Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 30-10-2008, 08:49 AM   #1
james22
With da Warlords

Default Knock sensor fault...

Hi people.

Yesterday afternoon, I had the Mrs AUII checked over for rego. While it was in there, I asked the guys to pull any error codes out of the computer.

Anyway, the car has been running horribly for quite a while now, Not starting in the morning when cold, running really rich, and lost a lot of get up and go.

I've been scratching my head over the cause for ages and it had me stumped. I'd tried replacing the 02 sensor, plugs, leads. Cleaned the T/body and ISC, reset the ecu, all to no avail.

So wasn't I pleasently suprised when the computer actually made my job easier for a change, by giving me an error code for the knock sensor.

Now what I wanted to know, is what the symptoms of a dud, or malfuctioning knock sensor are.
I know that its job is to retard the timing when the car starts pinging, but if it was faulty could it cause so many drama's with the car? Rich, lack of power, unco-operative starting etc

Cheers for your input people...

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2008, 10:08 AM   #2
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Put it in the "Heal Up Bin"... lmao! works for others it seems :P
Old 30-10-2008, 10:18 AM   #3
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well, one would assume that it the sensor is faulty, it thinks the engine is pinging all the time, so it richens the mixture and pulls timing to stop it from pinging, but because it's not pinging, the car actually runs like crap.
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2008, 10:25 AM   #4
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh
well, one would assume that it the sensor is faulty, it thinks the engine is pinging all the time, so it richens the mixture and pulls timing to stop it from pinging, but because it's not pinging, the car actually runs like crap.
Exactly. It will put in fuel, pull out timing and leave you with a car that chews petrol, won't start and has no go.

Exactly your symptoms described.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2008, 10:31 AM   #5
james22
With da Warlords

Fair dinkum ^^^^, so all this crap that I've been trying to work out for the last 2.5 years is due to a single dud sensor. Excuse me but F@rk. Should have tested the ecu years ago lol. Mrs has been getting 21-24 litres per 100km, and going off her head about it lol. It uses more than my v8 hehe

So how much do knock sensors cost people?

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

Old 30-10-2008, 10:41 AM   #6
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by james22
Fair dinkum ^^^^, so all this crap that I've been trying to work out for the last 2.5 years is due to a single dud sensor. Excuse me but F@rk. Should have tested the ecu years ago lol. Mrs has been getting 21-24 litres per 100km, and going off her head about it lol. It uses more than my v8 hehe

So how much do knock sensors cost people?
Get on to FTG, they do Genuine Ford parts at trade prices for us.
Old 30-10-2008, 10:50 AM   #7
james22
With da Warlords

Thanks for the help everybody :-)

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

Old 30-10-2008, 11:25 AM   #8
honer
Back to N/A land

Learn something new everyday, didn't even know our Windsor had Knock Sensors

E series did not though ?
honer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2008, 11:38 AM   #9
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by honer
Learn something new everyday, didn't even know our Windsor had Knock Sensors

E series did not though ?
This was about his mrs AUII I6.

Our wheezas don't have them, trust me on that.
Old 30-10-2008, 11:53 AM   #10
james22
With da Warlords

Yeah, russell knows all about that. If we had knock sensors he probably wouldn't have a stroker at the moment roflmao... Not that its a bad thing. Good excuse as any lol

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

Old 30-10-2008, 12:14 PM   #11
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Yeah, russell knows all about that. If we had knock sensors he probably wouldn't have a stroker at the moment roflmao... Not that its a bad thing. Good excuse as any lol
grrrrrrrrrrr :

Damn detonation :

Still it did give me an excuse :evil3:
Old 30-10-2008, 12:26 PM   #12
honer
Back to N/A land

Hahahaha on I6 I should have taken a little more time in the reading...

Russ don't go hating on our Wheezers cos you melted a slug and had to build a tough stroker ;) ;) ;)
honer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2008, 12:53 PM   #13
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Just goes to show even if you're a bit handy, its very worthwhile taking your car to a real mechanic with a scan tool.
Old 30-10-2008, 01:01 PM   #14
james22
With da Warlords

^^^ Thats it mate. A lot of time wasted, and I never would have known till the error code came up. So, if your car has got a problem, and you can't figure it... Go get your codes checked

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

Old 30-10-2008, 10:21 PM   #15
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh
Mine has been doing that as well (sorry I didn't see this thread and started a new one) BUT it also pinks when coming into slight acceleration/load from cruise... eg a slight squeeze on the pedal to maintain constant speed up a slight grade.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2008, 10:23 PM   #16
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
^^^ Thats it mate. A lot of time wasted, and I never would have known till the error code came up. So, if your car has got a problem, and you can't figure it... Go get your codes checked
Having a Ford Flash 2 also helps. I can check or clear my codes myself, anytime.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2008, 06:09 AM   #17
SA-AUII-MAX
true blue

Before you go and buy a new sensor, check the multi-plug that is located at the back of the engine on the intake side. Mine was corroded and not making proper contact due to engine washes. Had similar problems that got fixed by just cleaning the plug and spraying it with Q20 or WD40. Make sure that the knock sensor bold is torqued at the right Nm, otherwise it might influence it working operation as it picks up frequency.
SA-AUII-MAX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #18
hortiboi
Starter Motor

Default Re: Knock sensor fault...

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but I've just been able to find my Knock Sensor was faulty. For 18 months it hasn't thrown any error codes and cost me 3.5K trying to find the problem. It was inhibiting TC lock up and felt like the tranny was slipping so tranny rebuilt. Leads, coil pack, intake manifold gasket, fuel pump, TPS x 2, ECU were all replaced and only now the error code has come up. Took it into an auto electrician yesterday to have electric brakes disconnected and he tested the wiring harness,ECU inputs etc and found this KS fault. I had a look around on the web and found other people were getting the same symptoms without being able to pinpoint the fault.
hortiboi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #19
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Glad to hear you found the problem eventually , let us know the results when you replace the k's.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2013, 02:57 AM   #20
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Post 17 SA-AUII-MAX mentions corrosion in the engine bay wiring loom plug due to high pressure washing, this is why for 8.5 years i have never put a high pressure hose near the engine bay(fairdinkum ! ), that's my story and i'm stickin to it ......... no really .
On another note i have always suspected very high pressure water near delicate crank angle sensors to also be a possible problem too..... again no engine pressure wash for this little black duck and 8.5 years of trouble free motoring.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2023, 02:38 PM   #21
LukesAu2
Starter Motor

Hey guys,
I’ve got the same knock sensor fault on my auII Ute I6 but cannot get rid of it. I’ve tried changing the knock sensor and have changed the ecu but it is still coming up, the knock sensor plug has continuity to the ecu and has a supply voltage, before realising it was the knock sensor I changed out the O2 sensor, new plugs and leads, new coolant temp sensor.

I’ve also heard the you can squash a knock sensor so I have a new one on the way and will get a torque wrench when it arrives

My question is what else should I try if the new sensor does nothing?

Also sorry for bringing back an thread

Last edited by LukesAu2; 04-12-2023 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Add more info
LukesAu2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2024, 12:29 PM   #22
bondy99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG View Post
Get on to FTG, they do Genuine Ford parts at trade prices for us.
Who or what does FTG stand for?

I may need a new knock sensor for the AU2
bondy99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2024, 05:20 PM   #23
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Fren Tree Gully wreckers in Victoria
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post