in the shaft to bolt in the uni end?

Hopefully I'm just doing something stupid as I can't seem to get to clear both ends at the same time?

Thanks

Old 18-08-2018, 11:49 AM   #6
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi. THe shaft on the column will have moved up into the car. You need to fix the intermediate shaft to the column and then move both the intermediate shaft AND the column inner shaft down to the rack as one. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-08-2018, 12:30 PM   #7
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

It's normal for the shaft to be slightly out of the steering column joint when inserted into the steering rack. This pic shows the most it can be out by, it's still held in by the bolt and won't come out anymore.

Old 18-08-2018, 01:30 PM   #8
Julza

hi guys, thanks for the replies. As in the last pic pridenjoy posted, even with the shaft as far out as it will go on the uni end (with the bolt half in), I still end up short about 20mm as in my first pic on the rack end.

As foxtrot has mentioned, is it possible that the inner shaft has moved into the car? from what i can see, i don't see how the uni can move further out of the firewall.

appreciate all the replies guys!

Old 18-08-2018, 03:13 PM   #9
BLU-220
FG XR50 TURBO
Donating Member3

As foxtrot3 as mention you just need to pull down slightly on the column inner shaft down a tad
I had to do that on my because I pushed it back up in the firewall too much
If you get stuck shoot me a Pm and I'm more happy to give you a hand with it

This is how far mine is in the shaft

Cheers Dean
BLU-220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-08-2018, 03:25 PM   #10
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julza View Post
As in the last pic pridenjoy posted, even with the shaft as far out as it will go on the uni end (with the bolt half in), I still end up short about 20mm as in my first pic on the rack end.
Then yes steering column uni joint needs to come out of the fire wall a little to give you the extra few mm.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 19-08-2018, 11:09 PM   #11
undertow

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: AU Aux input HOW TO. 

Is this a replacement shaft - if yes have you checked that it is the same length as the original? If it came from a crashed car it may well have collapsed as it it designed to do.

If not you can try pulling on the top section - just make sure the plastic bearing holder doesn't pop out of the firewall. It should look like PridenJoys pic in post 7 - if it pops out you will get all sorts of noise coming through.
undertow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2018, 05:14 PM   #12
madmurf
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertow View Post
Is this a replacement shaft - if yes have you checked that it is the same length as the original? If it came from a crashed car it may well have collapsed as it it designed to do.

If not you can try pulling on the top section - just make sure the plastic bearing holder doesn't pop out of the firewall. It should look like PridenJoys pic in post 7 - if it pops out you will get all sorts of noise coming through.
Undertow is correct. It should fit in length wise without an issue. I did one 2 weeks ago and the first one provided by the wreckers was around 20mm short. Compare the old one with new one before you go any further.
madmurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2018, 07:48 PM   #13
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

You've most likely damaged the intermediate shaft when you removed it, and it collapsed. They are designed to do so. If so, you will need a new intermediate shaft. Do not try to repair / fix it.

That or as has been said, your steering column inner shaft has collapsed. Which is also designed to do so, but at a much higher impact force than the intermediate shaft.
Tickford. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2018, 07:08 PM   #14
Julza

thanks for all the replies guys its greatly appreciated. haven't had a chance to finish it off with work and the terrible weather this week, but I dare say it seems like the shaft may have collapsed (can't see any other reason why it would be missing length otherwise).

need to try and source a replacement one now...

cheers,
Julza

Old 23-08-2018, 07:09 PM   #15
Julza

P.S. does anyone have a spare one they could measure so that i can compare? I only have the original one that i'm trying to put back in the car to compare at the moment?

Old 25-08-2018, 07:23 PM   #16
Julza

thanks everyone for all the tips and advice, thought i was going crazy!

turns out the shaft had collapsed about 20mm - was only able to source a I6 shaft for now but will be changing back to a V8 one with a heatshield as soon as I source one.

appreciate everyones' input again!

cheers,
Julza

2 users like this post:
Old 25-08-2018, 08:06 PM   #17
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Julza, where in Melb are you?

If you're interested, get yourself a brand new 6 cyl shaft from the link below, then post/give me the new 6cyl plus the old V8 shaft and I will convert the 6cyl shaft to a V8 shaft, just like the factory did, for a small fee. ;)
I have done it a few times now and it's not an issue. Let me know via PM if you're interested.

New genuine 6cyl shaft...
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/STEERING...YAAOSw37tWAzAY

New genuine V8 shaft...
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GENUINE-...8AAOxyni9TFA0x
Old 25-08-2018, 08:23 PM   #18
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

With so many people pulling apart AU's these days, safety items like steering and brakes should be of concern to a prospective buyer when buying from these 'expert AU home mechanics'. I have been caught out myself. Lessons learned.

Wonder how many AU owners out there have removed and re-installed a faulty intermediate shafts not realising they are about to lose steering altogether sooner or later. The 'expert home mechanic' is a worry indeed.

Not a dig at you in particular Julza, but just a general comment.
Old 25-08-2018, 08:41 PM   #19
Julza

no offence taken trickford and totally agree and definitely lesson learnt. thanks for the offer, will shoot you a PM to discuss.

cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickford View Post
With so many people pulling apart AU's these days, safety items like steering and brakes should be of concern to a prospective buyer when buying from these 'expert AU home mechanics'. I have been caught out myself. Lessons learned.

Wonder how many AU owners out there have removed and re-installed a faulty intermediate shafts not realising they are about to lose steering altogether sooner or later. The 'expert home mechanic' is a worry indeed.

Not a dig at you in particular Julza, but just a general comment.

Old 29-01-2022, 06:23 AM   #20
Chrysler
Mopar or FoMoCar

Does anyone know where to get a new/NOS/refurbished intermediate shaft for an XR8? Mine's got slop in it and I've been looking everywhere for a replacement or someone to fix mine. No luck so far.
Old 29-01-2022, 12:26 PM   #21
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysler View Post
Does anyone know where to get a new/NOS/refurbished intermediate shaft for an XR8? Mine's got slop in it and I've been looking everywhere for a replacement or someone to fix mine. No luck so far.
I have a few good second hand 6 cylinder ones if you're stuck, you just need to swap the heat shielding onto it. PM if you need anything.
Old 29-01-2022, 05:19 PM   #22
Chrysler
Mopar or FoMoCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PridenJoy View Post
I have a few good second hand 6 cylinder ones if you're stuck, you just need to swap the heat shielding onto it. PM if you need anything.
Thanks for the offer mate. So the heat shielding is the only difference? I've swapped the original headers for Hurricanes so I'm not sure how close the pipes are now. I know I had to remove the intermediate shaft to remove the stock 4-1 headers as the shaft went through the pipes, but not the Hurricanes.
Old 29-01-2022, 05:27 PM   #23
Chrysler
Mopar or FoMoCar

PM sent mate. As mentioned, I found this last night at Castlemaine Rod Shop: https://www.rodshop.com.au/parts-fin...ering/ford/au/

Looks like they sell the unis, but I need to see how they fit. I thought it might be welded to the shaft, which is beyond my backyard repair capabilities.