Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Fiesta Zetec 24 77.42%
Fiesta Eco-netic 7 22.58%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20-04-2010, 11:07 AM   #1
JutroXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default ZETEC or ECO-NETIC

Hi all,

just wanted to get your opinions on the Zetec v Eco-netic Fiestas.

Any positives/negatives?

Does anyone own an Eco-netic? If so how do they drive?

Cheers,
Dan

FGX XR8, Auto, Black.

WG Fiesta ST Manual, Black.
JutroXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2010, 11:43 AM   #2
Keyan
Starter Motor

No doubt both cars are brilliant. I prefer Zetec, which looks better, drives better (better tyre, less weight at front), quicker, and sportier feel, and cheaper.
I believe you need to be very consevative to achieve 3.9/100km if you not drive free way most of time. Eco-netic may hold its value better.
Keyan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2010, 01:35 PM   #3
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd love a Fiesta Zetec 1.6L TDCi, but in Australia that seems to be nothing more than a dream. I vote Fiesta Zetec, for the following:

- Looks. The body kit, alloy wheels and chrome detailing make it look ace.
- Features. The Zetec is brimming with high tech kit, and does have a bit more than the ECOnetic.
- Finish. The chrome accents, alloy wheels, nicely finished 'Dotts' seats and glossy silver finish inside the Zetec make it look and feel a cut above.
- Driving. The ECOnetic is still a good little drive, but the Zetec and its bigger, grippier tires have it positioned much better.
- Performance. At the end of the day the Zetec is no rocket ship, but it packs more punch and loves to be revved.

While the fuel economy advantage of the ECOnetic may appeal to some, I think these other features make it a better car. A cheaper buy price too and the option of an automatic transmission (despite it being a 1.4L) make the Zetec a winner for me. In saying that though, for a small diesel engine, with only skinny tires, the ECOnetic is still a decent little handler and the fact you can achieve mid fours in the fuel economy without trying to be eco-friendly, proves it has a market too.
Old 20-04-2010, 02:40 PM   #4
JutroXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for that!

What kind of fuel economy do you achieve in your Zetecs?

FGX XR8, Auto, Black.

Old 20-04-2010, 04:43 PM   #5
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Depends on where I'm driving mate. On a smooth hi-way I can get high fours, on normal roads mid fives, and around town mid sixs. I've averaging 5.7L/100km right now based on 50% hi-way and 50% Toowoomba traffic. And my car very seldom stays under 300RPM! It's no where near as powerful as your G6E Turbo, so it needs to be revved! You thinking of buying one fella?
Old 20-04-2010, 05:13 PM   #6
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if u do alot of longish distance driving go for the econetic, if u want zetec looks, get the rims and put them on and maybe even the body kits. as for on the inside it is all zetec spec i believe, (stereo etc).
short distance driving, go for the zetec.
according to reviews the econetic drives pretty much exactly the same as the regular fiesta, so handling ride etc, only engine is different really....
fiestaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2010, 05:43 PM   #7
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

What are people getting outta the Zetec's average fuel??
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2010, 05:48 PM   #8
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz
if u want zetec looks, get the rims and put them on and maybe even the body kits.
As the ECOnetic has special low-rolling resistance tires, this will increase fuel consumption. The tires are also quite skinny, and the covers on the wheels actually help reduce the wind resistance.

Quote:
fon the inside it is all zetec spec i believe, (stereo etc).
It is Zetec spec, but misses out on the higher grade seating, leather gear lever, scruff plates and the gloss silver finish on the door pulls and speedo cover. Misses out on some map pockets on the seats and power rear windows too.

Quote:
short distance driving, go for the zetec.
This is where the ECOnetic comes alive. It loves this stop-start traffic. My Zetec can get quite high in stock start traffic (such as Brisbane 5:00PM I've seen high sevens), but the ECOnetic can still return a reasonable figure.

Quote:
to reviews the econetic drives pretty much exactly the same as the regular fiesta, so handling ride etc, only engine is different really.
You do notice those skinny tires, and compared to the Zetec isn't not as fine tuned or connected. Still a great car though
Old 20-04-2010, 06:11 PM   #9
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhilton
As the ECOnetic has special low-rolling resistance tires, this will increase fuel consumption. The tires are also quite skinny, and the covers on the wheels actually help reduce the wind resistance.

