Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 25-04-2014, 11:31 PM   #1
Martyab76
Starter Motor

Default Fuel Pump Failure

Ok all, sorry if this has already been done, but I can't see it.

Anyway, so I own a 2008 zetec petrol mondeo, all has been well in the 14 months I've had it, except last night, stopped to get mail went to start it, wouldn't fire up, tried a few times but wouldn't start. RAA were called and I was informed that it was most likely fuel starvation, probably fuel pump failure.

Question is, what's the likely cost? Main dealer has it and should be looking at it on Monday.

Thanks in advance

Martyab76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2014, 02:24 PM   #2
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Default Re: Fuel Pump Failure

I wouldn't be surprised if it were $250-$400 for aftermarket or $600+ genuine from a Dealer. Me personally if I'm around 60% or higher for an aftermarket in cost compared to a genuine, I'd rather go genuine. but if you could find an aftermarket one and come in 50% cheaper or better, then that's how I'd go.

That's just me, but the aftermarket one has to be half decent, can't be **** weak nasty. So on spec pressure and flow wise.
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2014, 06:37 PM   #3
mighty-mon

Check it not a fuse also. My XR5 Mondy died due to fuse blowing but you need to get to the bottom of it. In my case when Ford fitted a new plenum they wedged the injector loom between it and the motor and caused it to short out. Silly buggers!
mighty-mon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2014, 06:40 PM   #4
Martyab76
Starter Motor

RAA checked relays and fuses all was good.

Thanks for the thought
Old 27-10-2015, 04:55 AM   #5
yelpir

Sorry to rustle this up but I now have the same problem on a 2008 petrol engine Mondeo. A hammer hit to the fuel tank has the car working again and the RAA guy was sure it was a fuel pump. My car was his third that day with a similar issue. How did fixing yours go, cost-wise and has it been good since then?
yelpir is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2015, 08:59 AM   #6
Martyab76
Starter Motor

Main dealer confirmed it was the fuel pump that had failed, removed the tank and replaced the pump, costing me $1000 all up. not a happy chap. However no problem since (touch wood)
Old 27-10-2015, 09:49 PM   #7
yelpir

Thanks Martyab76. The word back is that they could not find anything wrong with the pump and that all parameters were within specs. They did find a loose connection somewhere in the tank that they fixed but they didn't change the pump. Car starts fine now. I have been told to keep driving it and bring it back if the car does not start again and only paid for labor. Either the pump had a glitch or is giving early signs of dying, only time will tell.

A bit of history, car was side-swiped a couple of weeks ago and spent a week being repaired (including rear bumper removal and repair). Perhaps that was a contributory factor
yelpir is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2015, 01:46 PM   #8
Canyonero
Wow, this is roomy!

I have a 2012 MC Zetec EcoBoost. The engine warning light came on and the scan showed that it is a low flow fault with the main fuel pump in the tank. There is apparently a second, high pressure pump on the engine. I've been told the car is OK to drive and have booked it into the dealer after the new year to have it diagnosed in more detail. The technician has told me that he has seen some with a poor attachment on the electrical connector for the pump that caused an intermittent fault, but they need to look at it.

My issue is that the car has only done 48,000km with a full service history and is just two months out of warranty. I had the last service done at the dealer, 45,000km, and asked for a full warranty check and scan and they found no issues. I am really loathe to pay a squillion dollars for the dealer to remove the tank and fix the problem, particularly if there is some history with the fault.

Ideally I would like Ford to repair it FOC as a goodwill matter due to the low mileage and relative low age of the car. What is the likelihood of that and any suggestions how I can go about it?

Thank you.

MINE: Escape ZG Trend 2.0L EcoBoost AWD, Magnetic with Technology Pack, Power Tailgate and Keyless Entry

SWMBO: "The Canyonero" Territory SY TS AWD, 7 seats, Mercury Silver (Now gone to a new home, Feb 2024)
Canyonero is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2016, 11:57 AM   #9
Canyonero
Wow, this is roomy!

Update. The quote from the dealer to replace the fuel pump was $1150!!!! They said that they would take up the goodwill issue with Ford, but of course they didn't. I emailed Ford Customer Care directly with all the details. Ford came back with an offer to provide the parts FOC and I pay the labour of $297. I figured that this was the best I was going to get, so I agreed. I do think though that $853 is an awful lot for a fuel pump. I have my doubts about the quote I was given for that reason. I think I may ask my regular mechanic to get a quote just out of curiosity. My dealer provides excellent sales service, but appallingly bad after sales service.

MINE: Escape ZG Trend 2.0L EcoBoost AWD, Magnetic with Technology Pack, Power Tailgate and Keyless Entry

SWMBO: "The Canyonero" Territory SY TS AWD, 7 seats, Mercury Silver (Now gone to a new home, Feb 2024)
Canyonero is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2016, 12:25 PM   #10
Mondaveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyonero View Post
Ford came back with an offer to provide the parts FOC and I pay the labour of $297. I figured that this was the best I was going to get, so I agreed.
Thanks for letting us know how it turned out. Good call and good outcome I reckon, considering usually once you're out of the warranty period you're SOL.

I guess this begs the question of why is the Ford standard warranty period still only 3 years? Kia and Hyundai offer seven years, Citroen is six, and even some of the Chinese manufacturers provide five years coverage. Ford really need to step it up to show they stand behind their product IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post