Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-11-2017, 11:12 PM   #1
The Big V

Default Fuel Gauge Faulty

Ok so I have a Fairmont Ghia 1999 model and have just had the fuel pump replaced. Now when I fill the car up it reads empty and the fuel light is on even though the tanks is full. Once the car uses some fuel it reads normal until I fill her up again. Any ideas as to what's going on and what need to be fixed?
Thanks in advance.
The Big V is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2017, 06:48 PM   #2
Ken_AUXR8

Default Re: Fuel Gauge Faulty

Did you replace just the pump itself, or the whole pump assembly bracket and float?

From memory it's a separate little float arm and circuit that sends the fuel level, nothing actually to do with the pump itself.

Not an expert though so someone may correct me.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk
Ken_AUXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2017, 06:53 PM   #3
The Big V

Pretty sure my mechanic replaced the whole assembly.
The Big V is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2017, 07:00 PM   #4
Ken_AUXR8

If that's the case, and your fuel gauge worked fine on the previous one, I'd talk to your mechanic about it. Maybe you got one that's faulty.

I replaced mine not so long ago, the whole unit.
Reason was my fuel pump had done 265k and likely original, but the gauge showed 1/8 tank higher than it should, and i ran out of fuel one day thinking i had still 100kays left.

Once replaced, the gauge is pretty much spot on.
And the new pump got rid of some flat spots too!

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk
Ken_AUXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: