Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 18-09-2018, 09:10 AM   #1
Steezy
Starter Motor

Thumbs down Ford Focus LS - Smoke on acceleration

Hey guys,
I’ve had a search and come up blank in here so I though someone might know what’s up if I posted.
So my car has this odd issue where it will blow smoke and rattle under acceleration. It seems to only happen when the car goes from no load, to 50-100% load. Almost as if it’s just before the auto fully engages. It’s more prone to happen on hills as well.
So far I’ve tried changing/ cleaning the EGR valve and the swirl plate solenoid (bear in mind I’ve changed with car yard parts, so every chance they could still be faulty).
The EGR valve previously has a gasket issue, where a small bit of coolant had leaked into the valve and EGR ports in the block. Wether or not this could still be contributing to the issue is beyond me, but can anyone also advise the best way to clean the ports in the block out ?

Other potentially related issues:
• it’s done 205k kms
• It’s a bit rough at idle, almost like a broken engine mount.
• it chews through fuel, it’s doing 11.5L/100km in moderate city driving.
• burns oil, is close to black within a month of changing

If looked into the Duratec 2.0’s and most people seem to indicate it’s the EGR. But I’m hesitant to replace the whole EGR system if there’s other potential problems it could be.
Any help is appreciated !
Steezy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2018, 09:46 AM   #2
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford Focus LS - Smoke on acceleration

among other things could be worn valve guides or the valve stem caps have started to fail.
if your spark plugs have a dark growth on them its from burning oil.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2018, 10:12 AM   #3
JasTDi
Starter Motor

Default Re: Ford Focus LS - Smoke on acceleration

It sounds like its just getting on in life. You could try putting some Moreys oil stabilizer in on the next service and see if that helps?

If it does then it may just be worn bearings and rings.
JasTDi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post