It is Zetec spec, but misses out on the higher grade seating, leather gear lever, scruff plates and the gloss silver finish on the door pulls and speedo cover. Misses out on some map pockets on the seats and power rear windows too.

This is where the ECOnetic comes alive. It loves this stop-start traffic. My Zetec can get quite high in stock start traffic (such as Brisbane 5:00PM I've seen high sevens), but the ECOnetic can still return a reasonable figure.

You do notice those skinny tires, and compared to the Zetec isn't not as fine tuned or connected. Still a great car though
wow you know ur stuff haha...

yes i forgot to mention that if u were to fit the zetec rims, fuel economy would suffer a bit, but handling would most likely improve.

what i meant by long trips is more than say 15 minutes. i do very very short trips everyday of the week to school, takes about 5 minutes, most of which im at traffic lights. waiting.... thats when fuel economy would suffer whether its a petrol or diesel.

something else to consider would be performance.... if you have a heavy foot, the diesel while returning good economy, wouldnt really give the power u want, despite a large amount of torque.
fiestaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2010, 06:43 PM   #10
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my lady drives the zetec everyday... 35mins each way to work... she averages 6.0-6.5ltrs in general... but her average speed over entire tanks is 40km/h so city traffic is what kills the consumption...

on the highway trips we've done, we get 5ltrs/100kms

unless u drove mile after mile i'd get the zetec
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2010, 07:07 PM   #11
shevek

The econetic is specked down in minor ways, mainly to save weight. This relates partly to Euro road tax based on CO2 emissions, fuel economy & weight.
Not so relevant here. Also fuel is cheaper here.

For instance, steel wheels, no spare tyre. Also no power rear windows, no projector headlights, none of the flashy zetec stuff.

Still, petrol ain't going to get any cheaper ...

Last edited by shevek; 20-04-2010 at 07:09 PM. Reason: misspelling
shevek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2010, 07:58 PM   #12
InTrail

Ford are asking $21,990 on road for the 5dr Zetec at the moment. $3k saving over the Econetic pays for a lot of fuel plus you get the higher spec equipment.

That said, still think I'd prefer the Econetic just for the mid range torque. I found the 1.6l petrol rather uninspiring even though it did spin out nicely.
Old 20-04-2010, 09:20 PM   #13
vegabass
BASS ON BOARD!

Yep I hate the lower rev range of the petrol 1.6, It like a turbo...waiting waiting waiting BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST!

I'm thinking about getting a full exhaust system with header design to promote lower RPM torque.

Last edited by vegabass; 20-04-2010 at 09:27 PM.
vegabass is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2010, 09:48 PM   #14
Cyborg1978

I chose the Zetec because I like to drive my car. And I like to have as much bling on a car as I can get. I get 640km out of a tank of petrol. So $3k price diff is alot of fuel. Not to mention the loss of driving dynamics. IMO of course.
Cyborg1978 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2010, 12:02 AM   #15
JutroXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhilton
Depends on where I'm driving mate. On a smooth hi-way I can get high fours, on normal roads mid fives, and around town mid sixs. I've averaging 5.7L/100km right now based on 50% hi-way and 50% Toowoomba traffic. And my car very seldom stays under 300RPM! It's no where near as powerful as your G6E Turbo, so it needs to be revved! You thinking of buying one fella?
Yeah I had a G6ET, but got rid of it last year. Got a Focus Zetec which is due for change over in a couple of months. So I'm thinking the Fiesta to try out this time around. Then hopefully back into a falcon V8 the following year.

FGX XR8, Auto, Black.

Old 21-04-2010, 10:04 PM   #16
JClarke
Deaf Driver

Zetec wins hands down! :
Old 21-04-2010, 11:46 PM   #17
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JutroXR8
Yeah I had a G6ET, but got rid of it last year. Got a Focus Zetec which is due for change over in a couple of months. So I'm thinking the Fiesta to try out this time around. Then hopefully back into a falcon V8 the following year.

Ive come from V8's and 6's and this is a completely different kind of power, in that the aussie stuff has the torque all there right away, but these little engines really need the revs to go crazy... peak torque for the 1.6 petrol is at 4000rpm and peak power is around 6000rpm.

