Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 24-02-2016, 11:04 AM   #1
Groomy
Starter Motor

Default 6000CD Audio over Bluetooth Hack (Android, iOS and Windows)

So I purchased a secondhand MC Mondeo LX after deciding that the extra features for the Zetec (or Titanium) models weren't worth the extra dollars to me.
However, it was only after buying the vehicle that I learned that the Bluetooth capabilities of the 6000CD are restricted to Phone calls only.

I like to listen to podcasts while I drive and I've been making do with an Aux cable until I stumbled upon this nifty "hack" that forces an Android phone to push audio through the Phone Bluetooth as a pseudo "call".

The audio quality is pretty rubbish, so definitely wouldn't recommend this for music, but for talking podcasts, it's acceptable.

There's a few Apps on the Play Store that allow you to implement this "feature", but from my limited experimentation, this seems to be the best.
BT mono
The rest seem to drop out quite frequently for my headunit anyway.

I don't own any Windows Phone or iPhone/iPod devices to investigate if these platforms have similar apps. Given their more restrictive nature, it wouldn't surprise me if this is an Android only option.
Groomy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2016, 01:06 PM   #2
Groomy
Starter Motor

Default Re: 6000CD Audio over Bluetooth Hack (Android)

Update: Googling "BT Mono iOS" brought me to these iOS apps
http://www.goldenloop.com/btmono/
https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/a2dp...448525106?mt=8
that should do the same thing for iPhone/iPod/iPad

and Googling "BT Mono Windows Phone" brought me to this Windows app
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/stor...e/9wzdncrdqnrm

There may be more, that's just a quick search..

I can confirm that the phone still able to take calls while listening to a Podcast

I've only taken 1 call and I haven't yet made a call, but my experience was the phone rings via the phone speaker on the first (maybe second ring) while the Podcast connection is dropped and the phone connection is raised, but then comes through the headunit as normal.
The phone stops the Podcast from playing (while the call is connected) as normal, and then starts playing through the phone speaker when the call ends.
You can buy the "pro" version of the BT Mono app ($1) to reconnect the podcast audio following a call.
I will probably buy the upgrade, but I've only tested for 30 minutes or so to date. And I want to make sure I'm happy with the system before I commit.
This free app also claims to do the reconnect after a call, but I had dropout issues with it.
Dynamic Media BT Mono Router
Old 24-02-2016, 05:52 PM   #3
gpierce

Default Re: 6000CD Audio over Bluetooth Hack (Android, iOS and Windows)

The other thing you can do is connect a bluetooth receiver to the audio in. I use these in my old school cars that have no BT at all:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-3-5mm...YAAOSwBahVgBHa
-14 FPV Pursuit Ute #47 Auto
-12 FPV Pursuit Rspec #44 Manual
-11 FPV GS Ute #225 Manual
-10 FG XR8 Ute Manual

Sold
-06 BF XR8 Ute
-75 XB Falcon Coupe 351 GT replica
-73 Ford Mustang convertible 351
-20 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
gpierce is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2016, 06:50 PM   #4
Groomy
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpierce View Post
The other thing you can do is connect a bluetooth receiver to the audio in. I use these in my old school cars that have no BT at all:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-3-5mm...YAAOSwBahVgBHa
The issue I have with that dilution is that it stops the ability to take calls over Bluetooth (I think)
Old 25-02-2016, 05:25 AM   #5
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groomy View Post
The issue I have with that dilution is that it stops the ability to take calls over Bluetooth (I think)
It shouldn't affect it. As far as the car stereo is concerned, you have an Aux cable plugged in.

I'll try one myself. Having to use a cable to play music is a real pain.
Old 25-02-2016, 11:06 AM   #6
Aus911

I think the issue could be the bluetooth being taken up playing music so it can't connect to the radio for phone calls... I could be wrong!!
Aus911 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2016, 11:23 AM   #7
Groomy
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus911 View Post
I think the issue could be the bluetooth being taken up playing music so it can't connect to the radio for phone calls... I could be wrong!!
I also think this will be a problem..
The phone is the "brains" of the operation.. the headunit will do what it's told to do. But I don't think the phone will break an existing connection on a different protocol (A2DP).

This hack uses the Headset protocol just like a call does, but the phone knows that it's not actually on a call, so it's happy to change the source of the audio from the media player to the call.
Old 25-02-2016, 11:25 AM   #8
Groomy
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus911 View Post
I also think this will be a problem..
I don't think the phone will break an existing connection on a different protocol (A2DP).

This hack uses the Headset protocol just like a call does. but the phone knows that it's not actually on a call, so it's happy to change the source of the audio from the media player to the call.

I'm more than happy to be proven wrong though.. I have a similar device to the one linked above, but it uses battery power so you have to turn it on/off. Even when charging it stays off unless you turn it on. For $4 I'd happily make the investment in a new BT device.