Once your used to that, its a fantastically fun little car to drive... if you have hills where you live, you'll absolutely love it...

I've found if you keep it to around 3000rpm for gear changes as well, your fuel economy is fantastic... but after a while you'll want to hear that great induction noise above 4000rpm that it has... and you cant help yourself!!! :
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 11:44 AM   #18
JutroXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

great induction noise on a 4 cylinder? Personally, I haven't heard a good sounding 4 banger yet. Just not my thing.

But I am looking forward to taking it to the twisty roads of the Great Ocean Road to test it out a little. Sounds like it will be fun.

Thanks for your responses!

Still waiting on seeing if anyone has driven an Eco-netic?????

FGX XR8, Auto, Black.

Old 22-04-2010, 02:44 PM   #19
vegabass
BASS ON BOARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JutroXR8
great induction noise on a 4 cylinder? Personally, I haven't heard a good sounding 4 banger yet. Just not my thing.

I have to say the SR20 is a pretty good sounding 4 banger. As long as there is no cannon involved.
Old 23-04-2010, 05:06 PM   #20
StrokedXT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoesLikeAZetec
Ive come from V8's and 6's and this is a completely different kind of power, in that the aussie stuff has the torque all there right away, but these little engines really need the revs to go crazy... peak torque for the 1.6 petrol is at 4000rpm and peak power is around 6000rpm.

Once your used to that, its a fantastically fun little car to drive... if you have hills where you live, you'll absolutely love it...

I've found if you keep it to around 3000rpm for gear changes as well, your fuel economy is fantastic... but after a while you'll want to hear that great induction noise above 4000rpm that it has... and you cant help yourself!!! :
Yes its a very different type of power completely ie the 6 and 8s have a little and the fiesta has none. The engine is the biggest downer in the fiesta it is absolutely the most gutless thing i have ever driven.

So just rev the crap out of them and leave them on the limiter through the bends to keep some speed up and they go quick, its just getting up to that speed in the first place that takes a long long time.

As for an awesome induction noise, umm cant say i agree it seems pretty sad to me.
StrokedXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 05:25 PM   #21
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The engine in the 1.6L is fantastic, the five speed manual is a great little shifter (get a short throw shifter though, makes it even sweeter) and it loves to rev. It's quite smooth, very refined for a little four banger and has enough punch to get you going in most situations. Great little engine IMHO. But the 1.4L auto will leave you feeling a little underwhelmed compared to the manual, and especially in comparison to a G6E Turbo!!!
Old 23-04-2010, 05:28 PM   #22
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegabass
I have to say the SR20 is a pretty good sounding 4 banger. As long as there is no cannon involved.
I prefer the SR71 myself
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 05:29 PM   #23
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If I was in the market for a Fiesta, I'd want the most economical version (becauase surely that's one of the main reasons for wanting to buy a Fiesta in the first place).

That's why I went eco-netic.

Would be interesting to see what the cost of service is like on the eco-netic...
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2010, 11:30 PM   #24
JutroXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXR6
If I was in the market for a Fiesta, I'd want the most economical version (becauase surely that's one of the main reasons for wanting to buy a Fiesta in the first place).

That's why I went eco-netic.

Would be interesting to see what the cost of service is like on the eco-netic...
How does she drive?

FGX XR8, Auto, Black.

Old 29-04-2010, 01:08 AM   #25
BruceT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
What are people getting outta the Zetec's average fuel??
6.96 litres/100km since I got it (15,000 km and nearly 1 year ago). I've kept a record of fuel consumption (based on bowser figures), petrol cost, odometer, etc. I would spend about $25 a week on fuel, or around $1250 a year. Oh, it's the 1.6 manual.

I like the idea of the Econetic - impressive fuel consumption - but at best I'd save at most $500 a year on fuel. That's not really worth it if it means doing without the Zetec's "zing" and extra features, including safety features.

The diesel adds about $3000 to the car cost - that's 6 years driving at least. I've not compared depreciation, insurance etc. I also suspect diesel will get more expensive faster than ULP. Diesel is imported and there is big competition from Europe. Australian crude is used to make ULP.

- Jeremy Clarkson on the WS Fiesta Zetec
BruceT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post